• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Whether it's a shmup, 3D Flight Sim, Fighting game, Character Action title or whatever genre you may have in mind, share with us the game(s) that made you feel like a badass doing air to air combat, juggles/anti air manoeuvres or even when you rained down justice from above in air to ground scenarios on unsuspecting foes (or better still, on foes that knew what was coming but couldn't do shit).

pharah-missiles-damage-overwatch

The beautiful thing about Pharah in Overwatch or Soldier in TF2 is the ability to do all three of the things I mentioned above: air to air, juggles/anti air AND air to ground. The reason why I chose to highlight Pharah over Soldier is because of her ability to always be in flight so there are more opportunities for air to air combat especially when there's a Pharah on the enemy team. I love going solo against a Pharmercy combo and trying to take them down. I don't think I succeed all that often lmao but it's always a thrilling endeavour. Shoutouts to the Mercys who every so often are dumb enough to pocket my weak ass Pharah lol. Also a shoutout to how wonderful it feels to land an airshot with Junkrat; that moment when you realize your aim trajectory is on point; hoo boy!

And I have to give a special mention to TF2 airshots, which are still the best looking airshots in any game:

Last edited:

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Nice that you make an entire Thread to ask me personally.
I'd say DMC is my fave. But Bayonetta 1 has amazing combat as well.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ace Combat series and Zone of The Enders 2.
Also love to fight in the air in Dragon Ball games.

Edit: Omega Boost and Star Fox are always nice too.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Ace Combat 7 deserves to hijack this thread. It feels so visceral in comparison to both previous entires and other arcade flight sims. Never thought they could make the original gamepaly feel so similar yet so much better. A true generational leap for the saga, and makes the previous titles feel "static" in comparison.

Kind of when you played racing games with more active AI, and went back to the likes of GT3 and old Ridge Racers to see cars always following the exact same line.

This is now an Ace Combat Thread.
5f24657228fdb.jpeg

Nov 21, 2017
Another vote for Ace Combat, but I would also add what essentially is an "indie Ace Combat fangame": Project Wingman.

store.steampowered.com

Save 50% on Project Wingman on Steam

Project Wingman is a flight action game that lets you take the seat of advanced fighter jets and become a true ace. Fight in various missions and gamemodes ranging from intense aerial dogfights to large scale ground assault in an alternate scorched earth setting.

It's basically Ace Combat. With VR support. Developed by basically 3 people (main dev/artist, main producer/writer, and 1 musician). It's got the crazy anime story, the arcade planes with 100s of missiles, the soundtrack that's just *chefs' kiss*, and the ability to turn around on a dime and pump enemies full of LEAD.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 2/ Final Mix : There is a flow and movement to Sora when attacking in the air that just feels great, add in Drive Forms and it can take it to a whole new level.

Not super complex by any means, but still great overall.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Helicopters in Battlefield are so fun once you get good, just taking uncoordinated teams to task, or in BC2s case everything, cause those fuckers are busted.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
In Avalon Code you can juggle enemies in a way that you sort of bounce them up just before they hit the ground and then they go higher. You can do this to the point where they go to outer space lol

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Namedropping DMC5 in a thread like this without a combo video should be a bannable offense.

For your Nero "WHAT" fix:

nico.ms

DMC5:Combo collaboration——《Back to the 3.8》

DMC5:Combo collaboration——《Back to the 3.8》 [ゲーム] DMC5の合作コンボMADになります!DMC界隈に入って間もない私を誘っていただいたPlayerBDさん、並び...

For everything else:

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of fun with War Thunder and IL2-Sturmovik.

Nowadays I prefer WW2 airplanes over modern ones, but if I have to play modern I'd choose something like DCS World. I used to really like F-22 Lighting 3 as a kid though.

I tried giving Ace Combat and H.A.W.X a shot but I think arcade flight games aren't for me. I do enjoy their presentation though.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ace Combat is the one, especially on expert controls.

Another one if it counts is Elite Dangerous, the dog fighting in that game is intense.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Devil May Cry is one of those games where you can tell the difference between a novice and an expert from their fight style.

They'll move in ways you'll never thought possible- like flying all the time lol

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Also gonna say AC and add:

Zone of the Enders 2, game has my favorite villainous mech, Anubis!
ZoE-2nd-Runner-MARS_09-20-17.jpg

Also Also!

How could we not mention the Vs. series
jill-mvc2-basic-air-combo.gif