• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I do think it's dumb that they changed the aspect ratio of game tiles, and not all developers have apparently supplied new tile images. That's just rubbish.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Kind of a bizarre change, but since I'm still almost always using playnite for games management anyway it's mostly irrelevant to me. I don't think it's an improvement.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind. I use Steam features at such basic level that I launch the games right clicking in the icon tray.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I don't mind it.

I just sorted it all by most recent and it works great.

It is weird the game pictures are now portrait, and I'd imagine most older stuff will never see a title that fits properly.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
I vastly prefer the new version. I always liked grid view, but the images loading from the web was slow on my garbage connection, so I was forced to choose between snappy and pretty. Now I can have both.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
You mention "low performance" and "low bandwidth", not "disable community content" which is exactly tyour "lalala dont care"
It doesn't hide those things though. I've mentioned it twice elsewhere but my main beef is showing achievements with detailed descriptions.

Anyway, just give us customization options and it'll be... better. It's still pretty sluggish just scrolling through the text list. If one wants the visual flair there's already the big picture mode.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nice and all, but it isn't going to change how I use Steam as I'm still going to use the list of games down the left side as it's always been more efficient than scrolling through hundreds of box art.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I do too, Rickenslacker
Is there still a small mode?
fuckin' nooooooooooooooooo

giphy.gif

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It does suffer a bit of wanting to look too much like netflix.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
It took me a couple days to get used to it but I like it now.

That new shelf is good for games I play but don't keep super close tabs on development for when they do fun updates.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Worst of all for me, Steam still doesn't have the option to auto-minimize when launching a game, which has become a standard option in other launchers. Especially egregious on Steam as it's one where I would most likely have a game that I might launch running at a lower res which would then completely mess up the Steam window's size and position when brought back to the desktop.
I haven't updated Steam yet, but this is something I always do when I play a non steam game with the Steam Controller. I have to play them in big picture mode now (it's off and on when I have to do this depending on a update's tendencies, aggravating but what can you do), and I have a history of BPM sucking up up to 30% cpu which I think I found a fix for on reddit. I still rush to minimize BPM while the game is launching though, I don't want to take chances of a maximized BPM sucking up resources.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It was literally called and reference to as the "Library Update", so not seeing the problem.

I like the update but want more options for smart-collections and search
- search by dev
- search by pub
- sort by purchase date
- as above with smart collections
- when do we the event/calendar update
- expand the calendar update to also support individual user usage -eg organise between friends to schedule playing in said events etc

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It was literally called and reference to as the "Library Update", so not seeing the problem.

I like the update but want more options for smart-collections and search
- search by dev
- search by pub
- sort by purchase date
- as above with smart collections
- when do we the event/calendar update
- expand the calendar update to also support individual user usage -eg organise between friends to schedule playing in said events etc
WHERES MY CALENDAR VALVE, YOU PROMISED A CALENDAR.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I don't have as much beef with it but stuff like no way to straight up disable "what's new" is just crap.
Also the blurred art, no I'm not gonna sit and potentially update hundreds of games and while it seems like alot more games have proper art now compared to beta I can imagine that there's gonna be a truckload of older games that never get updated.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I also don't like that the news section is now under community or whatever now. I'm probably in the small minority, but I did like seeing the latest related news for the selected game there on the main details page.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's a mess. Way too much bloat, forces you to see all this useless information, removed the basic list layout, removed small mode, it performs worse, takes up more system resources. I recommend the video above to revert back to the old UI.
Oh no.

So that video showing how to revert, do you have to do it if you update again? Steam updates a ton. Is there a downside, security wise, to preventing the updates? I tend to want them because maybe they will allow me to use the Steam Controller for other launchers without having to use BPM again.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Laughably, there's all this complaining, and I have yet to see a more rich and malleable solution to managing a large library of ever updating products

and that's especially true for other gaming platforms

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fantastic if only for the simple feature that I can sort my games and group by tags. Over 600 games gets difficult to scroll through.

I don't have a problem with any of the other new features.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of it either, it still doesn't look anywhere near as good as the Metro skin I've been using for years and as a bonus it's also broken that so I can't use it anymore.

It's definitely an improvement over the old stock UI but that's about the nicest thing I can say about it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of it either, it still doesn't look anywhere near as good as the Metro skin I've been using for years and as a bonus it's also broken that so I can't use it anymore.

It's definitely an improvement over the old stock UI but that's about the nicest thing I can say about it.
Metro skin has been updated for new library.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I much prefer the old list version so I reverted back to the old UI. Let's see how long that lasts, I would like to be able to update the launcher again someday...

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In general I like the new library.

The problem is the update is just for the library. I expected them to overhaul the whole thing. Steam right now is just a big mess of what feels like at least four different design iterations. Client UI, Store UI, Library UI, community pages, chat, achievements all look different from each other now.

And changing from horizontal to vertical cover arts is just an awful idea when you already feature thousands of games on the store. 70% of my library looks like it was drenched in vaseline and I know it will stay that way for most of the older games.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It's bad, and I would say a lot of the problems with it are easy to fix just by looking at Epic, GOG, and Xbox UI; but they took years just to do this.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it breaks user skins and has no more support for them

RIp Steam Air

You were the fucking best steam skin period

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the blur effect on games with horizontal icons is pretty garbage. I haven't played around with it much but it feels like they're following modern graphic design trends but haven't figured out basic things that other storefronts have. But Steam has always been visually unappealing, so I'm not particularly surprised?

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I'm glad I'm not the only one that liked the old UI. I really just like the simplicity of it. Maybe I just need to give the new one a chance.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I do think it's dumb that they changed the aspect ratio of game tiles, and not all developers have apparently supplied new tile images. That's just rubbish.
This is the part that bugs the crap out of me.

However, I've always used list view and have something selected so I don't think I'll be seeing the new additions too much. From my perspective they just made game pages look prettier once selected like OP demonstrated here:
I don't quite understand the complaint here, what else would you want? It has the same functionality as before, with even more links/options now.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the OP has a point. If you only have 3 games in your library then its better to use the given space with bigger images and more details.
But in general people own more games or have more games installed than just 3, or the max number of 6 which the EGS can fit onto a screen.

Oct 27, 2017
I like a lot of the new update, but there are some things I prefer on the old one.

Like I wish the aspect ratio of the game tiles stayed the same. It looks terrible now with any game that hasn't designed a new one, and broke all my custom tile images for non-steam games.

Don't really care for the news or community stuff, but I recognize that a lot of people probably do like that.