• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After his loss to punk and inevitable program with Wardlow I'm not so sure. I could see them justifying it if he wins over Wardlow. But I'm not so certain...

I don't see Hangman dropping anytime soon, plenty of time to build MJF back up as a credible opponent. He does need a big win at some point, though. Back to back PPV losses from Jericho and Punk does not help my case lol.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how they're going to pull off a cinematic match these days (maybe use a fully taped Rampage), but once it's filled up I want to see Regal's stable in a Stadium Stampede match.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how they're going to pull off a cinematic match these days (maybe use a fully taped Rampage), but once it's filled up I want to see Regal's stable in a Stadium Stampede match.
Honestly, if they were to do something like Stadium Stampede again I'd say do it as a pretaped TNT special rather than bolting it onto a PPV. I wouldn't put it on Dynamite or a PPV and doing a separate 1 hour special probably makes more sense than dedicating a Rampage to it. Stadium Stampede is fun but in 2022, I could not imagine paying to go to a show like DON and watching 30-45 minutes of pretaped wrestling and bits on a screen in the arena. That sounds awful.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think Tony would have a hard time not putting the title on Punk. Similar to Jericho, it just adds a lot of prestige to the belt when you have Punk on the list of past champions. I don't know if you want to have him beat Hangman, but him having the title and MJF taking the title from him makes a lot of sense as well.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I think Tony would have a hard time not putting the title on Punk. Similar to Jericho, it just adds a lot of prestige to the belt when you have Punk on the list of past champions. I don't know if you want to have him beat Hangman, but him having the title and MJF taking the title from him makes a lot of sense as well.
It just adds to the Hangman story. He's been pushing his friends away so him losing the title to Punk just kicks his story into another gear. MJF takes the title off of Punk at All Out. You could even have MJF's first PPV title defense be against Hangman at Full Gear as there's a bit of history there.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It just adds to the Hangman story. He's been pushing his friends away so him losing the title to Punk just kicks his story into another gear. MJF takes the title off of Punk at All Out. You could even have MJF's first PPV title defense be against Hangman at Full Gear as there's a bit of history there.
Also one last Summer of Punk.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm ready for heel CM Punk to win the title from Hangman at Double or Nothing, have a summer of Punk title reign, and lose it to Eddie at Full Gear or next year's Revolution. Hell, even at All Out.

That said, I'm also ready for Hangman to have more banger title matches.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Trios tournament finals:

REGAL-GUN (Mox, Bryan, Garcia) vs THE ELITE (Matt, Nick, Kenny)

First ever 7.5* match

Oct 27, 2017
I don't post about AEW too much on here because I end up complaining about the things that annoy me more than praising the parts I like. But this show was pretty fantastic. Even the people I normally don't like put on matches that I liked.

Jericho has been in the opening match of some of the best PPVs ever and this adds another one. What a great match that was after the terrifying head bump to start. Eddie is just great.

The crowd deserve a lot of credit. They were electric for most of the show. For 5 hours when you count the buy-in, that's super impressive. I think they really added a lot to the show. And not in the usual wrestling crowds trying to get themselves over crap way. Just high energy and loud. Okay, maybe they went a little far with the Adam chants, but I'm okay with that.

I do worry about the injury list from this show. There were a lot of people taking big hits.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Actually stayed up for the show last night but found myself lagging at points and definitely fell asleep once since it was like 4am in UK, so I rewatched the stuff I missed and stuff I thought didn't work for me just to see if I really didn't like it or if it was watching live and half asleep that was the problem.

THE BUY IN

LEYLA VS. STATLANDER - Had a couple of scary moments but I really enjoyed this one and thought it was the best womens match of the night. Leyla popping Kris into the air and catching her into an Olympic slam was cool AF.

HOOK VS. QT - A first real match for HOOK who was definitely OOOOOVER. QT played the wiley heel veteran perfectly, cutting HOOK off whenever he was gaining too much momentum but HOOK outsmarts and taps QT in the end. Exactly what it should've been.

HOUSE OF BLACK VS. DEATH TRIANGLE & REDBEARD - First off, awesome new entrance for the HOB. Secondly Redbeard I never really cared for in the E, I was really impressed with him here. Aside from a great shoulder charge showdown between Redbeard and Brody, this was just a fast paced non-stop 6 man. Perfect match to lead into the PPV.

