• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
This is what happens when tyrants stay in charge for too long and have nobody to keep them in line, fuck Putin.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
N. Korea attacked S. Korea, N. Vietnam attacked S. Vietnam, Iraq attacked Kuwait, Afghanistan harbored terrorists but yeah the US was the destabilizing force.
no, vietnam was supposed to have an election after the french withdraw and the U.S. came in and installed their own puppet to fuck shit up. Even before that the U.S was footing the French bill in the fight in the North

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I mentioned this in the last thread. Russia cannot afford to be like US/NATO when it comes to advance weapons. You are going to instead see more indiscriminate, high explosive artillery barrages followed by armor. They also have thermobaric weapons as well that are just pure terror weapons.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah maybe we should have ways of vetting before posting social media posts.
For the time being, I'm not really going by anything that isn't being picked up and confirmed by news orgs. That's still susceptible to error, but there's at least some rigor there in trying to source or confirm the information.

It's like after a mass shooting a ton of dubious stuff is being posted
And very much worse because this is a proverbial active shooter scenario across vast stretches of territory and hundreds of thousands of combatants mixed alongside millions of innocent people.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
N. Korea attacked S. Korea, N. Vietnam attacked S. Vietnam, Iraq attacked Kuwait, Afghanistan harbored terrorists but yeah the US was the destabilizing force.

1. Never thought I'd hear a defense for the Vietnam War. Ooof.

2. I said this century, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya. Tell me, who did Iraq attack that justified the 2003 invasion? And tell me how it brought peace to the region?

Oct 25, 2017

Not trying to go off topic anymore, but not saying the US should attack or start war with Russia. I'm saying they should have stationed in Ukraine and therefore prevented it. I think the WW3 fearmongering cannot dictate every foreign policy decision in the nuclear weapon age. It doesn't affect the NATO countries commitment to defend against even a nuclear power and there's no reason why a signed document needed to prevent it here.
Great thread derailment my friend

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mentioned this in the last thread. Russia cannot afford to be like US/NATO when it comes to advance weapons. You are going to instead see more indiscriminate, high explosive artillery barrages followed by armor. They also have thermobaric weapons as well that are just pure terror weapons.

It took the coalition 2.5 weeks to take Baghdad. Ukraine is going to be more of a threat than Iraq, I'd imagine, and Russia not nearly as capable. So I would bet on something very bloody and protracted, as Russia tries attrition via air supremacy.

Oct 25, 2017
All these months I've been anticipating it happening but it's still surreal to see Putin actually go through with it.

This feels like a major crossroads for Europe, either the EU is united now or will never be. I just hope the cost of this is insurmountable for Putin.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Is it too much to ask users to not post memes, gifs or reaction images in this thread?

Not at all. This is going to be a horrific event. I also don't think we need to constantly signal boost awful people's takes in here either. We don't need reminders that Fox News suck in this thread.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm shaking just thinking about the people over there... Hoping to hear today from leaders of the world standing up to this with real actions to stop this as soon as possible. Probably wishful thinking, but I can only pray and hope.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
I also think when Zelenskyy more or less shut the door on any type of diplomatic solution with Russia last year and signaled that they would continue to be hostile and did this, Putin took it personal. Might even be why we are seeing the "Z" painted on vehicles.

Quoting my own post from the other thread-

This is a fucking weak ass casus belli

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It took the coalition 2.5 weeks to take Baghdad. Ukraine is going to be more of a threat than Iraq, I'd imagine, and Russia not nearly as capable. So I would bet on something very bloody and protracted, as Russia tries attrition via air supremacy.
I agree that the Iraq War comparison is apt which makes this invasion all the more baffling. There is no way Russia comes out of this not completely crippled.

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
Still have a bunch of family over in Mykolaiv. They woke in to their local military airport being bombed and to the bombing of nearby Odessa

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Fuck, can't believe I'm actually reading this Was really hoping it would stay in Donbas. Shit

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017

Without large stockpiles of precision munitions, this is ineffective in urban fighting. As I've hit a few times, if Ukraine planned well (and they have experience from 2014 doing this), they will dig in around urban centers. Elsewhere, they'll concentrate on ambushes and fortified positions not cleared by fires.

It just will be a huge sacrifice on Ukraine to basically sacrifice their cities to have a chance of making Russia withdraw under excessive casualties.

Guidelines for the thread. CHECK YOUR SOURCES

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This situation is fast moving and highly charged. In order to try and prevent things from becoming more heated than they need to be, the following rules will be strictly enforced from here on out:

There is to be no fearmongering about things like WW3. If there is a legitimate worry, then you should be able to provide a source that shows things are moving in that direction.
There is a difference between advocating for the world at large to do better by the Ukrainian people and warmongering. If you cross it, you will be banned.
Any trolling, of any kind, will be severely punished
Any racism or Xenophobia will receive stricter bans than usual
ALL SOURCES MUST BE CHECKED BEFORE POSTING, DO NOT POST ANY FAKE LINKS OR NEWS. Please be sure to wait for confirmation from trustworthy news sources before sharing anything new.

Violating any of these guidelines will be met with no less than a 1 month ban from the site. These rules will hold for all threads on this conflict until further notice.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Fearmongering, Ignoring Staff Post Guidelines
Sounds more and more like world war

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I wish it was just on the right. The fucking DSA was doing propaganda for them.
The DSA? What is going on?
In terms of ideological solidarity, the right-wing Putin supporters are the least confused ones! People find it convenient to say Putin wants the "Soviet Union back", which is true in a sense (he wants a larger Russian empire) but deliberately misleading, implying that Putin is a communist.
I don't see anyone talking about communism outside of China anymore. I was referring to how many of the boomer generation should remember the imminent and unceasing threat of nuclear war with an antagonistic power. Whether it's communism or capitalistic is unimportant. The major corporations are in bed with the government either way.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is insane I took my eyes off the situation just long enough to play a little bit of Destiny and talk to one of my best friends and everything seems to gone to shit in just the 2 hours that I stepped away.

Do we have any direct confirmations from a concrete source that Kiev itself is being hit?