• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
My office allows people to bring their dogs into the work and for the most part, they're mostly chill and a fun distraction to play with on occasion. It would make you want one, but it's totally different to play with someone else's dog for 5 minutes and then to actually be responsible for one.

I did have a favorite dog in the office. She's everyone's favorite and I would talk about how I'd love to watch her for a weekend and how great and chill she is, much moreso than the other dogs. And this weekend was my chance to do it.

But the second she became my responsibility, it's like I got a different dog. In the office, she might come to you and let you pet her for a bit and then walk away or just sit by you and it was adorable. While dogsitting, this is what I got, except sometimes for 5-15 minutes straight. Except she pushes the side of her body against you.

Literally as I'm getting dressed to freaking take her out to the park. I had to take her on 2-3 pre walks before we actually got to the park.

I had to go down the checklist. Do you want water? Nope that got ignored. I don't think you have to go because we literally just took you out. Do you want food? Okay, I opened your horrible smelling dog food in my studio apartment and you don't want to eat, so I'll just endure that smell. Okay, I'll just pet you. Fine, well do another walk.

Walking her isn't really fun, but I ended up doing it 5 times a day since she seemed so eager. It could've been fun, but she stops at every single tree or bush to sniff. Sometimes she was just looking for a place to pee or poop, but then afterwards it kept going. And would really stand her ground so she could continue sniffing what was at times just a patch of dirt. Went as long as I could, but I had to tap out after 35 minutes at the park both days. Not counting all the other walks that came before and after.

I can go on and on and on and on, but the point is, I've had her for 48 hours and it's fucking exhausting. And at certain points, it felt like actual trolling. Like stopping for everything, but the moment she got done pooping, suddenly she's in a rush to go, like I haven't picked up half a dozen of these.

I'm obviously not cut out for this, but how do people do this? And then go on to function.

And then God forbid your dog does something wrong in public, people are so ready to call you a shitty owner. Nothing like that happened with me, but thats just the perception I get from dog commentary online. Just imagine, putting in all that work and then someone judges you like that, I would be so mad.

This was a learning experience tho. Im not cut out for this. No kids, and certainly not kids if that's what dogs are practice for to some.

On the brightside, despite how the conversation goes on Era, people, at least the ones I ran into, seem to have a nice perception of pitpulls. Got several "nice pitbull"s in passing. She's a mix. Even a child came up to play with her. Though, she did seem upset that the ears were clips and all I had to say was "uh ... She's a rescue, I think she came like that".

So that was my weekend outside of seeing Us Friday night.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Do you think people look at a newspaper to admire the quality of the paper? No it is what is printed on the page that is interesting. The dog isn't smelling the dirt or grass, theyre smelling the scent from dogs and other animals that have been there.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
And now we're doing the ten minutes of petting. What was fun is now obligatory.

Do you think people look at a newspaper to admire the quality of the paper? No it is what is printed on the page that is interesting. The dog isn't smelling the dirt or grass, theyre smelling the scent from dogs and other animals that have been there.
Okay? A dogs gonna do what it's gonna do, that doesn't make walking her less annoying now. Obviously she liked what she smelled. That doesn't change anything I said.

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
As the master, you don't actually have to let the dog smell everything. You can keep her close to you, maybe carrying treats in your hand to reward her for good walking, and you can walk where you want to walk. Dogs are pack animals and they get enjoyment and purpose out of functioning in pack behavior. If you let her lead, then you are the follower.

Dogs are social animals, of course, and they like attention and to be around people. If you let them, they will absorb nearly all of your time just with wanting to play, be pet, etc. You have to set the rules for what kind of engagement you want with your dog. I have two. One is very independent and the other is so needy. Tell the needy dog no, firmly, and ignore when you don't want to give them attention.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
As the master, you don't actually have to let the dog smell everything. You can keep her close to you, maybe carrying treats in your hand to reward her for good walking, and you can walk where you want to walk. Dogs are pack animals and they get enjoyment and purpose out of functioning in pack behavior. If you let her lead, then you are the follower.

Dogs are social animals, of course, and they like attention and to be around people. If you let them, they will absorb nearly all of your time just with wanting to play, be pet, etc. You have to set the rules for what kind of engagement you want with your dog. I have two. One is very independent and the other is so needy. Tell the needy dog no, firmly, and ignore when you don't want to give them attention.
She wouldn't take her treat. She'd just smell it and ignore. I was better about saying no today. But then she didn't always listen. I'd pull the leash gradually. She definitely sad eyes a lot.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They understand the world by the smell, it's their nature.