MAIN CARD

JERICHO VS. KINGSTON - Never in my life expected Jericho to kick off a PPV but as soon as Eddie suplexed Jericho on his head in the opening seconds, man I knew was it the right choice. One of Jericho's best AEW matches and same for Eddie, who rightfully finally won the Big One.

TAG TITLE 3 WAY - First match I had to rewatch as I was flagging towards the end, much like the Buy In 6 man, it was just TNA. Don't know why Bobby Fish had a mic on but otherwise this was just a blast.

JADE VS. TAY - My second favourite womens match of the night. What an entrance for Jade. I would've liked to have seen more offence from Jade, I get making her look strong by absorbing tons of punishment but it felt like Tay was put away after like three moves. Also nice to see Jade showing more personality in the ring.

FACE OF THE REVOLUTION LADDER MATCH - I enjoyed it but coming only a few weeks after one of the best ladder matches I've ever seen from Cody & Sammy, this had an uphill battle from the off with me even if that was unfair with them going for different things. This was probably my disappointment of the night. I kept waiting for Keith Lee, Wardlow and Hobbs to do some awesome big man stuff with the ladders and they never really did anything. Orange got a few cool spots and Ricky diving through the ladder to spear Christian was awesome. At least Wardlow winning will make for interesting TV in the next few weeks.

PUNK VS. MJF - First of all I didn't like Punk's "new" entrance, I know it was a callback but I've just never been into that style of music, cool for those who remembered it I guess. The match itself was fantastic, I just loved how patient they were and how deliberate the pacing of the match was. If I have a minor gripe with it then it was with the ending and the exact way Wardlow turned on MJF. I would rather have seen MJF's shocked reaction in the moment to realising Wardlow screwed him over.

BRITT VS. ROSA - I still liked this but it was too long and there were too many outside interference spots. I get that that was the point but at the same time where is Mercedes to counter act the DMD crony BS. Oh she's conveniently missing. It's just one of those things that make it's obvious they give less thought to the women. Britt desperately has to lose the title for me now.

MOX VS. DANIELSON - Good loooooord. Just two guys beating the piss out of each other. That's it. I was kinda down on this program going into this match because of how the faction story has been handled. Oh they're having a match before they join up but what has to happen in the match for them to join up? Does one guy losing call the whole thing off? So who do I root for here? The match itself was fun as all hell and maybe the best thing on the entire show, we knew this would rule but what was most important to me and I'm sure many others was how do we get to the faction/team up and will the match help us get to it or will it kill off the idea. Mox squeaks out a win, Danielson can't handle it and attacks Mox and it seems the dream is dead but fortunately Sir William Regal appears to slap some sense into the pair and the dream is alive again. BTW I had no idea how big Regal was, he looked huge next to Mox.

AHFO VS. SAMMY, DARBY & STING

A fun, more stunt based 6 man, not a lot to say about it tbh.

HANGMAN VS. COLE

This was the other match I was half asleep for last night, I was seriously lagging and just couldn't get into it last night. Second time around I enjoyed it more howeverā€¦..I found the last 10 minutes extremely repetitive, there were way too many super kick and no selling super kick spots. I know they don't talk about this stuff in the back but there were like five piledriver spots in this match and that was after there had already been 3-4 throughout the rest of the night. I was beyond over superkicks and piledrivers. I expected more creativity from these two. Enjoyable for the most part but yeah it just devolved into the NXT style main event I grew tired of years ago. I hope that's it for Adam Cole in the world title picture for a now.

SW3RVE - I almost forgot him, great to see him coming into AEW, haven't seen that much of him since his Killshot days so it's like having a totally new guy coming in for me.

Very good show.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I loved almost everything in this show. First AEW PPV I've personally purchased and I felt like it was definitely worth the money, although the stream did stutter A LOT at various points. Luckily, it wasn't during key parts of the action. The stream also started with Spanish commentary before Sling got it changed over to the English stream.

The high points were definitely early for me... The closing minutes of Jurassic Express's win as well as the Kingston win were fantastic. The brutality of the dog collar match was something to behold and Wardlow was a nice touch. Sting's table dive - I don't really need to say much here.

Mildly disappointed in the ladder match, mainly because I'm sorry to hear about OC getting injured and that powerbomb on Ricky looked real bad. The finish was fine. Best parts were OC being creative.

Majorly disappointed in Britt/Rosa. The match just never found it's footing until the last few minutes and then the booking still ruined it by having Rebel/Jamie interfere leading to Britt retaining. I realize it could be in the interest of Rosa getting the belt at their next match but that doesn't change the fact that this was borderline the worst match of the night (to me) and it absolutely shouldn't have been.

