• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I LOVE Advance Wars. It is such a perfect portable game on 3DS. It was one of my favorite 3DS games. But honestly this game looks terrible. The graphics and animations and the overall depth to the game looks extremely underwhelming.

Why remaster this? The game concept is not too difficult to make. It's not like making another Final Fantasy 7. It's a tabletop game. Why doesn't Nintendo make a new Advance Wars for the Switch generation with a new story and more modern art style/graphics/better design. Just another example of Nintendo's history of providing little games on its consoles and relying on remasters.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I like Advance Wars very much, but I don't see it as my obligation to buy something that I don't want. If being a "fan" means blindly spending money on things that don't appeal to me for the nebulous and unpromised hope of some vague future day granting me something that I might want, I guess I'm not a fan. I'm a grown adult with a family and my own interests and tastes, it's not my job to beg corporations to make things for me by giving them money without getting a product that I directly want in return.

Also, as far as this point goes - "The art style might very well move back closer to the old pixel-art in future AW titles, but only if they even get a chance to exist" - you could easily argue that if the game is successful, there would actually be little to no interest in returning to pixel art, because the market has clearly shown that the new style is preferred.

This is a great post. I'm torn because I really enjoyed these games on GBA, but the art style is just so plain and kind of ugly to me. It's not my obligation to purchase whatever Nintendo releases, especially when the game's aesthetic is actively off-putting to me. Trying to paint people who dislike the artstyle as "not real fans" is such a lazy and disingenuous claim.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Can't speak for them, but I'm embarrassed when people are shitty about something not looking the way they want it to in their mind and they act like it's a huge deal.
I'm embarrassed to be on the same forum as people like that.

"looking the way they want it to in their mind".

In my mind? I would be happy if the Advance Wars remake looked like the originals still do on my GBA, but sadly, it's a pretty big downgrade.

Last edited:

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I was disappointed with Wargroove at first, but the game has been rebalanced over time and Double Trouble was fantastic free DLC that showed the team is getting better. If they continue making Wargroove games I think it will become a great series.

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
I'm honestly much more accepting of the art style after learning that this box art from the Japanese version of the game likely served as WayForward's inspiration -

96309_original_7b69c9dc-35da-44b2-9e9a-03bf0615c478.jpeg
That's pretty ugly box art too, to be fair.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember loving the first game but I could not finish the final mission, was it just me being a 13 year old kid or was it actually difficult?

I can't wait to play this so I can actually finish it this time around, and then finally playing the 2nd game.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I remember loving the first game but I could not finish the final mission, was it just me being a 13 year old kid or was it actually difficult?

I can't wait to play this so I can actually finish it this time around, and then finally playing the 2nd game.
The last missions, both the one against the final boss, as well as Rivals! as a bonus map if you unlocked it, can be absolutely brutal. The battle against the final boss can be significantly more difficult depending on the COs you end up with based on your actions in the campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

In my mind? I would be happy if the Advance Wars remake looked like the originals still do on my GBA, but sadly, it's a pretty big downgrade.

Is that me being shitty? Does it embarrass you?

Resetera, where your opinion on a game's art style and whether or not you'll buy a multibillion dollar company's gaming product constitutes a great moral failing.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like online is confirmed for this game. NoE put out a tweet about it. We don't know the full details though.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prayers have finally been answered. Not crazy about the art style but I'll take it.

Lyon N. Laap

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't believe that this game is coming out. Some of my fondest memories as a kid was sitting in the back of my friend's shop passing around a DS to each person as their turn came up in Dual Strike. Eventually getting my own copy, loving the Cos, and spending way too much time making custom maps.

Days of Ruin was a whiplash for younger me, but characters like Brenner's Wolves and Forsythe more than made up for the darker tone, and every now and then I whip out my 3DS and jump into a Free Battle, pick Isabella as my CO, and jam out. Also the War Room where the characters discuss tactics together, even with the person you're trying to defeat made for some great meta-entertainment in the otherwise dark story.

Never played the first two games, so I'm excited to get through them. Art style doesn't bother me at all.

Drblitzk

Dec 9, 2020
As much as I would prefer the game having pixel art, you just cant sell a game like that at 60 bucks, and I think the art style does a great job translating the originals.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't speak for them, but I'm embarrassed when people are shitty about something not looking the way they want it to in their mind and they act like it's a huge deal.
I'm embarrassed to be on the same forum as people like that.
I don't like the art style but I could live with it. What I'm not interested in is a wayforward game. Someone at Nintendo thought it was ok to pass this franchise off to wayforward then I'm ok with not buying it.

