• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the most beautiful of the current gen systems? (You can vote for up to 2 options)

• PS5

Votes: 203 10.0%
  • PS5DE

Votes: 253 12.5%
  • Xbox Series S

Votes: 804 39.6%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 711 35.1%
  • Switch (base model)

Votes: 76 3.7%
  • Switch Lite

Votes: 78 3.8%
  • Switch OLED

Votes: 415 20.5%

• Total voters

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
None of them are "beautiful". They are all consumer electronic boxes. The fact that the poll has the most boring box version the winner is odd. I'm so glad era isn't the deciding factor in console design. Always choosing the most boring/retro looking crap.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Series S is the only one that I think looks pretty good, and I love its size.

I also think the Series X > PS5 DE > PS5 Disc but I wouldn't say any of them are aesthetically pleasing, I just prefer the way the Series X fit in all that tech, and for PS5s, prefer the symmetry of the DE

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about "beautiful", but in terms of aesthetically pleasant, It's between Series S and Switch OLED for me.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Easily the Switch OLED. The bigger screen really balances it out and completes the look, compared to the base model.

XSS/X are far too safe. I've skinned my XSX, so dull it is to look at. Not sure what Sony were smoking when they designed the PS5.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 digital edition is the only one I would describe as beautiful, which doesn't mean it's my favorite or the best-looking. It's just simply beautiful.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
I actually prefer the way the Series X looks over the Series S. Think the X is beautiful in its industrial simplicity. The S looks like a speaker lol.

The PS5 looks cheaper and cheaper the more I see it. It just looks like a low budget router…no idea what Sony were thinking when they designed it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Digital ps5. Love the look of it...but I don't own it because I'm not a psycho/rich. I have the disc edition.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
None of them are all that amazing, but the PS5 DE is by far the most "beautiful," especially with different plates. Would have been the one I went with if Sony offered an external Blu-Ray drive.

lol at the results though. The Series S is a desktop speaker and the Series X is a literal black box that looks like some kind of minimalist AV receiver when used horizontally. Both are really safe, functional designs that look fine. That's about it though.

The Switch Lite deserves more love too. As a dedicated handheld, it looks and feels great, and the colors are fun. It's way more cohesive than the full-sized Switch.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the X for being a plain looking thing that doesn't draw attention but series S is my favorite design of all the current consoles in the poll

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Here's how I have mine set up:

51801145107_ccc59f9deb_k.jpg

All black is cool. This just reminds me that the PS5 doesn't fit in my cabinet. Our living room/game area is a very simple Black/Gray/White setup. The Series X literally disappears in my setup. Which is what I want from hardware. You don't even notice it, and it fits / blends into the cabinet and our small entertainment area perfectly. The PS5's size literally eliminates it from our daily entertainment spot. My PS4 Slim hung out in our bedroom instead too, and It was much cleaner looking.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I wouldn't describe white or black rectangles as beautiful so, that only leaves the PlayStation 5, and the digital version is clearly superior, so that.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Having just acquired a Digital PS5, I think it looks very pretty, but it doesn't look good in my living room at all. Need to get some black plates to try and incorporate the buggar. I probably prefer the aesthetic of the XBX. It's boring, but I don't need my console to be an art piece.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
The Series consoles are a step back from the One X IMO. Literally just rectangular objects with holes on one panel.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
None of them are "beautiful". They are all consumer electronic boxes. The fact that the poll has the most boring box version the winner is odd. I'm so glad era isn't the deciding factor in console design. Always choosing the most boring/retro looking crap.
Gotta agree there but can't really argue with any opinion in here as it's a matter of personal taste.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally like the Series X, but I can admire the Series S for being cute and packing a punch for it's size. Only thing I don't like about the X and S is the proprietary storage. Thankful that Sony allows you to install a standard 2280 NVME drive.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I like the X for being a plain looking thing that doesn't draw attention but series S is my favorite design of all the current consoles in the poll

I hate the way my PS5 looks in my setup. The Series X looks so much better in my opinion, I have the Halo console too I like it more than the plain black one (though the stock one looks good too). Both consoles are ugly as sin on their sides though.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Series S > Switch OLED > Series X

The PS5 has grown on me since launch but it still looks stupid as hell.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think the PS5 is extra shocking to me, because it came on the heals of the best looking console ever.

The PS4 Pro Anniversary edition with that killer dark blue and gold.
61oHPPd9ZbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
The Ps5 is way too large and looks really silly. I definitely don't want one until we get a slim/smaller version, with a simpler look.

I voted for Series X but I think the S also looks good. I like their simplicity.

Also for what it's worth I think the Switch Lite looks great, as well.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
PS5's default white color looks bad, but it actually looks decent as a whole with a black cover. Don't know if that counts though, since it's not out-of-the-box appearance.

