• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
To say a lot has happened over the past few months would be an overstatement of a lifetime. But I will do my best to do a much of the major story-lines as possible.

First and foremost, the death of Brodie Lee brought shockwaves to everyone in the wrestling world. From his indie years in New York to becoming a part of the Wyatt Family as Luke Harper, his immense size belied nimble moves and intensity of his attacks. Sadly, he never got that rematch right at the height of his career. Yet it was this final act that got the Dark Order over, turning the stable from a geeky heel faction to one of the most lovable campy dorks in the wrestling world. John Silver alone is one of the most beloved wrestlers in the business and we can only hope for brighter things for the group. RIP Johnathan Huber, and we all thank you for your contribution to the sport.

brodie.0.jpeg

Speaking of whom, the Dark Order has set their sights on a new leader, and they believe they have found one in 'Hangman' Adam Page. Pinned by FTR on their title match, he has been abandoned by his mentor Kenny Omega marking the end of the Elite (but more on that later). After helping them secure a few victories, he declined the offer. He would instead side with ally Matt Hardy, now of Big Money fame. With big plans set for him as well as Private Party that span far beyond AEW (again more on that later), Matt has secured a contract with the sad cowboy. It remains to be seen what he has in store.

4a9f3c2d6763e83d25b1be5bbc4042de0ccb1902.gifv

After winning the tag team titles, FTR proceeded to lay waste to the tag team division. With no respect to the modern tradition of flips and super kicks as well as with some help from Tully Blanchard, Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood used good old fashioned fisticuffs and some underhanded tactics to dispatch the likes of TH2, The Lucha Bros and SCU before finally agreeing with a match with archrivals The Young Bucks on the condition that the later would be banned from ever winning the titles with a loss and with Matt Jackson suffering from a leg injury. What followed was a wonderful homage of the greatest tag teams in wrestling. In the coveted Fists vs Flips fight, The Young Bucks finally lived up to their potential and won the titles. For now, the two are wondering how to play out their reign, putting the ascending Top Flight team under their wings for now.

Young-Bucks-vs.-FTR-Ful-Gear.gif

Meanwhile, The Inner Circle were trucking along well with no issues despite Chris Jericho losing the title last year.That all changed with a proposal from the narcissistic Maxwell Jacob Friedman. Reeling from a loss from Jon Moxley, he set sights on joining the faction. After a series of passive aggressive gestures, Le Champion agreed to give him a chance provided he could pin him. MJF did just that at Full Gear and the two have been chummy ever since. Not so much with everyone else. Jake Hager felt threatened with the presence of Wardlow, heightened by a later loss to him. The Proud and Powerful duo of Santana and Ortiz sense a lack of respect to their Puerto Rican heritage, a rift that heightened when they lost out a chance to face the Young Bucks to MJF and Jericho. And of course there's Sammy Guevara. The Spanish God watched as his best friend moved closer towards the newcomer, culminating to last week where he announced he was quitting the Inner Circle. It didn't matter that he could prove that MJF tried to record him. He had enough of his shenanigans and hopes to forge his own path. For now Jericho has his eyes set on the tag titles... unless the Proud and Powerful get the belts first.

f84a08d35ceb5953606b43ef2c2379e426dc5f94.gifv

Darby Allen may have been a thorn to the Inner Circle, but turned his attention to the TNT title, worn by an increasingly arrogant Cody Rhodes (now that he has won the right to say his name in full). After missing out in previous bouts, he finally caught the veteran napping, snagging the best for himself. Cody has since been supportive of the youngster, especially since Taz has set his sights on the title along with Brian Cage and Ricky Starks. Will Hobs was a newcomer and was thought to be an ally, but turned out to be a turncoat. Just when all hopes was lost, this happened:

That's right, after nearly 20 years, a substantial time in Impact and a lackluster number of appearances in the WWE, Sting has returned to TNT. As with his opposition to nWo years ago, he has arrived to put a stop to Team Taz's bullying and shape up Darby to unleash his full potential. So far... he hasn't done much. But he is slated to fight next month. Oh and Cody Rhodes has moved on to mentor Lee Johnson and feud with Shaq.

Shida has had a more quiet run of sorts in the women's division. With Japan's well of quality joshi wrestlers locked out of competition (including former champion Riho) and Kris Statlander still injured, here hasn't been much to go by here. Nyla Rose has Vick Guerrero as a manager, Abadon continues to bring about nightmares and Anna Jay got a rematch, but not much else has happened.