No one is obliged to have a dog if it annoy so much.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to give into her demands.
402.jpg

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Multiply all this by 5 and you have an approximation of what having a toddler is like.

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Don't let the dog dictate what you do. You need to assert yourself when you have an animal, and they need to realize you're not going to be a pushover.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I just thought it would be the way it was at work. I pet her because I wanted to and then shed walk away after like 15 seconds.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
And now we're doing the ten minutes of petting. What was fun is now obligatory.

Okay? A dogs gonna do what it's gonna do, that doesn't make walking her less annoying now. Obviously she liked what she smelled. That doesn't change anything I said.
Dogs can be taught to follow along and not to stop smell at every turd, lamp post & such you go by. People also generally don't take the dog out, like, 6 times a day (especially on weekdays). Generally it's once in the morning, once when coming back home from work/school and once before going to sleep. Not all of these need to take 2 hours or anything (especially the before-sleep walk can just be a quick 15-30 minutes take-a-leak walk around a few blocks/through a 1-2km forest path/whatever kind of outside areas you have) and you can just take them as healthy exercise for yourself as well. You should be taking walks/a jog even if you don't have a dog.

And you can scratch the doggie while watching Netflix/Youtube/telly while they rest besides you. Or during cutscenes/downtime while playing. And there are some stuff you can do with the dog that can activate them while not needing a whole lot of participation from you and make the dog calm down pretty quickly. Like, hide 4-5 treats/small pieces of dry food around the house/living room and then make the dog find them. This might require a bit of practice if fetching/looking for things isn't familiar to the dog but they'll really enjoy it once they get the hang of it. Sniffing around and trying to find them is a pretty active & somewhat mentally challenging job for a dog that can make them pretty content once they've done it a couple of times.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of things that impact your lifestyle, the first couple of days are going to be harder than when you've gotten into the rhythm of this new thing.

And if you need some time to yourself you give the dog something to do, like work the food out of a stuffed Kong.

stuffedkongsmall.jpg

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
Seconding the kong suggestion above. Chewing stuff is like TV for dogs, so going to a pet store and getting a few bully sticks or an antler or something will give you a break for a few hours.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you sound like a bit of a push over, and the dog is picking up on that. Dogs will always be excited to go out side. They will never say "no" if you're asking if they need to go potty, or want to go for a walk, or whatever. just because your dog glances at the door doesn't mean you need to take them for a walk. If they've pooped and gotten exercise already, they're good. Assert yourself, when the dog demands attention, don't give it to them. You can say no. In human-dog language, simply not looking at the dog sends the message.

Try distracting the dog, get her a rawhide bone or something and let it go to town.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dogs want what they want man. If you're not into it, that's fine, but what did you expect? Literally all they want in life is to be loved by you and love you, smell stuff, eat and run around. They're not some form of passive entertainment that like, exist to let you pet them for a few seconds every once in a while. Just get a nice fuzzy pillow if you need that.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
if your dog's coworkers invite him to a party does that mean you're invited
If you can work in a medical problem that you should be talking to a professional about instead of an internet forum, you've got the trifecta.

OP, it could be worse. I have ten chickens, three goats, two cats, two children, and one dog. Yet somehow I spent almost all of today playing video games. You'll figure it out.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Medium-large dogs require a lot of exercise. That's really it. If you're willing to put in the work, the rest is easy.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That dog is taking advantage of you....

A dog needs to go outside, poop, pee and sniff everything possible. That's what they do.

But you need to set boundaries. If you let them they can take all your attention and time.

I loved the walks with my dog (miss you buddy) but I had to say "enough" after a certain time or I would be outside all day. Dogs need rules and they have no problems living with them.

My dog died 11 days ago and I miss him so so much. I would give anything to do those things with him again. Caring for him was exhausting some times but now after he isn't here anymore I miss every minute of those moments.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
OP, this sounds like some weird-ass pushover behavior.

You do not have to take a dog out 5 times a day for a walk. You do not have to constantly pet it.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Something to keep in mind is that while we as dog owners have other responsibilities, hobbies, obligations, and people to direct our attention at... our dogs only have us.

