• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
Aight. Going to buy Affinity and start learning it tomorrow then. I'm cool with learning new software. I already pay you monthly for illustrator and Indesign, Adobe. You don't need anymore of my dollars.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most professionals have fees or costs associated with their work. This price hike will only affect people that are starting out. With that said, there are alternatives.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of this Adobe $20/1TB plan thing. It's been coming up repeatedly over the last 6-8 months, and the death of the $10 plan is always immediately debunked. I'm more than a little sure the photography rumor blogs are somehow coordinating on this, as they immediately link to other products like Luminar, Affinity, and Capture One with referral codes the moment the story breaks for the umpteenth time.

Wake me up when Adobe ACTUALLY GETS RID of the $10 a month plan. I can tell you, even as a lowly hobbyist, the LR/PS bundle for $10/month is a STEAL for me personally. PS had been relegated to the full Creative Cloud suite which was hundreds of bucks a year previously.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so tired of this Adobe $20/1TB plan thing. It's been coming up repeatedly over the last 6-8 months, and the death of the $10 plan is always immediately debunked. I'm more than a little sure the photography rumor blogs are somehow coordinating on this, as they immediately link to other products like Luminar, Affinity, and Capture One with referral codes the moment the story breaks for the umpteenth time.

Wake me up when Adobe ACTUALLY GETS RID of the $10 a month plan. I can tell you, even as a lowly hobbyist, the LR/PS bundle for $10/month is a STEAL for me personally. PS had been relegated to the full Creative Cloud suite which was hundreds of bucks a year previously.

I think someone posted in here that the rumor is PS for iPad will be announced (or the release date at least) on May 9th.

If they don't change the plans at that point I don't see it happening. I wouldn't surprised with your first point about photoblogs using this to score referrals.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Aight. Going to buy Affinity and start learning it tomorrow then. I'm cool with learning new software. I already pay you monthly for illustrator and Indesign, Adobe. You don't need anymore of my dollars.

I'm confused here. If you pay them monthly for Illustrator and InDesign, then you're paying ~$42 a month because they don't have a bundle with both of those apps as far as I'm aware. So...if that's the case, why not just upgrade to the full suite for just $10 more?

I see your point, but I guess I'm thinking of it from a software perspective.

Unreal Engine is free to use and you can even make money on anything developed with it up to a certain amount before you owe a penny. Unity is free up to a certain level too. VS Code is completely free.

I'm not expecting Adobe to offer CC for free, but I don't see why they can't extend education pricing to anyone if it's for non-commercial use or up to a certain level of revenue.

This I can kind of agree with, in that it would be great if Adobe offered something similar to skillshare where in users paid an amount of money to get classes for the Creative Cloud which included access to the software for the duration of the course.

I think someone posted in here that the rumor is PS for iPad will be announced (or the release date at least) on May 9th.

If they don't change the plans at that point I don't see it happening. I wouldn't surprised with your first point about photoblogs using this to score referrals.

I'm extremely doubtful that Photoshop on iPad will have a solid release date announced next week. Maybe a release target (i.e. Q3 2019), but a hard date...I don't see it. I'm in the pre-release program for both Photoshop and Project Gemini, and that's all I can say about that.

Last edited:

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
*Cries in Adobe CC*

I really wish Adobe would parse out plans based on what you need. $10 a month for just Photoshop and add like $5 for each additional program you need. I hate paying so much when I really only use 1-2 programs in general everyday use but then i need maybe 4 max.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately this only further proves how software-as-a-service is a worse deal for the consumer, because there are no legal frameworks in place to protect consumers from unreasonable increases in price.

Last edited:

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
*Cries in Adobe CC*

I really wish Adobe would parse out plans based on what you need. $10 a month for just Photoshop and add like $5 for each additional program you need. I hate paying so much when I really only use 1-2 programs in general everyday use but then i need maybe 4 max.

If that were the case, then the 4 max programs would cost you $40 a month, in which case you could just upgrade to the full plan for an additional $12 and a lot more creative / business potential. The full CC suite is a really big value.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused here. If you pay them monthly for Illustrator and InDesign, then you're paying ~$42 a month because they don't have a bundle with both of those apps as far as I'm aware. So...if that's the case, why not just upgrade to the full suite for just $10 more?

