• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Considering his current gimmick is the Spanish sex god something tells me he hasn't changed much.

Release his ass.

I don't think his current gimmick has to do with any of it since it was Jericho that pretty much gave it to him since he was still doing the stupid panda thing when he initially joined them.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
What the massive fuck. I am so incredibly disappointed. If Sammy and Hager aren't fired i am done with AEW.
I love wrestling but for the same reason i stopped supporting WWE, i can't support AEW. In fact the reason why i fell in love with AEW is that they supported minorities, were LGBT friendly and so on.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
What the massive fuck. I am so incredibly disappointed. If Sammy and Hager aren't fired i am done with AEW.
I love wrestling but for the same reason i stopped supporting WWE, i can't support AEW. In fact the reason why i fell in love with AEW is that they supported minorities, were LGBT friendly and so on.

You won't be able to escape it, the wrestling industry is pretty toxic everywhere.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As we are speaking, Tony Kahn would announce that he has decided to permaban Hulk Hogan sons

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
To hell with Sammy, get out. And if Tony Khan and AEW do nothing then they are cowards and can also fuck off.

EDIT: At this point, AEW should be heading towards a reboot.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Your mom is black, so fuck her right?"

that's the humor for KKK.... and Sammy Guevara

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

More power to Sasha for even having an open discussion with Sammy. If it was me on that side, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of hearing Sammy out...at least not now.

I don't think AEW will let Sammy go but I will say they will advise him to donate to some charity that helps out women, probably takes some sensitivity classes and of course some disciplinary action.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
How do you walk away from this in the current climate...

It's been almost 20 years since I was in college, but I had two separate male friend groups. Among one, this kind of talk was common, along with homophobia and racism. Misogyny was so prevelant so as not to be even considered "taboo" like the other two. I'd like to think I never participated (I was always mocked as "sensitive" and of course the pejorative "gay"), but that's likely not true.

I suppose this was before social media and in the AIM/ICQ days, but I think most of the guys had the self awareness to not talk like this in public. But it's going to slip out for some if that's how you authentically talk.

Abby Russell told a story on the Beastcast where some of her friends got in a golf foursome and the people they were partnered with just started using racist language. I remember growing up and people figuring each other out like "is it ok if I talk like a scumbag in front of this person. Is he cool?"

If you challenge someone on this kind of thing, you can get into one of those "you don't know what's in my heart" arguments. But it's like regardless just stop fucking spreading that shit and change your abusive language. The mental backflips that people will go through (haven't even brought up religion) just so they don't have to (1) admit they're wrong and apologize and (2) change your ways is limitless.

All that said, I've been diagnosed with social anxiety but been called highly sensitive and self aware by my therapists, yet autistic by others so I don't even know whether to trust my own insights.

Sorry I don't know why this sparked something in me.

Last edited:

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It's not folks here checked and saw it for themselves

If he liked and then unliked the tweet really quickly it's possible the like was a mistake in the first place and he accidentally tapped it while scrolling through his replies. I think if he's in apology/damage control mode he wouldn't go out intentionally liking tweets like that unless he's the world's biggest dumbass.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
If he liked and then unliked the tweet really quickly it's possible the like was a mistake in the first place and he accidentally tapped it while scrolling through his replies. I think if he's in apology/damage control mode he wouldn't go out intentionally liking tweets like that unless he's the world's biggest dumbass.

that sounds like a stretch, i imagine he genuinely agreed with that tweet.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Cross posting

GOOD that Sammy was suspended. Anyone would
Be instantly gone in any other job setting, your female co workers would lose respect for you instantly, the workplace would be a minefield. A suspension needed to happen, no more " apology accepted, now grow from this because im
A fan of yours." Fuck that , good on AEW. There is no defense for dropping " rape" so casually.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
(google's name)

Ok, now I can put a face/sport with this trash. What is wrong with people like this? Why would you ever say that....no matter your age?

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

I figured he was going to get suspended. AEW ends up looking bad because 1) they didn't do their research before signing him and 2) Sammy never even disclosed to them what hurtful comments he said that will bite back at him and the company.

I'm sure he's not gonna get fired but yeah this was the best course of action AEW could have taken with this: suspend the guy and donate his pay to a charity.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm surprised but very happy to see this. I thought he'd do the apology and then try to move on.

This gives AEW the chance to investigate and find out if there are any other incidents that need to come to light before Sammy can be allowed back on TV.

If they find a pattern of comments or other actions then he'll be gone.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I figured he was going to get suspended. AEW ends up looking bad because 1) they didn't do their research before signing him and 2) Sammy never even disclosed to them what hurtful comments he said that will bite back at him and the company.

I'm sure he's not gonna get fired but yeah this was the best course of action AEW could have taken with this: suspend the guy and donate his pay to a charity.

If nothing else comes out about Sammy and that podcast was the only thing, then I do think it is a reasonable thing to miss. If I were them though, I would immediately flag any past episodes of that asshole's podcast that anyone on the roster has been on to see what else is out there.

