• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 59562

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
Sonic was best with the cartoon look you see in Mania and Mania Adventures. But Knuckles I think was the biggest improvement. Before he was pretty much just red Sonic. Now there's some differentiation in his design that conveys what he does differently than Sonic, and what a meat head persona he's had before

But a design doesn't really matter if it's tied to a failure, the design is a failure

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
AngelicSneakyDesertpupfish-size_restricted.gif

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
The designs are actually okay for their purpose. The TV show was only 10 mins each episode, and designed to be shown majorly out-of-Order. That means you had to determine character traits instantly - if you've never seen Sonic, it does the job. (plus the athletic tape, while comically overused, is actually a nice idea to hide character seams in animation.)

Modern Sonic needs an update, but there's never going to be a uniform consensus on WHAT to do. I don't think Boom is the right direction, but I'm not indisposed to the idea of a world/design reset. It just needs to be game priority, not TV-show priority.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Modern Sonic needs an update, but there's never going to be a uniform consensus on WHAT to do. I don't think Boom is the right direction, but I'm not indisposed to the idea of a world/design reset. It just needs to be game priority, not TV-show priority.
6MeTSA4.png

Would people want him having green or black eyes though? I'm fine with either tbh.

Nov 17, 2017
Boom Amy is definitely better than main series Amy.

Tails is basically the same but wearing stuff. It's good, showcases his character archetype a bit better.

I like that Knuckles is bigger to show his strength but they overdid it. I like regular Knuckles more.

Sonic? No.

Overall, too much mummy bandages.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
While I don't give a shit about Sonic, I don't see the issue with giving Knuckles a different silhouette. Everyone in Sonic beyond acouple characters have the same body type, and in a central group of cartoon heroes, that looks real boring. It would be like if Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi all had the same shapes, just different colours.

Some of the bandage-core motifs may be... questionable, but from a design principles standpoint, varying up the shapes is absolutely a better choice.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All these Sonics look so similar I don't see how there can be such dramatic reactions to the changes...

Nov 17, 2017
While I don't give a shit about Sonic, I don't see the issue with giving Knuckles a different silhouette. Everyone in Sonic beyond acouple characters have the same body type, and in a central group of cartoon heroes, that looks real boring. It would be like if Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi all had the same shapes, just different colours.

Some of the bandage-core motifs may be... questionable, but from a design principles standpoint, varying up the shapes is absolutely a better choice.
Knuckles already has a different silhouette due to his dreads, longer tail and big boxing gloves. You can't really mix him up with Sonic. And he does have a different body type.

220px-Knuckles_the_Echidna.png
a5cIMm.jpg

His chest is more pronounced than Sonic and his torso generally starts wide at the top and tapers on the way down. Sonic's body is more rounder. It's even more obvious with the classic designs. I'm not against the idea of making Knuckles have a wider, more muscular frame since it's already been part of his design since the beginning. I just think the Boom design went WAY overboard. Like the design team sat down and thought "Hey, Knuckles is strong and punches things, right? Let's just make him as buff as possible with tiny legs." It communicates the idea but kind of screams it when it could be more subtle. Maybe a middle ground between the two but more towards normal Knuckles because he's supposed to be almost as quick and agile as Sonic.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Literally every attempt to update Modern Sonic is met with massive backlash. 06 gave him gross lanky proportions and received derision and ridicule. Boom gave him a scarf and sports tape and became the biggest flop in the franchise. The movie turned him into a realistic gremlin and got so much hate they had to delay it for months and waste millions of dollars to fix their mess. I'd say this is all a sign that people like the way Sonic currently looks.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
No. Just.... no.

Adventure Sonic was pushing it in terms of redesign but Boom is just awful (Knuckles in particular being horrendous, both in design and characterization.)

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Surprised no one posted this yet. (It's even funnier with all the related gifs popping up from giphy when you hover over it.)

The cartoon was great, but everything about Sonic Boom should remain right where it is and stay there.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tails and Amy are great, I like Eggman, Sonic is fine, not a massive fan of Knuckles. Sticks is whatever, she makes me miss Cream lol (the similar color scheme reminds me of her).

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
No that shit looked terrible. The Sonic Boom designs were like a whole bunch of terrible ideas stitched together

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're pretty good designs for adventure game Sonic. I do wish they'd revisit the concept, though with a better development team. They do need to lose the bandages though.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Minus all the straps/bandages and Sonic's scarf and I agree with OP. Never understood the hatred. Even buff Knuckles works for me and makes sense.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
why are they wrapping their shoes with bandages?

why is knuckles a roided out meathead?

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
So I'm not really much of a Sonic fan, so I got no horse in this race

That said...I prefer the new designs, only issue I have is the overabundance of tape? It's a bit much

Tails especially just seems like an all-around upgrade to me

OP
OP
Don Fluffles

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately for you all, I'm an inverse reality warper.

The more you think and rant about how much you don't want Boom's designs, the more I shall make it so.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Worst Sonic design, okay Tails design, meh Knuckles design with an awful personality, and okay Amy design.
Sonic's best design is Tyson Hesse's and Toei's classic Sonic. Knuckles has looked fine since Adventure and even before, as has Tails.