Because I'd rather pay the one time charge for Affinity then fork over ten more dollars to Adobe. To boot, I may start looking for alternatives for Indesign as well just to save more money.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
well Adobe is the boss. They feel like they deserve a bigger cut of our graphics business, who are we to decide? industry standards and all.

of course the business standards (and product quality) get fucked up when people start slipping under them with free or cheap alternatives to save money, but don't tell their collaborators. but that's not Adobe's problem.

They call it the free market, but I guess that's because we're the ones who have to pay for it

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
So if push comes to shove, what is the best competitor to Lightroom right now? And more importantly, can any of them import my Lightroom catalog to some capacity? I'm not gonna start over from scratch, no way.

I used On1 for a while but ended up with darktable because I'm not sure wth I was paying for. darktable does what I need it to do for the most part and is free. When my camera's auto denoise profile wasn't supported initially, I just created one following their process and uploaded to their database. The same could be done with lenses.

Anyhow, every program treats pixel pipeline differently (i.e. clarity in LR may not be exactly the same as clarity in other program) so even if you export all the sidecards from Lightroom, other programs will either only support a subset of it during import or the result won't be exactly the same as it is in Lightroom. The 100% way to preserve what you did in LR is to export everything out as TIF or something lossless and use that as the new base for whatever the new program you decide to move to.

I am keeping my LR6 around for the work I have already done. Speaking of which, MAP module stopped working in that thing because Adobe's google map key expired. You would need to hack it to get it working again.

Last edited:

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Because I'd rather pay the one time charge for Affinity then fork over ten more dollars to Adobe. To boot, I may start looking for alternatives for Indesign as well just to save more money.

Okay so are you using these professionally or as a hobby? I'm just trying to understand why you're forking over nearly the cost of the entire Creative Cloud for two apps, and asking for a piece meal system that would literally cost more than the entire CC subscription does at present. Like, if you're using these things professionally to make money, there is zero sense in paying for Illustrator and InDesign separately, because you get considerably increased productivity and capability in purchasing the entire suite for just $12 more.

If you're creating documents in InDesign for a client, then the CC allows you to send them digital proofs via Adobe Document Cloud where they can comment and review without having to download any Software, and you have the ability to manipulate photos as needed (converting to RGB, CMYK, etc)...I guess I just need clarification on what you personally use those apps for, because it sounds a lot like you're paying more money for less functionality, when $12 would net you considerably more efficiency as well potential profitability.

I'm all for hobbyists saving money and using alternative programs, I think that's a great solution to still have your creative outlet. It just doesn't sound like you're in this as a hobby (not many hobbies revolve around editorial layout or vector illustration) so I'm trying to piece together your situation.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
*Cries in Adobe CC*

Get the student discount, is super easy and straightforward to get, it will cost you $20 monthly the first year, and $30 after that, but gives you access to the whole suite, and also don't underestimate that also you get access to thousands of fonts and tutorials

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If that were the case, then the 4 max programs would cost you $40 a month, in which case you could just upgrade to the full plan for an additional $12 and a lot more creative / business potential. The full CC suite is a really big value.
What the fuck is this?

"It's already more than I'd like to spend, if they raise the price I'm going to look for alternatives."
WHY NOT sPenD EveN mORE MOneY? iT'S bEttEr VaLUE!!

I don't know if it's a complete lack of self awareness on your part, but this is how you come across any time the Adobe subscriptions are brought up on this forum:

I'm in the pre-release program for both Photoshop and Project Gemini, and that's all I can say about that.
[…] there is zero sense in paying for Illustrator and InDesign separately, because you get considerably increased productivity and capability in purchasing the entire suite for just $12 more.

If you're creating documents in InDesign for a client, then the CC allows you to send them digital proofs via Adobe Document Cloud where they can comment and review without having to download any Software, and you have the ability to manipulate photos as needed (converting to RGB, CMYK, etc)...I guess I just need clarification on what you personally use those apps for, because it sounds a lot like you're paying more money for less functionality, when $12 would net you considerably more efficiency as well potential profitability.
Is your real job being an Adobe sales person?

Oct 26, 2017
California
Terrible. I'd rather go back to an older version with a set price and no subscription that is no longer supported than re-subscribe at this price. Might try to find CS3 for a few hundred or just find an alternative.
Yep.

I use Illustrator, Photoshop, and After Effects. No way I'm subbing. CC 2014 still going very strong on my 2015 iMac.

Other than AE rendering speed chugging :X

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What the fuck is this?

"It's already more than I'd like to spend, if they raise the price I'm going to look for alternatives."
WHY NOT sPenD EveN mORE MOneY? iT'S bEttEr VaLUE!!

