• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Jesus guys it's just a photo. Lol.

JR could easily be taken out for Scorpio Sky, Nyla Rose, Big Swole, Pentagon Jr., or someone else of colour. At this point, we're not even getting base token representation on ad materials. The reason it's disappointing is because AEW has positioned itself as a progressive wrestling company, and they are in many ways, but this is them getting something super basic wrong, or at least making it feel problematic.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
JR could easily be taken out for Scorpio Sky, Nyla Rose, Big Swole, Pentagon Jr., or someone else of colour. At this point, we're not even getting base token representation on ad materials. The reason it's disappointing is because AEW has positioned itself as a progressive wrestling company, and they are in many ways, but this is them getting something super basic wrong, or at least making it feel problematic.

It doesn't help that outside of Nyla a lot of the people of color in their roster are not doing very high profile stuff at the moment (at least not that I can recall). I'm still really bummed that we haven't gotten the Scorpio Sky singles run yet. I feel like everything that was done to build him up has kind of since been undone to an extent.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
And it's the image they're using to promote their first show in New Orleans which should be a big deal. I get what you're saying but the little stuff matters.

To be fair JR still has a ton of clout and brings lots of nostalgia for old wrestling fans.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Things AEW needs:

1.) More Queer Talent: You hired Nyla Rose and Sonny Kiss, which is dope af. But Sonny is shuffled away on AEW Dark, so what are we doing? EFFY. Jamie Senegal. Candy Lee. There, there's three names for you just to start--you can get more. Mercedes should've been on the roster for sure.

2.) More People of Color: Not enough credit is given to Proud and Powerful and Private Party, but then lately they've been kinda pushed into the background. Even now when we talk about signings, we're looking for: The Revival, Brodie Lee, Matt Hardy, and an already signed Lance Archer. Five more straight white dudes. And I mean, I want 'em all at the company--they're all dope as fuck. But also, there's got to be a few other lucha libre wrestlers you could get, maybe a black guy who can do singles wrestling, and so on.

3.) More Women: Cody asked should they add a women's tag title or a midcard title first. The correct answer is a women's tag title, but they need a division first. They've got 10 full time women. They've got like, nearly 50 men. It's not out of line to say they need to at least double the number of women working there full time. Like, I love Bea and Jamie and Yuka but...they're rarely ever there. Stop telling me "NXT got them all", 'cause that's not even accurate.

3.) More Titles: Cody was right, but we still need more titles. People like the stripped down amount of titles AEW has, but that shit ain't realistic. Real spots have a billion titles. Minimum they need 2, but they could do 3 or 4 titles even. Women's tag, a midcard, a trios title, and a women's midcard title. These are contingent on building up the company, but still.

4.) A Tournament: These just spice things up. I'd love to see something along the lines of the 5 Star Grand Prix. It's like a mini G1, where instead of 9 wrestlers in two blocks for 30 minutes per match, it's 7 wrestlers in two blocks for 15 minutes per match. To keep a Western audience's attention, I'd say 5 wrestlers in two blocks for 15 minutes per match. There's something about getting to see the ups, the downs of a round robin tournament.

5.) A Second Show To Make All This Stuff Work: All the stuff I mentioned requires the one thing AEW doesn't have. Their shows are densely packed--you can cut maybe a segment here or there but mostly they're optimizing a show that's already hitting everything every week. I was thinking they didn't need more than Dark + AEW, but I was wrong. The only real question is do people want to watch two shows, because they could certainly have enough talent and content to make it work.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
3.) More Titles: Cody was right, but we still need more titles. People like the stripped down amount of titles AEW has, but that shit ain't realistic. Real spots have a billion titles. Minimum they need 2, but they could do 3 or 4 titles even. Women's tag, a midcard, a trios title, and a women's midcard title. These are contingent on building up the company, but still.

4.) A Tournament: These just spice things up. I'd love to see something along the lines of the 5 Star Grand Prix. It's like a mini G1, where instead of 9 wrestlers in two blocks for 30 minutes per match, it's 7 wrestlers in two blocks for 15 minutes per match. To keep a Western audience's attention, I'd say 5 wrestlers in two blocks for 15 minutes per match. There's something about getting to see the ups, the downs of a round robin tournament.

I'm pretty strongly opposed to a midcard title, at least with the current size of their roster. If they're basing title contention/standing on wins and losses and the rankings, then I don't see how you make a midcard belt work right now. Whoever wins that belt and is defending it is going to have a W/L record that puts them at or near the top of the rankings, so what extra does a midcard belt bring right now? I think they can accomplish the same purpose of putting spotlights on lesser known talent through tournaments, which I agree that sort of thing would be cool to see their take on it. A midcard belt can work if they have a substantially bigger roster, but right now the roster is too small IMO. They need to have a big enough roster that somebody can be midcard champion without realistically making it to the rankings list.

I definitely am down for women's tag and trios titles, though. I don't have a problem with titles for defined divisions.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Would love a King of the Ring style tournament to set up the secondary title. Have it end up with the winner having to wrestler two matches on the same night on a PPV the way WWE used to do KOTR.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Things AEW needs:

1.) More Queer Talent: You hired Nyla Rose and Sonny Kiss, which is dope af. But Sonny is shuffled away on AEW Dark, so what are we doing? EFFY. Jamie Senegal. Candy Lee. There, there's three names for you just to start--you can get more. Mercedes should've been on the roster for sure.

