• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This is a damn gamechanger. Their tablet version was already shaping up well but this could retool my entire workflow. Full photoshop on hardware lighter and thinner than most sketchbooks is making my eyes water. For fucks sake Apple, announce the new ipads already, I'm dying here. And update that embarrassment of a pencil too please.

And real photoshop on a tablet? Funny
Welp.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck at the size of the UI Font for all the 2019 programs. How the fuck do I change it application wide?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Funnier than this is that, since the original announcement, I've been looking around to see if the actual photoshop SDK is supported, i.e. can you build actual, real plugins that work in the x86 versions of photoshop, on the ipad version? Because THAT would be a major component of what I'd consider the "Full fledged" photoshop support. And nobody will answer! I've even emailed devs at adobe directly and gotten nothing back.

Built in filters are nice, basic control functions should be expected, but the ability to roll your own of both through the SDK is definitely part of the "full fledged" experience.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Funnier than this is that, since the original announcement, I've been looking around to see if the actual photoshop SDK is supported, i.e. can you build actual, real plugins that work in the x86 versions of photoshop, on the ipad version? Because THAT would be a major component of what I'd consider the "Full fledged" photoshop support. And nobody will answer! I've even emailed devs at adobe directly and gotten nothing back.

Built in filters are nice, basic control functions should be expected, but the ability to roll your own of both through the SDK is definitely part of the "full fledged" experience.
I highly doubt they will let you add plug-ins any time soon. That seems like obvious potential for performance disasters on tablets.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt they will let you add plug-ins any time soon. That seems like obvious potential for performance disasters on tablets.

then that takes out an enormous piece of the functionality of photoshop. The SDK support is what makes photoshop basically limitless in what you can do with it. You can bend photoshop to your will with it.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
then that takes out an enormous piece of the functionality of photoshop. The SDK support is what makes photoshop basically limitless in what you can do with it. You can bend photoshop to your will with it.
First and foremost, the launch product sounds disappointing. It's already late and still going to miss features at launch.

Second, I don't think Adobe can promise that outside plug-ins made for desktop will work so soon on a tablet product that is missing features. Because first it probably doesn't work exactly like the desktop version in reality (hence it missing simple stuff), and two is the plug-ins are designed and optimized to work natively on desktop right? iPad is not like some Windows tablets that are natively running desktop code with a simple way to add plugins.

I personally love Photoshop desktop but never have used a plug-in in my decade or so of casual use, so apologies if I'm wrong on this. But I just think we have learned with the recent beta news that if they haven't specifically said a feature is in, it honestly is probably not in.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Second, I don't think Adobe can promise that outside plug-ins made for desktop will work so soon on a tablet product that is missing features

That's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking for open SDK support at all. By all means, treat it like it's own branch, as it should be treated. I'm saying there is no indication that anybody can write any sort of plugin for it, desktop port or not.

The tools you use to extend scripting support like this, are the tools you use to build the application itself. That's how those tools come to be in the first place. This honestly sounds super half-baked. It's just irksome that they described "full fledged photoshop" but apparently mean just the UI and some pre baked filters and things of that sort.

I actually use photoshop for game dev, it's a very simple way to create assets. Usually my assets are not just pngs and stuff like that, I have to do things to turn them into usable pixel formats. It's way, way easier for me to write a script plugin to accomplish this, and thus build art-asset support for my game into photoshop, than to do the opposite, and build a photoshop clone to support my game. I actually kept an eye on this, because if you could write plugins for this, that would make the ipad a seriously useful tool for gamedev. I have a surface pro 3 for photoshop just for this, but it's getting long in the tooth. I'd love for the ipad to actually become a real, full productivity photoshop machine at a fraction of the cost of a new surface.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I've been in the pre-release program for this for about 6 months, and I think a lot of the reason some features will be missing at launch is quite simply memory management. They've got to be retooling a lot of this program to work on a paltry 2-4GB of available memory. That said, if you already are a CC member, it has value, but it also has a long way to go.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And still no mouse support to use it properly.

EDIT holy necrobump 2018!!! Lol plz ignore

there's mouse support. Enable it is accessibility/touch

Works great with a couple of weird quirks- right click isn't really a thing in most iOS apps and for some reason the only Microsoft Bluetooth mouse I can pair is the wedge. Arc, intellimouse and desktop basic/designer won't pair. Wired and in dongles work if you have an adapter or a dock

Mouse and iPad are like peanut butter and chocolate- weirdness aside

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking for open SDK support at all. By all means, treat it like it's own branch, as it should be treated. I'm saying there is no indication that anybody can write any sort of plugin for it, desktop port or not.

