• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
220px-Adventure_Time_Distant_Lands_Poster.jpg

Adventure Time Continues with ADVENTURE TIME: DISTANT LANDS on HBO Max
A revival of the series in the form of four specials, they will release over sometime and almost an hour long each.

The first to be released is BMO
bmo-image.jpeg

Update-

1*I_n3QPQSxOCR_Tw2SOIiPw.jpeg

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Watched it earlier and really enjoyed it. BMO is a very charming character thanks to the voice actress who provides his voice.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this work as a standalone project? Or is it going to be unsatisfying if I haven't watched all the way through the last season of Adventure Time?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Watched it earlier and really enjoyed it. BMO is a very charming character thanks to the voice actress who provides his voice.
I love BMO as well, but judging from your avatar, not as much.

While it's completely insignificant I think to BMOs character, do you recall if they were referred to as any particular gender pronoun in the special? That's what's been somewhat interesting.

Will definitely watch later!

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

While it's completely insignificant I think to BMOs character, do you recall if they were referred to as any particular gender pronoun in the special? That's what's been somewhat interesting.

BMO is definitely a 'he'. Not sure I remember anyone in the special referring to him in that manner though.

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017

bmo is a God

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
BMO might be my favourite after Jake so I'm stoked to watch this. Gonna try to watch it with some friends, too.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that they didnt reveal who mr m was. Keeps you wondering and makes you feel smart if you catch the mannerisms.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Didn't realize they were releasing it as just one big bulk episode. That's neat, I'll get to watch it later tomorrow.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I still find it odd that BMO got the name of one of the largest banks in Canada, right down to the all-caps styling and pronunciation.

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
BMO has been refered to as 'she' in the show at least one time and is said to be without gender.

From my recollection BMO goes by every type of pronoun which I love.

Just watched the episode and loved it, Y5 is so fun and likeable and I hope she turns up in a later special.

It's good to have my favourite show back, even for a little while.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hold up, these four episodes are going to be spread out over the next two YEARS (per Vulture; spoiler warning)? I very naively thought this was weekly. Now I'm sad.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't like the bunny character but the episode was alright. It was cool to see Finn's dad again.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to check this out this weekend.

Imagine this in HDR. Get it together HBO.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Great special probably my favorite BMO focused thing.

Interesting that it takes place before BMO meets Finn and Jake

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't like the bunny character but the episode was alright. It was cool to see Finn's dad again.

Side note, that was the biggest FU of the finale. Finn's dad not showing up for closure. Which would have been fine if they hadn't redeemed his character in the island arc. Should have left it at Finn realizing that people are who they are, instead of, no wait, he's actually a good guy for real.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It would be more appropriate to call them specials rather than episodes

In twenty years we'll probably get a Scooby Doo x Adventure Time special
Yeah, but ATT/WB/HBO MAX/CN/whoever has been awful with the communication here. I never saw anything that said "hey it's 4 specials that'll drop whenever" and I've been scouring for info since this was announced. Communication regarding all HBO MAX content has been awful, honestly.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Side note, that was the biggest FU of the finale. Finn's dad not showing up for closure. Which would have been fine if they hadn't redeemed his character in the island arc. Should have left it at Finn realizing that people are who they are, instead of, no wait, he's actually a good guy for real.
martin literally ascended out of existence theres literally no way he could have come back

it didn't redeem his character either. it was his fault entirely that he had to abandon finn like that because he sold other people out earlier. he's always been a con-man- one moment in the past didnt make all of his actions suddenly okay, especially when he met up with finn again like a decade and a half later in a galactic prison. he used him to escape. he's a shitty person, he's not a good guy. you profoundly misunderstood that entire character if you thought islands redeemed him at all.

this is such a weird way of looking at martin's character honestly. it ignores his shitty actions in the present of the show and even in the past and just focuses on the one time he didnt act in self-interest. it made martin more a three dimensional character, yes, but it was still about him hurting others. hes a loving father in that moment, but it still didnt stop him from grifting finn in the future. he just kept burning bridges after that moment in time.

its more complicated than just him being a "good guy", especially when the only reason that moment happens at all is because he was being a piece of shit "bad guy".

i dont know how you can see it as a fuck you that he wasnt in the big finale to give finn "closure" when he was there in season 6's finale, giving finn the kind of closure that was much more in line with what he became, not who he was and that finn wouldn't find out about later on. he ascended from reality because finn rejected it and i think on some level, it was because he had become so separated from the ability to care about anyone but himself after that night. it hurt too much to even think about- to talk about- in that village with the little people when martin's ship crashed in ooo. martin's story ends in season 6, but that doesn't erase the damage he did in the past.

it just completely ignores the entire arc and focuses on a specific aspect to think it redeemed him at all.

Last edited:

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
So I have a big question that I can't quite wrap my head around:

Why was Mo trying to terraform Mars?

He already knew about the advanced Martian society that lived there. Or did he create it while Finn was alive? Do we ever hear how old it is? I had assumed it had been there thousands of years given Abe Lincoln and Glob being there.

My only explanation is he built the fire gods to melt the ice on Mars and create an atmosphere (ala Total Recall) and then make it into a new Earth where Martians and Humans could possibly live together.