• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just got home from the show, being as we drove all the way from Austin and back.

I've been to a number of live wrestling events, 90s WWF, more recent WWE, WCW, indie stuff... this was by far the best wrestling event I've been to live. Incredible atmosphere and crowd, great production, and fantastic wrestling. I'll give some actual thoughts in the morning after I get some sleep.

One thing I did want to mention, and I haven't read the thread to see if this bit of storytelling came across on TV, but they are definitely setting up Page vs Kenny. There were so many times during their match where Kenny was very frustrated by Page essentially stealing moments from him, and Kenny played them so well live.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Just got home from the show, being as we drove all the way from Austin and back.

I've been to a number of live wrestling events, 90s WWF, more recent WWE, WCW, indie stuff... this was by far the best wrestling event I've been to live. Incredible atmosphere and crowd, great production, and fantastic wrestling. I'll give some actual thoughts in the morning after I get some sleep.

One thing I did want to mention, and I haven't read the thread to see if this bit of storytelling came across on TV, but they are definitely setting up Page vs Kenny. There were so many times during their match where Kenny was very frustrated by Page essentially stealing moments from him, and Kenny played them so well live.
Glad you had a great time man. The atmosphere of the crowd really came through on TV. You definitely picked a great Dynamite to go to.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Kenny vs Page... fucking yes please. Then add PAC for a triple threat.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's hard to tell whether they're setting up Hangman to turn heel or not. His mannerisms in the match screamed turning heel. Until after the match when he was slapping hands with all the fans at ringside.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Maybe he wiped his ass first.
giphy.gif

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Watching tonight's episode after getting home from work and holy shit at Big Swole!!! Like super impressed. Like honestly that was the first women's match on Dynamite that I legit was not bored watching. Sakura was amazing too. Britt Baker and even Shida look bush league compared to Swole.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
The balls guy is not Sunny Daze. He's a local guy here and I've seen him in person a bunch to know for a fact -- that ain't him.

My guess was that it's Glacier with a shaved head. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
That "cowboy shit" promo has gotten Hangman over really nicely. Had he had that already in his feud with Jericho it would have been elevated to another level. It'll be almost sad when he turns heel soon because right now he is where he was supposed to be out of the gate.
No real complaints about last night's show. Production and variety were fine, I just don't think it had anything really memorable. So overall I thought it was good but not great but not every show can or has to be.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Please fire Jake Hager before his idiotic tweets get your company in the news for the wrong reasons.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Only half way through the show but the infographic on Adam Page's entrance damn near killed me.

Will do one of my big fancy schmancy reviews later but I gotta go vote first, win or lose, any time you get the chance to stick it to the tories you gotta take it.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Post Wrestling saying that QT Marshall getting some shine spots to look like an underdog babyface makes Butcher and the Blade look weak. That the match lost focus because of that.

I didn't get that out of that match at alllllll. They all looked strong. It was a fun match. Pretty crazy to see them over think this stuff because BBB came off very intriguing and like legit threats. And now I think QT rules! Not sure why matches can't accomplish more than one thing and they absolutely did here. The PIP losing the crowd reaction to QT taking a "bow" so to speak when Cody was giving him credit likely didn't help their perception but it was clear that all parts of that match had the crowd engaged.

Jake was right next to me at one point and I yelled, "YOUR POLITICS SUCK AND YOU'RE TERRIBLE ON TWITTER." :p
This is great. Love u 4ever for doing this.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Post Wrestling saying that QT Marshall getting some shine spots to look like an underdog babyface makes Butcher and the Blade look weak. That the match lost focus because of that.

I didn't get that out of that match at alllllll. They all looked strong. It was a fun match. Pretty crazy to see them over think this stuff because BBB came off very intriguing and like legit threats. And now I think QT rules! Not sure why matches can't accomplish more than one thing and they absolutely did here. The PIP losing the crowd reaction to QT taking a "bow" so to speak when Cody was giving him credit likely didn't help their perception but it was clear that all parts of that match had the crowd engaged.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. I thought QT played his role perfectly (the guy Cody got teamed with but ultimately couldn't hold his own), while The Butcher and The Blade came in and wrecked shop. I mean, of course Cody got a hot tag and decked them, but that's wrestling. Expecting anything else doesn't make sense, lol. It's not like The Butcher and The Blade were going to come in and pin Cody in under a minute.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
That was a GREAT hot tag too. Cody's big stomps really sold his desire to GET IN THERE.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Was just told that the capital A and S in that Hager tweet was a nod to Asperger's Syndrome. Is that a thing???

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
That was a damn good Dynamite. Even Brandi's segment was solid.
What's better is that it set up an amazing show next week and beyond.

Shame it's Corpus Christi next week, but hey maybe AEW can actually bring life to the corpses in Corpus.

Is Revolution going to be their Wrestlemania/Wrestle Kingdom? Commentary was putting it over as the biggest PPV yet.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
That was a damn good Dynamite. Even Brandi's segment was solid.
What's better is that it set up an amazing show next week and beyond.

Shame it's Corpus Christi next week, but hey maybe AEW can actually bring life to the corpses in Corpus.

Is Revolution going to be their Wrestlemania/Wrestle Kingdom? Commentary was putting it over as the biggest PPV yet.

I wondered the same thing, but I feel like it's got to be Double or Nothing, right? It's at MGM Grand and it's a huge spectacle. But I guess when you only do 4 PPVs a year, all of them are kind of a big deal.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I was reading an article last night that mentioned Evolution is more like Fyter Fest and not one of the main 4.

They could be wrong though.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I wondered the same thing, but I feel like it's got to be Double or Nothing, right? It's at MGM Grand and it's a huge spectacle. But I guess when you only do 4 PPVs a year, all of them are kind of a big deal.
Double or Nothing would be my guess but the way they worded it... maybe it's just carny hyperbole.

