• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Because it's a world where interdimensional probing was a known field of science being publically studied and the creature seemed to come from an interdimensional breach that was no one's fault and wiped out an entire city in the process.

A more different threat from somewhere else. The single thing that has always united human tribes throughout our entire existence.
Wait, what? If it was an accident, A) that would be blamed on the "reckless experiments" being conducted, and B) wouldn't imply any sort of ongoing threat.

I thought the implication was that there were alien squids with teleportation tech and the one in New York was a scout or probe, meaning more might be on the way?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? If it was an accident, A) that would be blamed on the "reckless experiments" being conducted, and B) wouldn't imply any sort of ongoing threat.

I thought the implication was that there were alien squids with teleportation tech and the one in New York was a scout or probe, meaning more might be on the way?
The experiments weren't reckless as far as anyone could tell and it was reported in the end of the book as seemingly having been an accident. It was the fact that one of these things accidentally showing up and dying was enough to kill three million people that put the world on guard. Because the first incursion wasn't intentional, as far as anyone could tell, but now they (whatever species this was) knew that humanity was there and could be a future threat.

If people thought it was a deliberate invasion then no follow up would cause people to start asking questions. It being an accident that was still catastrophic meant they would have to be ever vigilant just in case.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
220px-Stalker_poster.jpg

Tarkovsky's Stalker. Of course Roadside Picnic is a great novel, but Tarkovsky's interpretation/adaption is on its own very interesting, especially with his themes of metaphysics.

Same goes for his adaption of Solaris.

Oct 27, 2017
with how different a lot of Power Rangers seasons are compared to their original Sentai counterparts sometimes I wonder if Power Rangers should just go 100% original, especially since they got Hasbro money to work with now

If the current comics are anything to go by, then a 100% original Power Rangers could be pretty good.

Though I do like the tradition of using the Super Sentai suits and robots. I would hope they'd continue that in some form.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Every addition by Cuaron was better than the original. I wish WB hired more creative directors to put some of the JK Rowling bullshit out of the window.

I mean, the theory of Longbottom as the Chosen One was great.

I'm confused. Neville being a potential Chosen One is part of the books. Or are you being sarcastic?

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Big Hero Six. I doubt many have read the original comic but it was basically a Japanese superhero team with borderline-offensive names, as generic as can be. I'm not even sure why Disney licensed it at all instead of creating their own from whole cloth, considering how far apart the premise of the animated film is from the original.

This

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I preferred the ending of The Town over Prince of Thieves. The book ending was too much melodramatic love-triangle bullshit for my tastes.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
In the "adaptation wasn't super good, but better than the original" category:

"Hannibal" the novel ended with Clarice and Hannibal Lecter fucking and then running away together to go be cannibal serial killers in the Carribbean. Think fans of the Silence of the Lambs film would have been thrown if Hannibal the film ended that way.

The "Dexter" novel series had an entire chapter where Dexter's "dark passenger" (in the show a metaphor for his urge to kill and sociopathy) is revealed to be the child of an old God poisoning his mind and making him (and others) into serial killers. I think even Dexter becomes a Lumberjack is a better plot twist than that.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017
Does Disney throwing out all the Star Wars EU count? I'm sorry but that whole thing was a mess. Starting clean was a good decision.

I'd guess, but TC says "for the better". The EU is infinitely better than the ST, and the EU has Jacen Solo, a better-written Kylo Ren, and most importantly, No TLJ. You can't have TLJ on your side and be superior.

To answer the question at hand, it doesn't throw it out per se, but The Expanse/Leviathan Wakes. If you've seen the show, it's great, but there's three main characters: Holden, Miller, and Avasarala. The last one isn't a character until book 2, but the showrunners threw her in from the get go, a full season and a half before she shows up in the books. It works for the better.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Generator Rex was a bland and obscure comic book but the adaptation was a vast improvement over the original source.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
The Wizard of Oz is better off for dedicating part of the movie to establishing Dorothy's home life in Kansas as the book has the tornado come in almost immediately. The film also introduces the Wicked Witch of the West earlier and makes her the main antagonist whereas in the book she only comes in after Oz asks Dorothy to kill her.

