• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

The result is Live Brushes, which use the artificial intelligence of Adobe Sensei to recreate the behavior of oils and watercolors in an amazingly lifelike way. When you paint with a watercolor Live Brush, you'll see the color bloom into adjacent areas of the paper. Use red and yellow next to each other and they'll naturally blend into orange at the border. You can even recreate painting with water to dilute some colors and encourage tints to mix.
With an oil Live Brush, you can slather on a thick coat of paint and see the ridges and brush strokes that give the painting dimension. And you can mix different oil colors together to create a varied swirl of color that no digital color wheel could ever provide.
Live Brushes are something that no other drawing and painting app can match. But they're not all Fresco offers. You can use all your favorite Photoshop brushes directly in Fresco, and get access to thousands of additional brushes created by famous digital brush maker Kyle Webster. Photoshop brushes can do things real-world brushes can't, such as building stamps from shapes like stars, people, trees, or grass. And Fresco includes vector brushes, which create clean, crisp, and infinitely scaleable lines and shapes. You can even create your own brush using Adobe Capture. Fresco's brushes combine the qualities of real-world painting and digital creation in a unique and sophisticated way.

We're developing Fresco for a broad spectrum of seasoned to novice artists and anyone with the right hardware will be able to draw and paint in Fresco for free. (Want to try Fresco before it launches? We're slowly adding more users to our pre-release testing and you can apply here.)

Big news is that it will apparently be free.

I've been testing this for about 6 months now and I love it.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Ask any artist and photoshop feels like it fights you the entire way. Photoshop is and always has been meant for editing and processing photos. I'm very curious what an Adobe art program built from the ground up just for drawing would be like.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Interesting. Ask any artist and photoshop feels like it fights you the entire way. Photoshop is and always has been meant for editing and processing photos. I'm very curious what an Adobe art program built from the ground up just for drawing would be like.

Performance wise this feels much better than Photoshop. I mean, even Adobe Sketch was a better pure art app than Photoshop.

This doesn't pack much for beginners who need assists outside of smoothing, but the brush engine is pretty fantastic.

That said, there's still a lot I'd like to see.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how useful this will be for creating organic looking bg/overlay textures.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Big news is that it will apparently be free.

I love Procreate on my iPad Pro, and it's honestly probably the best $10 or whatever I've ever spent on an app.

I've been aware Adobe was launching a major iOS app but I kind of assumed Adobe would just roll it into the monthly Creative Cloud subscription so I wasn't really that interested since I don't subscribe and don't plan too.

But free is welcome news.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I love Procreate on my iPad Pro, and it's honestly probably the best $10 or whatever I've ever spent on an app.

I've been aware Adobe was launching a major iOS app but I kind of assumed Adobe would just roll it into the monthly Creative Cloud subscription so I wasn't really that interested since I don't subscribe and don't plan too.

But free is welcome news.

Procreate is still king for me when it comes to speed and assists (I'm not a wonderful artist by any means) but Fresco is on another level when it comes to brushes, rather, the live brushes. The watercolor brush makes me wish I was a better artist. =\

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Procreate is still king for me when it comes to speed and assists (I'm not a wonderful artist by any means) but Fresco is on another level when it comes to brushes, rather, the live brushes. The watercolor brush makes me wish I was a better artist. =\
On my iPad Pro, I love the watercolor brush is made by Kyle T. Webster in the Adobe Sketch app, I think its really a great watercolor brush. So I'm not surprised to hear this new Adobe app has a great watercolor brush too. I'll be excited to try out all the brushes and everything when I can get access the app.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Can i import a layered Ai file?

I don't believe so, but that's not really what this is for. You can use vector and raster together to create art, and you can export what you create into AI and Photoshop, but I don't think importing will be something it will do.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
something free? with these features? from Adobe?

sounds very interesting, will definitely be trying it out. will be interesting to use something other than procreate since getting my iPad a year and a half ago.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe so, but that's not really what this is for. You can use vector and raster together to create art, and you can export what you create into AI and Photoshop, but I don't think importing will be something it will do.
Hmn, that's a shame. I like importing layered Ai-files in Photoshop that i exported in Adobe Illustrator. Oh it's a PSD file then. Could i import a PSD file? Bceause that's what it actually is then.

