• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
No it absolutely necessarily.

If I pay money for a game it should be good now. Not some vague possible future good game.

Anthem had its chance. It failed. It's a bad game and will always be a bad game no matter how much of a "roadmap" EA may have.

Actual SaaS products advise that you should always make a purchasing decision on what there is, not what there is down the road. It's quite applicable to GaaS.

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe they should put all their focus on a relaunch next year, implementing/ taking advice from all the feed back they've gotten as well as add new major content. Will that save the game? Maybe. It might be significantly better then, but will the player base care is the question. Me personally, I'm just waiting on that hypothetical relaunch before diving into the game.

Why though. Final Fantasy XIV's failure was seen as an existential threat to the company's future. Is Anthem anywhere near that important to EA? It has no history and fans have no investment in it.

I'd much rather see BioWare chalk this up to a failed experiment and get back to what they know they're good at.

EA can try again with another GAAS, it'd be easier for them to start from scratch at this point then un-poison the Anthem brand.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ded Game

I knew Anthem would flop, so it's not a surprise the fan base have moved on. Didn't ERA mostly predict this would flop? I reckon it won't be topped in 2019 but let's see...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
shinobi602 any thoughts or anything to add, Mr. Administrator? I recall you being one of the more regular and vocal Anthem players here and a fairly big apologist as I remember it.

Your absence in these discussions is conspicuous.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
FO76 is in the process of it. The entire subreddit for the last week during the free E3 trial was "wow this game is actually pretty good, nice job Bethesda" and the BR has been received very well.

Fair, but I think there's an established audience there that are interested in the game because it's tied to an IP that they're already, heavily invested in.

Also, given Fallout 76's sales figures, I think it's going to be difficult to spin the game as a success, without a large number of updates. I do believe they can make a good game if they stick with it, but whether the rest of its potential audience will consider giving it a go, is another issue entirely. And for Anthem, a game without an existing fanbase, I think that issue is much harder to surmount.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is Andromeda more shooty than story? Because I've thought about trying it.
Shooting is fun. There are many abilities and it is basically class-less; you can combine whatever abilities you like. The visuals are amazing and the story is not the garbage people like to color it because there are several degrees between amazing, good, average, mediocre, subpar, bad, and trash that many people forget purposefully. Tone is very different from the trilogy, though because the whole background (of the protagonist) is not military, so characters in general are a bit more lighthearted.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
maxresdefault.jpg

Case Study:

Fallout 76 releases first.
  • Reviews terribly. Bugs everywhere. Huge performance and visual issues. Lacklustre gameplay, no real endgame, and poor player interaction.
  • Today - Big showing at Bethesda's E3, with a BR mode shadow drop and detailing a big update adding NPCs, companions for your camps, and a new main quest. Lots of new content since launch adding new events. Lots of bug fixes fixed. Performance issues almost completely solved. Player camps now incredibly useful and interactive, especially thanks to player stores.
Anthem releases second.
  • Reviews terribly. Bugs everywhere. Loading screens everywhere. Lacklustre gameplay, small world, short story, bland endgame.
  • Today - EA pretended it didn't exist at E3. Roadmap has been abandoned. All content delayed. No new content announced. Game is still atrocious, with no new content in sight, and no sign from EA that they care to fix it.
Division 2 releases last.
  • Reviews very well. Performs well. Looks great. Solid gameplay with good endgame.
  • Today - Big showcase at E3. Three new content updates announced and dated for the year ahead. Loads for the players to look forward to at regular update intervals.
Conclusion: Division 2 launched last, best, and with a great plan for a robust content roadmap. Fallout 76 launched in an awful state but has slowly begun a turnaround and might even be a solid Fallout game by the end of the year once its big NPC update drops. Anthem was shit, still is shit, and EA looks hell-bent on keeping it shit.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
shinobi602 any thoughts or anything to add, Mr. Administrator? I recall you being one of the more regular and vocal Anthem players here and a fairly big apologist as I remember it.

Your absence in these discussions is conspicuous.
No, not really?