1eb529b4bd159a0136ddba8637fb3e8c6364bfc4.gifv

The bigger stories have been outside the title picture. Tay Conti and Red Velvet continue to show promise, while NWA's talent continues to shine, including an excellent title match between Thunder Rosa and Serena Deeb. A distraction finish from Dr. Britt Baker cost Rosa her title and the later has been gunning for her ever since. Speaking of Baker, what a turnaround from her. Not only has she been the absolute best heel in the business, her technical skills has also improved. After getting the better of Rosa at Beach Bash, she now has her sights on the Women's title (yet again, more on that just a bit later).

763c69d50ae7459293eae90cbd92cedecdff3412.gifv

Which brings us to the main event. After outsmarting the Inner Circle, Jon Moxley had a banger of a title run. He has no shortage of tough competition, but his overall toughness and deceptive trickiness saw him through. He outlasted Brodie Lee, outgrappled Brian Cage, outheeled MJF, outmaneuvered Lance Archer and outsavaged longtime friend Eddie Kingston to retain the title. All that was left was for him to take on what people thought would be the face of AEW. Kenny Omega hasn't had as much luck in singles competition, but his tag team loss caused him to reinvent himself. Forcing Justin Roberts to perform increasingly tedious introductions, he swept the competition to earn a title shot. But Moxley wasn't impressed. No, he stated if Kenny ever wanted the belt, he wanted the return of Mr. Cleaner. He wanted the 2018 Pro Wrestler of the Year, 6 star generating Kenny Omega. And at Winter is Coming, it seemed like we were getting that. Yet it didn't seem it was enough. So Kenny turned to dirty tactics. Don Callis got the illegal hit on Moxley to give Kenny the victory. Afterwich, the two ran off like thieves in the night while the AEW world wondered what got into him. Turns out Callis had plans of his own, bringing the title to TNA Impact Wrestling.

0cc781b400e2a739ad90d76e365215952e05453d.gif

The door has been opened. Just not the one we had thought.

Ever since that, Kenny gleefully planned for the return of the Bullet Club, recruiting TNA Tag Champions The Good Brothers to assist him in keeping the titles and keeping Moxley at bay. All while the Young Bucks ponder what to do with it all. They seemed uninterested in re litigating old factions. Nearly two weeks ago, Jon Moxley finally got a chance to get his hands on Omega with PAC and Rey Fenix against the Good Brothers. While they lost the match, Moxley seemed poised to get his revenge. Then this happened:

Yes, that is KENTA, the current challenger to Moxley's IWGP United States Championship. The forbidden door has finally been opened.

Yet that's not all. Not only is New Japan open to bringing in their wrestlers to compete in AEW and Impact!, the joshi scene is finally poised to show what they are capable of in a Japan vs USA bracket with the winner to face Shida for her title. Including one popular wrestler:

That tournament will start tomorrow on Youtube.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-10-at-6.07.32-PM.jpg

With the pandemic finally showing signs of simmering down (fingers crossed on Florida), it seems only a matter of time before Tony Khan's dream of cross-promotion showdowns is finally realized.

We also have a whole slew of feuds going on from Eddie Kingston and PAC's feud over the custody of the Lucha Brothers with a sprinkling of Lance Archer and Private Party's quest for Impact domination in the tag division to Orange Cassidy's quest to free Chuck Taylor from the clutches of Miro (congrats to Kip Sapian and Penelope Ford on their wedding BTW) and Jurassic Express' feud with FTR. Not to mention a whole basket case of talent just waiting to become stars in the future. Oh and Ryan Nemeth's trying to be a thing. Good luck with that.

Where to watch AEW Dynamite
It will be shown on Wednesdays at 8/7c on TNT in America, TSN2 in Canada, approximately at 11:30 PM GMT and at FITE TV live anywhere else. AEW Dark shows at 7/6c on Tuesdays on the AEW Dynamite Youtube page.

Last edited:

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Shoot Queen approves

fL6cgsf.gif

dk0G3VR.gif

The Forbidden Door.......EXPLODES

wxMXbEq.png

BNxIFlr.gif

Aubrey dances in approval at this new thread

CQsPWfS.gif

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
LET'S FUCKING GO! REVOLUTION IS NIGH!

