• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
AEW is way more receptive to criticism and feedback than WWE is so if enough fans make a big stink about this then maybe they won't go live.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
AEW is way more receptive to criticism and feedback than WWE is so if enough fans make a big stink about this then maybe they won't go live.
going off of what the observer reported, it sounds like they're already bringing in people two weeks early to quarantine prior to recording.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. Billionaires have one love in common
WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-size_restricted.gif

Tony reading comments on people saying to stop record altogether most likely give him a chuckle.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
slightly better update
They aren't committed or obligated to go live every week, and say they'll tape when it makes sense. The first Dynamite in May and Double or Nothing will be live, with some taped and staggered episodes in between.

slightly

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

Ryan Satin also saying some shows will be "live to tape".

I guess we'll have to see the details but if they just do 5/6, DoN live and then tape a few more shows after DoN and give a few weeks off, I'm not going to freak out about that.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

We've reached out to Tony Khan for clarification on the upcoming Dynamite taping schedule.

-Dynamite will be live on May 6

-May 13 will be taped

-May 20 returns live, for the week of DoN

-Post Double Or Nothing schedule to be determined

Khan noted that these will not be full crew shows, as international talent still unavailable and those uncomfortable with participating continuing to be excused. He expects about double the talent of what was available at the last set of tapings in Georgia.

Khan also noted that AEW must continue to produce new content as to not default on their television contract, which essentially is the lone revenue stream along with PPV.

Khan also noted that AEW must continue to produce new content as to not default on their television contract, which essentially is the lone revenue stream along with PPV.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i'm empathetic with the need to make new TV to maintain the contract and keep everyone's jobs. and aew does deserve credit for not firing anyone and letting folk stay home if they want (until there's evidence that aew is pressuring people to wrestle like WWE is doing, i'm not going to assume the worst). i think, up through now, they're trying to do this whole thing decently. but there's clearly a gap in planning and priorities here.

but yeah, from here on AEW is going to show its true colors. best case scenario, there's just no way they could have done this otherwise. they're keeping folk for maybe a whole month and doing a lot of new recording between may 6 and may 23. worst case? they're bringing in all these people just to build up story, sending them home, then bringing them back, and then continuing to do so from June on.

crossing my fingers for the best case scenario. i don't want to think of aew being garbage.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
if they go back to live weekly shows I may be done with aew. the whole point to me was to watch a wrestling show that wasn't 100% ethically bankrupt.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
LOL...people think AEW is suddenly gonna back outta this if fans respond negatively? Nah, yall know this is a business and yall should know how the Kahns roll.

This is a stupid decision in general but I'm not surprised. These wrestling companies are disgusting.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait so people are upset by this? The difference is AEW does not have the library of content WWE does. AEW is also a relatively new company that would 100% go under without the TV revenue, meanwhile WWE has $500 million in cash reserves and debt options. The fact people don't understand this is mind numbing. At some point production for all tv shows, movies, etc will be starting again, unless everything should be cancelled until next year?

I 100% think states opening before June is way way to fast but if it's a closed set, and they take extra precautions they have to have some sort of content for TNT.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Well then, at least the title's pretty accurate now. -.-

In all honesty, they should close things down for the time being.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so people are upset by this? The difference is AEW does not have the library of content WWE does. AEW is also a relatively new company that would 100% go under without the TV revenue, meanwhile WWE has $500 million in cash reserves and debt options. The fact people don't understand this is mind numbing. At some point production for all tv shows, movies, etc will be starting again, unless everything should be cancelled until next year?

I 100% think states opening before June is way way to fast but if it's a closed set, and they take extra precautions they have to have some sort of content for TNT.

AEW is owned BY ONE OF THE RICHEST MEN IN THE WORLD

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Or we could not put people's health and safety at risk for fake sports.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Figured they weren't going to tape weekly, makes no sense. Even every other week seems too often compared to what they'd need to do, but that may be influenced by Double or Nothing in the short term.

IMO, a decent balance would be to tape about a month's worth of content, keeping the workers largely in isolation before and after, rinse and repeat. Seems like a reasonable compromise to help keep people safe while continuing to honor their TV deal to keep the company alive.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Wrestling isn't more important than people's health let alone in a global pandemic. Anyone trying to defend needs to take their cape off and stop trying to save these companies.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AEW is owned BY ONE OF THE RICHEST MEN IN THE WORLD
Yeah man that's neat he also owns a soccer team and NFL team that are both currently losing money as well.

Or we could not put people's health and safety at risk for fake sports.
Sure and it sounds like they are trying to find a balance for it along with making more content until they can resume like normal. Crazy how that works right?