What would you want me to add? You seem to be misremembering as I don't think I've talked about Anthem all that much on here except for a few posts here and there. Actually I think I gave very level headed thoughts on my time with it on my personal blog, not that you need that for anything.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
After the plans for the roadmap got disrupted, I think Anthem might be done for. Unless somehow whatever team of Bioware is on it now pulls a FFXIV and brings it from the ashes. Which I don't see happening with EA being their daddy.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Case Study:

Fallout 76 releases first.
  • Reviews terribly. Bugs everywhere. Huge performance and visual issues. Lacklustre gameplay, no real endgame, and poor player interaction.
  • Today - Big showing at Bethesda's E3, with a BR mode shadow drop and detailing a big update adding NPCs, companions for your camps, and a new main quest. Lots of new content since launch adding new events. Lots of bug fixes fixed. Performance issues almost completely solved. Player camps now incredibly useful and interactive, especially thanks to player stores.
Anthem releases second.
  • Reviews terribly. Bugs everywhere. Loading screens everywhere. Lacklustre gameplay, small world, short story, bland endgame.
  • Today - EA pretended it didn't exist at E3. Roadmap has been abandoned. All content delayed. No new content announced. Game is still atrocious, with no new content in sight, and no sign from EA that they care to fix it.
Division 2 releases last.
  • Reviews very well. Performs well. Looks great. Solid gameplay with good endgame.
  • Today - Big showcase at E3. Three new content updates announced and dated for the year ahead. Loads for the players to look forward to at regular update intervals.
Conclusion: Division 2 launched last, best, and with a great plan for a robust content roadmap. Fallout 76 launched in an awful state but has slowly begun a turnaround and might even be a solid Fallout game by the end of the year once its big NPC update drops. Anthem was shit, still is shit, and EA looks hell-bent on keeping it shit.
Why is Division 2 represented by Falcon?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I uninstalled it yesterday after loving the gameplay for awhile. Played a ton too up till s month or so ago. The cataclysm reports let me know it'll never come close to what they wanted to achieve.

For Honor is my new friend.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They just needed to revamp loot and throw in something repeatable like Nephalem Rifts until they sorted out something long term. This Cataclysm series of arenas with a point system and puzzles really isn't it.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i went in at launch, 60+ hours in the game, and enjoyed it quite a bit up to that point. just not enough at the end game. im one of the ones that keeps saying that itll be interesting to see what this game turns into 6+ months down the line, but ehhhhh...even if it doesnt, i feel i got my money's worth with the game.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Shooting is fun. There are many abilities and it is basically class-less; you can combine whatever abilities you like. The visuals are amazing and the story is not the garbage people like to color it because there are several degrees between amazing, good, average, mediocre, subpar, bad, and trash that many people forget purposefully. Tone is very different from the trilogy, though because the whole background (of the protagonist) is not military, so characters in general are a bit more lighthearted.

Yeah I might just check it out then. It goes on sale for pretty cheap.

edit: Thanks!

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Why though. Final Fantasy XIV's failure was seen as an existential threat to the company's future. Is Anthem anywhere near that important to EA? It has no history and fans have no investment in it.

I'd much rather see BioWare chalk this up to a failed experiment and get back to what they know they're good at.

EA can try again with another GAAS, it'd be easier for them to start from scratch at this point then un-poison the Anthem brand.
Fair point. There is no financial reason, nor any emotional reason to do it. But, everyone likes an "under dog story" (even though BioWare is no where close to being an under dog). I'm just down for giving a second chance. A few gaas tend to make a comeback, so who knows? Maybe they could as well. Though I'm not holding my breath. If it happens, I'll be there. If it doesn't, I won't care and I'll just continue to ignore it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the game given over to the Austin studio now? The gaas BioWare studio? The studio they should have taken advice from now? If so, then BioWare proper can move onto other projects fully.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
They've made it a little better. Not by much. Mostly stuff around how clunky it was to enter/exit Fort Tarsis.

Its only been 4 months. Which i dont think Destiny ever fixed anything in that short of time. But Anthem has no PVP. And its more shallow. So theres not much incentive to stick it out like there was with other games like this.

Anthem's problems aren't destiny's problems though

Destiny had players stick to it and hope for better things. Loot cave got shut down but was an actual point bungie looked at and thought "people just want better ways to get loot" and actually responded appropriately

People have abandoned Anthem and they dont seem to have plans to correct anything or plans to even do anything. THe cataclysm stuff is not gonna be it

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
BioWare needs to FFXIV this thing. Blow up the current world, shut down the current servers, rebuild the whole the thing from the ground up with actual direction and plans, and call it "Beyond" like they were going to originally to show they know where they are going.
Now, EA would never let them do that and are more likely to close them down because they have their sports game cash cows but hey, one can dream.