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
That new thread smell.

Time to post my favorite AEW theme

Also can't wait to see Mei Suruga tear it up. She's so fun in the ring

tumblr_ptrhwqLVQy1uqgszq_400.gifv

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
You know, with Shida in Japan already, looking at the brackets:

Maybe Baker and Rosa get to the finals and go to a double DQ or countout (thus continuing their feud), which would lead to Shida versus whoever wins the Japanese side finals, and they could film that in Japan as she's already there, saving talent (sans Shida) from travel and the related rigamarole due to COVID, and lets them handle prior bookings.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
New thread, new av.

Who do we Twitter bomb for Suzuki vs Eddie Kingston?

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Get that flattened forbidden door out of the way already ghadammit!

Here for Suzuki gun and mox 10 star match, maki itoh fucking everyone up and the golden lovers aew tag team run.

ITS GONNA HAPPEN

Also, Okada signing a 5 year (developmental) deal with wwe, lolll

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I hope they wait until the end of the year to open that forbidden door when there's a crowd.

Imagine the pop when Kenta appeared.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You know, with Shida in Japan already, looking at the brackets:

Maybe Baker and Rosa get to the finals and go to a double DQ or countout (thus continuing their feud), which would lead to Shida versus whoever wins the Japanese side finals, and they could film that in Japan as she's already there, saving talent (sans Shida) from travel and the related rigamarole due to COVID, and lets them handle prior bookings.
they recorded all the Japanese matches in late January, by all accounts, so even with shida still in japan they have plenty of time to fly back and quarantine if they need to. but yeah, with the trouble they're going to it's probably safe to assume that the Japanese bracket winner will win the final in the go-home show if they're traveling all the way over here.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Love the new thread! New thread new fantasy booking.
  • The Inner Circle brings back Jeff Cobb to take out Sammy.
  • Good news for Taz: the FTW title becomes legit. Bad news for Taz: Cage has to face Minoru Suzuki for the title.
  • MJF uses the Good Brothers to help Proud and Powerful win the titles. Revolution has IC vs IC and BC vs BC.
they recorded all the Japanese matches in late January, by all accounts, so even with shida still in japan they have plenty of time to fly back and quarantine if they need to. but yeah, with the trouble they're going to it's probably safe to assume that the Japanese bracket winner will win the final in the go-home show if they're traveling all the way over here.
I would not be shocked if both the winner and Shida are already in Florida, or on their way this week.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
So the idea was for Sammy to quit the Circle and then someone came up with the bright idea to have him immediately join a new group in a different company with people he doesn't know, and therefore shouldn't trust, even less so after what has happened with MJF.

Impact just wanted Sammy I can't blame them here, if Jericho suggested this and Khan said "good idea do it" then I'd be disappointed in them both especially when they've both acknowledged recently that one problem with AEW has been running the same storyline multiple times per show and that storyline was based around guys joining factions!

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the idea was for Sammy to quit the Circle and then someone came up with the bright idea to have him immediately join a new group in a different company with people he doesn't know, and therefore shouldn't trust, even less so after what has happened with MJF.

Impact just wanted Sammy I can't blame them here, if Jericho suggested this and Khan said "good idea do it" then I'd be disappointed in them both especially when they've both acknowledged recently that one problem with AEW has been running the same storyline multiple times per show and that storyline was based around guys joining factions!
I think folk may be confused. We don't know what Sammy's story would have been in Impact. The leak only says that Taurus has taken over at least part of what Sammy was supposed to do. That stuff with Taurus hasn't been shown yet. The recent filming is for stuff after No Surrender. No Surrender was part of the previous recording session. So Taurus was always going to be a part of the Decay, not Sammy.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Do we really need swear word in the thread title? You know the thread title is in the URL and that some of us browse at work, right?

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I really hope Eddie Kingston wins something substantial this year. The issue being there's just so much talent on this roster. Despite all the talent...I think Eddie's character and storytelling abilities outweigh everyone else's.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
We won't have a 3td Japanese women's champion. Promos are super important and the next hurdle the women's division must tackle. The talent is already here, that's not the problem anymore. I will consider this tournament with the huge Japanese presence a success if the result is one woman from that bracket to commit and move to the States.