Worse part is that Nintendo will let them have an AW sequel if this sells well. The day that game comes out the chickens will have come home to roost and we'll see how you feel about it then.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the art style but I could live with it. What I'm not interested in is a wayforward game. Someone at Nintendo thought it was ok to pass this franchise off to wayforward then I'm ok with not buying it.

Worse part is that Nintendo will let them have an AW sequel if this sells well. The day that game comes out the chickens will have come home to roost and we'll see how you feel about it then.
Can't be worse than Intelligent Systems, surely.

Oct 25, 2017
It was quite a bit harder than any other mission in the game.
The last missions, both the one against the final boss, as well as Rivals! as a bonus map if you unlocked it, can be absolutely brutal. The battle against the final boss can be significantly more difficult depending on the COs you end up with based on your actions in the campaign.

I see, it makes sense that I found it to be impossible back in the day.

I hope that they don't mess with the difficulty unless it was unbalanced in some way.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Wayforward working here makes me wonder what Intelligent Systems is doing right now. Sure, they finished Paper Mario last year but they used to release games rather frequently and now they're being assisted by other studios like Koei Tecmo and Wayforward.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Wayforward working here makes me wonder what Intelligent Systems is doing right now. Sure, they finished Paper Mario last year but they used to release games rather frequently and now they're being assisted by other studios like Koei Tecmo and Wayforward.

WarioWare, co-developing some Fire Emblem game, and whatever the Paper Mario team is doing now I suppose.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

They have WarioWare releasing in a few months.

I wonder if Advance Wars sells well if there could be a new AW team at IS to develop new entries in the series.

Or if Nintendo would entrust WayForwad to make a new AW game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Hunh? Wayforward is a solid enough developer and have done some great sequels/spin-offs to existing series while respecting them(like RCG). I mean no way to know till it happens of course but they do good work and do great work with oversight. Even if they put their own twist on it they'd still respect the design style of the series

They have WarioWare releasing in a few months.

I wonder if Advance Wars sells well if there could be a new AW team at IS to develop new entries in the series.

Or if Nintendo would entrust WayForwad to make a new AW game.
I'm kinda wondering if Wayforward came to them instead of the other way around. Especially with how little presence the series has in Japan. And this is acting as a litmus test. I mean no way to know till someone asks

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda wondering if Wayforward came to them instead of the other way around. Especially with how little presence the series has in Japan. And this is acting as a litmus test. I mean no way to know till someone asks

I kind of hope that's not the case, because I prefer the idea of a Nintendo that is taking chances and going deep into their portfolio of IPs to bring back classics that people loved. It makes me hopeful about other franchises making a return, like Golden Sun.

Oct 8, 2019

This makes no sense.

If you want to play Advance Wars on the GBA then play Advance Wars on the GBA. Wayforward isnt busting down your house and stealing your cartridges.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I kind of hope that's not the case, because I prefer the idea of a Nintendo that is taking chances and going deep into their portfolio of IPs to bring back classics that people loved. It makes me hopeful about other franchises making a return, like Golden Sun.
I mean, like I said someone will hopefully ask and find out. The other possibility is Wayforward talked to Nintendo about doing a game together(or vice versa) and Nintendo decided to give to is a try thanks to the smash ballot

Jun 10, 2018
Yes, the art style of the reboot is legitimately worse than the originals.

It is also true, at least for me, the visuals of the original games factored very little in my enjoyment. The core gameplay of the AW series is the reason I poured over 1000 playtime hours into the original trilogy, and about another 200 into DoR. I will gladly spend $60 on a worse looking reboot I know I'll play obsessively, though I understand why others wouldn't.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This makes no sense.

If you want to play Advance Wars on the GBA then play Advance Wars on the GBA. Wayforward isnt busting down your house and stealing your cartridges.

Of course it makes sense. I a really big Advance Wars fan. I'm thrilled that any Advance Wars is getting a release in 2021.

I also happen to think that the remake looks significantly worse than the original GBA games. That's fine, isn't it? There's need for hyperbole.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the art direction. It captures the spirit of the originals, right down to the instantly recognizable color palette and scale. The units look like toys moving on a tabletop game. It's cute.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I LOVE Advance Wars. It is such a perfect portable game on 3DS. It was one of my favorite 3DS games. But honestly this game looks terrible. The graphics and animations and the overall depth to the game looks extremely underwhelming.

