• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of you have probably seen myriad threads by me about my anxiety and issues with work. Well, I am finally entertaining the idea that maybe this job isn't for me, and it's time to start looking for something else.

This is my first job out of college, so I am admittedly very nervous and terrified about leaving. August of this year will be my two-year mark, and the thought of leaving before I get two years of experience is terrifying as well. I would love any advice on interviewing and searching for jobs while still employed. I am 23 and live alone, in a moderately sized city (about 600,000 population), so I would think I have options.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Indeed.com is a great resource for job hunting.
Many employers look at social media for potential candidates, so make sure yours is nice and clean.
Try to make your resume one page. Highlights. Don't go too in depth.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
What kind of job do you have now? If it's the kind where you can't leave for a couple hours without a fuss then you should try to bank some PTO so you can be "sick" or "have a doctors appointment" when you have an interview

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned already, Indeed is a good place to look. What's your educational/career background in? There are specific recruiting companies like Robert Half that help you look for jobs depending on your career field. Also, 2 years experience is a good amount for anybody in any field, don't let anybody tell you different.

kaf

Technical Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Don't leave your job unless you have an offer letter that you've signed elsewhere.

It can take over 3 months to find another job (if you work in a somewhat competitive field that tends to always be looking) - so if you don't have anything lined up, make sure you have enough money to last for double that time.

>> I would love any advice on interviewing and searching for jobs while still employed.

Make sure you keep things organized - so you can request time off to attend on-sites. Also make sure you handle any phone calls in a private area.

A common question you may be run into during the interview process is why you want to leave your current job. You can be honest, but also spin it into something about career growth or a positive.

I've reviewed tons of resumes in the past - I'd say one way to set yourself apart from other candidates is to think of what's 'expected' of your job title - and use the resume to list achievements or roles that are unique or would set you apart from others.

Jaybird

Sep 4, 2018
Indeed, Monster, ZIP Recruiter, LinkedIn, USA Jobs (if you're in the U.S). If you have a security clearance, try clearancejobs.com. Attend job fairs! You got this man!

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Just to assure: I know the golden rule is not to leave unless I have something lined up. I am merely entertaining the idea right now. I am trying to be very careful about this.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Does the college that you went to do career fairs? Aside from the obvious job search sites, career fairs are an option, and some colleges will host them as well.

Interview advice I have is maybe plan out responses to the most basic of interview questions. Do a bit of research on the company you're interested in and come up with questions pertaining to the job and company. You never know what they may ask, but having something in mind for an answer and to ask them, especially if you have bad anxiety, is better than having a brain fart.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
good luck op! finding a new job can be difficult and a lil bit soul crushing. but you can do it. i have shit social anxiety and i managed to pull through, so can you. i guess one tip that i found helpful was, when you get an interview, to do some deep breathing exercises before they call you in. grounding and mindfulness and such. you'll go in with a clearer head.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I recently left my first job out of college after 6 months. It seemed scary at first but it turned out to be a great decision. My advice would be to apply, apply, apply. It's a numbers game at the end of the day. Take every interview you are able, even if you're not all that interested in the job. The experience is really helpful.

The hardest part is getting started. If your resume is up to date, just start applying. You won't regret it.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Always have a job lined up and locked in before leaving your current gig. It took me three months from applying to a job to actually getting hired and then another month to start working there, so keep that in mind while you are deliberating quitting your job.

Apply to anything and everything that catches your eye. Remember that even if you get no response, that does not mean anything. If you apply at the state or city level, it can take months before they review your application. Don't let rejections get you down, either. The worst anybody can ever say is no, and just remember that there are so many others getting rejected as well. If you start feeling burned out of applying, stop. Don't push yourself more than you need to.

And most importantly, once you apply, don't think about the position anymore. Thinking too hard about any one position can only increase the pain of rejection or silence more.

For interviews, just go on any you can. Always do your research about the company before you go on the interview including their mission statement. Don't be afraid to be honest about a lack of knowledge in a certain area, but be sure to also include that you can learn the skill or provide a comparable skill that shows your potential at becoming proficient at whatever their needs are. Sometimes lying can put you in a worse situation in the future.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Question for those in charge of hiring:

Fiance e was fired because her depression/anxiety caused her to be tardy. She was working with her therapist and boss/HR but they fired her before she could get an accommodations form signed by her therapist.

Does she specify it was depression/anxiety or just say medical issues?