Edit: Probably not.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
is it coming to desktops?

No, I believe this is iPad only (maybe another tablet OS at a later date).

Hmn, that's a shame. I like importing layered Ai-files in Photoshop that i exported in Adobe Illustrator. Oh it's a PSD file then. Could i import a PSD file? Bceause that's what it actually is then.

Edit: Probably not.

Actually, I believe PSDs are planned to import fine. However, I'm not sure if it'll always be a 1:1 import on all features & layers (but anything raster or vector should work fine, I think).

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by organic looking? Do you mean organic as in replicating specific brush textures?
Texture that looks like it's been formed by real elements then scanned into a computer. Water drops/stains, worn out fabric, clumps of hair, dust, debris, scratches etc.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
No, I believe this is iPad only (maybe another tablet OS at a later date).

Actually, I believe PSDs are planned to import fine. However, I'm not sure if it'll always be a 1:1 import on all features & layers (but anything raster or vector should work fine, I think).
That would be great.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Texture that looks like it's been formed by real elements then scanned into a computer. Water drops/stains, worn out fabric, clumps of hair, dust, debris, scratches etc.

Hmm...I mean, I'm sure you can simulate those things with the variety of brush tools available, but a lot of it may be largely dependent on talent (I have little). That said, using Adobe Capture (I think it's free?) you can essentially turn any texture into a brush and then bring that straight into Fresco (or photoshop, for that matter).

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Sorry for the necro bump, just figured I'd let people know (that are interested) that Adobe Fresco appears to be coming on Sept. 24th. It just popped up in the App store for "Pre-Order". Looks like a lot of basic stuff will be free to use, with things like cloud storage, and the Adobe Brushes (via Kyle T. Webster) will be restricted to CC subscribers.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Appreciate the update, was wondering when this would come out. Excited to try it!

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Free?

Sounds too good to be true

Their last two illustration apps were also free (Adobe Sketch and Adobe Draw). You can sign up for a free CC membership right now and use them, you just can't use the premium CC features (like exporting full resolution images, synching to the Creative Cloud, or push to Photoshop / Illustrator).

I would assume that Fresco will also limit file output to web resolution (72dpi) on the free plan, but as of right now...it looks like it will be free.

Also: It will be compatible with all iPads that can run iPad OS. If your device doesn't support iPad OS, you won't be able to use Adobe Fresco. There's a rumor that it may be coming to the Microsoft Surface as well.

Last edited:

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
If I have whatever $9.99 Photoshop + Lightroom sub, I can enjoy this, right? Any idea how much space this and the Photoshop CC are going to take up on the iPad? Was planning to get a new iPad Pro when the new models come out for the extended screen feature. Was hoping 128GB would be enough but I'm kinda skeptical something with feature parity would be only 5-10GB.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea how much space this and the Photoshop CC are going to take up on the iPad? Was planning to get a new iPad Pro when the new models come out for the extended screen feature. Was hoping 128GB would be enough but I'm kinda skeptical something with feature parity would be only 5-10GB.
The app itself should be under 200 MB. None of their apps are over that on iOS.
It is the brushes and most importantly the files themselves that will take up storage.

I primarily use Adobe Draw and I just checked, the app itself is only 77MB, but I have over 11GB in files. So it will be the files that add up in size, not the apps.

