• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 17, 2019
Editing: Apparently I should be clear on somethings. I am not a student at the school but an Adjunct Professor in the Computer science department and a Computer Lab professional there. At my college student clubs must have a staff or teacher act as the Advisor to the club who is a go-between for the students and the school administration. I hope this clears it up.

Edit2: Mentioned in several posts about why events are the way they are, the school insists on having some academic or cultural connection for the clubs to make them less social and more "school-oriented". To this end, we had to have events that connect the Anime/gaming side with something cultural and my students suggested the origami and the Japanese lessons. (Our President right now has mostly had the only experience of running a middle school, while the former president of the college that left a few years ago was very much someone who did not like the idea of social clubs, ie: clubs that didn't have a purpose other than students making friends or networking.)

Edit3: For those wondering about the Maid Cafe, no it wasn't as you would think. The idea was more akin to High Tea event, but with more of a japan spin on it due to students in a survey asking for something connected to a Convention, and our then Head of the Student Activities (person who takes care of all the clubs and events on campus) asked for a Maid like Cafe since that seemed the most appropriate to have over a panel or similar event. So we did a thing where students could come in, watch a movie and be served by our members. They were supposed to get cloth napkins with their names written on them as a parting gift but the school did not come through with access to our funds at the time for us to get them. I hope that explains more and clears that up.

So I'm an Advisor for my community college's Anime/Gaming club. We've been in existence since 2004 and I've been in charge since 2008, and over the years we've, of course, fluctuated with the times and focused on various social activities. In recent years there's been a downturn in students that want to join the club since we can't do as many activities as we used to due to Red tape (basically we have to give 3 weeks for larger events before they happen, and 2 weeks for smaller events). Thing is we need students to join us as many of our members will be graduating soon. Since I'm an older Millennial my tastes and views on games and Anime are probably vastly different than younger Millennials and Gen Zers.

So what I'm hoping for here is suggestions in ways to get students active in my club? We already do tournaments for various games, so gamers tend to come to us easily but what I'm looking for is the Anime fans. I've seen a lot of students watching it on computers in the library and in the Student union (commons). So any suggestions on how to create events that would cater to the Anime crowd, or something that we can do, other than "Put on Anime" -we've tried to do that and it doesn't seem to get them to want to come to us.

(For the record we're in the states.)

Just so you know things we've tried:

White Day Celebration -covering the Asian Holiday that follows Valentines day
Ghibli movie -found out we need licensing rights, and the school wasn't willing to pay for it since they already had used that upon other live-action movies
Origami day -Did not attract people, or they didn't get the idea of paper folding (would be willing to try that again if we can get someone to teach it)
Maid Cafe -Was a bust due to the school insisting we use the business that runs the cafeteria and no one likes their deserts, also stuck in a corner room so no one saw us.
Anime Days -Gamers will come in and take over the tvs after about an hour or so since the room we use has to be open to the public.
Japanese lessons -Only club members came and we had too many screwing around rather than learning.

I'm open to suggestions, any suggestions at this point. Keep in mind we're not a huge community college, and the vast majority of the school is Hispanic but there are a lot of anime fans, as I've seen them walking around with plushies and various anime on their shirts. Also, I'd like to get girls to join us as the group is mostly dudes and it would be nice to have equal parts women and men in there.

Last edited:

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Get some air fresheners for the room. I went one day to the gaming club at my university to see what it was about. There were rows of tvs and consoles but when I walked in the stench... immediately left.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Is there really a need to combine anime and gaming into one club? When I was in college I was a part of a gaming club, but then the leaders decided to rebrand it as "AniGames" and do a combined anime gaming thing and all it did was just turn off the gamers and we all left. Maybe focus on just the gaming thing and let the anime part go.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What's your day to day like? I see you're trying to do a lot of events, which is fine, but what's the scenario for regular meetings? Do you have an inviting place to meet? Are meetings overly Chuuni?

I see a lot of people running anime clubs like they were Genshiken, which is basically one tv with a laptop and maybe a few game consoles there and people come and play or watch in a cramped room with a bunch of dudes and then they leave, and it's super uninviting.

I would spend 90% of your time and efforts making sure that where you're doing your regular meetings is as comfortable as possible, even if that means changing locations.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Have you tried anything with cosplay yet? Obviously it can apply to all kind of media, but I feel like it's definitely more popular on the anime side of things.

