• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
That video and his Sasha comments ready sunk his ship. Dude has not been the same since.

but, it's no loss. Ricky Starks came along and seized an opportunity like no one else.

That Ricky comparison is spot on, honestly I couldn't possibly care less where Sammy goes from here. Any enthusiasm I have for him has disappeared.

And for sure I will spoiler tag G1 from now on after being told to yesterday, I forget not everyone watches live the hours are so wonky

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. So there's a pretty nasty rumor going around that several AEW stars were not on tonight's show either due to precautions regarding COVID-19 or because they tested positive. A couple reporters apparently tried to look into it and receive a lot of "No Comment" replies from AEW sources.

I don't want to speculate regarding who might be what, but there were some obvious and notable absences from tonight's show that didn't make sense, beyond just Archer.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That Ricky comparison is spot on, honestly I couldn't possibly care less where Sammy goes from here. Any enthusiasm I have for him has disappeared.

And for sure I will spoiler tag G1 from now on after being told to yesterday, I forget not everyone watches live the hours are so wonky
I just finished watching roughly 6 and a half hours of wrestling today... G1 Day 3, AEW Dark, AEW Late Night Dynamite and AEW Dynamite. I think I have a good problem... so much good wrestling content... and remember kids WWE free is the way to be!

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
that whole debacle is going to cast a long shadow for the foreseeable future whilst he proves he learned from those horrible comments (referring to Sammy Guevara). It doesn't help his program straight after was with Hardy which really sputtered without even counting Matt almost dting in their blowoff match.

a lot also comes to timing. Ricky starts popping up roughly the same time and overall Team Tazz and Dark Order have filled the wrestling and promo/comedy aspects that Inner Circle provided previously.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

that whole debacle is going to cast a long shadow for the foreseeable future whilst he proves he learned from those horrible comments (referring to Sammy Guevara). It doesn't help his program straight after was with Hardy which really sputtered without even counting Matt almost dting in their blowoff match.

a lot also comes to timing. Ricky starts popping up roughly the same time and overall Team Tazz and Dark Order have filled the wrestling and promo/comedy aspects that Inner Circle provided previously.
Definitely agree with you all.

Frankly, i was one of those that wanted to give Sammy a chance, see if he's genuinely learned from his mistakes. Then, he returns and just like that. I realized I did not give a single fuck. I figured, ok. Let's give it some time. I'm sure i'll go back to liking him quickly. Then all that going wrong with the Hardy rivalry. that was it. I can't muster a reaction when he's on tv. Damn shame.

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. So there's a pretty nasty rumor going around that several AEW stars were not on tonight's show either due to precautions regarding COVID-19 or because they tested positive. A couple reporters apparently tried to look into it and receive a lot of "No Comment" replies from AEW sources.

I don't want to speculate regarding who might be what, but there were some obvious and notable absences from tonight's show that didn't make sense, beyond just Archer.

Hopefully it's not everyone that was missing tonight and some people just opted out after Archer tested positive. Don't think they would have announced Britt and FTR/SCU for next week if they knew it wasn't happening.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Stu and Reynolds not being out with the rest of Dark Order really stood out, especially Stu. Also Cage not showing up at the end with Taz and Ricky was a little weird.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The funniest thing with Ricky Starks is to go back to his WWE appearances where he just got squashed by Jinder, squashed by Kane, bullied by Ryback, squashed by The Revival, lost to Enzo and Big Ass. Like, WWE just immediately pinned him as a geek in every shot they gave him, clearly weren't going to use him. Now here he is in AEW and he's clearly one of the top guys at basically everything.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Stu and Reynolds not being out with the rest of Dark Order really stood out, especially Stu. Also Cage not showing up at the end with Taz and Ricky was a little weird.

Butcher and blade were also conspicuously absent. Though, it could be that some of them opted not to travel when their matches got scuttled and/or weren't originally planned to be there tonight for non covid reasons.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I still like Sammy as a character FWIW, but his Hardy feud was bad and Hardy almost died. So that's a sour taste coming off his suspension.