Also in regards to this app, really curious to see what they finally came up with. I was invited to Adobe's NYC HQ since I live in New Jersey for an afternoon well over a year ago to discuss the app and what I would potentially like to see because I was using Draw so early and pretty frequently and I was part of the pilot group that helped improve Draw. Even though I primarily create in Vector as it suits my personal style I am real curious to see what they came up with here. Using their apps for almost 20 years now just means I am super familiar with them. Look forward to checking it out later this month.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I am an artist and this is nonsense, it's by far the easiest to use for me. Most concept artists in the industry will also disagree with you. Other apps might have their edge in their own painting software, but PS as a painting software itself is already super amazing, this new addition will just bolster their already dominant software.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
?

My job is drawing pictures and I've primarily used photoshop to do it for the last 5 or so years, no problems at all

Further, the fellow illustrators I know generally use photoshop if they are so digitally inclined.

The only complaints I hear from illustrators regards adobe illustrator ironically enough

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
If I have whatever $9.99 Photoshop + Lightroom sub, I can enjoy this, right? Any idea how much space this and the Photoshop CC are going to take up on the iPad? Was planning to get a new iPad Pro when the new models come out for the extended screen feature. Was hoping 128GB would be enough but I'm kinda skeptical something with feature parity would be only 5-10GB.

If you have the $10 sub you should get access to all the premium features (high res export, brushes, cloud storage). The app itself is free to all (but again, will be missing certain things like cloud storage or high res export).

Fresco will be around 500MB in size. Photoshop will probably similar or more (it's a more robust app, after all). The kicker is file sizes, which can grow pretty quickly depending on the resolution of each project.

The app itself should be under 200 MB. None of their apps are over that on iOS.
It is the brushes and most importantly the files themselves that will take up storage.

I primarily use Adobe Draw and I just checked, the app itself is only 77MB, but I have over 11GB in files. So it will be the files that add up in size, not the apps.

Also in regards to this app, really curious to see what they finally came up with. I was invited to Adobe's NYC HQ since I live in New Jersey for an afternoon well over a year ago to discuss the app and what I would potentially like to see because I was using Draw so early and pretty frequently and I was part of the pilot group that helped improve Draw. Even though I primarily create in Vector as it suits my personal style I am real curious to see what they came up with here. Using their apps for almost 20 years now just means I am super familiar with them. Look forward to checking it out later this month.

I think you'll like it, since you can mix both raster and vector layers together in the same piece. Makes it super easy to sketch out your image with the pencil brush first, and then go through later with the vector brushes to finalize your art (and then export to Photoshop or Illustrator later for finishing touches / composition). I've been using it for about 8 months now, and I'm in love with it. I think you'll really enjoy it!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That's not accurate. Sure, programs like Clip Studio Paint offer better features for illustrators and manga artists, but overall nothing beats Photoshop for digital painting. It's incredibly versatile, and rather intuitive overall. Add a few choice extensions, like Coolorus and Sergey Kritskiy's Perspective Tools, and you've got the best art program on the market.

Also, the brush stabilizer and line art toolbox Lazy Nezumi Pro solves nearly all of Photoshop's drawing related shortcomings, with countless line modes, on-the-fly perspective from one point to fisheye, and every kind of ruler you could want.

While Photoshop could be improved by adding more of CSP's features, it's already a beast for digital art.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
?

My job is drawing pictures and I've primarily used photoshop to do it for the last 5 or so years, no problems at all

Further, the fellow illustrators I know generally use photoshop if they are so digitally inclined.

The only complaints I hear from illustrators regards adobe illustrator ironically enough

Yeah same here.
Storyboard Pro on the other hand is like drawing underwater but most TV shows are made using it. So you just adapt.

Comics, sketches and sometimes thumbnails are all done in Photoshop. I like ClipStudio but there are small
things that I'm now so used to doing in PS, that I just can't switch.
It also "feels" a bit more sluggish on my machine.

Oct 25, 2017
I am an artist and this is nonsense, it's by far the easiest to use for me. Most concept artists in the industry will also disagree with you. Other apps might have their edge in their own painting software, but PS as a painting software itself is already super amazing, this new addition will just bolster their already dominant software.
?

