• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
With YouTube now pushing 2-3 ads at the start of videos i won't be surprised to see them follow the same path. Advertising and data mining has gotten very bloated and aggressive lately.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Twitch.tv is considered as a separate subsidiary apart from Amazon? Meaning, it's autonomous to Amazon, and Amazon can't influence the decisions by Twitch.tv staffs?
Subsidiary means Amazon can fire the Twitch staff if they want.

They might be treated separately, but that's Amazon's choice. At the end of the day, Amazon is in control.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I've already gotten used to it when they took the twitch prime ad-less away, but it really does discourage peaking into random streams when you get longer ads.

Oct 27, 2017
No ads here on Safari using Ub Origin. If I ever do get stuck with ads on Twitch, I'll just delete the link. I dont use it much anyway.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I gladly sub and donate a lot to streamers I enjoy but that doesn't mean I should have to deal with shitty ads interrupting the stream when they're in the middle of something and I can't see it because of a fucking ad. I have Twitch Prime for a reason, to support the streamers, so why the fuck do I need to spend more than 100 on being able to turn them off. Don't mind if it's one ad when starting the stream and that's it

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
With YouTube now pushing 2-3 ads at the start of videos i won't be surprised to see them follow the same path. Advertising and data mining has gotten very bloated and aggressive lately.

Exactly, it's a real issue. Anyone accusing someone of being a "freeloader" is hilarious.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even before this, ublock became unusable for me. I mean, it blocks ads but it makes streams literally unwatchable, buffering every 30 secs. I disable it and stream becomes buttery smooth. Fuck twitch.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The day it stops working is the day I stop using the website. One of the biggest problems with this is preroll ads as soon as you click on a stream and another one is that if you're not a "true" partner you have no control over ads. If I turn on my stream for a friend and they dont have adblock, Twitch is just automatically running 30 second ads on my stream that I have literally no control over.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's not freeloading. It's called wasting your time. Kills discovery of different streamers/channels when you have to sit through an unskippable 30 second ad just to find its an empty chair or someone just sitting around talking about their cousin's wedding while Smash Bros is just playing in an intro loop.
This is a good point, though I do think there are ways around this that could still enable a pre-roll ad. That said, I'm surprised it took Twitch this long to circumvent ad-blocking software. It seems pretty obvious to just embed the commercials into the stream itself so there's no means of the software detecting the difference.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
If you aren't using Streamlink + Chatty (or Chatterino) you aren't watching Twitch correctly. I haven't had an ad watching Twitch in over 2 and a half years.

Plenty of videos on YouTube on how to set it up. I could not watch Twitch otherwise because streamers are getting so big now that in between games they are putting up 4 minute ad blocks.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how competition tends to follow the leader they first tried to disrupt.

darkfall

Apr 11, 2018
I don't mind the ads if it can be skipped. Every time I try to watch tournaments, the *** ads just stays there forever and causing me to miss the important moments. Especially for tournaments that have like 4 streams happening at the same time, why I have to watch the ads when switching between streams again and again and again.

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
I never skip my Lenovo gaming laptop ads.

"Stylish on the outside, SAVAGE on the inside".

WIsh turbo was cheaper though but I'm ok with prime + subbing to people I watch.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Duck, now i am afraid for my little brothers, on YouTube some time there is some "non family" ads, so i had to install as block on their PC, they also watch some twitch.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Is this sort of shit bannable on Era? What separates this type of response from general admission of piracy?

I hate ads too, but there's no reasonable argument for expecting Twitch to be free, with no ads.
Wait...you are advocating banning someone off of ResetEra for stating they don't want to use Twitch anymore because of their ad implementation? and you correlated it with piracy for some reason?

Am I getting that right? Is that what you're saying?

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So people who didn't watch ads before so streamers couldn't be compensated are going to stop visiting twitch so that streamers won't be compensated?

Seems about right.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want to ban people for not wanting to use twitch? Some straight clown shit, mate.

Of course not. But some basic reading comprehension shows that the quoted poster is going to stop Twitch now that ad blockers don't work.
I'm sure if someone announced that Switch piracy had been eliminated, and a user said 'no more Switch for me' - there would be an issue.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. But some basic reading comprehension shows that the quoted poster is going to stop Twitch now that ad blockers don't work.
I'm sure if someone announced that Switch piracy had been eliminated, and a user said 'no more Switch for me' - there would be an issue.

It'd be an issue for that user maybe. I don't really see why you'd care enough to advocate a ban based off some situation you made up based off of a five word sentence.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait...you are advocating banning someone off of ResetEra for stating they don't want to use Twitch anymore because of their ad implementation? and you correlated it with piracy for some reason?

Am I getting that right? Is that what you're saying?

Of course it's related to piracy? Twitch only make a return on their content by getting a subscription, or selling ads. I'm not sure why deliberately circumventing the ads and expecting their product for free, is viewed as significantly different than the general piracy of paid content.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's related to piracy? Twitch only make a return on their content by getting a subscription, or selling ads. I'm not sure why deliberately circumventing the ads and expecting their product for free, is viewed as significantly different than the general piracy of paid content.
I honestly didn't think you would double down on your ridiculous statement.

Color me surprised lol

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017

Blocking ads is ethically questionable, but it's not piracy or even illegal you dolt.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I can tell you right now, I've seen the same Logitech headset ad at least 100 times now and I will ABSOLUTELY never buy it because that ad pisses me off

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Current Firefox and uBlock, I purged the caches and refreshed all the lists, and so far tonight I'm not getting Twitch ads. I was getting them yesterday.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten the same Yoshi's Crafted World ad before every stream today and boy does it start to get annoying after a while. At least it's something I'm interested in I guess.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Giving me a Twitch sub for free with my Amazon Plus is the best thing the platform ever did.