• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing and it's nice hearing a fast tempo version. This is also the best arrangement by far. The vocals are gorgeous and completely enhance the track.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
At least for me, it feels a little off with the more upbeat/"Smash" stage structure to it, given its typically slower/melodic nature. But its a really good composition nonetheless that translates an otherwise tragic piece to something you can kick Mario's ass to.

Also, really cool seeing some Advent Children tracks in there. The extended "Those Who Fight Further" track is a great pick for Smash.

I really love what they did with the Main Theme though.

My only big issue is them using the original J-E-N-O-V-A. There's so many better remixes!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The fact that Smash actually has Final Fantasy remixes is still blowing my mind

The Bombing Mission one didn't do much for me, it's just the same song, but a little different but the other three are all amazing. Cosmo Canyon slaps.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
That's a killer theme for Sephiroth.

1ROf4ouUzdpnZUnQ92B1O6jxQXWl03W28K1KFDVfu0mRzbFNe_8IBpr-9rroYD-52RD-thvkEjA-lDPLmcaIobZ4jdoKH_NnssS4GwwmXYL42f_Ccn0wbZLCyQHHxA

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
At least for me, it feels a little off with the more upbeat/"Smash" stage structure to it, given its typically slower/melodic nature. But its a really good composition nonetheless that translates an otherwise tragic piece to something you can kick Mario's ass to.

Also, really cool seeing some Advent Children tracks in there. The extended "Those Who Fight Further" track is a great pick for Smash.

I really love what they did with the Main Theme though.

Man, that's got a real Elfman vibe in places. As someone who's not a fan of VII but enjoys the soundtrack, I'm loving this.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was the weakest of the new remixes. It's fine but not particularly remarkable. I'd say the same for the other FF remixes Okabe has done for FF14 as well.

mookie1515

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I got my dream with XIV team and Sokken doing FFXVI, so the next dream will be Okabe and Taro doing FFXVII. Make it happen!

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's good and totally fine for a party game, but it doesn't resonate with me as strongly as her theme usually does.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, not into the remixed versions. I need to try and play Nier Automata again. Keep hearing the words "godly" and "masterful" thrown around in regards to the ost and game in general.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds a bit like Fire Emblem music.

It's pretty good, man now I want Nier Autotmata music in...

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I like aspects of it, but a bit overwrought, particularly with the vocals as mentioned. Not as much a fan as many of you.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
Is this new? And is it available in the game right now? I feel like playing this smash game after hearing this track.(And SQ need to use this somehow in the remake!)

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
It really just ruins the simplicity of the original. Not every song needs an overwhelming choir backing which is where automata lost me a bit in it's music too. The Cosmo Canyon remix on the other hand is amazing

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I know everyone loves to worship Okabe but the Cosmo Canyon remix is way better.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I wanted him to remix One Winged Angel with Nier vocals

But this is amazing on its own, Okabe is a top ten composer in my eyes

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
There is the irony that out of all the songs that got remixes, one winged Angel didnt

Oct 27, 2017
He's the/a Tekken composer first, for me. Though hearing about the work in Nier has always made want to check it/them out.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. It's okay, but I feel that it's too upbeat and bombastic for Aerith's Theme. The choir is overkill. Can't exactly say they had to make it more upbeat for Smash because they put stuff like Midna's Lament in.

Cosmo Canyon is better, imo, but the tempo is too fast. If you set playback speed to .75 on youtube it sounds perfect.

Yeah, it finally made the track worthwhile. I will never understand Uematsu/Square's obsession with Cosmo Canyon.
Cosmo Canyon is like the best town theme in FF7

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This is just OK. Way too bombastic and upbeat. It's a remix though so fair game.

Yoko continues to show why she's rhe GOAT with that Cosmo Canyon remix, though

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It's a really good remix especially in the context that it was done for, in a fighting game. Of course it's going to sound more upbeat, fast, and dramatic, you're going to have characters fighting while it plays. Same reason why the Cosmo Canyon remix is faster.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
It's good but suffers from the same issue all the remixes for FFVII suffer from. It's too fast. I dunno why all the remixes had to speed up the tempo. It wasn't necessary.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I would have preferred a BKO style arrangement. But I do like it.

I dunno. It's okay, but I feel that it's too upbeat and bombastic for Aerith's Theme. The choir is overkill. Can't exactly say they had to make it more upbeat for Smash because they put stuff like Midna's Lament in.

Upbeat Aerith's themes are good.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
It's good, but the best rendintion of the Aerith theme is the one from the FFVII Remake when you walk with across the church rooftops.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's good but suffers from the same issue all the remixes for FFVII suffer from. It's too fast. I dunno why all the remixes had to speed up the tempo. It wasn't necessary.
That's basically the direction every new remix to Ultimate has taken. To match with the faster pace of the game, the music direction in general became more "battle-oriented".

Heck, a not insignificant number of new remixes are just more intense, up-tempo'd versions of previous songs Smash already had, like Fourside.

Melee:

Ultimate:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The new Aerith theme is good, but I turned it off for the stage. I don't think it's fitting to Smash to.