• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
... you finished Final Fantasy IX, I know I did 😭

Has any game made you cry? (tears of joy, anger, sorrow all count)

Or are you a cold automaton?

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I finished Nier Automata this weekend and I got very emotional in the end. I think that's the game that made me most emotional the most.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I can't remember crying during a game, but my avatar is the first time a video game gave me the feels.

Silent Hill btw

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Movies get me there all the time, a video game never has. The writing's just never been there, might be a restriction of the medium, I dunno.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
clemkillslee-noscale.jpg

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
In Persona 4 when
Nanako died... especially because I got the bad ending the first time and threw Namatame into the TV...

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
It had its moments. Regarding one moment when

Blank got turned to stone when left behind

I don't really remember other ones I thought were sad much.

May 17, 2019
I probably cry too much (I am not a manly man)
  • Beeswing
  • kentucky route zero
  • What remains of edith finch
  • actual sunlight
  • beckett
  • disco elysium
  • night in the woods
  • Lisa
  • Everything
  • To The Moon
  • Finding Paradise
  • Pyre
  • Oneshot

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Let's see, I've cried at MGS3 and 4, FFX and XIV, Mass Effect 3... I'm know there are quite a few others but I'm drawing a blank. But I'm a bit of a crier anyway.

Oh! The Walking Dead season 1, Gone Home, and Brothers as well.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I did not get that Vivi was dead when I watched this as a child. I assumed he'd just gone away somewhere.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
God of War (2018). I didn't really cry but it was the closest I've ever been to crying playing video games.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm a very cynical and dickish person, so I tend to not cry when it comes to games because the medium doesn't really "earn" those payoffs. I'm just not a big lover of the "then the sad music plays."

But I remember vividly my first experience of a scene with a door in Witcher 3 that had me bawlin' and all of it without a lick of dialogue.
Spoiler in case anyone hasn't played Witcher 3 yet:

Everything in this scene from the cinematography to the animation and music gets me.

Other moments are probably:
-Fire Emblem Awakening: The Cliff and the Aftermath
-Aeris
-Shadowbringers - Everything after Mt Gulg and everything involving Ardbert and Seto

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I cried at the end of Secret of Mana because it was over.

I cried in EverQuest when my character died and I couldn't get back to my corpse and we went on a family vacation the next day.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest gaming tearjerkers:

- The Last Guardian
- Ori, especially Ori 2

Man I was a mess after TLG lol

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I hated Final Fantasy 9 so much the entire main cast could have been wiped out in the end and all I would have given is a sensible chuckle.
However the bitter sweet ending of final fantasy 10 did make me somewhat emotional, at least until x-2 came around and reconned it.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have played a lot of games in the last 30 years but none has made me even close to tears. Honestly, game writing is better than it was, but it really doesn't come close to well written movies and TV.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm not really, some games make me sad, but to the point of tears never.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Didn't straight up cry but came damn close ..my GF was balling though lol..she watched me play the ENTIRE game . A first
6ddcPI2.gif

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Didn't cry, but shocked me a lot, was when that thing happened in Paper Mario TOK. I never expected that from a Mario game.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Loads of games have made me shed a tear the most recent would be Spiritfarer at pretty much each goodbye.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
FFIX's ending definitely does it. I was even spoiled on it happening but it still got me

FFXIV Shadowbringers' "say his name" gets me, and everything involving that character. Ardbert and Seto, too.

FF Type-0 is a messy game but the final scene in the (not goofy) ending is really well shot and edited to bring out maximum emotions. Bump of Chicken's vocal theme emphasises it.

Oh and the Ice Cream Trio being reunited in Kingdom Hearts 3 makes up for any and all of that game's shortcomings.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Only time a game has made me tear up were those Thousand Years of Dreams in Lost Odyssey, those stories were just sad overkill.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I absolultely love FFIX, but no. Then again I don't think I've ever cried due to a game. 9's ending is amazing though, love everything about it.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Life is Strange is the only game that's gotten to me like that. I expected to see more ppl list the game as well, and it hasn't even been brought up yet. :(

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mother 3

Claus was just being hasty, that's all. You'll forgive your hasty brother, won't you Lucas?

Xenoblade 2

So tell me, how was it, being alive?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
y'all are gonna laugh but I was very moved by Death Stranding's ending.

The part where the it seems like the game is killing off baby Lou, shit hit me hard :(

Really not a fan of any media showing kids die/almost die.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Life is Strange is the only game that's gotten to me like that. I expected to see more ppl list the game as well, and it hasn't even been brought up yet. :(

LiS1 didn't do it to me but oddly Before the Storm and 2 did. The ending I got for the latter is honestly one of the best directed things I've seen in any game.

Where Sean goes to prison but Daniel gets to live a normal life. They're reunited after a few years and revisit the campsite they made but Sean just breaks down crying and the two ultimately drift apart.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
LiS1 didn't do it to me but oddly Before the Storm and 2 did. The ending I got for the latter is honestly one of the best directed things I've seen in any game.
Wow really? Funny cuz BtS didn't really do it for me, tho I really enjoyed it. Still haven't finished LiS2. Just didn't click with me as much as LiS did. Only did the first episode so far. Still need to get to Tell Me Why as well. I'm slacking on these story games. lol

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The last game to make me cry was Ghost of Tsushima. Lady Yuriko's storyline got me all emotional near the end.

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
Red Dead Redemption, after John is back home on the farm, when he walks out of the barn. Should've seen it coming.

What Remains of Edith Finch, the ending.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I've never had a game bring me to tears. I feel like I'm missing out by not connecting emotionally to games in the same way that other people do. I just don't seem to get over the fact that none of it is real.