There's also the small matter of changing some shoes from silver to red...

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I watched through all of death note anime for the first time on netflix around a year ago and then watched this straight after and am 100% with you

What did you like about it? I felt like it missed pretty much everything about what made Death Note good, except for maybe the very last scene.

My favorite adaptations are probably still the Japanese movies, because they actually follow the manga quite closely until a... certain point, when they decide to just cut the bullshit second half of the whole series and give it a better ending.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Didn't he die in the book?
He did. He was also a completely unlikable prick who is a clear author avatar for Michael Crichton to tell everyone how wrong they are and dies a martyr. Movie Malcolm is a much better character.

Concerning Jurassic Park as well--the middle of the book is basically a long slog through the park that the movie was wise to cut, and the book also had an extended and completely unnecessary ending sequence where they blow up a raptor nest that the movie axed for the better. The movie's choice to kill the lawyer Gennarro and have Ellie play most of his roles was a wise choice too, Ellie does basically nothing the entire book despite being one of only two main female characters. The choice to change the kids by making Lex the older one and giving her Tim's computer skills from the novel was a smart change too, book Lex was worthless.

I think on the whole the film doesn't really get the books' themes across quite as well as the book does but the film works much, much better as an adventure story where the book is slow and ponderous.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Snyder's Watchmen ending makes zero sense and misses the entire point, much like the rest of the movie.

plus the squid tied up a lot of the seemingly unrelated narrative points from the books (which were mostly dropped in the movie iirc-- i'm not subjecting myself to that turd again)

Yep. Movie doesn't mention the spree of supposedly random kidnappings that are happening in the background.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Annihilation. The movie. Heard that is pretty different from the book, and better for it.

It's fairly different. It keeps the surreal environment and that's about it. The book has it's own charm though. I wouldn't say one is better because the book managed to make me unsettled which I think is pretty impressive for a media you largely have to imagine through description.

I love the movie though because it visualizes the unknown so fucking well. And I like that it added the overarching theme of change after a traumatic event whereas the book was more open ended.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
"America's super weapon destroyed a bunch of capitols around the world and backfired on the US too. Clearly the world must unite as one to defend ourselves against the threat of the super weapon the US created with no punitive punishment for the US."
LOL

The idea was good, but the execution had fata fundamental flaws.

So Snyder.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Pick a Mark Millar movie adaptation or an Mcu movie inspired by his books

Logan counts too

None of them are amazing but they all tend to either de edge the story by removing stuff for the better or take the basic premise and do away with everything else

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Every addition by Cuaron was better than the original. I wish WB hired more creative directors to put some of the JK Rowling bullshit out of the window.

Also half blood prince definitely benefited from that added action scene. The book itself is more of a prologue to Deathly Hallows

ThatGuyfromMars

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jurassic Park. Spielberg did an adaption but merged and changed parts of the book, removing a fairly gruesome death of Nedry, and changing personalities of certain characters, Alan is more amiable toward children in the book, but in the film he grows from hating children to tolerating them, and Hammond is a horrible man in the books, using his own grandchildren just to get his visitors to sign off on his park, Gennaro's character, he's a badass in the book, he punches a fucking raptor, and survives, where in the film he's more Gerry Harding, a coward. Malcolm, as a previous user stated, is an asshole in the novel, whereas the film makes him into this rockstar mathematician, and it's Jeff Goldblum.

I end up liking V for Vendetta more because they made a lot of liberties with the source material, especially with V, making him more of a charismatic freedom fighter rather than this ruthless brutal anarchist.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I mean not even counting the horrific ending, the Usagi Drop manga gets significantly worse after the time skip. Anime ends it while the story is still good, making it automatically better.

Oct 25, 2017

He didn't change that much, I don't think it really applies to this topic.

For me, the choice to turn Hammond from Evil Capitalist Walt Disney to Tragic Hero Walt Disney in the film Jurassic Park is just one of many, many better ideas they had. Crichton could make some good set pieces, but the film understands what it should be about and does it, ignoring all the terrible stuff that would have died on screen.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
The Mask.

