• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I mean, I've never really been on the mainstream trends so I guess. I dunno. I just started watching NJPW during this past G1 and I don't get it with Naito. He's in decent matches but I never feel like he's the guy that pushes to make them good but I can't deny his popularity. Bummer that plans have probably changed and I couldn't see him get beat for the title at Wrestle Dynasty this summer.

Ah I gotcha, I'm just so used to just mindless seething hate from wrestling fans. That's totally fair, not everyone works for everyone. Tranquilo after all. Now to rewatch WK 14 during my workout which idk why I'm even working out since this is 100% me handling my usual healthy diet during all of this home isolation ( damn you Costco cookies)

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I've never really been on the mainstream trends so I guess. I dunno. I just started watching NJPW during this past G1 and I don't get it with Naito. He's in decent matches but I never feel like he's the guy that pushes to make them good but I can't deny his popularity. Bummer that plans have probably changed and I couldn't see him get beat for the title at Wrestle Dynasty this summer.

To be fair, you're missing a huge part of the draw with him if you haven't tracked his character growth from the initial failed babyface push through his Mexican hyperbolic time chamber into a disrespectful bastard that evolved into this current fan favorite. He works a very patterned style though, so with his currently battered body he won't bust out anything super new to win people over, so in that I understand your position. But considering you're the vast minority, you might have to deal with him for a few more years.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

Can we not with the Shida thirst posting? (Or any of the women in AEW.) I appreciate a good looking woman as much as the next lesbian, but I'd rather we focus more on the women's division for their in-ring talent.

I say this as a member of the thread/community and not as a mod, just to be clear.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
To be fair, you're missing a huge part of the draw with him if you haven't tracked his character growth from the initial failed babyface push through his Mexican hyperbolic time chamber into a disrespectful bastard that evolved into this current fan favorite. He works a very patterned style though, so with his currently battered body he won't bust out anything super new to win people over, so in that I understand your position. But considering you're the vast minority, you might have to deal with him for a few more years.
It is what it is. I'm pretty disappointed that they rolled with the feud with Kenta so quickly as he's pretty much the biggest heel in the company right now. Hiromu would've put on a good match with him too. This whole thing is such a bummer...

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017

The Naito story and build up the last two years has been the best thing in wrestling period. The long-form storytelling is one part of why new Japan's the best wrestling company in the world. Naito is not the best wrestler but he's the most charismatic has an amazing mind for the business and is insanely over. Kenta interrupting him during wrestle kingdom instantly made him the biggest heel in the company if not in all of pro wrestling. There are so many great amazing stories they can tell with him as champ. He should easily hold that belt until next wrestle kingdom or the middle of next year.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I agree with all the Naito talk. I started watching NJPW with Wrestle Kingdom 11 and while even I didn't see Naito's full story while it happened, the dude absolutely deserved a big win. And this will most likely be his last big win for a while so why not let him enjoy it.

All these other bookers out there playing Checkers, and Gedo's out here playing 4D chess.

blackrogue13

Nov 21, 2018
Can we not with the Shida thirst posting? (Or any of the women in AEW.) I appreciate a good looking woman as much as the next lesbian, but I'd rather we focus more on the women's division for their in-ring talent.

I say this as a member of the thread/community and not as a mod, just to be clear.
I think Shida thirst is the only one allowed in this thread. Turns out she's amazing in and out the ring.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I honestly didn't realize how good Shida is. She's got amazing strength, similar to Statlander, which is partly why they make such a great tag team. That intro is so damn good too

Also, Shida playing final fantasy on piano definitely made my day a couple weeks back.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

We can certainly try.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
AEW should "shelf" their storylines and have some tournament right now. Let's get a trio tournament going with the winter getting the trios title. A singles tournament and the winner gets another ring. You can still push the story with these matches as well.

I just want to see some good wrestling.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kip and Penelope streamed Animal Crossing for hours last night. He made a Riho shirt.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
All of these trios really make it seem that we will get a trios tournament (even if there is not a belt).

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
All of these trios really make it seem that we will get a trios tournament (even if there is not a belt).
t r o p h i e s

wtl3-1481369305-800.png

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think AEW needs another male title that is not a "developmental title" (add here whatever thing you want like "under 30" or whatever stipulation to avoid it being totally midcard), and trios, even if they are cool, would clash with the already well stablished and amazing tag team part while stealing part of the time other parts would require (if it becomes a norm / something pretty stablished).

As a unique tournament, something every once in a while, It would be cool to have trios tournaments and then have them fight the tag team champions under free bird rules.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
7s9y1akoy8o41.jpg

Expect JAPANESE DEATHMATCH LEGEND DOCTOR LUTHER to appear in this match.

Also, probably Cody will bleed... Just a hunch.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Cody vs Havok? I guess the angle here is Cody wanting to further prepare himself for B&G. Hopefully they build this up a little in BTE or on Dark.

A tournament is a worse idea than trying to continue and build storylines right now. With the situation in flux, they can't reliably announce a bracket.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Cody vs Havok? I guess the angle here is Cody wanting to further prepare himself for B&G. Hopefully they build this up a little in BTE or on Dark.

