• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Some just look like fun, but some seem like they will be legitimately great for helping out less than ideal pics or files for some uses.

Releases today alongside new iPad version. Deep feature rundown here:
blog.adobe.com

Photoshop: Now the world’s most advanced AI application for creatives

Today we release a new version of Photoshop on the desktop and iPad. With it we introduce five major new artificial intelligence features. These new ...

Oct 27, 2017
I hate that I love what Adobe does, and also hate what Adobe does. They are a horrible company that has industry-leading photo manipulation, especially with their new AI-based stuff (like this, or content-aware fill).

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The auto coloring b&w photos was the most impressive in that video. The face manipulation stuff looks goofy and limited in use.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
The auto coloring b&w photos was the most impressive in that video. The face manipulation stuff looks goofy and limited in use.
Yeah there's a bot that used to do this on reddit called colorizebot iirc? But I'm glad to see what Adobe has been working on with AI stuff.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not as impressive in real life as the example shown, on the images I tried. But very promising indeed.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Come on, what practical use does someone with a Photoshop license need with some of that facial manipulation?

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm looking forward to trying out the black and white colour feature later! Curious how good the results may look.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, what practical use does someone with a Photoshop license need with some of that facial manipulation?

It depends on the user, I guess. I'm pretty sure professional photo retouchers will not use those tools, but they have been marketing Photoshop to consumer/prosumer people for a while now. There's no reason only FaceApp should have its foot in that pool.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
cool

it's unlikely i will ever use these features, but it'll be useful to someone presumably

i'll go back to drawing pictures now

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
sweet

I basically live in Photoshop, always exciting to have new toys :) Colorizing B&W sounds very interesting for concept art.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia has been going all in on AI. They're also doing some of these features for live video calls

That they can realign faces is crazy to me

Jul 18, 2018
Yeah there's a bot that used to do this on reddit called colorizebot iirc? But I'm glad to see what Adobe has been working on with AI stuff.
Afaik, that reddit bot has been dead for years...

I'm intrigued. I'm coloring photos now, so it will be interesting to compare how close the AI gets to my photos. Also will be interesting to see what color palletes it will choose since the photos i'm colorizing are of South Asian origin

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played with the neural filters this morning......and the results are somewhat mixed lol

If you crank the settings the illusion of being real is easily broken.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I tried them out and they were really cool! The face stuff seems really powerful. The face turning, gaze, and light source felt like the most impressive.
I tried the colorize one and it really leaves much to be desired. When I tried it on various images, it basically just bronzed up a couple of spots and you could additionally add some color to spots, but it was too monotone. That AI colorizer website does a much better job, even if you have to pay to get it to do high-res images.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance GIMP could receive features like this? Not that I would really need it, but I'm just curious since I'll be using that instead of Adobe's products in the future.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Topaz Labs has been really good for upscaling. A lot of crazy stuff coming over the next few years.

Goodbye awful Zoom calls where everyone looks poorly lit, out of focus, or FOVed, with a messy room as a background. We'll soon have "perfect" avatars of ourselves, fake background, well lit and looking real and all.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
How is the iPad Photoshop app these days? I was excited for it when I got a 2018 iPad Pro but never got into it because I heard it wasn't great. Maybe I need to get myself a mouse.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
It's cool, I wish they could use AI for the user interaction though. If I'm clicking several times on a thin layer to select it, I don't want to select the background all the time.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
How is the iPad Photoshop app these days? I was excited for it when I got a 2018 iPad Pro but never got into it because I heard it wasn't great. Maybe I need to get myself a mouse.

It's ok for light edition, but nowhere close to Affinity Photo, I do a fair amount of work on both. And you want a Pencil, not a mouse in either app.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Plenty of people use Photoshop for specific use cases, or are good with some Adobe suite software but not Photoshop so they won't be great at face work. This is a neat addition for people who are having some DIY fun with their own projects and have no clue how to move light around a face or change features.

Also it is just the beginning. I'm sure they just put every cool AI use case in the suite they could, and will improve stuff to cooler levels later.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Not impressed. Many cheap ass apps for the iPhone already have that functionality (albeit not as a full fledged image editor).

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Just testing out iPad-Photoshop cloud documents at the moment, I can see something I created on the iPad while on the MacBook, but I can't see my Photoshop cloud documents I saved on my MacBook while using iPad.

It's ok for light edition, but nowhere close to Affinity Photo, I do a fair amount of work on both. And you want a Pencil, not a mouse in either app.
I've heard good things about Affinity but I'm not really looking to switch my work system at the moment

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Just testing out iPad-Photoshop cloud documents at the moment, I can see something I created on the iPad while on the MacBook, but I can't see my Photoshop cloud documents I saved on my MacBook while using iPad.

I've heard good things about Affinity but I'm not really looking to switch my work system at the moment

You have to be sure they've synced to the cloud. Sometimes it's immediate, other times it takes a little time. I think you can manually sync though.

It also depends on the size of the files.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
to each their own and you could always do this stuff if you had the skills, but don't like this. Just pushing us closer to a future hellscape where everything is faked, nothing is real, lies, manipulation, mass paranoia, confusion, disjointed societies, bubbling oceans of acid, category 8 hurricanes and designer babies.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
You have to be sure they've synced to the cloud. Sometimes it's immediate, other times it takes a little time. I think you can manually sync though.

It also depends on the size of the files.
Not sure if I somehow synced it manually or it was just taking while, but it works now.

I don't know what it is, doing simple tasks on Photoshop 2020 and 2021 like pasting images, undoing adjustments, and more cause at least five seconds of loading for me. It's why I'm keeping Photoshop 2019 on my computer. I have an i7 2015 MacBook Pro with 16 GB.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
to each their own and you could always do this stuff if you had the skills, but don't like this. Just pushing us closer to a future hellscape where everything is faked, nothing is real, lies, manipulation, mass paranoia, confusion, disjointed societies, bubbling oceans of acid, category 8 hurricanes and designer babies.
Faked content tech is a legitimate concern but I don't think there's any stopping it. Too many small apps and big devs are in the race.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing around with these today and it's about 50/50. Some of the results are actually frightening in their realism. I'll definitely be using some of these to touch up photos.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Their example videos always make these features look amazing, then in production, they're wonky.

That is basically it for all of Adobe's "amazing" tools. Like, the shake reduction filter only works like 5% of the time I use it. And even then, it's a glorified sharpening tool that really isn't saving a lot of photos.