I don't know if it's a complete lack of self awareness on your part, but this is how you come across any time the Adobe subscriptions are brought up on this forum:

Is your real job being an Adobe sales person?

Is your real hobby being a dick on the internet?

I mean you cherry picked a lot of my posts, ignored where I said "I encourage hobbyists to find alternatives" and said that professionals shouldn't be paying for programs ala carte because it's really expensive. My bad?

I'm a full time graphic designer who built a career from literally scratch (college drop out [not by choice], no degree). So when I see other people saying they're spending $40 a month on two programs, I'm trying to encourage them to take advantage of the full suite, especially if they say they're scrapping by. There's a shit ton of money to be made out there in the design world, so if you're a professional designer (or aspiring) it makes complete sense to jump into the full suite and start learning it all. Especially at a time when literally every professional design job damn near requires you to be proficient in the entire suite (at a minimum every job I apply for asks for experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects and Premiere). No one is hiring a "photoshop expert".

So why don't you maybe take a chill pill and relax before you decide to jump in someone's shit like a fucking doofus. I'm literally just offering professional advice to people who seem to apparently be professionals or aspiring professionals. The industry has changed and designers absolutely need to be multifaceted, so getting one or two programs doesn't make any sense for professionals.

Go elsewhere if you want to accuse people of astroturfing or being a shill. I'm just trying to have a discussion with people who seem to have their head in the wrong space if they want to be in the design world. No corporations or creative agencies are hiring people with "Affinity Designer experience". Those are hobbyist tools (and that's fine).

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Get the student discount, is super easy and straightforward to get, it will cost you $20 monthly the first year, and $30 after that, but gives you access to the whole suite, and also don't underestimate that also you get access to thousands of fonts and tutorials
Yep, I was grinding on the student discount all through college. I've been out for 2 years now, and late last year they were like "oh we bet you have LOTS of money around after graduating" and bumped me all the way up to the $50 some a year.

I mean, I love Adobe's stuff, but the price per year is kind of sickening to me.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for hobbyists saving money and using alternative programs, I think that's a great solution to still have your creative outlet. It just doesn't sound like you're in this as a hobby (not many hobbies revolve around editorial layout or vector illustration) so I'm trying to piece together your situation.

A hobby, but I am looking to move from my current profession to UI design. I've been learning how to use illustrator, indesign, XD, and photoshop for about four months now and once I have my portfolio done, I'll make that leap. And yeah I hear you; literally every designer I spoke to suggested I learn as much as I can in the adobe suite.

I just would like to see how Affinity measures up. If it ends up being worth while, I'll save some money. If not, I'll switch back.

Oct 25, 2017
A hobby, but I am looking to move from my current profession to UI design. I've been learning how to use illustrator, indesign, XD, and photoshop for about four months now and once I have my portfolio done, I'll make that leap. And yeah I hear you; literally every designer I spoke to suggested I learn as much as I can in the adobe suite.

I just would like to see how Affinity measures up. If it ends up being worth while, I'll save some money. If not, I'll switch back.

I know Sketch has a free trial, and I think InVision Studio is still free.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I use Affinity Designer on my iPad and it's really fantastic, especially considering the price. It allows me to sketch up in Procreate, move over to Affinity, and then make my final changes in Illustrator before I deliver to a client. Having a mobile work flow is incredible.

Do you tune into the Adobe XD live streams? They have a ton of industry professionals on really regularly who are doing design specifically between Illustrator and XD, and seeing their workflow & tips is really enlightening. I'm trying to break into UI / UX design myself, but I know so little and have so little experience in that particular field, it's pretty tough.

I'd definitely recommend Affinity Designer as a cheap alternative in the mean time. I'm not sure how experienced you are, but the pen tool is effectively the exact same, so getting used to manipulating those bezier curves is clutch. You should jump into the Graphic Design thread if you aren't already following it so you can keep us posted or ask for some portfolio reviews. They're incredibly helpful.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
I use Affinity Designer on my iPad and it's really fantastic, especially considering the price. It allows me to sketch up in Procreate, move over to Affinity, and then make my final changes in Illustrator before I deliver to a client. Having a mobile work flow is incredible.

Do you tune into the Adobe XD live streams? They have a ton of industry professionals on really regularly who are doing design specifically between Illustrator and XD, and seeing their workflow & tips is really enlightening. I'm trying to break into UI / UX design myself, but I know so little and have so little experience in that particular field, it's pretty tough.