They deserve to be a little needy.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Like a lot of things that impact your lifestyle, the first couple of days are going to be harder than when you've gotten into the rhythm of this new thing.

And if you need some time to yourself you give the dog something to do, like work the food out of a stuffed Kong.

stuffedkongsmall.jpg

My pug loves these. I fill them with peanut butter and other treats, and he goes crazy for like an hour trying to get it all out.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
It sucks even harder when you're the ONLY person who watches, takes the dog out to go potty, etc. I find the puppy stage to be worse than raising a child during their terrible twos stage. The first pup we got 2-3 years ago chilled out and is easy to handle and deal with. This second one we got last year, not so much. I love the dog, but she is a pain in the ass for being a rescue dog. She is 8-9 months old, and still not really over chewing on stuff she shouldn't and all. I swear our first one got over that within a year or less.

We never really grew up training our dogs or anything either, and never dealt with the puppy stuff til a few years ago. I don't suggest it.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why did the real dog owners let the literal grinch take care of their animal?

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
A dog will 100% treat you differently than its owner, because that's just how packs work. You're a friend at best, not the leader.

You have to establish yourself and be an authority, or you'll be walked on.

I've dog sat and worked at a kennel, and this is just the way it is. You don't get to be the leader just because you're the human, haha.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
A dog will 100% treat you differently than its owner, because that's just how packs work. You're a friend at best, not the leader.

You have to establish yourself and be an authority, or you'll be walked on.

I've dog sat and worked at a kennel, and this is just the way it is. You don't get to be the leader just because you're the human, haha.

This isn't quite there, but feels dangerously close to Cesar Milan dominance nonsense.

Dogs are social, but are not pack animals.

You don't need to establish yourself as an authority. Humans are the authority. We decide when and what dogs eat, what's in their environment, when they get to spend time in another environment, the animals they get to interact with and how much, etc.

Dogs do what works for them. If they want affection, and rubbing up against a person gets that, they'll keep doing it. If it's ignored, they'll learn it doesn't work and stop. That's it.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't quite there, but feels dangerously close to Cesar Milan dominance nonsense.

Dogs are social, but are not pack animals.

You don't need to establish yourself as an authority. Humans are the authority. We decide when and what dogs eat, what's in their environment, when they get to spend time in another environment, the animals they get to interact with and how much, etc.

Dogs do what works for them. If they want affection, and rubbing up against a person gets that, they'll keep doing it. If it's ignored, they'll learn it doesn't work and stop. That's it.

I said nothing of dominance. I said authority. Dogs are social animals, yes, and they are also pack animals. You're kidding yourself if you think a dog automagically gets in line for every human it ever meets just because they're human, and you're way off base if you think dogs don't respond to authoritative behavior from the humans (and other animals) around them and learn who needs to be respected and who doesn't.

I'm saying this as someone who has watched, innumerable times, the complete change in behavior a "well-behaved, highly-trained" dog goes through once their owner drops them off at day camp or the kennel. Suddenly they don't know "sit" or "down" or "heel" or to not pull on the leash or to "flat tire" when they don't want to do something someone who's not their owner wants them to do. Within the kennel, there were dogs who behaved around some of the workers and not others, and the difference was a stern tone and consistent expectation over being cutesy with the dog in question. Even my dog knew, for a while, that she had to listen to me but could get away with not listening to my parents, and as far as I know all three of us were humans she should have known were "the authority."

So, no, this isn't some hack "Cesar Milan" nonsense. I never even watched a full episode of his shtick. It's just how dog's work. That's it. Am I saying beat the dog and scare it into obedience? No. That was Cesar Milan's nonsense. But I am saying dogs respond to authority and that's what OP needs to espouse if they want to make the most of their time with their canine guest.

Anyway, Bobo Dakes, I dunno how old this doggo is or how she behaves with her owners, but it sounds like there's a few things you could do (or consider) here:

1. She is probably very anxious. She's in a new environment away from her family and her routine is being shaken up, and if there's one thing dogs DO automagically cue in to, it's routines. Changes are stressful, especially without their leader around to help them through it. Just watch for signs of stress such as whale-eying, excessive panting or yawning, and not eating or drinking.