Last edited:

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
zM7LNPX.jpg

AEW Women's Championship in 2024.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Just for fun, what matchups would folk like to see in three months at Double or Nothing?

Hangman v Punk (AEW championship)
Darby v Jeff Hardy
PAC v Malakai
ReDragon/Cole v Bucks/Omega
Rosa v Deeb (Women's Championship)
Jade v Ruby (TBS Title)
Wardlow v MJF (TNT title)
Danielson v Okada
Miro v Kip
Asuka/Kairi Sane v Shida
PnP v Jungle Express

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Every PPV comes and I have the same positives and negatives.

Positives: Very few matches few unworthy of being on the PPV. Most are excellent matches with always one or two dimes that go down as greats. The young AEW talent get to look like stars, while most stories are fleshed out. Overall, AEW doesn't do bad or mediocre PPVs. They either do solid or great ones and this one falls more on the lines of great. The quarterly PPV makes it feel like a big fight night instead of scratching the bottom of the barrel for matches like WWE for anything, but their big 4.

Negatives: Not every match needs to be 15 to 20 minutes long. You can always tell which matches are going to be giving a few minutes, while the majority are going to be 15 to 25 minutes. They rotate a lot of the same players and former WWE talent gets the boost over homegrown talent.

awake4ages

Neoā€¢Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Trios titles have to be coming soon right? C'mon TK

He mentioned recently in an interview (I think the one before Revolution) that it's something he is interested in and very aware of demand for but is wanting Kenny back as an active performer again before getting the ball rolling (assuming he wants to use Kenny/The Bucks to elevate the titles, possibly the first champs?)

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
He mentioned recently in an interview (I think the one before Revolution) that it's something he is interested in and very aware of demand for but is wanting Kenny back as an active performer again before getting the ball rolling (assuming he wants to use Kenny/The Bucks to elevate the titles, possibly the first champs?)

Makes sense. The Elite are probably the top 3 all time trios and essentially were the catalist of their rise worldwide

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
The correct answer for an Trios title, is Death Triangle. The Elite don't need to elevate it when there's so many good teams

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
- Hirsch vs Statlander was good. - *** 1/2
- Don Callis lol. Can't wait for Kenny & the Bucks to turn on him.
- QT vs Hook was solid. - ***
- Death Triangle vs House of Black was great. - **** 1/4

- Jericho vs Kingston was better than I expected. - **** 1/4
- Young Bucks vs reDRagon vs Jurassic Express (c) was great. reDRagon title reign will have to wait. **** 1/2
- Face Of The Revolution Ladder Match was great. I would have been happy with any winner - **** 1/4
- Swerve! Not a well-kept secret but Tony waving the spoiler clipboard around was funny.
- Conti vs Cargill (c) was good. Jadel getting the big money entrance. Lots of kissing. Faster paced than Jade's usual title matches. - *** 3/4
- MJF vs Punk Dog Collar Match was a MOTY Contender. Top notch storytelling. Miseria Cantare! Punk went old school. Hell yeah Wardlow! - *****
- Rosa vs DMD was good but I expected better. Gorgeous new belt. Hopefully Rosa is crowned in Texas in a cage match. *** 3/4
- Danielson vs Moxley was great. Regal! Excited about this storyline. - **** 1/2
- Darby, Sammy & Sting vs AHFO was good. Darby's video was sick. - *** 3/4
- Adam Page (c) vs Adam Cole was great. - **** 1/2

My wifi dropped out 5 minutes into watching the Buy-In, then the power went out for hours and I was sick :( Thankfully it was worth the wait. Strong PPV from start to finish.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
That was such an amazing show from buy-in to final bell. Punk's entrance and match being the highlight, just incredible.

The only complete down mark for me was the Britt-Rosa match. Hopefully I get to see Thunder win the title down here in SA to make up for it though.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Negatives: Not every match needs to be 15 to 20 minutes long. You can always tell which matches are going to be giving a few minutes, while the majority are going to be 15 to 25 minutes. They rotate a lot of the same players and former WWE talent gets the boost over homegrown talent.

There was quite literally one match on the PPV (including preshow) that had a former WWE-talent (Punk) going over homegrown talent.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I gotta agree that the MJF/Punk feud is the moment where I truly feel CM Punk again. While his previous matches were good, they didn't do that much for me. This feud and matches were absolutely fire and can say that Punk is truly back in the game again.