• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its definately a visual downgrade in art direction but this is it if this game doesn't sell this franchise is beyond dead.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This looks good for what it is and I'll embrace the new art style if it means more AW. I don't mind the 3D so much even though the original spritework is far superior.

However the one thing I don't like is the character portraits. 99% charm downgrade from the original portrait sprites.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Wow, I was so blown away by the fact that AW lives I completely didn't notice the graphics. I thought they were hand drawn sprites, and reading the comments here was very confusing. Looking at it now, yeah they look worse than the original in every way.

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
I am so happy to see Nintendo bring back this fantastic franchise. This was one of the all-time greatest series back in the day

Jan 29, 2018
Can't wait to play through the first two thirds of each campaign and then quit because they're too hard for me all over again.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
"Game footage not final" Fingers crossed for a decent final polish.

I hope to see the in game visual style match the awesome animated portraits. If not, finesse what's there, flip on the cel shade switch, for example, for a cohesive look.

Can't wait. I teared up.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks good. Since I cannot get into FE Three Houses due to the monastery shenanigans I hope this will scratch that turn based strategy itch.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
BOOO! I LOVE 3D models and cannot understand why there are hated here on Era. In fact, I think visible pixels are abomination and nothing but an useless nostalgia inducing aspect. Either hand drawn 2D art or 3D. Pixel art needs to die.

It's enthusiasts who are already on the defensive because the general population agrees with you. Sprites simply don't sell, but to really pretend the original advance wars anything like high end pixel art is, well, some rose tinted memory at the very least.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
You guys better buy this, this is 99% a test to see if there is enough interest for the series to continue lol. I'm going to get this for sure, even if it looks like a budget title.

Oct 27, 2017
Eshop says it's $60, hmmm. I really want this, but I haven't played them just the later games and FE. If it was physical no hesitation (Walmart for $10 off) but if it's digital only I will wait for sale

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Looks great to me, the toy like aesthetic of the models is an intentional callback to the series box and concept art since the original famicom games

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day one. So happy the series isn't dead.

I don't think it looks amazing or anything, but I like the art style okay.

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
Wish it looked like this
05985f26e6f245dfb9ee2e8c57198707.jpeg

Still day one though...

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
I like the unit models personally. The CO models are the ones that look a little off imo. Could be a bit more expressive in their neutral state.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im surprised people dont like the art style, regardless though, I am so thrilled. I love this franchise and I hope this lets a bunch of people experience this awesome series

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
There was something really special about the dissonance of the ridiculous anime characters and the harder edge of the pixel art of all the units, but I'll take whatever Advance Wars I can get. Everyone please buy this so they can remake Dual Strike.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Okay, having watched the video again I don't hate the visual style as much. And having the CO Power splash screens be animated is a nice touch.

Looking forward to winning the "unwinnable" tutorial mission in AW1 all over again.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the original but I heard *a lot* about it back in the day and.... The art style is pretty much the same ? I mean seriously:

latest

What am I missing? This seems like another Links Awakening va remake scenario where people have odd expectations about the actual original artstyle of these games.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
You guys better buy this, this is 99% a test to see if there is enough interest for the series to continue lol. I'm going to get this for sure, even if it looks like a budget title.
I'll be kinda frank. It's destined to fail. Keep things close to the original to draw in people with hazy, but comforting memories of 15 years ago; while changing enough things to get purists upset. Then don't include modern features that would be natural extensions of the original--until they say this has online play, I'm assuming it doesn't. Then to top it off, price it as a full game, when I could go onto the Wii U shop and get the originals for $19.98+tax. I'm guessing people will buy it, but it won't hit sales numbers(for quite frankly valid reasons), and the corpse of the series will be thrown in the dumpster so Intelligent Systems can print more money through Fire Emblem.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the toy soldier style since I immediately figured out that was what they were going for, but the 2D art is a bit wonky Live2D stuff.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
No mention of war rooms. That would be so typical wouldn't it

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I never played the original but I heard *a lot* about it back in the day and.... The art style is pretty much the same ? I mean seriously:

latest

What am I missing? This seems like another Links Awakening va remake scenario where people have odd expectations about the actual original artstyle of these games.

The character art looks fine (good even). It's the map/unit in-game art that people don't like.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the original but I heard *a lot* about it back in the day and.... The art style is pretty much the same ?
Not really, they are different, mostly referring to the models and such. Just compare it to the originals during gameplay. I don't mean that as criticism but more of there being a clear difference. One uses sprites and the new one has that more 3D model look to it.

I love the look of the Link's Awakening remake BTW. It's just that with this game, I prefer the original look and animations.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I know the art style is hit or miss for a lot of people, but I think it looks great. It's ultimately the gameplay that will matter and I'm sure it'll be on point. Let's all just be greatful that this series is rising from the dead.

Now if we could just get F-zero to pull a resurrection, then I would be complete.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I notice they're using the wide-brimmed hat design Grit had on the Japanese version of AW1 on the trailer.

AW_grit_japan.png
AW_grit_usa.png

Advance Wars 1 changed a lot of of the CO designs when it came out to the west. In this trailer, all the modfied CO's were based on their international release designs. I wonder if Japanese players will get Santa Claus Olaf.
AW_nell_japan.png
AW_nell_usa.png

AW_olaf_japan.png
AW_olaf_usa.png

AW_kanbei_japan.png
AW_kanbei_usa.png

AW_drake_japan.png
AW_drake_usa.png

AW_sonja_japan.png
AW_sonja_usa.png

Wide brimmed Grit eventually becomes the staple design in Dual Strikes but Drake never wears a pirate outfit in any of the Japanese versions of the sequels.

Last edited:

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I love the old pixel art style, but the new one is still a good one -I like the look of the vehicles. It's different, a bit weird, but I didn't find it ugly.

I notice they're using the wide-brimmed hat design Grit had on the Japanese version of AW1 on the trailer.

Advance Wars 1 changed a lot of of the CO designs when it came out to the west. In this trailer, all the modfied CO's were based on their international release designs. I wonder if Japanese players will get Santa Claus Olaf.

Wide brimmed Grit eventually becomes the staple design in Dual Strikes but Drake never wears a pirate outfit in any of the Japanese versions of the sequels.
With the exception of Grit, I always liked the western redesign more.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

Some of them are trolls. Some of them barely remember the original two AW games because they had sparse animations. The reaction mugs were a few frames repeated. The COP wasn't animated. Eyes didn't blink.

The only thing that has some merit is that the colours and shading look a bit off on the portraits and units. On the other hand, these are HD images and the GBA games needed a bigger contrast because of the lack of screen lighting at the time.

13A_fighters2.gif

20210615_204444vwj9a.jpg