2. "Let's Go!" while walking. A verbal command followed by pulling the doggo even when she hunkers down to do what she wants. You don't have to stop every time she wants to stop. If she's handled her business, she doesn't need to stop. And if she needs to go, she will pop a squat mid-step if she has to. It helps if you keep the doggo at a trot (even if you have to walk a bit briskly). Once a dog is trotting they tend to want to keep trotting. A walking dog is going to meander. You should verbally reward or (or pet her!) once she starts moving again. If she's an older dog then keeping her trotting might not be the best idea and power-walking might be better. Even walking is fine so long as you establish "Let's Go!" to mean "keep moving forward with me."

3. "That's it!" if she's asking for too much petting. And she is asking; you're just obliging. If she keeps asking, move away from her (even if it inconveniences you) for a few seconds and then return. She'll eventually pick up that if she wants to be around you, she needs to not be so pushy. If she can't get infinite pets, she can make do with just being nearby. On the other hand, the excessive demand for petting could just be her being insecure, so if you do cut her off, make sure you're also initiating the petting sometimes too.

4. Supplement outside play (walks) with inside play. She needs to be stimulated (toys, pets, ruffhousing, trick training) indoors too, and doing so will reduce the need to go outdoors for stimulation. Five walks seems like a lot, but I don't know your (temporary) dog's age or energy level. I walk my border collie 20 minutes once or twice a day (or take her to the dog park for an hour, which covers both walks) and we play a lot when indoors (because she will eat a wall if we don't. Hahaha..... help). If her owner didn't leave any toys, ask if you can pick some up and have her reimburse you. In anycase, you'll probably find she's less needy if you're giving her that playtime proactively. She'll be more inclined to chill and not ask for attention.

5. Reinforcing wanted behavior goes waaaay further in training than punishing unwanted behavior. When doggo keeps walking after catching a scent, even if she slows down a little bit and even if you had to tell her to keep walking, make sure to tell her she's a good girl and give her a scratch. If you catch her chilling out or playing by herself (instead of being all up on you asking for rubs) walk over and praise her and give her a scratch. If she eats her food, praise her and give her a scratch.

Last edited:

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
You're asking how dog owners deal with living with and taking care of dogs. Dog owners generally have a shared language with and can understand their dog. The OP is filled with annoyances over behaviour you don't understand. You're misinterpreting all of the dogs actions, except maybe its need to poop. That's the reason you're annoyed and don't understand how people deal with it.

Having a dog is a large responsibility, and that's something you're self-admittedly not ready for (or perhaps even interested in). That's fine. 🙂

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Dogs have a very set schedule that their masters maintain. They ask for all kinds of stuff, but they're good at holding it until its time.

They will also always come for petting, and you can give it to them, but sometimes you can just let them ask a bunch, get bored and move on.

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
I've got one of those attention seeking dogs at home, when you get up, they get up. When you sit down they jump up thinking it's a good time to ask for attention.

My other dog by stark contrast tends to just lie down and only occasionally pester me. Usually I'm doing the pestering.

What's worse is you can't spend time with the lazy one without the other wanting in.

And yeah it's shit sometimes, but I can always go and hug them or play with them when I'm not feeling well. That makes all of it worth it.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's understandable OP, dog watching can suck when you don't know the dog well. If you raise your dog then I guarantee it'll be different because you will be the alpha and set the boundaries for the dog. Of course she wanted to go out for a million walks, if it was up to my dogs we'd be taking walks literally the entire day, it's their favorite thing to do. Reality is they know we'll walk when I grab the leashes and they don't waste their time begging otherwise because they know it won't get them anywhere.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Lol sounds like the dog is taking advantage of you. Mine does the same thing to my mom when she watches her.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, today is the last day (I think). Just gotta walk her and then bring her to work. Feed and then walk and the owner should be back for her by 5. I'mma miss her, but our relationship was clearly better with space.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said nothing of dominance. I said authority. Dogs are social animals, yes, and they are also pack animals. You're kidding yourself if you think a dog automagically gets in line for every human it ever meets just because they're human, and you're way off base if you think dogs don't respond to authoritative behavior from the humans (and other animals) around them and learn who needs to be respected and who doesn't.

I'm saying this as someone who has watched, innumerable times, the complete change in behavior a "well-behaved, highly-trained" dog goes through once their owner drops them off at day camp or the kennel. Suddenly they don't know "sit" or "down" or "heel" or to not pull on the leash or to "flat tire" when they don't want to do something someone who's not their owner wants them to do. Within the kennel, there were dogs who behaved around some of the workers and not others, and the difference was a stern tone and consistent expectation over being cutesy with the dog in question. Even my dog knew, for a while, that she had to listen to me but could get away with not listening to my parents, and as far as I know all three of us were humans she should have known were "the authority."