Honestly the IC has turned into a mid tier faction and while jericho can handle that it's not helping PnP or Sammy right now. Toadie to the World Champ is very different to the guy guessing with :checks notes: half an undercard tag team.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems to be true

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a lot, Jericho
Not sure if sarcasm, but based on timing it couldn't have been him. It was probably someone they brought in for Dark or one of the talents that is dating someone from WWE since NXT also had an outbreak. No real point in speculating I guess, because it could have come from anywhere. They are wrestling in a state with one of the worst handlings of covid-19 if not the worst.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
No G1 spoilers yet but he gets his own post for emphasis - I love Zack Sabre Jr and wish there was someone like him in AEW. Would be so cool to have someone who can work an old school , grapple technician type of match. His transitions are so confident, seamless, clever .For me it's so interesting to watch wrestlers of different molds deal with his style. Sadly I think the best we'll get in that regard are the " oh look 'x' has a submission move now" types of things

And browsing his twitter im now an even bigger fan as he is all in on Black Lives Matter and progressive causes , thank the Lord for that

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
-I know losing to a cheating comedy wrestler doesn't matter but it still sucks seeing Tana take the L and be 0-2 after how great he was last week
-Yano Tokyo dome main event??? Look who he has beaten in the last month lol
- oh SANADA you have such a great look but why do you bore me more often than not
- Not familiar w Juice but I can appreciate a Blues Bros gimmick
-Kenta has a cash in brief case for the US title? Mox's
US title...? I wonder when that's going to go down, during AEW holiday break?
- I appreciate Mortal Kombat caped up EVIL, I hate the constant cheating W managers that NJPW does. Love the leg windup for his STO judo finisher, fun to call too "everything is Eviiillllll"
- idk who EVIL's opponent was but they had a great match
- I continue to adore everything about Naito, knowing his journey it's always so cool seeing him double belted.
- As expected Naito and ZSJ was a great match , would've liked to see Zack take the W as Naito is untouchable right now nothing will hurt him

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Kind of calls into question Archer's story about how he got it but you never know, he could just as easily have picked it up separately.

When I didn't see Stooo or Reynolds out with the rest of Dark Order my mind immediately went there, so may be safe to say they're two of the affected. Hard to say who else it could be since they don't have everybody on every show anyway.

Hopefully everyone recovers well and there weren't any lingering asymptomatic carriers that slipped through the cracks last night. If it really did come from one of the indy wrestlers on Dark, now might be a time to rethink how they're using all those folks. I think it's great they've been helping to get them all work, but now really is the time to be limiting the number of people you have coming in...

Also probably a good opportunity to increase mask usage. I get they're testing everybody, but we always knew that false negatives can happen. Everybody ringside and backstage should be wearing masks.

Last edited:

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
No G1 spoilers yet but he gets his own post for emphasis - I love Zack Sabre Jr and wish there was someone like him in AEW. Would be so cool to have someone who can work an old school , grapple technician type of match. His transitions are so confident, seamless, clever .For me it's so interesting to watch wrestlers of different molds deal with his style. Sadly I think the best we'll get in that regard are the " oh look 'x' has a submission move now" types of things

And browsing his twitter im now an even bigger fan as he is all in on Black Lives Matter and progressive causes , thank the Lord for that
ZSJ is the best and my fav wrestler. Here's a gem from last year's G1.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Dark has the most entertaining announce team in wrestling. Supple! Carter vs Johnson was one of the best matches in show's history.

Dynamite Special:

- Carter vs Sky was great. They need to lock Carter into a contract ASAP.
- Jay vs Brandi was solid. The added intensity helped Brandi's offense look better.
- Sydal vs Spears was good.

Dynamite:

- Sabian & Miro vs Sonny & Janela was solid. Got a bit sloppy when Miro tweaked his ankle.
- Kingston is money on the mic. Short effective segment to hype up a short notice title match.
- Evil Uno vs Page was good. LOL Matt.
- OC vs Brodie (c) was great. Excalibur with the Fire Ant reference. Silver's antics were fun. Didn't expect Cody back so soon. He looks strange without the dyed hair. Brodie spitting fire.
- I don't mind Private Party vs The Inner Circle so long as Hardy is only in a manager role. Top Guys Trolling.
- Ivelisse & Diamante vs Rosa & Shida was good.
- These Jericho/MJF segments are hilarious.
- Kingston vs Mox (c) was my MOTN. Kingston really sucks you into his matches with his emotion. Hobbs and Starks still got a bit of shine in the brawl.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Strong show.

Hope Cage is ok, it wasn't pointed out on the show but was also off "sick" and he isn't scheduled for next week either, hopefully it's not Covid related and they're just taking precautions.

Good debut from Miro, like his new ring gear and he got himself in great shape, would've preferred to see him working face but I'm sure that'll come in time. Not seeing him for years reminded me that he has a strong presence about him.

Mox/Kingston was like someone injected some Japan into an AEW match. Chop city. It was physical and ugly but highly entertaining. Circumstances forced their hand tonight and they deliver that? Gimme a full program between the two down the line. Having Kingston come out right after the opening match and cut a promo calling out Mox was a stroke of genius, it really helped add a sense of urgency to the main event. And now we potentially have the opportunity to see Mox vs Penta or Fenix in the next couple of weeks too. Wins all around

Really liking seeing Jericho working with Private Party. He's gonna help these two get to the next level, get more out of them. Just a quick example tonight was they are immediately given the opportunity to talk with a live mic. And while they weren't great, they weren't terrible, but importantly this new program will give them the chance to show off more personality, help them grow as performers and just learn from one of the best ever. Only good things to come from this for PP.