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wrestling isn't more important than people's health let alone in a global pandemic. Anyone trying to defend needs to take their cape off and stop trying to save these companies.
No one is saying it is? When should they resume taping content, what's your thoughts there expert? Next month, December, next year?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah man that's neat he also owns a soccer team and NFL team that are both currently losing money as well.

Sure and it sounds like they are trying to find a balance for it along with making more content until they can resume like normal. Crazy how that works right?

How about they don't make more content?

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about they don't make more content?
Then they most likely lose the TV deal with Turner and everyone working there is out of a job, since the TV deal was the thing that helped start the company in the first place. No content = breach of contract. Hell taped content works just fine for the networks but no content won't work guaranteed

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
No one is saying it is? When should they resume taping content, what's your thoughts there expert? Next month, December, next year?
?

What kind of a question is this? They should resume tapings when the entire country is open again, when this pandemic is handled and when people can all safely go back to work, go outside when they please, when we don't have to social distance and when they can actually go out and to stores without wearing a mask.

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? Do you know the exact day that is? If so then post the receipts buddy.

Oct 25, 2017
As long as things are in place to ensure people are checked and stay healthy and maybe all live at the Jacksonville stadium for the foreseeable future, go for it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Then they most likely lose the TV deal with Turner and everyone working there is out of a job, since the TV deal was the thing that helped start the company in the first place. No content = breach of contract. Hell taped content works just fine for the networks but no content won't work guaranteed

Oh well then?

Like you're basically telling me that it's worth it to put health and lives at risk (and not just the wrestlers but everyone they meet such as airline employees, etc...) because AEW will die.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
?

What kind of a question is this? They should resume tapings when the entire country is open again, when this pandemic is handled and when people can all safely go back to work, go outside and when they can actually go out without wearing a mask.

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? Do you know the exact day that is? If so then post the receipts buddy.
Well some states have already (mistakenly) reopened so they are following those guidelines no? Is it ever going to be fully gone? I've seen reports say no it might turn into a seasonal thing...

yeah I'm sure that dude is fucking hurting

maybe we should start a gofundme for the family?
Yeah man you got em! Let's not think about the workers or employees just the one guy FUCK EM they can all go work at Walmart like everyone else is doing. Such a small minded fucking view

Oh well then?

Like you're basically telling me that it's worth it to put health and lives at risk (and not just the wrestlers but everyone they meet such as airline employees, etc...) because AEW will die.
Never said that at all, if these states are opening back up, then it's not just AEW putting people at risk and if AEW has 2 live shows and tapes everything else it sounds like they are trying to find a way to minimize any sort of impact they'll have. Real talk have you left your house to go anywhere since this all broke out? If you did then you put people's lives at risk. Is it the same as getting essentials, absolutely not we agree on that but a whole company shouldn't fold and lots of people lose their jobs because they are following idiotic state guidelines. It's one thing to say "we're running weekly shows, nothing taped and no added precautions" but they are having their people quarantine, I assume get tested (since Daily's Place is a testing site) and trying to limit how often their talent is having to go out. Not to mention they could literally fly talent in and out via a private jet we have no clue how they are operating things, some might drive even. If we get more details and everyone is flying normal and no precautions are taken, sure let's get after them but how about we see the plan before trying to revolt?

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes well literally every other TV/Film industry is not taking the chances AEW and WWE are....
Everything is going back to filming in June/July so yeah they kind of are? The difference is a lot of the shows aren't weekly they are season based, and movies just eat delayed. Notice how all the talk shows and news programs and sportscenter is still running albeit a littler different.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah man you got em! Let's not think about the workers or employees just the one guy FUCK EM they can all go work at Walmart like everyone else is doing. Such a small minded fucking view

or you know, the guy with billions of dollars can take care of those employees without endangering some of them

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm against still producing live stuff at the moment. However if AEW is gonna pull a WWE and go back to providing new content, it really doesn't have to be live. Just mass tape until you have enough for a month or so. There's no reason for the show to go live. Ratings aren't a factor as folks can clearly see and no spoilers so far have leaked. Disappointing AEW is going this route.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Never said that at all, if these states are opening back up, then it's not just AEW putting people at risk and if AEW has 2 live shows and tapes everything else it sounds like they are trying to find a way to minimize any sort of impact they'll have. Real talk have you left your house to go anywhere since this all broke out? If you did then you put people's lives at risk. Is it the same as getting essentials, absolutely not we agree on that but a whole company shouldn't fold and lots of people lose their jobs because they are following idiotic state guidelines. It's one thing to say "we're running weekly shows, nothing taped and no added precautions" but they are having their people quarantine, I assume get tested (since Daily's Place is a testing site) and trying to limit how often their talent is having to go out. Not to mention they could literally fly talent in and out via a private jet we have no clue how they are operating things, some might drive even. If we get more details and everyone is flying normal and no precautions are taken, sure let's get after them but how about we see the plan before trying to revolt?

