• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2017
Speaking of Darby, this was published in the observer this week.

I just wanted to note this letter that I got after the Allin angle with Jericho, which is actually a letter I got three years ago, but was sent again because it's more timely now. "Now, this isn't new or anything, but I want to just highlight a couple of points because there's a lot of folks who don't understand the turmoil and garbage that Darby had gone through in the business to get where he's at today. I went into wrestling at 29, which was just a side thing for me. The first day I went in, we were doing drills, and I saw Darby perform them, and my mouth dropped, everything was smooth, fluid, perfect. I have matches and drills on micro VHSs somewhere from the garage where you can see him do some of the most smoothest old school, catch/chain British style wrestling you've ever seen. Yes, he's been pushed into a slight corner where he does some extra crazy stuff because that's his nature, he handles pain well; however, it wasn't always like that. He went to a number of legends wrestling camps, ROH tryouts, and various other seminars - all those older guys, they all told him the same fucking thing to his face: "You're too small, you're not going to get any where in the business, it doesn't matter if you're good in the ring, you won't draw". I would be a fly on the wall as he would constantly get piss taken out of him by the 'you're too small' talk in the garage, `You're great but you won't be anything' talks. It killed Darby... just fucking killed him - he's so dedicated to this business. Luckily... Gabe (Sapolsky) saw something in him, but in order for him to differentiate himself he had to go back to his skateboarder roots of just hurting himself through stunts or something crazy. I mean, he's nuts, but he's not stupid. Darby is an incredibly nice person; more over, he's an incredible wrestler, his selling is top notch, and when we were in a Negro Navarro wrestling camp, Navarro always wanted to work with him. Darby would help me, and even though I was the older dude with a full time job, he would help me work through so many athletic feats. I look up to him, and even today, despite being retired, he's the one person in the ring that I would trust with my life. Anyway, my point to all this is that I hope folks can see that underneath his crazy ass stunts that he's incredibly talented. And, it's this old school mentality that pushes these young guys to do some of this crazy shit. I'm worried about him, but I'm hoping AEW gives him the opportunity to be able to show off that other side of him that most people don't realize that's there - because it's really good."

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I think Darby has a cooler look than Havoc (after he takes off his mask and looks like a scene grandpa).
I haven't seen enough of Havoc to have a real opinion, but this is all I had in my mind the whole time I saw him.

5824ac0ed836c.image.jpg

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to see an angle where a cocky heel just shits on Darby and calls him a deathmatch monkey, and come matchtime Darby just William Regals the guy. It'd be a great coming out showing for his skillset too.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to buy tickets for the Dallas event, seems like the site crashed

Oct 27, 2017

Philadelphia Street Fight

Chris Jericho is one of the best ever at delivering promos. He promotes the heck out of the match and Darby while sounding likes he's just naturally chatting away like an obnoxious heel.

He did the same with Page - on the surface it seemed like he was doing the usual heel stuff but reading between the lines he was always making Hangman sound like a real threat and making the match sound unmissable.

On top of that his word delivery is near flawless, he sells his character well through intonation and his catchphrases and one-liners are brilliant. AEW are so lucky to have him.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now it's telling me tickets are not on sale. Tickets were supposed to go on sell a couple of minutes ago :/

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Yooo Painmaker - Philadelphia Street Fight.

I cannot wait. I'm literally counting the days.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they have a legit $900 ticket level or are those from resellers dumb enough to think they will sell?

If they come to Toronto I wouldn't mind getting a VIP setup but I don't think they will be more than $250 - $300.
This was straight from the official ticket site. It's kind of a strange spot to have that ticket price too. It's on the side of the ring next to the entrance ramp. All other tickets max out at $90

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen Jericho in a garbage/street fight match. Did he have one against Punk? Chicago street fight maybe?

Anyway, looking forward to it, though hope Darby doesn't have to do anything TOO nuts.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Jericho bringing out the Painmaker is interesting from a kayfabe perspective. He's that worried about Darby, huh?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Love Darby's coffin drop finisher, first time I've seen him hit a human and not a ring apron lol

It looks great but it's a little too close to a diving headbutt for my taste. I've only been made aware of him through AEW but since he's started in AEW I would say that the Coffin Drop is the only really dangerous move I can remember seeing him do. I feel like you could do that move in a safer way than what he's been doing and still have it look good. I think he's been great so far but seeing that he's a great old school wrestler makes me want to see him out wrestle Chris Jericho.
I don't think I've ever seen Jericho in a garbage/street fight match. Did he have one against Punk? Chicago street fight maybe?

Anyway, looking forward to it, though hope Darby doesn't have to do anything TOO nuts.

I guess it depends on what you want to define as a street fight as he was definitely in a few hardcore matches in WWE. For some reason Jericho vs Rhyno comes to mind but I don't even remember if that match was actually any good or not.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'm gonna hold off on buying some of the higher up seats for now and hope they open up some more floor seats later. I'm really surprised they are running this arena because it's pretty small over all.

I'm driving up from Austin for this, but my guess is that in terms of arenas in Texas, you don't have much middle ground between "not-too-large" and "fucking Texas gigantic."

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Dang, if that 14 million number is legit then they must be doing gangbusters on streaming.

I'm assuming this is worldwide, includes replays, DVR, etc. No way in hell it's an accurate figure though. I'm sure there are fans who watch an episode on TNT and start watching part or all of the replay too. Wonder if they count those as separate viewers.

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like a running record of viewers. It was 7 million last week and maybe they added another 7 for this week. If it was just 14 million for this week, there should be more shouting from the rooftops about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.