• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Adolf Hitler wins election - 2020 keeps on giving

Adolf Hitler Uunona has been elected with 85 percent of the vote for a seat on the regional council in the former German colony, where street names, people and places still have German names. However, Adolf Uunona as he prefers himself to be known, says he wants to assure people that he has no...

OP
OP
Stacey

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020

Antonymous

Dec 20, 2018
The real question is what the hell were his parents thinking when naming him? Can't hold it against him if that's his birth name.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not nefarious. If you read Trevor Noah's book (Born a Crime) you'll find out why someone might be named Hitler.

www.israelnationalnews.com

Trevor Noah Has a Friend Named Hitler

In Daily Show podcast from earlier this year, new host Trevor Noah reveals he has a South African friend named after brutal Nazi leader.
In a Daily Show podcast earlier this year, Mediaite reported, Noah casually mentioned to one of the show's writers, Dan Amira, that he had a friend named Hitler, interrupting a discussion of how South Africans view America.

Taken aback, Amira asked the comedian: "What do you mean your 'friend Hitler?'"

"This is not a nickname. We don't call him, 'AKA Hitler. His name is Hitler," Noah explained, before describing his friend as a "very good-looking, young black man, charismatic" with a "great smile."

"Why on earth would a mother name her child Hitler?" Amira asked him. "What kind of mother would do that?"

"Well, Hitler's mom did it," Noah said, adding that he "never questioned" the name until he traveled outside of South Africa and realized the hugely negative connotation the name has.

"In many parts of Africa… people would name their children after great leaders," Noah said, emphasizing that "great" does not necessarily mean "good," but rather someone who has "really changed the world."

"Hitler was so big that he forced white South Africans, who at the time were racist, to ask black South Africans to go to war with them to help fight," Noah added.

And for blacks, he explained, there is a feeling, "who is it that scares the man who oppresses me? Who's that dude? Because that's the guy I want to meet."

"It's perspective," Noah said. "It's such a delicate thing that we have to deal with in comedy and everything."

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
"Hitler was so big that he forced white South Africans, who at the time were racist, to ask black South Africans to go to war with them to help fight," Noah added.

And for blacks, he explained, there is a feeling, "who is it that scares the man who oppresses me? Who's that dude? Because that's the guy I want to meet."

"It's perspective," Noah said. "It's such a delicate thing that we have to deal with in comedy and everything."

I get it, in that case. I mean, these horrible racist people that mistreated you were scared of someone called "Hitler". I see why the name may have been passed on. Obviously the rest of the context would probably be lost on those people.

I think I'd change my name, or go by something else once I grew up and understood all the logistics though.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

I get it, in that case. I mean, these horrible racist people that mistreated you were scared of someone called "Hitler". I see why the name may have been passed on. Obviously the rest of the context would probably be lost on those people.

I think I'd change my name, or go by something else once I grew up and understood all the logistics though.

Yeah context is important I suppose.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
man these 2020 headlines are still getting nuttier and nuttier.

joking aside, very interesting history behind the name.. i had completely forgot Namibia was even a German colony.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Adolf Hitler wins election - 2020 keeps on giving

Adolf Hitler Uunona has been elected with 85 percent of the vote for a seat on the regional council in the former German colony, where street names, people and places still have German names. However, Adolf Uunona as he prefers himself to be known, says he wants to assure people that he has no...

Status
Not open for further replies.