Yeah I'm working at a grocery store 40 hours a week for slightly above minimum wage to make sure seniors and immuno-compromised people can stay home, stay healthy/alive, and stay fed.

And do you know what else I'm doing besides being an essential service worker?

Absolutely nothing. I go to work, I come home and I stay home. On my days off I don't go out.

Ya played yourself hard with this my man.

I like the attempt to play Glass Houses and Stones... but friend I live in a brick house and it's mighty mighty

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Well some states have already (mistakenly) reopened so they are following those guidelines no? Is it ever going to be fully gone? I've seen reports say no it might turn into a seasonal thing...
There's a difference between Covid-19 being truly gone and people not having to social distance, wear masks outside, can freely roam stores and everyone going back to work. It might never be gone but that doesn't mean that companies don't need to start shows back up. When people are still social distancing, wearing masks, when we can't go to stores when we need to, when we can't stay out past specific times, when people are out of work due to this...that's not the time to restart having tapings.

Let alone in wrestling when men and women are constantly touching each other. That's stupid.

Anyone still doing shows during this is showing that they are more about the money, the brand and their business than the health of everyone else. Straight up. Doesn't matter if it's AEW, doesn't matter if it's WWE, they're all doing the same thing.

Me for example, I'm an essential worker. I've been ordering products from manufacturers to send to these hospitals, to these patients, to children with Covid-19. With that said now, with everyone still being impacted by this and the world still being changed to this day, do you mean to tell me that wrestling of all things need to still go on? When I get a call about a child with symptoms who needs something?

Come on now. It's silly. Wrestling is the last thing that needs to be opened up right now when people's health is at risk.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I'm against still producing live stuff at the moment. However if AEW is gonna pull a WWE and go back to providing new content, it really doesn't have to be live. Just mass tape until you have enough for a month or so. There's no reason for the show to go live. Ratings aren't a factor as folks can clearly see and no spoilers so far have leaked. Disappointing AEW is going this route.

I think it's kind of the same thing if they're going to air some stuff taped. They're just doing the first taping coinciding with the live TV time, and then taping additional content afterwords for the following week(s). I mean, it seems to me it would be easier to just tape everything and remove any of the typical variables/difficulties that go along with a live TV broadcast, but it seems that effectively they are planning to limit gatherings and tapings so that they don't need to get together every week to produce TV.

all these randoms who come into the thread and start screaming get added to the ignore pile.

The thread is much more bearable if you remove the people who never post here unless there's some kind of negative news to throw shots about. There's already a whole other thread for that so I don't see the need to come and troll this one.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
or you know, the guy with billions of dollars can take care of those employees without endangering some of them
They aren't bringing overseas talent or international talent and we have no clue how people are getting there, mind you without a tv contract there is no company and without a company everyone loses their jobs, so you know...

Yeah I'm working at a grocery store 40 hours a week for slightly above minimum wage to make sure seniors and immuno-compromised people can stay home, stay healthy/alive, and stay fed.

And do you know what else I'm doing besides being an essential service worker?

Absolutely nothing. I go to work, I come home and I stay home. On my days off I don't go out.

Ya played yourself hard with this my man.

I like the attempt to play Glass Houses and Stones... but friend I live in a brick house and it's mighty mighty
Neat, I'm an essential worker too, except I don't work at a store so I had to go out and get groceries for me and my elderly family members. I'm the point being you want to focus on one company for trying to stay afloat and not lose a deal that will 100% put them out of business and ignore everything else happening in the world. Not how it works, like how you willfully ignored about other tv programs, movies and talk shows part, wonder why? They sound like they want to make more content while minimizing the risk and then only go live every week when it makes sense too. Nothing wrong with that at all since it will help keep the company open. All of you bitching about this has ignored the whole $500 million WWE has vs what AEW might have. The Khans are paying for every employee in every company they have as far as I know so let's cast those stones from our brick houses about how fucking awful they are

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
all these randoms who come into the thread and start screaming get added to the ignore pile.

I wish I could bring myself to throw some people in here on ignore, but I try extremely hard to understand everyone's perspective. I swear some only come into this thread to post negativity and I've never seen a positive post from them. They're here just to shit on everything.