NoRĂ©N

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something really bothered me about Sammy when one of his friends on his vlog is on camera wearing a "Hillary for prison " shirt right around the time Alonzo was rumored to be prank calling people telling them someone died.

these aren't the type of people anyone should surround themselves with. Then this comes out and, well, birds of a feather and all that. Why would anyone say that? Why even think it?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Jesus. Those are disgusting comments. Surprised they suspended him, that's something

There's undoubtedly more out there. You don't say shit like this once

Dude was apparently 21 when he said he wanted to rape a woman and "your mom's black, so fuck her right". They should fire him.

Last edited:

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
He was one my favorite characters in AEW why would you even say something like that. Even if he's joking people will dig this shit up especially on a pod cast.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
let's please put his assholery into perspective, to remember the greater assholery in wrestling. just off the top of my head, this is an industry whose most well-known star, Hulk Hogan, was left practically unscathed by society at large after going on a racist tirade—and transformed the debate into his own successful lawsuit against Gawker.

I don't think Guevara should be excused. I also don't think the rest of the industry at large should be let off of any hook, or that Guevara should be prosecuted by wrestling fandom in a vacuum.

this shit runs deep throughout Western athletics, make no mistake.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus. Those are disgusting comments. Surprised they suspended him, that's something

Dude was 21 when he said he wanted to rape a woman and "your mom's black, so fuck her right". They should fire him.

I didn't know about that mom's black comment. WTF

T the Talking Clock

The Fallen
Jul 12, 2018
YYYooooooo

I remember this dude in the amateur wresting scene, Inspire Pro Wresting, in Austin Tx. He said the N-word on stage! This was a few years ago. Shit was fucked up.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
let's please put his assholery into perspective, to remember the greater assholery in wrestling. just off the top of my head, this is an industry whose most well-known star, Hulk Hogan, was left practically unscathed by society at large after going on a racist tirade—and transformed the debate into his own successful lawsuit against Gawker.

I don't think Guevara should be excused. I also don't think the rest of the industry at large should be let off of any hook, or that Guevara should be prosecuted by wrestling fandom in a vacuum.

this shit runs deep throughout Western athletics, make no mistake.

It's not just rape "jokes" with him, he's a racist piece of shit also

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
To be clear on the timeline of this, he liked the tweet in question hours before his apology, and unliked it shortly before posting his apology. Presumably after talking to Sasha Banks. It's extremely unlikely given that, that he hit it by accident.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
People mature a lot in their twenties, AFAIK. Your brain hasn't finished fully developing until your mid to late twenties. As I said in the wrestling thread, 21 is plenty old enough to know better, and he should absolutely be held accountable for what he said espescially given that he hadn't previously talked about and apologized for comments like this, but if you think people are as mature as they're ever going to get at the age of 21, that just isn't the case.

Dude was apparently 21 when he said he wanted to rape a woman and "your mom's black, so fuck her right". They should fire him.

If he didn't think anything of saying something like this on a podcast, there's going to be plenty of other crap out there.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

It's not just rape "jokes" with him, he's a racist piece of shit also

that's exactly why I referenced the racist tirades of Hulk Hogan. Guevara's 22-year-old self was likely saying hateful shit at events and in locker rooms...... as a lower-rung, non-veteran member of various promotions. you don't do that as a relative newbie and get away with it without a larger culture that fosters such assholery.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
To be clear on the timeline of this, he liked the tweet in question hours before his apology, and unliked it shortly before posting his apology. Presumably after talking to Sasha Banks. It's extremely unlikely given that, that he hit it by accident.
Ah, I was mistaken then, I thought he liked the tweet around the same time he posted the apology. In that case I doubt he's actually matured much.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
People mature a lot in their twenties, AFAIK. Your brain hasn't finished fully developing until your mid to late twenties. As I said in the wrestling thread, 21 is plenty old enough to know better, and he should absolutely be held accountable for what he said espescially given that he hadn't previously talked about and apologized for comments like this, but if you think people are as mature as they're ever going to get at the age of 21, that just isn't the case.

But yeah, if he didn't think anything of saying something like this on a podcast, there's going to be plenty of other crap out there.
He's a grown adult. I'm not saying people don't change or that he hasn't or won't. There should be consequences, and thankfully, there at least have been some.

Where did I ever say or suggest that people are as mature as they're ever going to get at that age? What are you reading?

Talking about brain development is irrelevant here. No excuses for racism and misogyny.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You're a grown adult. I'm not saying people don't change or that he hasn't or won't. There should be consequences, and thankfully, there at least have been some.

Where did I ever say or suggest that people are as mature as they're ever going to get at that age? What are you reading?
Nowhere.

Apologies if you felt like I was putting words in your mouth. That was more of an aside. I should probably have put that bit before the quote and just left the bit agreeing with you on there almost certainly being more stuff out there after it. I'll edit the post to hopefully clarify.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nowhere.

Apologies if you felt like I was putting words in your mouth. That was more of an aside. I should probably have put that bit before the quote and just left the bit agreeing with you on there almost certainly being more stuff out there after it. I'll edit the post to hopefully clarify.
Bringing up brain development at all is an excuse for this, whether that was your intention or not. It's a bad look.