A tournament is a worse idea than trying to continue and build storylines right now. With the situation in flux, they can't reliably announce a bracket.
I agree. A tournament now is definitely a way worse idea then them doing what they're currently doing. Especially with a limited roster and the possibility of it being postponed. I guess they could tape a full one but there are no stakes to it. I guess someone could win the "Showed up to work" trophy. Let's save the tournaments for when they make sense.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
What I imagine happening is Havoc goes over Cody, then wins a Deathmatch with Luther the next Dark if it wasn't already done last week. Havoc gets pushed to a top 5 position leading to a small fued with Moxley where he (Hopefully) gets ripped in two.

This will also push a "Cody is on a losing streak since MJF" storyline

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
What the women's division needs is a storyline with promos. The inring talent is there just hard to get invested.

Instead of just having big swole face nyla have some sort of storyline with promos. Women division needs more talking segments other than britt Baker.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What the women's division needs is a storyline with promos. The inring talent is there just hard to get invested.

Instead of just having big swole face nyla have some sort of storyline with promos. Women division needs more talking segments other than britt Baker.
I'm sure they were hoping to build things up but the world changes unfortunately. Don't expect much to happen now.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019

It seems like that's where the booking has been headed. Swole/Baker has already gotten some of that, though an actual match between them is likely on hold indefinitely because Swole is not going to be able to travel around in the current state. They're building a rivalry between Riho/Ford. Priestley got a new direction with the attack on Nyla after their match.

Unfortunately Covid is going to be interfering with a lot in the immediate future, but it seems to me that they were clearly setting up more angles for the women than they have been. I was very encouraged by that.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It seems like that's where the booking has been headed. Swole/Baker has already gotten some of that, though an actual match between them is likely on hold indefinitely because Swole is not going to be able to travel around in the current state. They're building a rivalry between Riho/Ford. Priestley got a new direction with the attack on Nyla after their match.

Unfortunately Covid is going to be interfering with a lot in the immediate future, but it seems to me that they were clearly setting up more angles for the women than they have been. I was very encouraged by that.
They also have this story going with a small alliance with Statlander and Shida too. Although Shida tried to pin Stat in the 4-way and she was surprised. See how long that lasts.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
I might be in the minority here but I hope they don't add a trios belt to the company. If I have one complaint about AEW is that they already do way to many tag matches. Id rather they add a upper middle card title. Make it the way the Intercontinental back in the day was. It was a stepping stone to move up to the heavyweight title. Make guys want the title because if you win it, it would put you in a position for the heavyweight title.
I feel that most people that don't like middle card titles is because Vince and WWE have ruined them over the years. They used to have a lot of meaning and were known as the workers titles. I just don't want to see weekly dynamite turn into 5 of the 6 matches be multi people matches.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I might be in the minority here but I hope they don't add a trios belt to the company. If I have one complaint about AEW is that they already do way to many tag matches. Id rather they add a upper middle card title. Make it the way the Intercontinental back in the day was. It was a stepping stone to move up to the heavyweight title. Make guys want the title because if you win it, it would put you in a position for the heavyweight title.
I feel that most people that don't like middle card titles is because Vince and WWE have ruined them over the years. They used to have a lot of meaning and were known as the workers titles. I just don't want to see weekly dynamite turn into 5 of the 6 matches be multi people matches.

I think they need a bigger roster first. Part of the point of the multi-person matches is to protect true singles and tag matches. With the current size of their roster, they'd run out of fresh match-ups really quickly if they didn't lean on multi-persons.

I've said before but I think the same rings true for a mid-card title right now. Based on W/L, the mid card holder is going to be one of the top ranked contenders for the world title, so it seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of having a mid card belt. They need like twice as many people in their divisions to start introducing mid-tier belts IMO.

Adding trios makes sense in that it's at least an entirely different division, plus they already run a lot of trios matches anyway.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
I think they need a bigger roster first. Part of the point of the multi-person matches is to protect true singles and tag matches. With the current size of their roster, they'd run out of fresh match-ups really quickly if they didn't lean on multi-persons.

I've said before but I think the same rings true for a mid-card title right now. Based on W/L, the mid card holder is going to be one of the top ranked contenders for the world title, so it seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of having a mid card belt. They need like twice as many people in their divisions to start introducing mid-tier belts IMO.

Adding trios makes sense in that it's at least an entirely different division, plus they already run a lot of trios matches anyway.
That's fair, I do think if they add a mid-tier title it's just one, we don't need a million different titles. I think world, future champ aka mid tier title, tag and I guess Trio would be enough.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to chip in on how amazing this week's Dynamite was.

Shida's new gear is fire! Also a great match!

HANGMAN IS A TREASURE AND I LOVE HIM.

Also reading this thread today was also a tonic. Thank you.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I just hope we get Lance Archer level vignettes for everybody. Doesn't have to be as long or in depth but I feel like it could go a long way to reintroduce everybody or those that don't see much tv time.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
I just hope we get Lance Archer level vignettes for everybody. Doesn't have to be as long or in depth but I feel like it could go a long way to reintroduce everybody or those that don't see much tv time.
With the need to have content in these uncertain times, and a lot of the roster not being available, getting some lesser developed characters to send in some promo footage would be great