I think it's fair to say now, if it wasn't before, that Brodie is an AEW success story, and I don't factor BTE into that. Putting aside the rushed feud with Mox, they've done wonders with Brodie since. He's delivering in his character, his promos, his ring work. Also there were clear "Brodie sucks" chants from the live crowd, it was awesome to hear the crowd actually invested in Dark Order and Brodie.

I've read some people say that since the feud with Jericho, that Orange should not go back to his lazy mannerisms in the ring, that he should be all go in the ring from now on and I disagreed with that. After watching this match I disagree even more now. It's a balancing act. If you lose the laziness then you lose part of his character, if you do it too much then it will get boring too. The laziness is not just character work, it's for storytelling purposes and psychology. He gets into his opponents heads. Provided it's done sparingly and correctly, it only adds to the match.

Cody made his big return to get revenge on Brodie and the Dark Order. I guess he's been playing DMC while stuck at home recuperating. He changed his look up and dyed his hair black. You could say Cody has chosen to.....Bury The Light.....Anyway glad he's back, show hasn't missed him but I can't deny I enjoy what he brings to the wrestling buffet table that is AEW.

The women's match was ok, bit rough, it seemed they got confused at points. Gimme more Shida and Rosa but I don't need to see them against Diamante and Ivelisse again

The Bucks continue to be pricks and FTR continue to be cowardly weasels, we are heading towards a heel vs heel showdown with this one.

Page and Uno was a good match. I really like how much character Uno shows in his matches. I know he's got to do all the mannerisms because he can't show his face but he's good at letting you know with his body language what his character feels at a point in time, it's not just generic heel taunting for boos.

Really good show.

Sign Ben Carter.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Rewatched the Miro debut. The match was actually pretty good until Miro tweaked his ankle. It did break down and become pretty sloppy after that.

The other problem with the match is that people want to cheer Miro, but his alliance with Kip, as well as his gimmick, makes him a heel.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With how hyped up everyone was with the Miro signing, actually seeing him wrestle was a big let down for me. Obviously not fair to judge from one tag match, hope he has a lot more to show in the future, because from the limited showing last night he seemed kind of bad to me.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
With how hyped up everyone was with the Miro signing, actually seeing him wrestle was a big let down for me. Obviously not fair to judge from one tag match, hope he has a lot more to show in the future, because from the limited showing last night he seemed kind of bad to me.

He needs to be in singles matches. Can't wait to see him put up against AEW's bigger guys, like Brodie, Cage, Archer, etc.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the COVID reports are true, then I think it's likely that Nick Jackson also got it since he was obviously absent during that interview with Tony and Matt.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Rewatched the Miro debut. The match was actually pretty good until Miro tweaked his ankle. It did break down and become pretty sloppy after that.

The other problem with the match is that people want to cheer Miro, but his alliance with Kip, as well as his gimmick, makes him a heel.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of when fans clearly want to cheer for someone but they make him a heel. Or they want to boo someone but they make them a face. I'm hoping Miro turns on Kip eventually and becomes a face but I kind of doubt that happens anytime soon. Maybe he wants to be a heel but AEW already has a surplus of those.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
-Even if Miro didn't get hurt, the opening match went way too long and there were multiple times I was fearing for the lives of the guys in the match. You know its bad when Janela has a camera right on him and he is screaming at the top of his lungs to see if Kip survived falling right on his head on the concrete
-I get that Covid is tricky, but why are the announcers saying "Archer came into contact with a person with Covid, so out of an abundance of caution he didn't travel tonight" when Archer had literally gone out and said "yeah I have COVID"
-Eddie promo is good. I feel that Eddie works best with short time constraints, he's always got an aura, but I feel that in longer promos he kinda loses me. That was not the case tonight, lol
-Paige-Uno was an incredible match, and Kenny was great on commentary again- shout out the line about Uno wearing a body suit to both protect him from chops and to hide his hideous physique!- but this was basically the same thing as last week and I hope we get some advancement soon
-The industry is better for having Tony back on camera, even if you think he sucks as a commentator, he's just the best at interviews. Thought this one with Matt was great and what a DICK move breaking a guys phone!
-I have a feeling that the Brodie-Cassidy match was originally going to be the main event before the world title match was added, and thus this felt kinda week, more of a setup for Cody's return than an actual match (last week, I thought there was a good chance Orange was winning this!). I will never not enjoy Brodie murdering people half his size, and the cody return angle was great.
-Holy fucking Shit the Brodie Lee promo. One of AEWs problems is that even if a promo isn't bad, just mediocre, it comes across as shit because some of the people on the show are just incredible promos, and you can add Brodie to that list. Someone should be fired from WWE for never letting this dude talk
-Hardy segment was kind of a mess. Hardy was tripping over himself, and Quen looked like he'd never held a mike before. Kassidy at least came across well even if his material wasn't great. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEEP SAMMY AWAY FROM MATT THIS FEUD IS LITERAL DEATH
-I don't know why Tully is with FTR. Tully was all over the place with this promo while FTR remained as strong as they have been since day one.
-No more Ivelisse or Diamante on Dynamtie.
-Jericho MJF segment was the two top stars in the promotion, one half the age of the other, just showing mastery of their craft.
-I really liked the style that was done for the Moxley-Kingston match, just a raw, brutal fistfight