That's not accurate. Sure, programs like Clip Studio Paint offer better features for illustrators and manga artists, but overall nothing beats Photoshop for digital painting. It's incredibly versatile, and rather intuitive overall. Add a few choice extensions, like Coolorus and Sergey Kritskiy's Perspective Tools, and you've got the best art program on the market.

Also, the brush stabilizer and line art toolbox Lazy Nezumi Pro solves nearly all of Photoshop's drawing related shortcomings, with countless line modes, on-the-fly perspective from one point to fisheye, and every kind of ruler you could want.

While Photoshop could be improved by adding more of CSP's features, it's already a beast for digital art.
In hindsight, I may have been speaking in bias respective to the work I do (storyboards). Amongst myself and most teams of storyboard artists I've worked with, Photoshop is largely despised and often requires studios to invest in proprietary programs and workarounds to make up for its shortcomings. This is for feature houses, where as TV productions skip photoshop all together and use alternative programs like Storyboard Pro.

Photoshop has attempted many half steps to streamline the workflow but it still leaves a lot to be desired compared to other programs on the market that were built from the ground up specifically for artists.

The drawing/painting engine is still the best in the industry, but I still wish that specific aspect would be ported into a new UI and functionality shell that is 100% intended for artists, versus a photo editing program with two decades of patch work to appease artists.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
In hindsight, I may have been speaking in bias respective to the work I do (storyboards). Amongst myself and most teams of storyboard artists I've worked with, Photoshop is largely despised and often requires studios to invest in proprietary programs and workarounds to make up for its shortcomings. This is for feature houses, where as TV productions skip photoshop all together and use alternative programs like Storyboard Pro.

Photoshop has attempted many half steps to streamline the workflow but it still leaves a lot to be desired compared to other programs on the market that were built from the ground up specifically for artists.

The drawing/painting engine is still the best in the industry, but I still wish that specific aspect would be ported into a new UI and functionality shell that is 100% intended for artists, versus a photo editing program with two decades of patch work to appease artists.

So...Adobe Fresco? :P

Not sure Fresco will be something that would work for you in storyboards though, but I'm not really familiar with that workflow.

Been using it. Still prefer Procreate overall.

It's still missing some key features, but the brush engine is light years ahead of Procreate. It's tough for me because I prefer the brush behavior in Fresco, but Procreate has a lot of features I need and rely on (though the team has said those things are coming). Once they address some key areas, I think it'll take the cake. Do you participate in the slack channel?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

It's fair to say that Photoshop is not always friendly to specialized workflows.

I agree, I would love a version of Photoshop that's just for artists. I haven't tried Fresco. It looks a little light. I don't get the impression that it gives Clip Studio Paint a run for its money with intuitive time-saving features.

Blendy brushes are nice, and vector drawing is a godsend, but where's our fully tricked out Photoshop for art professionals?

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It's fair to say that Photoshop is not always friendly to specialized workflows.

I agree, I would love a version of Photoshop that's just for artists. I haven't tried Fresco. It looks a little light. I don't get the impression that it gives Clip Studio Paint a run for its money with intuitive time-saving features.

Blendy brushes are nice, and vector drawing is a godsend, but where's our fully tricked out Photoshop for art professionals?

Fresco is getting there, and when coupled with Photoshop for iPad, it's the perfect companion app (especially since Creative Cloud is pretty convenient for this).

Fresco appears light, but it's pretty robust. Especially for a free app. What are you looking for in particular?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So...Adobe Fresco? :P

Not sure Fresco will be something that would work for you in storyboards though, but I'm not really familiar with that workflow.

It's still missing some key features, but the brush engine is light years ahead of Procreate. It's tough for me because I prefer the brush behavior in Fresco, but Procreate has a lot of features I need and rely on (though the team has said those things are coming). Once they address some key areas, I think it'll take the cake. Do you participate in the slack channel?
No, haven't even used Slack in years. I probably need to spend more time with Fresco. I couldn't even figure out how to blend/smudge in it for some reason, though. Surely I was missing something.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Fresco is getting there, and when coupled with Photoshop for iPad, it's the perfect companion app (especially since Creative Cloud is pretty convenient for this).

