• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That was so much fun. All of them were really solid matches. Veny's a fuckin' ring pro already and Itoh's got superstar power.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed that, especially the Veny/Emi Sakura match. Not bothered about the results, I'm pretty sure there will be further opportunities down the road for the losers as they looked good in what they did.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Tony K is usually 10 steps ahead on stuff like this, so he likely already knew the type of reception that Maki would get.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
With the way shida and aja looked at each other I honestly wouldn't be surprised if aja ends up winning it.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I don't mind the booking. That was a good showcase of matches being enjoyable even if the outcome is predictable.

And even from what little I gathered about Maki Itoh in the last couple of weeks, I'm still firmly convinced she has the kind of character that does better starting out with early losses instead of being introduced as an immediate winner.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I do have one criticism. WHERE'S VEDA!?

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked ppl are going on about the predictability.

I thought this whole tourney was going to end up pretty predictable with Britt vs Yuka as the finals. But I guess that never bothered me as long as the wrestling was good and it has been so far.

Plus, it seems pretty clear that they know how Maki etc would be received. I expect to see her sooner rather than later tbh.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Great night of wrestling. But damn that booking is a bummer. Though I think some of you are thinking the disappointment is more serious than it really is. It's just wrestling.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
With the way shida and aja looked at each other I honestly wouldn't be surprised if aja ends up winning it.

I'm actually fine with an Aja v Shida title match at some point. Fine to have it at Revolution for my money.

But, I dunno, don't desperately want her running through everyone in a tournament like this i guess. I don't know how else you'd get to that match though otherwise.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I really enjoyed that. Match of the night for me was Veny vs. Emi. Just hard-hitting and extremely competitive. There was something different in every single match, which was nice. Good showcase, but I understand the frustration from a fan booking perspective.

People also like new, fresh things, and we're getting relatively old things in round two. Yuka vs. Emi and Ryo vs. Aja in the semis of the Japanese bracket? Neither match is as exciting as what we could have gotten with even Yuka vs. Veny or Maki vs. Aja, but I'm sure there are forces beyond what fans are tapped into that helped make these booking decisions too.

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT
When was this taped? Is it possible they had no idea how over Maki Itoh would get with their audience between her social media presence and us looking for her matches from the time of the bracket announcements and today?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Same. I still think the play is Britt vs. Yuka, but Aja in the final would also be a surprise and a bit of a special attraction if she ends up at Revolution.

They purposely pointed the camera to show Shida during Aja's entrance, though. They usually don't do that kind of stuff for nothing.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i have zero doubt that after tonight AEW won't bring back both VENY and Itoh in some capacity. at least, so long as they don't get picked up by someone else.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Kadokura made the least lasting impression on me, but she was moreso there to help Aja showcase her brute strength.

Oct 27, 2017
It seems Maki is very ride or die about getting into AEE so hopefully that means she's either already signed it about to be.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the extremely low budget presentation (I can see why they put this on Youtube) that was really good! The first two matches were the highlights and Veny vs Sakura was the best match of the night for me. That match was nail-biting and intense! Itoh was pretty funny, but I see the appeal of having Ryo vs Aja. As has been implied by tweets, pretty sure Itoh is gonna show up again when the pandemic is more cleared up. Maybe even sooner? Wonder if next week's show will have some of the US side as well. If this is supposed to be all cleared up before Revolution they are gonna have to show those matches somewhere besides just Dynamite.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if AEW are thinking of having their third weekly hour at this time? An hour before Raw starts each Monday?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
i could watch an hour of that every week

Same. Every match was different.

Mei vs. Yuka - floaty and slightly softer match with some fun moments
Veny vs. Emi - a war. They killed it. My MotN
Ryo vs. Maki - classic underdog story for Maki, some hilarious moments, and a Daniel Bryan-type connection to the fans for Maki
Aja vs. Rin - monster heel overcoming a stubborn and resilient opponent

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Thinking about Veny wearing Hana's Oedo Tai kimono again. Wondering why there are so many onions in this house.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Gonna rewatch the tournament tonight. So much fun.

And will probably get a ddtpro subscription or something too.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Maki Itoh is the dril of pro wrestling.
she's definitely fit right in. hilarious that she'd connect with that, though, lol. she clearly is very interested in working more with AEW.
I just imagine Dark Order coming out and yelling "YOU ARE" when she asks who the cutest is. I may have said this recently, but I need Evil Uno to manage her.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
All the praise for Itoh tonight is amazing. This is why I wanted AEW to be a success. A wrestling promotion by wrestlers for wrestlers. They understand how to expose and share these talents from all promotions. Despite the terrible 2020 I'm glad AEW made it and can continue to open more doors and show more people how great and fun wrestling can still be.

Status
Not open for further replies.