I'd definitely recommend Affinity Designer as a cheap alternative in the mean time. I'm not sure how experienced you are, but the pen tool is effectively the exact same, so getting used to manipulating those bezier curves is clutch. You should jump into the Graphic Design thread if you aren't already following it so you can keep us posted or ask for some portfolio reviews. They're incredibly helpful.

Oh god, I hate the pen tool. Like really, really, hate it. hah. I do need to get better at it though, so I'm glad it'll at least be same. And no, I don't look at the live streams. But I will definitely start... I just need to make the time for it.

And I am new to the field, so I'll be starting at the bottom again but that's okay. I spend a good amount time after work sketching wireframes and putting together art boards that I think it can be worth the look. I wouldn't be doing this if I couldn't prove to myself that I have a passion for it and I just don't have the same passion with what I am doing now.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Where do you watch these live streams? I'm only on PS+LR plan now but I know a lot of other apps a bit (AE, PP, ID) and wouldn't mind learning more. Particularly Character Animator.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Oh god, I hate the pen tool. Like really, really, hate it. hah. I do need to get better at it though, so I'm glad it'll at least be same. And no, I don't look at the live streams. But I will definitely start... I just need to make the time for it.

And I am new to the field, so I'll be starting at the bottom again but that's okay. I spend a good amount time after work sketching wireframes and putting together art boards that I think it can be worth the look. I wouldn't be doing this if I couldn't prove to myself that I have a passion for it and I just don't have the same passion with what I am doing now.

You'll love this resource, it can help quite a bit for mastering the pen tool (and it's kind of fun): https://bezier.method.ac/

Where do you watch these live streams? I'm only on PS+LR plan now but I know a lot of other apps a bit (AE, PP, ID) and wouldn't mind learning more. Particularly Character Animator.

Adobe's Creative Cloud YouTube channel, or via Behance.net/live (I usually watch through YouTube, but I believe they only take questions through the Behance chat).

This is their general Creative Cloud channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AdobeCreativeCloud

For Character Animator, I'd follow Okay Samurai, he's the "face" of the program and has a TON of resources on his YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/okaysamurai/videos

Good luck!

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Holy shit, that is awesome. Thank you.

It's my pleasure. Really, I was in your exact same shoes 4 years ago, for the most part. With some time & hunger for knowledge, learning most of the Creative Cloud is fucking easy (mostly because all of the resources you need to do so are readily available online for free). The "creative" part is what's really hard, haha. Utilizing the software though, that just takes time. Again, good luck, and feel free to reach out if you ever need some more resources or something similar. I can't promise I can help, but I can probably help find what you need.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Advocating piracy and previous infractions
Time to pirate, already gonna torrent Maya when my student trial runs out

Subscriptions are evil so i actually view doing this as morally good, its like robin hood or some shit

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
It's my pleasure. Really, I was in your exact same shoes 4 years ago, for the most part. With some time & hunger for knowledge, learning most of the Creative Cloud is fucking easy (mostly because all of the resources you need to do so are readily available online for free). The "creative" part is what's really hard, haha. Utilizing the software though, that just takes time. Again, good luck, and feel free to reach out if you ever need some more resources or something similar. I can't promise I can help, but I can probably help find what you need.

Oh I will if I have any other questions. Like seriously, you just cleared my Sunday afternoon. I am going to be spending hours on this. And I will be posting my portfolio once I am done in the graphics thread. I just need to figure out what I am going to put in it first. Thanks again.

Oct 26, 2017
California
I feel like if you are going pro or serious, it's not a steep fee, especially since $50/month will get you the tools for everything and it's continually updated. I'd consider it like a professional fee or something.

I don't like subscription services so I do own a copy of CS6 that I keep around (and also Clip Studio Paint). BUT I am tempted (them fixing the Photoshop brush strokes and Kyle's brushsets). If/when I feel like getting more serious about art, I may make the swtch to CC.

Actually, I wonder how the cheaper alternative from Corel is these days: Paint Shop Pro.
https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/ultimate/#compare-ps

I still regularly use the REALLY jank version, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 (before Corel bought them out) for fast editing.
I used to use Jasc PSP to make sports wallpapers back in the early 2000s. All my friends were on Photoshop, but there I was on PSP trying to keep up. Fun times.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Time to pirate, already gonna torrent Maya when my student trial runs out

Subscriptions are evil so i actually view doing this as morally good, its like robin hood or some shit

Yes, Robin Hood. He who stole from the rich, and kept for his own personal gain.

