• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I'm not sure what's to gain to the majority who bash climate change activists and efforts... why???

For Republicans / Conservatives it is literally just to appease the base of people who make their money off of exploiting the planet. Gaining a few years of power > making a better world. For the workers and voters who vote them in? Fear of having to change their lives I am guessing. Also the age old, "fuck you got mine", mentality. Then there is the age old, if my neighbour doesn't do it, why do I have to? And what good will it do if everyone doesn't?

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really weird people are painting murals and giving her all these trophies too. Like they're trying to paint her as the white savior of climate change. Just stop the fixative creepin' on little girls.

Talk to anyone who grew up in certain kinds of conservative households and it might help explain why these people are absolutely furious at Greta Thunberg for existing.

The sort of things being said about Greta are no different from what plenty of conservative and authoritarian parents slander their own children with if they dare step out of line and express the slightest opinion that goes against the Official Position of The Family.

We just don't often see these things expressed in public, on national media channels. But if nothing else, it is illuminating.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
also idk I kind of think it's good that some of you find her "annoying" or don't like being "lectured by a child". She's challenging your world view and if that makes you uncomfortable and or upset, that's on you to learn and hopefully change. Hope she keeps on "annoying" people, there should be no limits on who can try to right the world.

...except for going by the moniker "Meat Loaf"

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I love that she lives rent free in all these RWAs heads. I hate that she has to. The kid should get to be a kid without having to worry about adults ruining the planet.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
My take is that I agree with her sentiment but wish she wasn't in the public eye so much, can't be good for her personally. Hope she isn't reading a lot of the internet negativity all the time. Wouldn't be good for any kid, i would imagine it being similar to child actors etc

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Criticizing a child is one thing, but even worse they paint her out to be non-human, like some sort of weird Liberal Cyborg Experiment Baby that was concocted to anger the Right.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Talk to anyone who grew up in certain kinds of conservative households and it might help explain why these people are absolutely furious at Greta Thunberg for existing.

The sort of things being said about Greta are no different from what plenty of conservative and authoritarian parents slander their own children with if they dare step out of line and express the slightest opinion that goes against the Official Position of The Family

That's a hallmark of conservative authoritarian households. Children need to be obedient to their parents above all else.

My childhood in a nutshell.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
5vvpeIE.jpg

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The sort of things being said about Greta are no different from what plenty of conservative and authoritarian parents slander their own children with if they dare step out of line and express the slightest opinion that goes against the Official Position of The Family.

We just don't often see these things expressed in public, on national media channels. But if nothing else, it is illuminating.
That's fucking scary but I think you're right.

Soros?

You're aware that theres probably thousands of teenagers if not more, on Youtube/Social media all with the same message/passion/fear?

I mean, they have meetings.

This is the same shit those Parkland kids went through.

Its a sad take home. Subject considered and all... Who is benefiting from this? A prop for what?
no, children are too stupid to understand that dying is bad

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
For many people I imagine it is mentally and emotionally easier to deny climate change and try to undermine an activist teenager than face up to the implication and guilt that they may have contributed in any way to the problem at hand through their actions or inaction e.g. "If Greta is just a crazy unhinged teenager, then I'm not responsible for anything".

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

this x 1000

The right thinks kids should only speak up when it's about how much they love guns, or during bible study, or at abortion clinic protests. They absolutely shouldn't be running around ADVOCATING FOR THE FUTURE OF THE FUCKING PLANET. That's petulant and insolent and procacious how dare she ask "how dare they"?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This is the kind of political advocacy The Right thinks children should be involved in:

maga-c6ec.gif

4620958-3x2-940x627.jpg

1325868442-god_hates_fags-400x273.jpg

Mocking indigenous folks, gay people, and women is infinitely more important to them than making the planet livable for future generations.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
People who are actively against reducing the carbon footprint of our planet are a special kind of stupid.

Greta is revolutionary for sticking to her guns despite so many figures being actively against her or making a mockery of her. She'll be in the history books.

Work with a co-worker who hates her. Not really sure why. He denies climate change. He isn't even close to rich or wealthy. Maybe middle class. Its not like he has a stake in oil.

But he hates her. Like he has a daughter the same age too.

Don't even get it.

Maybe it's a age related superiority complex? Some cultures have the whole "the elder knows more than you" and here is Greta Thunberg contradicting that tradition with her facts about climate change.

May 13, 2019
This is the kind of political advocacy The Right thinks children should be involved in:

maga-c6ec.gif

Mocking indigenous folks, gay people, and women is infinitely more important to them than making the planet livable for future generations.
TIL that a judge allowed Nicholas Sandmann, the MAGA hat kid on the gif, to continue his defamation suit against NBC despite dismissing a prior lawsuit against CNN earlier.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You talk like being an "adult" means anything these days. It's not like these people become any more intelligent or wise with age, they just become more stubborn and hateful.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't supposed to be about Greta.