Default-wise, probably Xbox Series X looks best.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Series S is amazing, if we ever get the series x power or more into that package im gonna be a happy camper

Series X number 2 for, my goodness if I could get my personal pc spec (we're so close) in this for factor I'd do it in a heartbeat

Eddie Bax

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
Voted for Series S in that, just by being mostly white, it's probably the most striking of a fairly bland/ugly generation without going over the top like the PS5, although I wouldn't call it "beautiful." I do also appreciate the Series X's form factor the most though, in that its size and shape make it easy (at least in my setup) to tuck away behind the TV.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think the PS5 is extra shocking to me, because it came on the heals of the best looking console ever.

The PS4 Pro Anniversary edition with that killer dark blue and gold.
61oHPPd9ZbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Gorgeous.

I bought the controller because I absolutely didn't need another PS4! It's beautiful though.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
You would be right, but on this particular generation, Im actually waiting for a good looking PS5 before buying it.

And I want a lot of the exclusives, I have been a Sony-Nintendo-Xbox person all of my life, and until THIS generation I decided to wait on the Sony portion.

This decision is 100% because I dislike how it looks. I refuse to purchase such an ugly "look at me" design.

The fact that GOW 2 and the FFVII sequels are still a bit away make the wait a lot easier, as I get most of the other content on PC or Gamepass.

Loll. I should have said most people there. I don't like how it looks either so I'm not going to knock you for it. I think it being huge is the worst part for me. If you have a PC though, there is very little reason to buy either an SX and a PS5.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
I have a PS5 and it just looks so big and ugly.... doesn't even look sleek. The PS4 was so beautiful.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Series X for me.

I think the console would achieve perfection if it took on the two-tone robot white and black accenting theme of the Series S, but I tend to favor white coloring for electronics due to my furniture layout so I know that's just me. As it is, in black it still looks very good, and I love that current-gen spec and bespoke cooling engineering (that even since launch has remained super quiet) is all crammed into that kind of form factor.

For the record, I actually do like the PS5 aesthetic oddly enough, just not quite as much as I appreciate how the system comes together like the Series X does. PS5 feels like it had to go for size and cost effectiveness for the spec and they kinda thought of the aesthetic curviness after the fact (i.e. thought process "Well it HAS TO BE this size by default given the spec, let's make sure we can manage it all effectively and then we'll make the outer layers of it look stylish somehow"). Xbox Series X may give the impression of looking basic but it felt like they went with design and aesthetic all at once. I don't know if this is actually how each was engineered in design, that's just the impression I get.

May 14, 2021
The PS5 stands (stupidly tall) as a reminder that different doesn't mean better.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the PS5 at my mates yesterday. It's grotesque, bulbous and unwieldy. Series X and especially Series S are elegant pieces of kit. Switch is nice too for a handheld.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Series S should be winning by more.

I think for me I think the PS5 (digital) is number 2. I think aesthetically it is pleasing except for the size. At least it has some style to it and isn't just a block/rectangle.

All of the systems except Series S though did a big middle finger to traditional entertainment consoles. They often don't fit or barely fit at all. Also, the Switch should take more heat for only having the top-loading docking station. That is a problem for many set-ups. I know I've had to remove shelving and put a small bookcase next to the tv console to make it work where I'm not blocking the TV.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be the PS5 (especially DE) without the "collar", even if I don't mind it.

All other devices, while may look traditionally good are still uninspired in my eyes.

Oct 29, 2017
On the outside probably the Series s, but internally it is the Series X without question.

Funny how the most plain looking one of the bunch has by far the most interesting internal layout and use of space, apple-like except they didn't go the extra mile with all black pcb.

However the less optimized and just kind of boring use of internal space of the PS5 means that that there is a lot of room for making a fantastic slim version.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
It can only be the PS5 by default. They're the only hardware that tried this time around…ironically evocative of the original Xbox 360 model in a way.

SinOfHeart

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I really like how the Switch Lite looks, I wouldn't ever buy one since I basically only use the Switch docked, but the design of that console is really nice.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Gotta agree there but can't really argue with any opinion in here as it's a matter of personal taste.
Yeah I get it, opinions and all. It's all good. But I still think its basic as hell to choose the black or white box as the best. Literally the most boring and basic of any possible consumer electronic design.
The PS5 stands (stupidly tall) as a reminder that different doesn't mean better.
I'll take the PS5 (I've got it on it's side) over the most boring design possible any day. But it's all opinions. It's also a device that sits in my center, almost untouched for years other than dusting it. So it really doesn't matter as long as it plays my games.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but honestly speaking, not only do I think the PS5 isn't a good looking console, I think it's the worst-looking Playstation that Sony has ever made. I'd put the "fat Spiderman" PS3 above it.