• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you set your brightness in games?

• I follow the instructions

Votes: 671 26.9%
  • I make it brighter than the game wants

Votes: 1,434 57.4%
  • I make it darker than the game wants

Votes: 40 1.6%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 352 14.1%

• Total voters

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
iabvevaa1jx31.jpg
Lmaoooooo

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I usually leave it on default, but there are exceptions.

Like Undead Crypt in Dark Souls II, brightness to the max in that place.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I have already calibrated my screen using better tools so i leave this on default. if you follow those instructions you get massive black crush. no thank you

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I tend to follow the directions, or even make it a tad bit darker. If it turns out it's too dark, I adjust it later. You gotta have those shadows man.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
For sure brighter. My TVs are pretty crap and I never bother to really calibrate them so I just want to make sure I can see what I'm supposed to see. Maybe it's that I mostly play Souls games that have this feature, but I want to be damn sure I can see everything possible.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Instructions, I follow them. Horror games be damned!

I don't play horror games byself tho!

But I might need to for Last of Us 1. ☹

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely shocked at the poll results. People must be using their default display settings and those displays must have borked gamma.

The only game I can remember brightening is Persona 5.

Oct 25, 2017
My TV is weirdly set perfect for most games. If I notch it down the icon disappears and if I notch it up it's too bright. Yay my calibration I guess.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Just did this on Control PC last week and the rooms were pitch black to make it impossible to see what was in there, so I turned it up a bit.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Somehow I manage to make the game so dark it's almost unplayable whenever I follow the instructions for brightness setting.
I just stick to the default settings usually.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I have a lot of glare with my setup now, and the first thing I noticed since moving was that I couldn't see anything now. So I'm having to set most of my games to be brighter.

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
My TV is calibrated so usually the default setting for every game works enough for me. There are occasions where I turn up the in-game brightness up a few notch. Nothing too crazy though.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i try to follow the instructions, and then i change it if there's a problem

since i mainly play during daytime it's not unusual for me to need a brighter image

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I play on a plasma tv in a room with blackout curtains, so I set it like they want it. Maybe a bit darker sometimes.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread OP, I've always give slightly brighter and often wondered what other people do. Seems I'm not in the minority.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I usually go darker but I might go for that "creator's intent" feel now that I have an LG CX9.

And then I'll probably bump it back up a minute later...

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yepp I always go brighter. In fact, if a game or movie is too dark I generally get bored. I associate fun with brightness for whatever reason when it comes to TV. It could be one of the reasons why I find it easier to get into Nintendo games.
It's just called good taste.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I usually don't touch it. If your display is properly setup, you shouldn't have to touch it.

If the game has some fucked up gamma curve or something, I may touch it. But that's because devs fucked it up. Which they usually don't.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Since i calibrated my TV properly, i barely have to touch the in-game brightness/gamma settings. Prerhaps if it is full daylight and i have turned the backlight on the TV to maximum - then i would have to adjust some.

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
Absolutely.

I want those dark scenes to be dark on my OLED.

Bright should blind me for a second (and often do). It's awesome.

Came here to post this. I can see every last detail in the dark on my OLED without needing to worry about it being not visible. Yet bright parts in HDR are still super bright.

Oct 25, 2017
I follow the instructions but they never works, it only takes like 3 minutes into the game when the surrounding area is too dark you can't see anything I have to go into settings and brighten it up

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
In SDR, do you adjust to where you can "just" see it or to where it's comfortably discernible?

I still adjust to where I can 'just' see it as that is what the game tells me to do. And the picture is really good still, though the brightest bits don't pop quite as well as HDR obviously. Coming from an LCD before, I noticed how much lower I need the brightness sliders on an OLED.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost always too dark if you follow the instructions. Not sure what ultra-premium monitor stuff devs are using, but regular everyday TVs in people's homes clearly don't live with them.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Calibrate your tv's, people

This can be something really important for this hobby. Sharpness is another option so, so important.

I leave ingame brightness at default most of the time. Sometimes I dark the image a little when needed.

You guys brightening up the image are insane, you are fucking up with the contrast

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
On my previous TN panel I typically had to go a bit brighter to see anything in dark areas.
On my current IPS screen I leave it on default and I rarely have to mess around with it.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I usually try to stay close to the instructions, but pretty often I end up turning up the brightness slightly later on. I just find it very unpleasant on the eyes when a game gets dark enough that it becomes a hard time to see ahead of you properly, so unless that's part of the gameplay (like horror or stealth stuff) I prefer to turn it up a little. Really depends on the game though, some games just have the balance right from the get-go, but then you run into a game like Borderlands 3 where I feel like I have to turn up the brightness at inside locations and down again at outside locations every time.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was just me! I always put it brighter. I try o follow the instructions but it always looks like I'm missing important details in the shadows at that setting in most games.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
I adjust it so my eyes don't strain too much. Making it too dark is making me stumble in that dark and straining to see where I'm going.
I'm gonna adjust it so I have a good gaming experience.