So, no, this isn't some hack "Cesar Milan" nonsense. I never even watched a full episode of his shtick. It's just how dog's work. That's it. Am I saying beat the dog and scare it into obedience? No. That was Cesar Milan's nonsense. But I am saying dogs respond to authority and that's what OP needs to espouse if they want to make the most of their time with their canine guest.

Anyway, Bobo Dakes, I dunno how old this doggo is or how she behaves with her owners, but it sounds like there's a few things you could do (or consider) here:

1. She is probably very anxious. She's in a new environment away from her family and her routine is being shaken up, and if there's one thing dogs DO automagically cue in to, it's routines. Changes are stressful, especially without their leader around to help them through it. Just watch for signs of stress such as whale-eying, excessive panting or yawning, and not eating or drinking.

2. "Let's Go!" while walking. A verbal command followed by pulling the doggo even when she hunkers down to do what she wants. You don't have to stop every time she wants to stop. If she's handled her business, she doesn't need to stop. And if she needs to go, she will pop a squat mid-step if she has to. It helps if you keep the doggo at a trot (even if you have to walk a bit briskly). Once a dog is trotting they tend to want to keep trotting. A walking dog is going to meander. You should verbally reward or (or pet her!) once she starts moving again. If she's an older dog then keeping her trotting might not be the best idea and power-walking might be better. Even walking is fine so long as you establish "Let's Go!" to mean "keep moving forward with me."

3. "That's it!" if she's asking for too much petting. And she is asking; you're just obliging. If she keeps asking, move away from her (even if it inconveniences you) for a few seconds and then return. She'll eventually pick up that if she wants to be around you, she needs to not be so pushy. If she can't get infinite pets, she can make do with just being nearby. On the other hand, the excessive demand for petting could just be her being insecure, so if you do cut her off, make sure you're also initiating the petting sometimes too.

4. Supplement outside play (walks) with inside play. She needs to be stimulated (toys, pets, ruffhousing, trick training) indoors too, and doing so will reduce the need to go outdoors for stimulation. Five walks seems like a lot, but I don't know your (temporary) dog's age or energy level. I walk my border collie 20 minutes once or twice a day (or take her to the dog park for an hour, which covers both walks) and we play a lot when indoors (because she will eat a wall if we don't. Hahaha..... help). If her owner didn't leave any toys, ask if you can pick some up and have her reimburse you. In anycase, you'll probably find she's less needy if you're giving her that playtime proactively. She'll be more inclined to chill and not ask for attention.

5. Reinforcing wanted behavior goes waaaay further in training than punishing unwanted behavior. When doggo keeps walking after catching a scent, even if she slows down a little bit and even if you had to tell her to keep walking, make sure to tell her she's a good girl and give her a scratch. If you catch her chilling out or playing by herself (instead of being all up on you asking for rubs) walk over and praise her and give her a scratch. If she eats her food, praise her and give her a scratch.

This is all super good advice. This lady dogs.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm in a studio apartment. Her thinking we're going out couldn't be helped sometimes when I got out of bed.
That's just because she's gone however long you were asleep without being able to pee.

I'm guessing she's also probably used to living in a house with a back yard if she wants to go out as often as you're saying. Probably used to just hanging out outside most of the day.

I have an apartment and I'd say I walk my dog at least 4 times a day (Morning, when I get back from work, two hours after dinner, and right before I go to bed). And he's partially crippled so it's even more annoying :)

Edit - I keep the walks to about 10-15 minutes each, maybe I'll let him go a little longer during the after work one if I don't have anywhere to be. He's a small dog though.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Walk the dog 3 times per day max (morning/before work), lunch if you can, evening)
Dogs like to sniff, a 10 minute walk will actually take 30 minutes. Plan in advance, walk the dog a bit earlier if you have plans later etc. This will also make your walks way more enjoyable if you just relax and let the dog sniff and let her be a dog.

These are the things I keep in mind with my dogs and I enjoy every walk we take.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Animals that stay outside and lay eggs > animals that stay outside and get milked > animals that stay outside > children that can help take care of said animals >> animals that stay indoors.
ah, dun have those buggers i can trick with cheap promises into doing my work :(

The cats still refuse to clean their litter boxes themselves.