• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhat disappointing. My biggest issue with my Quest 2 is the glare and smearing resulting from the fresnel lenses.

There's some stuff from SIE in the patent literature about fresnel lens arrangement and manufacturing, aimed at addressing flare and 'concentric rings'. Hopefully they've had some success there but we will see.

There's also a recent-ish patent on pixel element layout for enhanced perceived resolution in the binocular overlap zone - I wonder if that'll be an improved approach here over PSVR1, or just the same.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I can't wait to get one and really REALLY hope there's BC because there's a lot of good PSVR1 titles I never got to play.

As for PC support, we all know the community will figure out a way to hack some support for it if Sony doesn't officially. Considering it'll be single cable USB-C it'll be even easier than the tricks you'd have to do to get PSVR1 working.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
What's the benefit of the Quest 2's lower PPI with a similar resolution? Easier to achieve a given FoV with a larger display?

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Day 1 regardless. I hope they announce details soonish. I want to tick the preorder off my to do list
Out of curiosity what else would prompt you to buy it day one? Just to be an early adopter? Not judging, I got a PS4 day 1 and all I got was Killzone

PSVR 1 BC has some obstacles, Village hasn't been confirmed yet I don't think and the only Horizon footage we have is a glorified rail section.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Has there been any talk about the lenses? Those are almost as important as the screen, since personally, I find fresnel lens's issues rather distracting in the current VR solutions.
Sony have a recent patent for a new fresnel design which would eliminate the weird radial streaks of light and circular rings. It's a complex production process though. If they can produce it the way it's described, it would be much better than anything on the market.

They also have a patent for "folding" the optical path with polarization, so it can be a slimmer form factor from a shorter optical design. This is not a new concept, but I don't know if any VR used this yet.

No clue if any of this will be used for PSVR2, it would be really cool tech.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
That PPI jump is insane to me. I guess I never realised that the resolution bump is the same but even so, dayum.

Day 1 when Alyx releases.
PPI jump is there because the screens are smaller, which just mean that optics will have to zoom into that area harder [and even deliver a wider FOV]. The end result will be in the range of modern VR headsets, which is great.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Out of curiosity what else would prompt you to buy it day one? Just to be an early adopter? Not judging, I got a PS4 day 1 and all I got was Killzone

PSVR 1 BC has some obstacles, Village hasn't been confirmed yet I don't think and the only Horizon footage we have is a glorified rail section.
For me, I don't mind biting the bullet early when it comes to VR. It already has a hard enough hurdle when it comes to adoption rate. If I can be part of the initial numbers that determines interest, then hopefully I can help devs decide quicker on whether they want to develop for it or not, sooner rather than later.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the preordering for the PSVR2 will be a mad scramble like the PS5 or if it'll be more leisurely, especially considering only the PS5 install base can go for it. Sony seem to be doing everything right hardware wise so I'm sure there'll be lots of enthusiast interest.

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if we can get prescription lenses for this? I'm not too keen on smashing my glasses into my face anymore.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
This thing sounds too good to be true.

I hope it has the ability to watch 3D movies Day 1. It was a long wait for it to come to the first PSVR.

Oct 26, 2017
Exciting!

Curious to know how IPD adjustment will work. I think it was confirmed that there is some lens position adjustment.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
The article made some mistakes.
To put things in perspective, the original PSVR provided a PPI density of 386 for the entire display panel. Effectively, that means 193 PPI per eye if we're doing basic math.
PPI doesn't get split up this way.
If you split the resolution and the screen by 2, you still get the same "density".

Approximate PPI (per eye):
PSVR1: 960 / 2.5" = 384
PSVR2: 2000 / 2.5" = 800
Oculus Quest 2 should be more like ~600-700. (Don't know the screen size off hand)

Suggests a slightly smaller display.
PSVR1 had a 5.7" display. A PPI of over 800, would mean the display is at most 5.4", and perhaps as small as 4.9".

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Cool, can we see it?
I bet they're following their PS5 reveal strategy.
They've already shown the controllers by themselves just like they did with the PS5

and then CES was the Logo reveal

GDC will probably be a deep dive into the tech behind the headset with Mark Cerny

And then they'll have a VR State of Play in June that shows off the headset.

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It will be interesting to see how the theater mode has improved, assuming they bring it back. For people still playing on 1080p TVs, this might be a nice way for them to see non-VR games in 4k and HDR.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Sony would deliver yet again with their headset. PSVR1 already punched above its weight in many regards.

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
After coming to grips with it not being wireless my hype has been steadily increasing. I'll still have my 3080/Quest setup for wireless stuff but I'm buying this thing because I think Sony is going to have some kickass software that shows off the strengths of this headset. Games are going to look beautiful on this thing.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
This one of the rarest Console related hardwares that are very high end at the time of announcement and release.
Hopefully the PS5 is bulky enough to give aamzing results, if not PS5 Pro could cope with that and add more details.
I hope the sound part won't be neglected and that they won't pack it up with lame cheap earphones which will push many to invest in more advanced 3D headsets like Pulse or others.

After coming to grips with it not being wireless my hype has been steadily increasing. I'll still have my 3080/Quest setup for wireless stuff but I'm buying this thing because I think Sony is going to have some kickass software that shows off the strengths of this headset. Games are going to look beautiful on this thing.