Bioware is enormous and represents like a 1/7th of the company's developers, so just shutting them down is crazy, especially for a company as poorly diversified as EA.

A Realm Reborn basically shut down square for 2 years because they threw everyone they had at it because the FF brand is the pillar of the company and they recognized the damage they did. The first step they did, was Japanese 'fire' the leads responsible for that mess. Most of the shitty leaders and managers that guided Bioware through ridiculous crunch and frostbite trouble for the past 10 years are still there. It's not that EA won't let them, but that Bioware itself needs to start to give a fuck about how it's run, but the old guard bro club there is strong.

ARR took 3 years and probably double anthems budget to get done. Square was willing to put in those resources because it's a sub mmo and has the revenue potential to earn it back. That kind of profit doesn't exist in some cosmetic store model for a lackluster supported loot shooter. The games been handed off to a small team in Austin who itself is supporting an mmo alongside this game. The main part of Bioware are washing their hands of the game and moved on to DA4 praying to God it helps recover their good name. EA sold their 4 million on hype alone, and probably feel grateful for that and want to move on just as much as Bioware does because, ultimately, the IP means shit to them.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I knew this game was utter trash from the Alpha. The thread here with some people saying "I'm getting this day one!" drove me crazy because I saw all the underlying problems from the get but didn't want to break nda. They were all fine breaking it to say how much fun they were having but I kept my comments simple while disagreeing with the defenders. I have never seen such a bad game have so many ardent supporters go to bat for it.

It needs to be accepted as a fact that EA makes bad games that are of poor value. Don't buy them at launch ever. Maybe buy them later if there is nothing else on the planet to do but NEVER buy them at full price.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I don't know anyone who is still playing it. I saw about a half dozen used copies in EB Games Canada recently for $14.99

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Name a GaaS that has turned things around?

No Man's Sky turned things around because all of the DLC is free, and it was never reliant on player communities. Players could dip in and out as they please.

Warframe has gotten a lot better than it was, but it was never unpopular. It has always had a strong community.

Siege is probably the best example. Game was broken at launch but Ubisoft kept at it and it paid off big time.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Loved the game but without any actually updates that were promised fuck it. With destiny 2 seasons not adding any strikes or story missions I was full on board with something that did just that.

2nd strike with BioWare for me, they can just fuck off now.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Who would've thought Fallout 76 would be better off than Anthem at this point
I haven't even played either game and I could've told you this. For starters, Anthem came out at a time when Destiny 2 was in an incredible place and The Division 2 was right around the corner. Anthem had to be just about perfect if it wanted to make so much as a dent in the shared-world shooter genre...and it fell very, very short.

One of the biggest differences between Fallout 76 and Anthem: the latter game's problems were far more fundamental. Despite the embarrassing comedy of errors that was Fallout 76's first few months, the foundations for a good experience were always there; it was always a very serviceable game set in a gigantic, well-crafted world with a ton of things to do, and with lots of potential for future growth. Anthem's struggles were far more pathetic: things like level 1 guns being the most powerful thanks to a busted scaling system (you really don't want hard-earned loot to feel worthless in a genre like this), and an endgame that felt largely pointless, especially at a time when it didn't - and still doesn't - seem like any substantial content is going to arrive.

Today, Anthem is barely hanging on by a thread, while its competition is firing on just about all cylinders. Its roadmap was basically torn up, while Fallout 76's ambitious roadmap is being followed to a T. Destiny 2's future is looking incredible, especially ever since Bungie broke free from Activision, and The Division 2 is definitely no slouch in this department either. Anthem, to borrow a phrase, came at the king(s) and missed.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is Andromeda more shooty than story? Because I've thought about trying it.

It is, at best, mediocre. It was an interesting mess when it was bug riddled and broken. Now that it's fixed, it's just dull.

It's crazy to see how Fallout 76 turned out good while this game is simply shrinking.

Well, let's not go nuts. They have a gigantic amount of work to do still to make that thing anywhere near "good".

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Siege is probably the best example. Game was broken at launch but Ubisoft kept at it and it paid off big time.

No way. Yes it was broken at launch, but Siege was fundamentally, a good game at launch.

They saw exponential growth over time, but they never failed to garner a community to begin with.