Why remaster this? The game concept is not too difficult to make. It's not like making another Final Fantasy 7. It's a tabletop game. Why doesn't Nintendo make a new Advance Wars for the Switch generation with a new story and more modern art style/graphics/better design. Just another example of Nintendo's history of providing little games on its consoles and relying on remasters.
It's outsourced and it's very easy to mess up with game balance in something like this, so they apparently just got the new developers to stick to the original game design. Also, AW is specifically an Intelligent Systems game, not just "Nintendo", but it's clear IS aren't interested in pushing the series, probably because it completely lost any relevancy in Japan (compare with Fire Emblem, which they always attempted to keep in production even during its weaker phases).

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Your goal posts seem to have shifted a little there.
What goal do you think I'm trying to achieve? Every post I've made here has just been to try and explain why so many people are disappointed in the new art style. Not that it's wrong, or bad, or anything, just that it's clearly a different style and when something you really like suddenly has a new style, it's (potentially) going to be disappointing, especially if you've waited so long to see more of something you liked. There are a lot of posters in here that seem confused about why anyone would be disappointed, or even how the art style is different.

It's the same reason people say "the book was better" after watching the movie adaptation- if you enjoy something, and then there's a new spin on it, there's a chance you're not gonna like it as much. That's all!

Oct 8, 2019
Of course it makes sense. I a really big Advance Wars fan. I'm thrilled that any Advance Wars is getting a release in 2021.

I also happen to think that the remake looks significantly worse than the original GBA games. That's fine, isn't it? There's need for hyperbole.

Why is there a need for hyperbole in a discussion? I love pixel art, I love 2D games, and I dont want to see that type of game be dominated by bad faith "All modern cartoons are Cal Arts" people.

Is your problem with the Advance War remake, or is your problem with the fact that companies like Sony and Nintendo only start porting things on consoles that are seen as disappointment.

Would I love if the Switch had a wide array of GBA games? Absolutely, but I am not going to take out my disappointment about not being able to play those games on Wayforward

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I see, it makes sense that I found it to be impossible back in the day.

I hope that they don't mess with the difficulty unless it was unbalanced in some way.
I was also 12~13 when I first played AW1 back on the GBA, and at first I couldn't see how that last level was supposed to be beaten. It is just overwhelming when compared to the rest of the game.

After a few tries, I understood that it was not a matter of finding the "perfect" moves, but of coming up with a good strategy that would allow me to properly survive early game. If you overcome this, the level at some point reaches a stalemate and you're golden. Whenever I got into this stalemate, it was a matter of patience until I was able to turn tables. As a kid it is just an incredible feel to win against all odds, few game other than AW nailed this sentiment for me.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What goal do you think I'm trying to achieve?
This

For those wondering why there's disappointment in the new art, at least on my end it's because the limited resolution of the pixel art is giving the player room to imagine details, to picture the units as being as cool and detailed as the COs are, but the higher resolution but low-detail 3D models are explicitly saying "no, there's actually nothing else going on here".
Is not the same argument as this

Although they maybe have similar proportions, they're completely different styles - one's anime, the other's Jimmy Neutron!

And while I certainly the latter is closer to true than the former, you only moved from " these details mean we can't imagine the units to be as cool as the COs" to "it's different though" when it was pointed out that we already knew what the units look like.

Hence me saying your goalposts seem to jave moved.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I think changing the AI would be out of scope for a project like this. It's difficult programming that requires a lot of testing and would probably change how quickly some maps can be completed.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
This

Is not the same argument as this

And while I certainly the latter is closer to true than the former, you only moved from " these details mean we can't imagine the units to be as cool as the COs" to "it's different though" when it was pointed out that we already knew what the units look like.

Hence me saying your goalposts seem to jave moved.
In the originals, the portraits use the same pixel art anime art style for both COs and units, in the remake the COs are a clean anime style and the units are very simple 3D models. I personally loved the pixel art. The pixel art at a low resolution lets me (me personally!) imagine the details and style on the units in the battlefield view to match the portraits, and the remake shows them in 3D, without those (imagined) details or style. I see the soldiers in the game board as, essentially, tiny anime characters with the same art style the rest of the game uses. The remake shows them as like, phong shader CG characters, not 2D anime. The shapes may be the same but in my eyes, the styles are different.

I don't really get your point though, are you saying that my ideas about why I'm disappointed are incorrect?

I'm not trying to convince anyone else of anything, just to explain my point of view! If you like the new style, that's awesome. I hope that this game brings new players in, and that Nintendo re-releases the older games, as they are, on the Switch. For us who are fans of the series but aren't a big fan of the new art style, there are really only two outcomes: either this game will be a success, which means future games will likely continue the new style, or it will fail, and we won't get any more AW games. If this remake had been in the same style, at least we would have gotten one more of the thing we like, the way we like it!