Maybe if you can't afford it or don't make money on it, instead of stealing, just get a cheaper or free alternative. There are plenty available. You know, as an alternative to publicly announcing to everyone that you're engaging in illegal behavior. :P

Blender might be a good start.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I used to use Jasc PSP to make sports wallpapers back in the early 2000s. All my friends were on Photoshop, but there I was on PSP trying to keep up. Fun times.

I know you mean Paint Shop, but you just made me nostalgic lol, I started, hmmm, using "alternative" methods to get Photoshop back in 2007 just because I wanted to make my own wallpapers for the PSP, I got frustrated for months because I had no idea what I was doing but eventually learned

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this trend. Am I seriously unable to buy a single "version" of Lightroom these days? I'm still on the last version I was able to buy outright on its own.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
btw, the main problem with SaaS is that usually you don't pay just for one product. So, $20 here, $20 there, and in the result you're paying like 150~300 USD per month just for tools and services that you need for work.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
This price increase probably sucks for hobbyists, but as a professional designer, I think people poopooing the subscription model are really being daft. Not only has it allowed Adobe to rapidly increase the pace at which their software improves, but it also opened up additional design avenues that I never would have thought to pursue (animation, video editing, audio mastering, etc). Throw in the extremely generous font offerings, cloud storage space, and free adobe market place offerings...the subscription model really isn't that bad.

Remember that it's meant for professionals who are making money off of the software, not hobbyists creating web banners for discussion forums.
Their software improvements are okay at best and honestly there are TIERS to professional artists and users. The vast majority of highly talented, professional , artists and photographers only use a good 15% of what Photoshop offers for 90% of the work. This includes companies where they hire Illustrators and Graphic Designers to simply be really good at Paint, Lasso, Clone and Pen tools.
Very few artists and studios comparatively are the ride or die Adobe Suite users and you know that.
Adobe credits its household name and brand power on the backs of single users and simple companies passing the word around.
The fact that the price hikes are causing increasing anger and controversy is clear that Adobe doesnt do nearly enough for the Cloud money their users are paying. Plugging your ears and dismissing this as hobbyists and low tier ramen artists not wanting to 'pay a fair price'is typical of the average Adobe die-hard.
Maybe they should save that money to actually make features and improvements the average user gives a shit about instead of buying up companies to gut and kill 2 years later.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Hassle-free and instantaneous horizontal flipping (regardless of canvas size), multi-layer transformation, draggable perspective rulers, dedicated screen tone controls, automatic panel masks...

If you know how to easily replicate these in Photoshop, let me know.
Not sure about what you mean by horizontal flipping, cos PS can also flip canvas regardless of size? I just put a shortcut on flipping canvas horizontally.

Multi layer transformation: hmmm u mean reducing sizes of stuffs in different layers? PS can also do that, just select multiple layer and transform, so im not quite sure of what you mean.

Perspective rulers: I really seldom use this, but I know PS has perspective grid/ruler feature too, except I've only seen people do it, so can't comment on it.

Screen tone controls: CSP is definitely better in this since it's geared specifically to making comics, but in PS you can always apply layer adjustment texture to an area, and the size/opacity/placement of the screen-tone(texture) can always be adjusted later. CSP provides default screentones, for PS you have to get them yourself.

Automatic panel masks: its layer shapes(masks) on a group. PS perhaps need a little more steps for adjusments, but i don't really see a problem with it since it offers more adjustments options and also if making comic, one usually don't edit their shapes that much once the drawing is laid down. But subjectively, CSP can be considered slightly better in this.

Last edited:

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Deciding to spend $2400/2 years on Adobe Creative Suite or $60/mo on Creative Suite should not be the difference between you eating or not, and it's not a compelling argument against service subscriptions. If it's a decision for you between stealing someone else's labor and eating, then that's up to you, go for it, obviously eating and paying rent is more important to you than compensating someone else for labor, so if that's more important, then you don't need someone else's approval like mine.

If you want to pirate Adobe Creative Suite and feel like it's a life and death decision for you, then go for it, pirate someone else's work. Truthfully, Adobe really doesn't care. If you feel a moral imperative to steal someone else's work, then go for it, nobody here will stop you or really care that you do. I'm a software engineer, and I know that millions of people pirate my software in China, Russia, Brazil, and many thousands of people in the US do too, it really doesn't bother me that much that I'm working for free for them, because I think that in the overall funnel, it ends up coming back at some point. I'd imagine most Adobe engineers are the same way. If they have to decide between you skipping meals or stealing their software, they really don't care if you steal their software because in the overall funnel, it'll probably come back to them.