2.) More People of Color: Not enough credit is given to Proud and Powerful and Private Party, but then lately they've been kinda pushed into the background. Even now when we talk about signings, we're looking for: The Revival, Brodie Lee, Matt Hardy, and an already signed Lance Archer. Five more straight white dudes. And I mean, I want 'em all at the company--they're all dope as fuck. But also, there's got to be a few other lucha libre wrestlers you could get, maybe a black guy who can do singles wrestling, and so on.

3.) More Women: Cody asked should they add a women's tag title or a midcard title first. The correct answer is a women's tag title, but they need a division first. They've got 10 full time women. They've got like, nearly 50 men. It's not out of line to say they need to at least double the number of women working there full time. Like, I love Bea and Jamie and Yuka but...they're rarely ever there. Stop telling me "NXT got them all", 'cause that's not even accurate.

5.) A Second Show To Make All This Stuff Work: All the stuff I mentioned requires the one thing AEW doesn't have. Their shows are densely packed--you can cut maybe a segment here or there but mostly they're optimizing a show that's already hitting everything every week. I was thinking they didn't need more than Dark + AEW, but I was wrong. The only real question is do people want to watch two shows, because they could certainly have enough talent and content to make it work.

I think the lack of a second show is probably the cause of most of these issues, but I don't think the fanbase is there for it yet.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They are really, really trying to make Britt Baker get over, and I don't think its working. Its the one blind spot I think AEW has had so far. They've been quick to pivot in other instances.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
They are really, really trying to make Britt Baker get over, and I don't think its working. Its the one blind spot I think AEW has had so far. They've been quick to pivot in other instances.

Her new mean girl gimmick is super fucking over.

That said, they need to fix their fucking women's division. It's gotten to the point where my wife is way less interested in AEW as they are showing less and less of the women on TV

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That said, they need to fix their fucking women's division. It's gotten to the point where my wife is way less interested in AEW as they are showing less and less of the women on TV
Unfortunately, this is a problem that can't be instantly fixed. They only have a handful of women who are TV ready and probably don't want to be running the same matches almost every week. They definitely need to bolster up the division with more signings but that might be easier said than done. It's gonna get better but it's gonna take some time.

Where did private party go? They're awesome and it seemed like they were blowing up.
Mostly just picking up wins on Dark. They had a pretty good match with Hangman & Omega on Dynamite sometime before the Jericho Cruise.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I've been catching up on basically all of the 2020 episodes in the last week, and while I'm not huge on Britt Baker, her going heel is a 1000% improvement. I'm not sure where the 'story' with her is at the moment, but from what I can tell where I'm at, her swerve seems to be the only non-competition plot going on in women's now, which is probably why she's on the poster.

Did the Nightmare Collective evaporate? Wouldn't be complaining if it did, but the fact that it was so poorly received is probably a significant chunk of why the women's division is a bit of an amorphous mess at the moment. And Britt was supposed to be a babyface star. And Riho was abroad. Hopefully they'll get things straightened up now that things are a bit more set in place.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Womens division needs to focus only on signed fulltime stars, people like big swole, kris, shida need to be featured alot more. also Womens midcard needs to be established, as only who ever is in the title picture gets featured much

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
If AEW is adding a title, I'd love to see a trios title. I don't know much about non-US wrestling but is that a thing anywhere else? AEW has all these mini-factions springing up where it seems like if you're a solo act you're fighting as a disadvantage (see Darby Allin).

I see a ton of trio matches I'd love to see
Death Triangle
The Elite (pick your variation of Bucks + whoever)
Inner Circle (PnP + 1)
SCU
MJF + Butcher and Blade
Dark Order
Best Friends + OC
Hybrid 2 + Kip Sabian

A long form tournament culminating in crowning a champ at All Out 2 / Double of Nothing 2 would be rad as hell.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm guessing they're going to have a trios tournament either going into or coming out of Double or Nothing. There are too many trios teams for this not to be a thing.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
If AEW is adding a title, I'd love to see a trios title. I don't know much about non-US wrestling but is that a thing anywhere else? AEW has all these mini-factions springing up where it seems like if you're a solo act you're fighting as a disadvantage (see Darby Allin).

I see a ton of trio matches I'd love to see
Death Triangle
The Elite (pick your variation of Bucks + whoever)
Inner Circle (PnP + 1)
SCU
MJF + Butcher and Blade
Dark Order
Best Friends + OC
Hybrid 2 + Kip Sabian

A long form tournament culminating in crowning a champ at All Out 2 / Double of Nothing 2 would be rad as hell.
Stardom, NJPW, AAA, and CMLL all have trios championships. It's pretty common now.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

ESavB5GUcAQ5drD

ESavB5QU4AYlafn

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
If you're going to reserve a token spot for a woman, why would it NOT be your fucking champion? Especially when you have all other champs there. Does Britt Baker have drawing power? Do people go like "oh it's that dentist chick! We gotta go!"?

Fucking hell
Out of all the women that have appeared so far on Dynamite, Riho is confirmed the biggest ratings draw.