I was there, crashing every day. Shooting t-posed characters. Rebuilding the party after every game.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No way. Yes it was broken at launch, but Siege was fundamentally, a fantastic game at launch.

They saw exponential growth over time, but they never failed to garner a community to begin with.

Indeed. There are a lot of games that follow that path, For Honor being the other stand out one in my mind, but those survived because the people who were interested in the projects stuck around. SF5 was the same way, though handled in a much clumsier method.

The people I know who played Anthem at launch, hated it, and bounced once they got to the end game stuff. That game failed to impress in pretty much every way.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I just bought it last week for 20 bucks out of best buy. I have no point of reference for this game but I am having fun. (XBOX)

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Ded Game

I knew Anthem would flop, so it's not a surprise the fan base have moved on. Didn't ERA mostly predict this would flop? I reckon it won't be topped in 2019 but let's see...

they were many people here who were super hyped for the game and just didn´t want to hear the truth. there were quite a few people predicting this will be a trainwreck, myself included.

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like they should have never been forced to build this game in Frostbite

It was a death knell for the entire concept

From that article it sounds like Frostbite was definitely a problem but it sounds like mismanagement was a bigger issue. They didnt even have the overall concept nailed down until way late in the process.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Read the article, and it saddens me because the initial pitch casey hudson made 5(6)? years ago sounded so promising. Years of development and all these people working for this end result is depressing.

Enjoyed this line from that article.

"Anthem felt like a seed that had the potential to grow into a full-blown tree, but it was planted in concrete and watered with energy drinks. "

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
At this point the best course of action is to turn the servers off and re-release it in 2020/2021 as a brand new game.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
No way. Yes it was broken at launch, but Siege was fundamentally, a good game at launch.

I was there, crashing every day. Shooting t-posed characters. Rebuilding the party after every game.

I guess I wasn't clear on your definition of "turning it around"

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware is enormous and represents like a 1/7th of the company's developers, so just shutting them down is crazy, especially for a company as poorly diversified as EA.

A Realm Reborn basically shut down square for 2 years because they threw everyone they had at it because the FF brand is the pillar of the company and they recognized the damage they did. The first step they did, was Japanese 'fire' the leads responsible for that mess. Most of the shitty leaders and managers that guided Bioware through ridiculous crunch and frostbite trouble for the past 10 years are still there. It's not that EA won't let them, but that Bioware itself needs to start to give a fuck about how it's run, but the old guard bro club there is strong.

ARR took 3 years and probably double anthems budget to get done. Square was willing to put in those resources because it's a sub mmo and has the revenue potential to earn it back. That kind of profit doesn't exist in some cosmetic store model for a lackluster supported loot shooter. The games been handed off to a small team in Austin who itself is supporting an mmo alongside this game. The main part of Bioware are washing their hands of the game and moved on to DA4 praying to God it helps recover their good name. EA sold their 4 million on hype alone, and probably feel grateful for that and want to move on just as much as Bioware does because, ultimately, the IP means shit to them.

Fuck this is some stark shit right here

Whew... its ded jim

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of free to play games left to die, this is probably the first situation in which a very high profile launch from a well-known studio who have been long established has had their entire roadmap canceled and it essentially being left adrift.

By all accounts they fucked up a lot of the fundamentals right out of the gate so I think it's hard to bounce back from that. There was someone explaining a while back how the situation was different from Final Fantasy 14 because core components of the design were pretty flawed, so you can't just simply patch and lightly retool some things and bounce back.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
ya, but not measurably. the ways it has gotten better are like being able to change gear mid mission and other quality of life stuff

it's still not worth playing

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They cancelled the roadmap.

They are doing some content here and there when they can.

0 communication.

It's pretty much being left to die.

Player base has shrunk to pathetic levels.

Sad fate.
Which is insane when you look at the fact that it's one of the top selling games this year. If that isn't enough to get it support, then wtf is wrong with EA

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Which is insane when you look at the fact that it's one of the top selling games this year. If that isn't enough to get it support, then wtf is wrong with EA

Had ridiculous marketing behind it.

Player base shrunk immensely, Dev team has struggled adding anything significant etc...

I think EA realized this was dead.

Like at this point you're EA, do you inject money into this disaster or do you finance Mass Effect 4 ?

I understand why they'd rather move from that dumpster fire.