• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
After checking upon the beta I was hoping this would be one of those Valve things that would stay in perpetual beta, but not long after releasing the beta branch the new library UI is now out for everyone.

Oh no.

I was hoping for some top to bottom overhaul, but instead we got a rejiggered version of the old "detail view" that offers me a lot of what I don't want, and removed a lot of what I did want. I used the "list" view on Steam. It was nice, it had a nice amount of space for each entry, and allowed me to see at a glance the details that I wanted -- I don't need much, but checking if a game has cloud saves (and if I've had them enabled or disabled) and how much space is taken was what I needed, and I liked that.

But now we have some weird mutant hybrid of the old detail view mixed in with a new kind of grid view and it's all kinds of wack.

EE3MW8gWkAEEkT0

Why do my games need to be listed so small? I don't need my Steam library being some classic style Start Menu with tiny Start Menu icons for the games. The prior list view had nice tiles for all my games, and they're gone now in favour of this ugly mishmash.

They introduced new vertical style art for tiles, but why would I want to navigate this way? A significant chunk of my games are given a holdover appearance where the old tile graphic is sloppily inserted into the new vertical view with a blur to take up the rest of the space.

Now, I don't much care for using solely tiles for displaying my library, but when compared to the other launchers I use like EGS and Win 10 Game Pass, they actually have the sense to clearly label each entry instead of letting the variety of box art styles being the only identifier.

uO7KVMc.png

And what does all this culminate to? Well, a snazzy new front page for each game entry when clicked. This is neat, but I have absolutely no care for anything being shown and have no real customization options therein other than the "low bandwidth" and "low performance" checkboxes in settings that tone down some visual flair and autoloading of community content.

0O4E95u.png

Worst of all for me, Steam still doesn't have the option to auto-minimize when launching a game, which has become a standard option in other launchers. Especially egregious on Steam as it's one where I would most likely have a game that I might launch running at a lower res which would then completely mess up the Steam window's size and position when brought back to the desktop.

So now I'm stuck with a library that forces a particular look, has less customization for my needs, and is overall just less useful.

And before anyone responds with that's what the feedback forum was for -- I did post there, but nothing ultimately came of it. I guess I'll just have to deal with it, but I've been feeling like venting about it because I quite liked how I previously had things, and this was a disappointing thing to see after years of teasing.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Feel the same.

I'm sure I would get used to it but for now, not a big fan. Then again, I think the PS3 XMB is the best dashboard I've ever used. So what do I know.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Same and a major problem I have is it defaults to showing every game I have installed on all computers on my network rather than just local. I don't want to stream games from my desktop when my HTPC has a 2080 ti.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I like it. It looks better on a screen that's a little farther away from you without needing to go into Big Picture Mode.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think it is a big improvement over the previous UI, the library page looks like an actual games library.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I like it, but it's not stable, suffering random crashes. Still needs a few more tweaks, more categorisation options.

Oct 27, 2017
Before posting a kneejerk reaction, you could have just stashed all the games you care about into collection and be done with it.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
All I know is that now my own games are all mixed up with games from family sharing, and there doesn't seem to be a way to split them up??

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I like it a lot. I'm very visual, so it hits that zone for me, while also being very informative in a way that the old UI didn't, like showing the size of games directly on their Thumbnail. Also, the options you get for Right-clicking a game are a lot more helpful now, like for uninstalling or actually being able to change the Category of a game, if necessary.

It's a nice hybrid of what I liked from Big Picture Mode while letting me keep the window size relatively the same as normal, as I never used BP mode due to the other inconveniences it brought.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Been using it a few weeks, and I quite like it. It's nice to see what others on my friends list are doing in a game I'm playing or have played. Much better than the previous detailed view in comparison. Dynamic collections are also quite snazzy. The events carousel is also something I wanted for a while. I just hope we can eventually choose games that I don't want to see updates about in there.

The main thing I miss is list view. Sometimes I just want a compact list, no icons — just a list of titles, cloud availability and install size.

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I like the new UI way more than the old one. Each game's landing page is way nicer imo.

The old library had so much empty grey space in it.

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are still some bits and pieces missing, but overall I'm loving the new library.

Among other things the large covers makes it much more interesting to browse your library, the dynamic collections are a huge boon if you have a big library, and the new game pages are a huge improvement over the old library.

Oct 27, 2017
I like it BUUUT it causes massive cpu spikes when scrolling. It's fine when you have nothing going on but it should not be happening at all.

OP
OP
Rickenslacker

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Before posting a kneejerk reaction, you could have just stashed all the games you care about into collection and be done with it.
This would've been kneejerk had I posted it when I first saw it in the beta, but I gave it time and now it's out in the open with little improvement, and I do have my installed games in a dynamic collection. It's still bad.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's anything amazing, but I just used the detail view before and now it actually has a "home" page for the library.

My main disappointment is we still don't seem to be able to manually sort our libraries. It bothers me more than it should that some series are way out of order, or some games within a series are thrown off into some other part of the library due to the naming convention (hi there Lightning Returns). There is clearly some sort of sort name system already being used since publishers seem to be able to adjust the order if they choose. We just don't get access to it as users.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You can remove all the community stuff in settings if you had even decided to take a look at that btw.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a mess. Way too much bloat, forces you to see all this useless information, removed the basic list layout, removed small mode, it performs worse, takes up more system resources. I recommend the video above to revert back to the old UI.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the complaint about the new one. Unless you used the detail view before, it's basically the list view + grid view in one. Except it has faster way to filter your library, looks slicker and also store covers locally which is great when you use offline mode.

Plus if you add Metro on top, it's good looking IMO.
unknown.png

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more excited for this update iif it was for BPM, but it isn't so I can't really get excited.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
All the different clashing greys and navy/teal make it just look straight up bad and amateurish. Also all the games that may not update and have a new coverart is homework I just don't need.

Steam has needed a complete rework for a long while now, but this really isn't it.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
The new library doesn't separate games from shared libraries out anymore, so it's no longer possible to tell which games you actually own or not without checking each game individually. Not exactly great when there are literally thousands of games to sort through.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It was certainly a surprise. Not terrible, but we didn't really need it.

One thing I liked is that on the main game page you can mouse over achievements and easily see what their rarity is. I don't know how to do that at any other place in the UI.

If anyone knows, feel free to drop it on me. :)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the complaint about the new one. Unless you used the detail view before, it's basically the list view + grid view in one. Except it has faster way to filter your library, looks slicker and also store covers locally which is great when you use offline mode.

Plus if you add Metro on top, it's good looking IMO.
unknown.png
oo need to download metro

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like it. The addition of support for animated cover art for games makes it easily better than the old version.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels buggy as well.

Steam has locked up and needed to be forced closed more for me in the last day then the last decade.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Under the old UI I found myself broadly ignoring the news/updates/community stuff too, so I don't put any of the blame on "The New" for how superfluous it still feels under the new regime. When you're running an app at fullscreen on a giant monitor and they actually fill all the real estate with some kind of information it's always going to look busy or crowded. There's no 'minimalist' UI that's going to please everyone either given the unlimited ways to engage with a game in your steam library (online, local, big picture, etc).

Because this is a brand new thing a lot of options you don't care about are going to be enabled by default. Spend some time engaging with it and you'll probably find you can pare down the new UI into something more to your liking, even if it's just tracing your footsteps to the comfort of something resembling the old UI.