The tools you use to extend scripting support like this, are the tools you use to build the application itself. That's how those tools come to be in the first place. This honestly sounds super half-baked. It's just irksome that they described "full fledged photoshop" but apparently mean just the UI and some pre baked filters and things of that sort.

I actually use photoshop for game dev, it's a very simple way to create assets. Usually my assets are not just pngs and stuff like that, I have to do things to turn them into usable pixel formats. It's way, way easier for me to write a script plugin to accomplish this, and thus build art-asset support for my game into photoshop, than to do the opposite, and build a photoshop clone to support my game. I actually kept an eye on this, because if you could write plugins for this, that would make the ipad a seriously useful tool for gamedev. I have a surface pro 3 for photoshop just for this, but it's getting long in the tooth. I'd love for the ipad to actually become a real, full productivity photoshop machine at a fraction of the cost of a new surface.
Is this a thing in other iPad apps? Like access to another company's SDK for a particular app? I'm not sure I understand what this model looks like.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Well dang, waited so long and it's not even gonna be complete? Sorry Adobe that's not good enough

The team is aware and working on these features, and they are on the roadmap. They aren't releasing this as "good enough" but are releasing it as "here's build 1.0". I think a lot of people are forgetting that as powerful as the iPads are, this is being built to work on more than just the iPad Pro, so they're working around limitations for the lowest possible benchmark.

this was announced a while ago and you're missing stuff like rotate canvas? lmao

Procreate 5 stay winning

Procreate and Photoshop aren't really one in the same. They have overlap, but they serve different purposes. One is for art production that can handle some photo manipulation, the other is for photo manipulation that can handle art production.

Geez, what's even the point when it's missing such basic features.
Yeah, that's not useful. Wonder why they're gimping the iPad version?

It's a work in progress that will see features coming through the pipeline. Also, it isn't that they are gimping the iPad version so much as that they are slowly building the feature list around the limitations of the platform. The biggest complaints I have through my time with the pre-release (beta) software is that I cannot rotate the canvas. The team is aware, and everyone else in the test program has expressed these concerns. There is a lot planned for release down the road, but the team wants to get a stable 1.0 build out and into the public hands for current CC subscribers.

I think it's important to look at this for what it is, a starting point for Photoshop on a new platform, rather than what everyone hopes it will be: version 20 (i.e. current desktop photoshop).

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
LOL I don't why so many in this thread is worried about waiting for next iPad Pro for this new app. It's not like the next iPad pro will be radically more powerful or different. The only reason Adobe took this long is because they are a bloated beast of a developer working on million other things. They weren't waiting for proper hardware. Hardware's been ready since first iPad Pro.

Current iPad Pro and previous gen ones will run this new Photoshop just fine. The only real advantage to the next iPad Pro will be probably more RAM to create bigger more complex files/projects.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really glad the 2018 and onward iPad Pro proved to be such a stellar device, because initially - pretty much the reason I purchased it was because a full fledged photoshop was on the horizon. What a shit show by Adobe...

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I'm really glad the 2018 and onward iPad Pro proved to be such a stellar device, because initially - pretty much the reason I purchased it was because a full fledged photoshop was on the horizon. What a shit show by Adobe...
1st Gen iPad Pro will run to he app fine too. No need to single them out.

Oct 27, 2017
I get what they're doing, but I already have full PS on a Windows tablet that works well enough. I won't replace that with a gimpy iPad version.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had somehow missed this entire farce - I just bought a new Pro, but for Fresco and other stuff - the upgrade to 13.1 and mouse support (and lol "file" system) pushed me over the edge. Glad I wasn't counting on it but man it would make my life easier. Photoshop is basically the only thing I use regularly that forces me back to my desktop machine (Surface Book, so not strictly desktop).

I've had a fantastic experience with mouse, I LOVE the folio keyboard (it's actually the main reason I got a Pro last gen and this gen and I wish there was a Bluetooth knock off - I'd use it for everything.) But I would probably lose my shit at versioning PSD files with the File system in the state it is now. It's the most baffling and inconsistent thing on the entire OS.

Well, that and keyboard/autocorrect weirdness right now.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
This was just a logical milestone before releasjng the version for ARM MacBook Pro next year.

Also the Surface X that releases next month, Adobe is surely putting a lot of resources in ARM these days, so once they get used to it I am sure we will see features added at a steady pace, its the next area of expansion for them so is a logical next step