Also, and I'll mention that I'm very uninformed on cosplay and only have the occasional social media post as my exposure, cosplay seems to be more popular with girls; so I see it helping out with the disparity as well.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is there really a need to combine anime and gaming into one club? When I was in college I was a part of a gaming club, but then the leaders decided to rebrand it as "AniGames" and do a combined anime gaming thing and all it did was just turn off the gamers and we all left. Maybe focus on just the gaming thing and let the anime part go.

Also this. I ran the gaming club in college and basically changed the format to "we're going to have the club meetings in the mess hall during the highest flow of students going to eat, because then we can just have two or three setups running soul calibur or halo or what have you going and if people want to play they can. Nice couches, big screen tv's (that we probably weren't supposed to use but no one cared), food we didn't have to worry about and unlimited transparency. It was pretty successful.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sounds like your events were way too unstructured. Like you had origami and Japanese lesson days but no one to teach it? A good club needs some structure rather than just being a meeting place for people who like the same thing. Especially for a hobby that will tend to draw some people who tend not to be the best socializers when left to themselves.

Also I think you should either have an anime club or a gaming club. Not a combined club. I can tell you that if I was looking for a gaming club and saw Anime/Gaming, I wouldn't go because I wouldn't be interested in the anime side. I'm sure the reverse holds true for a good amount of people too. The dual subject of the club is probably turning away more people that you might realize.

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
Maid Cafe -Was a bust due to the school insisting we use the business that runs the cafeteria and no one likes their deserts, also stuck in a corner room so no one saw us.

No offense but I think you're kinda off base if you think this is why it failed. Most Americans are gonna see this as super creepy if they've never been exposed to the concept, and even those that have through their interest in anime might not be into it. I mean I did my undergrad overseas so I could be way off base here, but this seems like the type of event that would turn people OFF joining the group rather than the opposite.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Have you tried anything with cosplay yet? Obviously it can apply to all kind of media, but I feel like it's definitely more popular on the anime side of things.

Also, and I'll mention that I'm very uninformed on cosplay and only have the occasional social media post as my exposure, cosplay seems to be more popular with girls; so I see it helping out with the disparity as well.

You have to be careful with using cosplay as an attraction, as it usually tends to attract only young men who just want to see sexy outfits being worn and have no real interest on learning how to make or prepare their own cosplay. That kind of thing is immediate poison to a club that's trying to hold onto its relevance.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Gotta consider the times. Some people in the anime/gaming fandoms are introverts or socially awkward. They may want to join but don't and just end up going home. Just try something more casual, nothing too extravagant/anime-like. A chill place where you can watch anime and play some vidya. Some people like certain things from anime in 2D and only in 2D. Not so much irl.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This is going to sound mean, but:

Honestly, if you want the club to grow, you should consider stepping down. You admit you're "an older Millennial" and your "tastes and views on games and Anime are probably vastly different than younger Millennials and Gen Zers"...who are the people going to community colleges. It's a community college club, and you've been "in charge" since 2008? That's twelve years. Why not hand the reins to younger students?

Are you still attending that community college? No shame intended if you are — I'm a returning community college student — but if you aren't, why are you still the one "in charge"? College clubs exist in part so that students can have an opportunity to practice leadership roles.

And I second the suggestion that it probably wasn't the quality of desserts (or the location) that caused your maid café event to be "a bust."

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
my uni's esports society somehow managed to get ROG to lend them a tour bus filled with gaming PCs, and set it up at the big freshers' fair thing we do at the start of the year. It did gangbusters, apparently.

i should ask how the prez how she pulled that off sometime

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
From the events you list, it sounds to me like you're club is more about celebrating Japanese culture (probably through a Western lens as well) than anime or gaming. I'm not going to speculate on how a formal declaration of such a club would be received in 2020, but as an outsider that's how it reads to me.

Again as an outsider, if I was looking to join a gaming club and found one advertising with origami night and Japanese lessons I'd be a little confused. Like I think what we now consider "nerd culture" is far different (and more common and accepted) from when I was in college in the early 2000s with otaku culture and stuff.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Didn't consider the timeframe. I was assume OP was a student in some capacity.

Honestly, if you want the club to grow, you should consider stepping down. You admit you're "an older Millennial" and your "tastes and views on games and Anime are probably vastly different than younger Millennials and Gen Zers"...who are the people going to community colleges. It's a community college club, and you've been "in charge" since 2008? That's twelve years. Why not hand the reins to younger students?

Are you still attending that community college? No shame intended if you are — I'm a returning community college student — but if you aren't, why are you still the one "in charge"? College clubs exist in part so that students can have an opportunity to practice leadership roles.