My post was explaining why companies go the service driven approach, rather than the single ~$2400 semi-annual license renewal approach. If you want to make a moral case for why you're hungry and need to steal software, then go for it, our arguments are two different things. But in the process, spare me your "MAYBE JUST MAYBE I"M HUNGRY!" ethical diatribes. I don't care that you steal software.
On point, I'm so annoyed by many of the stupid reasons people gives on why Adobe shouldn't be increasing prices.
"Adobe is big corporation, so they don't need to think about profits!" like wth?!
"I don't make money out of Adobe products, so they shouldn't charge more!" like wth?! that's not Adobe's problem
"90%(or whatever percentages) of user don't pay for Adobe after all!, Now they are even going to be less ppl paying!" BS statistics from themselves. The ppl who don't pay won't pay and won't care.
"Bye Adobe, now going for this (cheaper alt) software, nobody will use Adobe anymore!" At this stage, not gonna happen, you can use whatever software as hobbyist, as a pro, ppl or companies will demand that you learn/use Adobe because it is still the best tool out there.

There's more, but you get the gist.
Adobe should certainly make it's software more accessible and cheaper from a consumer point of view, but hey, price are always a subjective issue. But the arguments some ppl make it here are really ridiculous.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Is there a better option there for Lightroom like software.

I don't want to keep supporting Adobe but Lightroom makes photoshoot editing easy when it comes to white balancing, color toning and lens calibration.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
There was a post a blogger made a few months ago about all the various better (and most times free) alternative programs to use instead of Adobe Creative Suite. I really wish I'd screencapped the post because the blog is gone.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
After suffering the performance of their dogshit software, that'll be a no from me dawg. I was being gauged at a tenner.

wtl420

Feb 16, 2019
Honestly this makes sense. It was always weird ONE CC product subscription was $20 yet you get 2 here for $10.

That being said I don't think Adobe has given a shit about their software quality in years so it's a good thing their pricing model has shifted in a way that pushes more people towards other products. Hopefully Adobe will start to step up their game soon.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly this makes sense. It was always weird ONE CC product subscription was $20 yet you get 2 here for $10.

The reason was because for all intents and purposes Lightroom was just a software template over Photoshop. It just did a few things photoshop did but had the ability to do it to multiple files at once and acted as a library.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

That being said I don't think Adobe has given a shit about their software quality in years so it's a good thing their pricing model has shifted in a way that pushes more people towards other products. Hopefully Adobe will start to step up their game soon.

I dunno. I felt that throwing in Lightroom in the CC was a fucked up greedy move because it's truly a separate project; its about file management as much as photo editing and doesnt fit the CC ecosystem at all. While I think its fucking bullshit to be paying a monthly fee in the first place, I have a feeling much of the pure Lightroom audience doesn't need PS and if the pull this move, they should do that.

They've gone from a 'hookup' to basically forcing you to buy a bundle

wtl420

Feb 16, 2019
I dunno. I felt that throwing in Lightroom in the CC was a fucked up greedy move because it's truly a separate project; its about file management as much as photo editing and doesnt fit the CC ecosystem at all. While I think its fucking bullshit to be paying a monthly fee in the first place, I have a feeling much of the pure Lightroom audience doesn't need PS and if the pull this move, they should do that.

They've gone from a 'hookup' to basically forcing you to buy a bundle

Not sure I understand. Lightroom + Photoshop together is now the price of _one_ CC program- and you can opt for only one of them at half price. This makes a lot more sense with their other CC pricing in mind. Does it suck to raise the price with no additional features? Sure. But I'm honestly surprised it didn't start out this way or wasn't changed a lot earlier.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Not sure I understand. Lightroom + Photoshop together is now the price of _one_ CC program- and you can opt for only one of them at half price. This makes a lot more sense with their other CC pricing in mind. Does it suck to raise the price with no additional features? Sure. But I'm honestly surprised it didn't start out this way or wasn't changed a lot earlier.

Like deimosmasque mentioned above it for hardcore users of Lightroom PS was a nice bonus, but really just a bonus because most users who ordered the Lightroom package just needed Lightroom.

So you're effectively forcing them to buy two pieces of software now. I never used Photoshop for my photos because Lightroom had everything I had. Now you're charging me twice for it because you wont let be order it without PS