There were only 2 good matches on this two hour show but a lot of the promos were great. Grading on the curve of there last handful of live shows, this was one of the better ones, but not on the level of their taped shows

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
It could be the dynamic they're trying to go for is that the fans are going to cheer for Miro even though he's aligned as a heel, and that's going to create tension there. You have to think they knew he is somebody the wrestling fans will want to cheer, so that dynamic could be intentional. I could be wrong. If the fans really do insist on cheering for him, it's probably best for them to play into it rather than try and resist it because that never really goes well.

Hybrid Hunter

May 9, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Damn, this Covid outbreak sounds bad. Hopefully they worked out the source so we can avoid further outbreaks.

I'm sure with Miro, AEW knew he was going to be cheered for, he is the Best Man after all. We're just going to have to wait for this story to play out. I trust where they are going with this, and look forward to more antics between Miro and Kip.

The only way people are going to get better at promos is to let them do promos with a crowd, and that's what Private Party got to do last night. They'll only get better if they continue to trade on the mic with Jericho. Hardy is usually better, seems like he just had a brain fart.

Cody back is cool, I'm a fan so am interested to see where he goes now with his jet black hair.

Kingston killed with Mox, and I love how in the ending beatdown, he just was there holding Mox's head, lamenting the fact that he lost his opportunity at winning the title. You really believe that he wanted to win it, Kingston just brings that realism in wrestling you don't see much these days.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Any word on Darby after Starks broke him in half with that spear? Those two have had some stiff-ass encounters. Thinking a few weeks back when Starks attacked him from behind sending Darby face first into the ropes, looking like he KO'd him.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
The only way people are going to get better at promos is to let them do promos with a crowd, and that's what Private Party got to do last night. They'll only get better if they continue to trade on the mic with Jericho. Hardy is usually better, seems like he just had a brain fart.

I'm in full agreement here. I was a little peeved seeing people dogging on that segment so much. Obviously they need to get better, but if we want to see new guys get a chance and we want unscripted promos, then sometimes there are going to be things that don't land. It wasn't good but it doesn't even come close to registering on the pantheon of bad promos all time. It's a great opportunity for them to get to work with Jericho (and Hardy, too) so hopefully this helps them get there.

Dang. Well, aside from hoping the obvious that he has a good recovery, I hope the cool things he had lined up were more work with AEW.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I don't agree with anyone who called the Hardy/PP/Jericho segment "the worst of the year" or anything that hyperbolic. Hope PP uses it as a learning opportunity. This company could be utterly amazing in 3-4 years once these young guys get more reps in. Imagine working with the likes of Jericho, Hardy, Cody, et al when you're 22 to 26 years old. Soak up everything you can from their learning tree, and reap the harvest years from now. AEW's homegrown talent is going to be so rad.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I think they've generally taken pretty reasonable precautions to continue running shows during the pandemic but it's an opportunity to look at what they're doing and tighten it up as much as possible.

-Increase mask usage. Everybody ringside should wear one, referee should, everybody should have them on backstage. The testing is great and necessary but it's not fool proof. This is something I've always felt they've been a bit too lax with.

-They should really think about scaling back how many indy performers they're bringing in. They're doing them a great service, but they are really bringing in a lot of extra people, and the reality is that the more people you're bringing on to the scene, the greater chance of something like this happening.

-They should also really think hard about how much some of their signed talent are doing indy shows too. I would think about limiting that, even if they need to compensate their wrestlers to make up for the additional income they can't get. While AEW can test everybody every time, these indies aren't going to have that ability so there's a lot of their own wrestlers who are getting themselves in higher risk situations on the side.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The good thing about Ben Carter was that episode of Late Night was filmed like 2 weeks ago, there is a decent chance he didn't have it when he was at the arena