And I second the suggestion that it probably wasn't the quality of deserts (or the location) that caused your maid café event to be "a bust."
Seconding this hard. It's time to let it go. Speaking as someone who helped run a club in college, older folks who stay around in a hands-on capacity are poison for the club. It's intimidating for new members, and robs younger people of their chance to take a shot at leading themselves. Not saying that you can't keep participating, but try to avoid even sticking on as an "advisor." We had someone who insisted on sticking around as-such, and it deferred club leadership from trying anything new.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go up to random students, ask them if they want to join, and if they say no just hand them flowers and random objects you've found around campus until they agree to join.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'd like to get girls to join us as the group is mostly dudes and it would be nice to have equal parts women and men in there.
Thankfully no one saw the maid because as a woman that's something that would make me never consider joining a club...

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
As someone who ran an Anime club for many years.

Stick to watching Anime, most people in my 100+ member club didn't attend any of the event days. Best results I had were theme days "Slice of Life day", "Action day", "Mecha Day" etc.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I think if you want to go more broadly Japanese stuff, contact your local Japanese cultural society. Book some people to dress up in traditional Japanese garments and play drums and martial arts demonstrations and stuff in the field or wherever students congregate.

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
To all the people that are saying step down - might be mistaken, but it sounds like OP is an employee of the school rather than a student. They can't really hand over the reigns unless that person also became employed by the school. I would say maybe elect some sort of staff from the student base that you can offload some of these planning responsibilities to, if they don't already exist. That's how it worked in my old anime/gaming club in college. Of course, if they graduate and there's no one to replace them that's still a problem. I haven't been back to my old college club in over a decade but it sounds like the issue they've been having.

Anyway OP we showed all sorts of movies on the DL, we just didn't advertise them so we didn't need to go through the expense of licensing them, which is indeed cost prohibitive.

Jayuk

Oct 27, 2017
As some have said already, I think you should stick to either anime OR gaming as a theme, not both.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
"Asian" isn't anime specific, and sounds bad in English if not explained/advertised properly.

Origami day -Did not attract people, or they didn't get the idea of paper folding (would be willing to try that again if we can get someone to teach it)
No teacher? What?

I think maid cafes are too fetishized to be a good event, anyway.

Anime Days -Gamers will come in and take over the tvs after about an hour or so since the room we use has to be open to the public.
I also think for an anime club every day would be anime day.

Japanese lessons -Only club members came and we had too many screwing around rather than learning.
Again, did you have a real teacher? Also, being a college, I'd think anyone who wants to really learn Japanese is going to take actual Japanese classes.

I think you need to drop the gaming or anime to have the club focused, and an anime club needs to make anime more normal seeming, rather than play into anime nerd stereotypes or generic Japanese/Asian activities.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ghibli movie -found out we need licensing rights, and the school wasn't willing to pay for it since they already had used that upon other live-action movies

Only two of those things are even related to anime or gaming, and you complain in one about people gaming.

It seems like your club has a major identity crisis in trying to do too many things, and it just looks like Weeaboo Club.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
You're an advisor, not the President of the club. For my Uni's orgs, we were required to have a Pres, Treasurer, and Secretary, does your club have something similar and if so what are their thoughts all of this (and if not you really should in order to create that type of sustainability over time for students to get involved). Also, honestly from your description the club sounds unfocused as hell. It's a mix of an anime club, gaming club, and Japanese appreciation in a way that seems too muddied.

"there's been a downturn in students that want to join the club since we can't do as many activities as we used to due to Red tape (basically we have to give 3 weeks for larger events before they happen, and 2 weeks for smaller events). "

Stop using your poor planning as an excuse for flagging attendance.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I work at UT Austin and joined the anime club mailing list some time ago but have never actually been to a meeting mostly due to the fact that I carpool with my wife (she also works here) and she has no interest so it's just a tough thing to swing. The bigger issue for me in particular though is the stuff they're showing is frankly just not that exciting. I assume it's due to red tape which is unfortunate because it must really limit the chance for success of this sort of organization. In my ideal world, someone from the club would just be able to sign in to Crunchyroll and show some new stuff, but I guess that must not be allowed because the stuff that they show is always incredibly old. I recently came across some sort of thing online where it showed how much it cost to show a film even for a club on a college campus and it was hundreds of dollars. Here is what was played on Friday:

Schedule for Friday, January 24th
  • Black Butler - Episode #13
  • Angel Beats - Episode #1
  • Toradora! - Episode #14
  • Break: TBA
  • Rurouni Kenshin - Episode #11
  • His and Her Circumstances- Episode #12
  • Card Captor Sakura - Episode #14
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena - Episode #14
Kare Kano is my all-time favorite anime series and obviously there are some classics in there (Utena, CCS, Kenshin) but sheesh, more than half of these shows are older than the kids in college and the other half are 10+ years old. I can't see how this is going to be a huge draw for the young kids who've now grown up in a world with so much streaming anime and availability.

