• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Kenny started talking to Syn Sophia (AKI) quite a while back.

I suppose the plan was either for Syn to do it themselves, or if all the wrassledevs have moved on to just license the engine. Given Cody's comments in September during his interview with Meltzer that "It's the game everybody wants", I'm guessing they came to some kind of deal with Syn Sophia after all.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think they have the star power right now.
especially when the few stars they had they run into the ground trying to rise everyone else.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Yes, as SynSophia. And Kenny asked them to DM him on twitter and they started following him. It's nothing but still an interesting tidbit.

Please-let-it-happen.jpg

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's been confirmed about 6 times now that they are and the implications is that they are working with SynSophia.

Kenny spoke about this as far back as April 2019

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'm just excited to finally have some potential competition in the wrestling video game landscape for the first time in literally years

It's been long overdue

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I've got the full AEW roster (quite authentic too) with logos, a custom ring, themes and all in Fire Pro on PS4. Nice getting to use them with the New Japan, NXT, WWE and other custom rosters.

Would still love official AEW Fire Pro DLC soon to tide us over till they can make their own game with Syn Sophia / AKI.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'd be down for sure. Orange Cassidy's moveset would be a trip, and I really want an accurately-animated swaggering dickbag Pentagon.

Do the ladies, too. I want Emi Sakura's entrance in, at least.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I think good wrestling games attract new fans. I wasn't a wrestling fan until I played WCW vs NWO Would Tour back in the day. A well done AEW wrestling game would be awesome. What would make things even better is if they could add NJPW if they decide to do a partnership with AEW in the near future.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'll even take a mobile game in the vein of Supercard to hold me over. Now is the time to put out an amazing wrestling game with WWE 2K20 being a mess.

Oct 25, 2017
Get everyone who worked at SynSophia from WCW vs. nWo World Tour all the way up to Def Jam: Fight For New York, have them make a new studio if necessary. Money is no object, I say as someone who is not funding this game at all, but who will absolutely pre-order.

(What if it were Yuke's, but it was the side engine that Yuke's was working on while cranking out WWE games that became the basis for this theoretical AEW game?)

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think they have the star power right now.
especially when the few stars they had they run into the ground trying to rise everyone else.

Stick Moxley and Jericho on the cover and it's all the star power you need. The return of the AKI engine would sell itself.

Plus, there's plenty of old timers on the AEW payroll to pad out the in-game roster--Billy Gunn, Dean Malenko, Arn Anderson, etc.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You wouldn't even need to have JR record specific voice lines for every wrestler - just have him "forget" all their names!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really find the prospect of playing No Mercy in 2020 with the AEW roster that interesting. If they want Syn Sophia on it, they should totally release something more modern.

The other thing will be Yuke's I'm sure that without all the fuckery of annual releases + THQ/2K they could release a competent game, I was watching some videos of Wrestle Kingdom (The VideoGame) and I was shocked on how much better looked than the 2k games, even considering that they are PS2 ames

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stick Moxley and Jericho on the cover and it's all the star power you need. The return of the AKI engine would sell itself.

Plus, there's plenty of old timers on the AEW payroll to pad out the in-game roster--Billy Gunn, Dean Malenko, Arn Anderson, etc.
considering that last time someone did a crowd funding to make a wrestling game with the aki engine it failed miserably, i'd say no, the return of the aki engine would not sell itself at all.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone currently at Syn Sophia even work on the WWE/Def Jam games during the Aki days, though? The last one was Fight For NY like 16 years ago and since then their biggest franchise has been Style Savvy. Which I've heard is actually very good for what it is, but very very different from wrestling obviously.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Dude I didn't even think of that. Didn't some of the older WCW games do that as well? Had a bunch of secret characters that were just the backstage people who used to be Wrestlers.

DDP is all elite as well. I really hope a working relationship between AEW and NJPW happens. Could open the door to them appearing in an AEW game.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Does anyone currently at Syn Sophia even work on the WWE/Def Jam games during the Aki days, though? The last one was Fight For NY like 16 years ago and since then their biggest franchise has been Style Savvy. Which I've heard is actually very good for what it is, but very very different from wrestling obviously.

Going by Mobygames, there were definitely a few still there five years ago. However, some of those seem to have moved on since then. The credits are incomplete though so I'm not sure. The boss of the company is still the same guy.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, I don't think that has ever happened. Certainly not with the actual engine that SynSophia owns.
don't remember if the engine was the same or not, but the crowd funding request to make a wrestling game with that style, with the fact on the forefront of the kickstarter definitely happened.

and it failed miserably

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
don't remember if the engine was the same or not, but the crowd funding request to make a wrestling game with that style, with the fact on the forefront of the kickstarter definitely happened.

and it failed miserably

The actual developers of the N64 wrestling games never did a kickstarter—ever. At best, you're thinking of Pro Wrestling X which was some random guy with no game dev background, and even that raised a bunch of money.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019

Woah!

Also on designing Orange Cassidy I got an idea

Make him get better as the match goes on by other doing certain moves/taunts or getting hit

Like his moves be fixed cinematic as in his effortless super kicks, rolling out of the way to avoid attacks and such

Taunts be putting his hands in his pockets, flimsy thumbs up, just sitting down ect,

The more you do successfully do these or get hit, as says he becomes stronger like he does in real matches

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love AEW, but I wouldn't make an AEW game until the Dynamite ratings regularly do a million.