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017
The only women on the American side who aren't Riho I would want as champion are Serena Deeb and Thunder Rosa - and neither are AEW talent. I'm not big on Britt, Nyla would be okay but it's been done, Tay and Anna need more of a build and folks like Penelope and Swole aren't even in the tournament.

I don't love Shida's reign so far, but I don't know who would have been a better pandemic champion.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Cole just turned heel on his Undisputed Era buddies on NXT, that could either lead to another push or free him up if he doesn't want to sign a new contract. This will lead to new specuöation of him coming over to AEW.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Deeb's fully signed with AEW but I don't think a Deeb title reign is going to be much different than Shida aside from her matches wil be more consistently good. From what I've seen, Deeb is a pretty weak promo so I doubt we'd get anything more than very basic stories like they've done with Shida,

I've said this a bunch of times but I really think Britt makes the most sense as the next champ, even if her in ring skills are still developing. They clearly trust her to help carry storylines more than any other women's wrestler. To grow, the division needs big storylines driving its title picture and she's the best bet to get there right now.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Deeb's fully signed with AEW but I don't think a Deeb title reign is going to be much different than Shida aside from her matches wil be more consistently good. From what I've seen, Deeb is a pretty weak promo so I doubt we'd get anything more than very basic stories like they've done with Shida,

I've said this a bunch of times but I really think Britt makes the most sense as the next champ, even if her in ring skills are still developing. They clearly trust her to help carry storylines more than any other women's wrestler. To grow, the division needs big storylines driving its title picture and she's the best bet to get there right now.

Couldn't agree more. The only alternative would be Thunder Rosa, but she's not signed yet.
Personally I wouldn't have been mad if they tried more with Nyla, but unfortunately Vicky Guerrero would dominate those promos these days and that would be bad.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017

She's just not very athletic and it limits her ring skills but she's done an amazing job of building up her in-match character work to counter that and the effort really shows.

It's crazy how far she's come since the Jericho cruise ship promo (in-ring, promo, and her character) and I think she definitely deserves the run that they were pining to give her from the start. Britt definitely has the capability to elevate a feud in a way that Shida seems to lack right now, at least until she gets more comfortable doing promos and given the time to, and the women desperately need a more involved title storyline.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there are bigger plans for Rin Kadokura. Hey make note she's a freelancer and is seemingly the most unknown of all the entrants. Has there been interest of her part of traveling? I feel she could be unknown enough for AEW to scoop her up and have a "homegrown" joshi star if she's any good

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
She's just not very athletic and it limits her ring skills but she's done an amazing job of building up her in-match character work to counter that and the effort really shows.

It's crazy how far she's come since the Jericho cruise ship promo (in-ring, promo, and her character) and I think she definitely deserves the run that they were pining to give her from the start. Britt definitely has the capability to elevate a feud in a way that Shida seems to lack right now, at least until she gets more comfortable doing promos and given the time to, and the women desperately need a more involved title storyline.

Yeah Britt is definitely not a natural in the ring though I think she's improved a little bit. Her current ring level and style at least works well enough for a heel. She was a really bad fit for the white meat babyface character because she came off pretty bland as a character but didn't wow you in the ring either. Shida can pull it off because she has better energy and ring skills, Deeb even moreso because she's a more polished product.

I think having a vulnerable heel who has a ton of personality is just the perfect direction to take it next. It's a dynamic they haven't had in the women's division yet and it's one that can basically work with any type of challenger.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there are bigger plans for Rin Kadokura. Hey make note she's a freelancer and is seemingly the most unknown of all the entrants. Has there been interest of her part of traveling? I feel she could be unknown enough for AEW to scoop her up and have a "homegrown" joshi star if she's any good
I think, of all the women, she seems least likely to want to get into AEW. She's got a good thing going with multiple promotions (WAVE and Marvelous), and she just had a match with Stardom -- and more coming -- where she tagged with Mayu Iwatani which could mean bigger things there. She also tweets -a lot- and really hasn't bothered mentioning AEW other than around the announcement. Pretty sure she's losing first round and has already started thinking about her other promotions.

Not to go smark, but of all the women in the tournament, she's the one I'm most surprised by. She's not someone I would have thought would be a top choice for either Kenny or Shida if they were pulling from Marvelous or WAVE. They both have a lot of exceptional young talent, as well as more experienced showcase veterans. I'm thinking she may have just had an open schedule...

She's got a great look, tho. đź’Ş

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.