Fresco appears light, but it's pretty robust. Especially for a free app. What are you looking for in particular?
Off the top of my head: CSP-style line editing on vector layers (thin, thicken, transform, etc.), intuitive selection and fill features, all kinds of rulers for quick precise sketching and perspective, and maybe this is already a thing with the fancy brush engine, but I want a smudge tool with minimal lag that can go really soft and also cut a hard edge without a weird greasy smear effect.

This hasn't worked properly in Photoshop since CS3. You can sort of do it with the mixer brush, but it's not quite the same as CS3's smudge tool with a hard round brush, light scattering, spacing off, and pressure on.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Storyboard Pro bro's fist bump.
PM me your instagram if you want, always nice to follow fellow era members there!

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Off the top of my head: CSP-style line editing on vector layers (thin, thicken, transform, etc.), intuitive selection and fill features, all kinds of rulers for quick precise sketching and perspective, and maybe this is already a thing with the fancy brush engine, but I want a smudge tool with minimal lag that can go really soft and also cut a hard edge without a weird greasy smear effect.

This hasn't worked properly in Photoshop since CS3. You can sort of do it with the mixer brush, but it's not quite the same as CS3's smudge tool with a hard round brush, light scattering, spacing off, and pressure on.

Well, I'm not sure where those fall on the timeline of features to implement (or if they're on the road map) but a lot of those have been brought up in the pre-release discussions and feature requests, and I've seen the team talk about a few of them. (I'm not affiliated with Adobe, they are just identified members of the slack).

Not sure if a smudge and smear are coming, but perhaps the dry oil brush does this, I'll test it out later today to see how it responds.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I'm not sure where those fall on the timeline of features to implement (or if they're on the road map) but a lot of those have been brought up in the pre-release discussions and feature requests, and I've seen the team talk about a few of them. (I'm not affiliated with Adobe, they are just identified members of the slack).

Not sure if a smudge and smear are coming, but perhaps the dry oil brush does this, I'll test it out later today to see how it responds.
Interesting. I'll keep my eye on future developments for sure.

0x03

Oct 25, 2017
and when coupled with Photoshop for iPad, it's the perfect companion app

8byte it sounds like you're in the beta program for Fresco/Photoshop for iPad? If so, I'm curious if you could share your impressions of Photoshop and how it compares to the desktop version (assuming the terms of the program allow you to speak openly about it.)

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
8byte it sounds like you're in the beta program for Fresco/Photoshop for iPad? If so, I'm curious if you could share your impressions of Photoshop and how it compares to the desktop version (assuming the terms of the program allow you to speak openly about it.)

I'm in the pre-release program for both, yea. I can't speak to specific features or the UI too much outside of what's already been shown, but I can say that it's the most robust Photoshop offering on a mobile platform that isn't a laptop. Specifically in the last 2 months, the amount of features that have been added has been ramping up pretty heavily.

I can say that Photoshop on the iPad isn't a replacement for Photoshop as much as it is a companion to it. It's MUCH more capable and robust than anything they've done previously, and being able to move files back and forth between desktop and mobile via Creative Cloud Documents is really cool. I've done a few shoots (photography) strictly through Lightroom Mobile and Photoshop on iPad for touchups, and excluding a few desired features (that I can effectively work around, though slower)...it's very, very capable, especially when you factor in the Apple Pencil.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
To better illustrate just how crazy the 'Live Brushes' are, here's an abstract watercolor painting done by Kyle T. Webster. It's 100% digital, done 100% with live brushes that mimic water color.

The engine is just on another level.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Just went back in for the first time in weeks. I'm not sure why there is the amount of lag there is, but I can't deal with it. I'm so used to how snappy Procreate is. Maybe I need to reboot my Pro.