This. And this is what Greta ultimately been messaging herself over and over and people missing the point, it's not about her. People want to make it about Greta and ignoring the far more bigger issue at stake here, the message is about how fucked up our climate is.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
People who are actively against reducing the carbon footprint of our planet are a special kind of stupid.

Greta is revolutionary for sticking to her guns despite so many figures being actively against her or making a mockery of her. She'll be in the history books.

Maybe it's a age related superiority complex? Some cultures have the whole "the elder knows more than you" and here is Greta Thunberg contradicting that tradition with her facts about climate change.
Oh he is definitely someone who says this generation sucks.

This is a guy who only pays cash cause he can't be bothered to learn how to use e-transfer or tap.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This isn't supposed to be about Greta.
This. And this is what Greta ultimately been messaging herself over and over and people missing the point, it's not about her. People want to make it about Greta and ignoring the far more bigger issue at stake here, the message is about how fucked up our climate is.
I'm not sure what the point of posts like these is. Whether she likes it or not, she is known as one most effective climate advocates. She has a signature delivery and numerous high profile interactions in order to make the message heard. That's fine to discuss.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Why is there a correlation between morons who deny climate change, hate on people like Greta, and also support things like Trump and Brexit and probably believe antivaxers.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Gotta say one of the weirdest things of 2019 and now 2020 is seeing a bunch of old people attempting and failing to dunk on a child for insinuating we aren't doing enough to save our planet.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I agree with her message, its just that since she's a child, its hard to take her serious.

Once you get into the the real world of being an adult you start to understand that nothing is black/white and issues that seemed very simple, suddenly arent like that.

Oct 27, 2017
People are right to go after the people attacking her but it was inevitable that they would, there's a reason "Don't shoot the messenger" is a common phrase all over the world.

Messengers tend to get shot.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I mean, I agree with her message, its just that since she's a child, its hard to take her serious.

Once you get into the the real world of being an adult you start to understand that nothing is black/white and issues that seemed very simple, suddenly arent like that.

what is not black and white in regards to climate change?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Why is there a correlation between morons who deny climate change, hate on people like Greta, and also support things like Trump and Brexit and probably believe antivaxers.

you answered your own question. they're morons.

what is "black/white" about climate change?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

Climate Scientists for ~ 30 Years in a myriad of Papers: "Do x, y, z to improve global climate and save the planet"
Greta: "Listen to the Climate Scientists and their Ideas"
Public: "What does a Child know? LOL"

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
what is not black and white in regards to climate change?

Climate change is bad, we can all agree with that.
We should reduce how much we pollute/exploit natural resources of course.

The problem is that many poor countries have economies that are directly dependant on exploiting natural resource, and its usually the poorest citizens of those countries the ones getting work there.

Most countries have laws that force companies to reduce how much they pollute or to compensate the zones affected by it, but they will always make the situation worse.

Rigt now, my country is in a economical and financial crisis because of the protests (Chile), and we weill be reaching record record high unemployment, and construction of this kind of projects will be a key part of keeping the economy in some places.

OF course its easy to say "lets just close down all those factories and stop projects that pollute" and ignore that it means thousands of families going into poverty.

So, no, its NEVER that easy.

It reminds me when I was a kid and I saw "Liar Liar" and thought the protagonist was a bad guy for missing his child birthday because of work. Then a coworker had to do the same becasue we were on the deadline of a project and months of work of around 50 people depended on him being there that day.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
the facts that:

-Its largely anthropogenic (man caused)

-exacerbated by emissions including C02

-is currently avoidable but in the next couple of decades it will become beyond our ability to mitigate at least with current tech.

i meant to say "what isn't black and white" about climate change because it is so obvious what the causes are.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Climate change is bad, we can all agree with that.
We should reduce how much we pollute/exploit natural resources of course.

The problem is that many poor countries have economies that are directly dependant on exploiting natural resource, and its usually the poorest citizens of those countries the ones getting work there.

Most countries have laws that force companies to reduce how much they pollute or to compensate the zones affected by it, but they will always make the situation worse.

Rigt now, my country is in a economical and financial crisis because of the protests (Chile), and we weill be reaching record record high unemployment, and construction of this kind of projects will be a key part of keeping the economy in some places.

OF course its easy to say "lets just close down all those factories and stop projects that pollute" and ignore that it means thousands of families going into poverty.

So, no, its NEVER that easy.

greta isn't going to visit these kinds of countries and telling them off. She's going to the USA and that's why American hatemongers and morons are ragging on her. Climate change is bad is also dishonest because that isn't the message. The message is, cut your emissions and get serious or your new developments and jobs will be either burning or underwater no matter where you live in the globe.