Oh it's not wireless? Well wait a year and Sony will release a wireless version like hwo they released an improved PSVR box that can connect to HDR TVs after a year.

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it has the ability to watch 3D movies Day 1. It was a long wait for it to come to the first PSVR.
Me too, the experience should be fantastic this time with this new much higher res 4K screen (and the color handling of a new hdr-capable oled panel, even if 3D Blu-ray itself won't do HDR), so I agree, hope we don't have to wait.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I like VR and the PSVR2 is the defacto one for me for a number of reasons. I don't own a PC anymore, I prefer seated VR, have a PS5, etc.

I sold my PSVR 1 over Christmas but even some of b\c games would justify the new one. Wipeout in VR is worth the price of admission alone, hope it gets a patch but new screen should improve it regardless

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I'm just super pissed that you need a PS5 + this to experience VR. I will have to wait to get a PS5, and then will have to spend another pretty penny for this.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This headset is full beast mode. Wish the fov was bigger but can't have it all. So excited to see what games are being made for it.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait to try this out. The leap between PSVR1 and PSVR2 is monstrous in every respect

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
There were some articles about a year ago of 10,000 ppi micro OLEDs. Are those coming anytime soon?

Also, does the higher ppi of the PSVR2 actually lead to a better image than the Quest 2 if they have similar resolution?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm really excited for this. I haven't jumped into VR yet as I just haven't had the time to put into using it, so I could never justify spending the money on a headset. I'll be buying this headset though. And it sounds like the its going to be an awesome piece of tech. Really hoping they release some type of wireless solution at some point.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Inside out tracking is worlds better improvement than going wireless, at least for me.
This thing will easily be $500-600 at launch.
If it's over $400, I'll eat a hat.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
There were some articles about a year ago of 10,000 ppi micro OLEDs. Are those coming anytime soon?

Also, does the higher ppi of the PSVR2 actually lead to a better image than the Quest 2 if they have similar resolution?
They'll look very similarly sharp. The main benefits from the PSVR2's display is going to be in better contrast and reduced size (they have a very small display). But it will need to be zoomed in on more. PPD is more appropriate for VR

Disgustipated

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they do something with GT7 for PSVR2, like make everything playable in VR. Really enjoy ACC and AMS2 on PC in VR on my Rift S, and this would look way better than that presumably.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
PPI jump is there because the screens are smaller, which just mean that optics will have to zoom into that area harder [and even deliver a wider FOV]. The end result will be in the range of modern VR headsets, which is great.
They'll look very similarly sharp. The main benefits from the PSVR2's display is going to be in better contrast and reduced size (they have a very small display). But it will need to be zoomed in on more. PPD is more appropriate for VR
The screens are not that much smaller, the AndroidCentral writer made a math error.
PPI doesn't divide this way:
To put things in perspective, the original PSVR provided a PPI density of 386 for the entire display panel. Effectively, that means 193 PPI per eye if we're doing basic math.

PSVR2 is about 2x the resolution per axis, so it would come out to 772 PPI if it used the same screen size.
PSVR2 looks like it will likely be using a 5.2±0.2" screen, compared to the 5.7" screen on PSVR1.

Sep 13, 2020
So I'm a little bit of a novice in the resolution, fov, etc. conversation when it comes to dev and such. Does having a wider fov totally torpedo back-compat with psvr1 titles or is it as easy as just limiting the fov when playing vr1 titles on a vr2 (if back-compat happens)?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Oh it's not wireless? Well wait a year and Sony will release a wireless version like hwo they released an improved PSVR box that can connect to HDR TVs after a year.

I've made my peace with it. I'm buying this day one.

Inside out tracking is worlds better improvement than going wireless, at least for me.

I feel you. My current frame of reference is a Quest but if I had to pick out of the two I would probably also pick inside out tracking. I've noticed with Half Life Alex just how much I turn around as I'm searching rooms but I used to have a Vive so I also know that it's manageable. I can't imagine going from a PSVR1 to this monster. It's going to blow people away.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
800ppi? This thing is top tier quality VR.
I hope the PS5 can actually keep up and output the level of quality in virtual worlds that we desire...

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
What's the benefit of the Quest 2's lower PPI with a similar resolution? Easier to achieve a given FoV with a larger display?

Ultimately PPI is meaningless. It's not a phone being viewed with the naked eye. It means your magnification needs to be different. You zoom out less with micro displays, but you're still looking through lenses and viewing things at a distance. PPI is irrelevant in pixels per degree with VR (because of the second step of the process just detailed).

Biggest benefit to micro displays, I would assume, is size and weight that the HMD needs to be (assuming you can work out the optics). Tradeoff is a lot of boutique HMDs with really small screens and high PPI have actually had smaller than average FOV. And Sony's HMZ-T1, which used micro displays, had a horrible time making it comfortable because of the weird optics it used. There wasn't any space for my big nose because of this. So while it has size/weight benefits, it also comes with more issues to solve too.

Nov 29, 2018
I passed on the first PSVR because I felt the technology was still not at the point where I was willing to put a good amount of money on it but I will be there day one for PSVR2.
Can't wait to see the complete reveal. And hopefully some killer new games for it.