I did find out that the local branch of my library has an adult anime club of some variety (in addition to their teen/tween) so I think I'll try and go to one of their nights. I wonder if they get more dispensation since they've got the Blu-rays and the like and are a public service.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i think simply having a nice planned out schedule of a wide range of anime to enjoy should entice people to stop by to hang out. if a particular show gets popular enough, just have a day for that show only.

if you really want to integrate gaming, just make sure it is the same people who like anime who are choosing what game to play. don't have a separate contingent of gamers deciding, otherwise you're basically just running 2 clubs

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

And I second the suggestion that it probably wasn't the quality of desserts (or the location) that caused your maid café event to be "a bust."

Given the timeframe, OP is probably an instructor at the college, not a student.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? You need to get women to join. Not just for the reasons you'd think.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Toast in Mouth Day - Everyone arrives with toast in their mouth and has to keep it there there whole meeting.
Mochi Day - Make real mochi with a hammer, a stump, and lots of rice.
Spongebob Day - Expose any japanese exchange students to American Anime.

Anime and gaming seem like they should be separate clubs.

This is the real advice. Though they are linked for quite a few people I say the majority are just looking for one or the other.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Have you considered the possibility that many students don't really want these combined?

If I would have been interested in meeting other people to play video games with in college (I wasn't, I prefer solo), including anime would have been a major detractor.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
...You actually tried doing a maid cafe?? I can't imagine why more women don't join.

I think separating the two makes sense. It's possible that I would have joined a gaming club while I was in college, were one around. I would not have joined a gaming/anime club. The opposite is probably the case for many, as well.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of people hating on the maid cafe, but in the organizations I've been in, maid cafe suggestions have always come from the women.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
host events for anime fighting games? if you're getting good tourney attendance but little anime-viewing attendance, that seems like the best way for the members to bring in more students who like anime.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a groups person but I would think a group focused on a specific activity would do best by having events where people are doing that specific activity. Also echoing the sentiment that you're probably losing one group by catering to the other, and specifically I would almost guarantee you're losing gamers due to the anime side's Japanese stuff.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Oh yeah, just to weigh in on the combined clubs: I think it makes sense especially at a community college who maybe has a smaller budget, but when I was in college, there was indeed a separate club for gaming and for anime. I participated in both but I was more involved with the gaming club since my two best friends at FSU were a part of it as well -- we actually met thanks to their hosting a Smash tournament and one of them posting about it on GAF!

Lot of people hating on the maid cafe, but in the organizations I've been in, maid cafe suggestions have always come from the women.
Just to follow on to the maid cafe discussion.. I just looked up JACT's web page (the FSU anime club I was in) and they are doing one at FreeCon 16, an anime/gaming con in Tallahassee, and have a practice session tonight from 5-7 PM as well as 3 more scheduled for the next 10 days or so. The advisor for the club is a female Japanese professor (which maybe makes it less "weird" than if the advisor is not one -- not sure if this applies to the OP or not).

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
*Googles maid cafe, as I've never heard of it before*

249.gif

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
unless things have changed since the mid 2000s with funimation (which was when I was involved with my anime club) they typically are pretty open about licensing movies for non profit events for free.
we held our own little convention and licensed out anime to show which funimation just required us to show all the credits in their entirety.
granted this could easily change since Sony owns Funimation now and Sony was a pain to try to work with back in the day lol.
Sentai would likely be similar.
granted this was all before the digital streaming age.

While we did showings like that we also typically ran fighting tournaments. There are tons of anime fighters, and smash is always a draw.

you can also look into if companies have an anime club thing still
Funimation used to (every month they would send us the first disk of some new releases for us to show)
rightstuff still does have an easy to find one

We also did stuff like got some funding for the club, and then permission to spend that funding on the convention we ran as well as food we sold.
we bought pocky and ramune in bulk and then sold them to people at our screenings at a small mark up.
we then took that money and spent it on building an anime library that our members could rent stuff out from.
but each school will be different with such things.

even if the school itself might not give you funding you could see if you could do something similar with the sale of ramune and pocky. Likely taking the risk of buying the stuff up front with your own money and repaying yourself first with sales and then putting the rest into the club ect. Again schools have different views on such things. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them didn't let you basically become a snack vendor. Our school was really lax with such things and it was just like a $50 license to be able to sell snacks for the year lol.