The original comic book is basically Stanley Ipkiss - the loser nerd who spends his time watching cartoons - using the mask's powers to get gruesome revange on everyone who ever made fun of him or who he simply dislikes. From the moment he puts the mask on, to the very end, it's basically a bloody murder spree.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Annihilation. The movie. Heard that is pretty different from the book, and better for it.
It's better for it in so much as the book is impossible to adapt into a movie as written

It's fairly different. It keeps the surreal environment and that's about it. The book has it's own charm though. I wouldn't say one is better because the book managed to make me unsettled which I think is pretty impressive for a media you largely have to imagine through description.

I love the movie though because it visualizes the unknown so fucking well. And I like that it added the overarching theme of change after a traumatic event whereas the book was more open ended.
I would say there is a kind of existential dread in the book that the movie tries to capture the spirit of, but the book conveys it in a deeper, more abstract way.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Starship Troopers will always be my go-to for this.

Also, I'm gonna catch a lot of hell for this, but I think the first live action Rurouni Kenshin film is a better version of that arc than the manga or anime versions. I like the second and third films just fine, but in particular I think the first movie adapts its material really really well and cuts the fat.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Annihilation - I think the film melts the book down into the most philosophically interesting bits and assembles them in a visually interesting way. The book as written is pretty much impossible to adapt.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Fuck the fans, don't @ me. The film adds way more tension that wasn't really present in the book and is told in a super visual way that adds to the story.

Jurassic Park - Controversial take but I think juxtaposing the horrific nature of the dinosaurs with the wonder they inspire is something that works better for the story. The books more straightforward approach always felt too one dimensional to me, right down to the silly Mary Shelley way that John Hamond dies to his own creation. The film has elements of optimism regarding the reemergence of dinosaurs that the book remains mostly cynical about.

I'm going to get heat from this, but I prefer Snyder's Watchmen ending, instead of the dumb squid.
Preach. I think the point* of the squid was to show how the only thing that could unite mankind was this ridiculous Lovecraftian other dimensional being rather than something more predictable than diplomacy or Dr Manhattan. But the visual of the squid monster and the magical nature of it just seems so... Out of place? I'm sure there are people who think that's the point but it just comes off as incredibly corny to me.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Annihilation - I think the film melts the book down into the most philosophically interesting bits and assembles them in a visually interesting way. The book as written is pretty much impossible to adapt.
I wouldn't say it hits the philosophical points of the book though. He basically took the imagery and made his own message out of it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Constantine

I'm not saying they couldn't have made a great film if they had stayed true to the comics, but the film version is great without it.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

God no.

The Mask.

The original comic book is basically Stanley Ipkiss - the loser nerd who spends his time watching cartoons - using the mask's powers to get gruesome revange on everyone who ever made fun of him or who he simply dislikes. From the moment he puts the mask on, to the very end, it's basically a bloody murder spree.

There is....room for a faithful mask adaptation.

But that is a horror comedy opposed to what the Jim Carrey Mask was.

The Boys.

I hate the comic so much. The show is fantastic.

I would also say Wanted was much better than it's source.

Kingsmen as well.

This gives me hope for the Body Bags adaptation that's being made, because that comic just feels like a reason to draw a 14 year old with huge breasts.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
What did you like about it? I felt like it missed pretty much everything about what made Death Note good, except for maybe the very last scene.

My favorite adaptations are probably still the Japanese movies, because they actually follow the manga quite closely until a... certain point, when they decide to just cut the bullshit second half of the whole series and give it a better ending.
I just really didn't like the anime and thought the US movie was fine. It's been over a year so I can't go super deep on why but I do remember the anime being waaay too long and collapsing under the weight of how convoluted it got. The Japanese movies sound like they'd be more up my alley.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Honestly I am generally mixed to antipathic to Disney adaptation decisions, but I'll always enjoy the cartoon world and the fact that the bad guys are the bank.
Speaking of Disney adaptations, is Frozen still considered an adaptation of HCA's the Snow Queen? Because they changed that completely. Though i guess you can say that about most of their animated adaptations (but hey, Lion King is original, really!)