And I'm not saying just with recent circumstances either. I'm talking all the way back to last year. (ex. Kenny Omega sucks now and was better in NJPW)

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have made every AEW PPV OT so far and regularly praise the product

if y'all want to paint my complaints as "an axe to grind" or just trying to throw shit, that's ridiculous and insular

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between Covid-19 being truly gone and people not having to social distance, wear masks outside, can freely roam stores and everyone going back to work. It might never be gone but that doesn't mean that companies don't need to start shows back up. When people are still social distancing, wearing masks, when we can't go to stores when we need to, when we can't stay out past specific times, when people are out of work due to this...that's not the time to restart having tapings.

Let alone in wrestling when men and women are constantly touching each other. That's stupid.

Anyone still doing shows during this is showing that they are more about the money, the brand and their business than the health of everyone else. Straight up. Doesn't matter if it's AEW, doesn't matter if it's WWE, they're all doing the same thing.

Me for example, I'm an essential worker. I've been ordering products from manufacturers to send to these hospitals, to these patients, to children with Covid-19. With that said now, with everyone still being impacted by this and the world still being changed to this day, do you mean to tell me that wrestling of all things need to still go on? When I get a call about a child with symptoms who needs something?

Come on now. It's silly. Wrestling is the last thing that needs to be opened up right now when people's health is at risk.
See that's where you have to change your mindset, you view it as just wrestling when in reality this is their job. You have a job too and that's great, for them if they don't produce more content they might not have jobs anymore see how that works? It's truly not hard. I get what you're saying but it they truly have 1 live event in May and the PPV and they tape for 2 months or however long of content why should we trash them they are doing their job trying to be smart about it and continue to follow guidelines. As I said before for all we know all talent will drive or be flown in via private jet to avoid public airports, they all might get tested on site, etc etc. once we know the full plan than we can start to form opinions (good or bad) towards it

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
So what are the major differences of live vs taped?

Are there going to be crowds?

If not, what makes a live showing less ethical than a taped showing?

Edit: now that I think about it, I'm guessing it exposes talent and staff by having them leave their homes.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Neat, I'm an essential worker too, except I don't work at a store so I had to go out and get groceries for me and my elderly family members. I'm the point being you want to focus on one company for trying to stay afloat and not lose a deal that will 100% put them out of business and ignore everything else happening in the world. Not how it works, like how you willfully ignored about other tv programs, movies and talk shows part, wonder why? They sound like they want to make more content while minimizing the risk and then only go live every week when it makes sense too. Nothing wrong with that at all since it will help keep the company open. All of you bitching about this has ignored the whole $500 million WWE has vs what AEW might have. The Khans are paying for every employee in every company they have as far as I know so let's cast those stones from our brick houses about how fucking awful they are

Not even a single apology that you assumed the dirt worst about me and my practices on contributing to stopping the spread.... I'd say I;m surprised but I;m not.

The point you were actually making was to assume I am not dedicated to social distancing and combating the spread so as to cast aspersions on my claim that what I'm concerned with is protecting lives and health.... Only oops turned out I was genuine so now here you are shifting them goal posts.

And if TV shows are truly returning to filming in June fuck them too!

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
So what are the major differences of live vs taped?

Are there going to be crowds?

If not, what makes a live showing less ethical than a taped showing?
Live you have to have people show up each week. Taped you can tape a bunch of stuff and then send everyone home. I think going live is a bit of a mistake but I don't have a problem with them getting back together to tape shows honestly. I think it can be done smartly and relatively safely.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of the same thing if they're going to air some stuff taped. They're just doing the first taping coinciding with the live TV time, and then taping additional content afterwords for the following week(s). I mean, it seems to me it would be easier to just tape everything and remove any of the typical variables/difficulties that go along with a live TV broadcast, but it seems that effectively they are planning to limit gatherings and tapings so that they don't need to get together every week to produce TV.

The thing is, they don't really have to go live when you think about it. Again, no spoilers are leaking out for these matches because there isn't an audience. Ratings for them are held steady even though they are down just a tad. I would highly doubt TNT/Warner are forcing AEW to go live due to contract regulations since AEW is still popular and beating WWE programming 90% of the time. I can see a scummy company like Fox doing it for WWE cuz they overpaid but not TNT. And heck, TNT and AEW can simply say we will provide new content but not go live so we can take care of are fellow employees and the positive PR for it would be big.

I'm a big fan of AEW but I still have to say I'm kind of disappointed they are going to go live every so often at this time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.