I was reading an article last night that mentioned Evolution is more like Fyter Fest and not one of the main 4.

They could be wrong though.
It doesn't seem to be like the smaller events, odd name and way of promoting it if it is.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like it's for a cause like Fight For The Fallen (forget what it was) though it seems like it won't be free like that even was.
I'd expect they are. They were hyping it up as the biggest thing ever, and they didn't do that with Fyter Fest or Fight for the Fallen.
Double or Nothing would be my guess but the way they worded it... maybe it's just carny hyperbole.

It doesn't seem to be like the smaller events, odd name and way of promoting it if it is.

Inaccurate dirtsheetz? How dare you all.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'm absolutely not someone in the know. I was just going purely on how they talked about it last night. I'm sure I'm wrong.

Probably not.

These are the same sources who just make articles to fill the void like Morrison signing a contract with WWE then AEW then WWE then AEW then finally WWE and there was never an AEW.

Content bb.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
That was another really fun show.

Didn't have any major technical issues watching via FITE, only thing I noticed was the sound on the MJF inset promo took a few seconds to cross over from the entrance music to MJF, that should've been done quicker but we heard

Opening with Mox quickly murdering HBK was a good way to go, instant crowd pleaser and the crowd stayed hot all the way to the end of the main event. Jericho and the Circle come out to face Mox and we get a nice serious Jericho promo where Jericho brings up his and Moxley's past experiences with each other, I'm glad they showed restraint here and Jericho didn't shoot on any of the dumb stuff WWE made them do. And it helped set up the first AEW show of next year. Good stuff all round.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Cody/B&B match, we all knew the result coming in, Cody wasn't gonna lose himself and B&B weren't gonna lose their first match either so the match really came down to QT Marshall. The guy is a nobody, people forgot that he's been on Dynamite before, but he impressed early on and got "Cody's partner" chants lol. He has played a heel previously in AEW but here he was a face and fans bought into him the longer the match went on and popped big for a dive to the outside. B&B rightly won, QT rightly takes the fall, Cody is distraught but Darby Allin comes out to pick Cody up and tell him he still has allies.

That was followed up by giving MJF a live mic and he really took advantage of his opportunity and showed what an incredible little asshole he truly is. Mocking the fans. Got some tech crew up to kiss his ring and then mocked Cody's lisp. MJF was great here and on January 1, he will announce the stipulations he wants in his eventual match with Cody.

A new Dark Order promo featuring HBK in a hotel room and the Join Dark Order advert is on TV and it speaks directly to HBK asking him if he's fed up of being a jobber. Short and sweet. Dark Order is now officially teasing actual wrestlers joining them now. The new logo is great.

Really enjoyed Swole/Sakura, I think it got 10 mins or so? I was never bored. This was another showpiece match up for a new AEW signing and much like Statlander, Swole really impressed, particularly with her personality and charisma. Swole going James Brown on Emi's Freddy was a fun moment.

Omega/Page vs Sabian/Spears was a fun match with clear Page heel turn foreshadowing.

I loved Hangman's entrance infographic "Drank a bottle of whisky home alone last week". That had me rolling for a good min.

This crowd was really into Page, from the second his music popped, even got a standing ovation for one sequence he had with Spears and Sabian. Penelope Ford got moments to shine attacking the faces while the ref was distracted (don't go overboard and book her in a 1 on 1 match AEW please). Everyone looked at least good here, even Spears.

Only thing I didn't like about the match was Janela's angle with Tully. No problem with Janela going after Tully, even if it did come across as kind of a heel move, but it was the lights going out to do the angle. AEW are using the lights going out too much. I guess it was supposed to be Joey using Spears entrance against Spears but at the time it didn't feel that way and the crowd didn't react to it either so I think you can only consider this angle a fail really.

A Brandi Rhodes promo followed that up and there sure was some shooting on particular members of the women's division involved here (minus Stat) but did it help? Eh. She teased a new member, a bald male but she hid his face, was it a fully shaved head Havoc? I couldn't tell.

At some point during the show they announce that Riho will defend the title on January 1. Good to have her back. Also announced for next week that Britt and Stat will fight to be #1 contender. Two issues with this. Britt lost her last shot and hasn't done much since. And why isn't Shida in the match? At least make it a triple threat. Shida loses one match to Stat and that's it? Out of the title picture? Bollocks decision.

Luchasaurus and Sammy had a match. Sammy jumped and bumped a lot. Luchasaurus got the win. It wasn't a squash but the result felt inevitable. Jericho was on commentary putting over Jurassic Express even though he doesn't like them. Good. If you call a guy a loser and then you beat him then you've only beaten a loser and it means nothing. Loved Jungle Boy unofficially pinning Jericho in the brawl and then offscreen Jericho interrupting the announcers to confirm it was unofficial.

Oh look AEW is running a show in Chicago, bet they regret that now after that crowd reception two weeks ago.

Main event time and, while it wasn't as nasty as Mox/Omega or the CBC, it was a fun street fight. Loved the helmet spot and the visual of the garbage can bending with Nick inside as PnP pummel the sides of it. Favorite moment of the match was Nick apologising to Aubrey for pulling her out of the ring to break up the 3 count.

Really fun show that set up a whole bunch of stuff for shows for the immediate and long term future. Can't complain.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently Emi Sakura may have been sick and was throwing up during her match with Big Swole.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm noticing recently these two guys get way too worked up about things like this. They hated Hikaru Shida losing to Statlander last week, claiming it made her look weak after building her up, and not recognizing that the only thing it did was elevate Statlander because it was portrayed as an upset by commentary.

I think they're both just scarred from watching too much WWE.

Status
Not open for further replies.