• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
EHCttUiXYAAG23k.jpg:large

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Fuck Lebron.

Also I don't see how the Chinese Lebron names are racist, unless there's some sort of historical context I'm missing.

Y'all make Juan/One jokes all the time and I've yet to see any claims of racism then

Edit: Just to be clear, I wasn't deciding on this post that it wasn't racist and I'm not going to decide what terms are offensive for any other minority group other than my own. Was just saying I didn't see it, and I'm willing to own up to being obtuse

Last edited:

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Fuck Lebron.

Also I don't see how the Chinese Lebron names are racist, unless there's some sort of historical context I'm missing.

Y'all make Juan/One jokes all the time and I've yet to see any claims of racism then
Thanks for telling us Asians what is and what isn't racist.

Don't dismiss other people's claims cause you don't want to report or call people out for other racist shit.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I don't really care about the NBA or anything, but.... Good. It would have been disturbing if the NBA had capitulated to a foreign brutal totalitarian state over this.

Jun 17, 2019
The only racial mocking I see are from LeBron stans. I suspect they're trolls. The "For Honk Kong and "Fuck Ching James", are particularly offensive.

That's the ones Im looking at. There's an entire thread about that sort of attitude regarding the Asian members of ERA and how this sort of stuff is hurting them.

Like I agree that lebron James needs to shut up and not be a Scrooge, but the comments here. Yikes!

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of naming China directly, this was the only outcome Silver could do. Fire him and lawsuits begin. NBA will take a hit in the US, but also every other market that isn't a fan of China. In a year or so, Morey is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they've worked something out with China already to prevent it from happening again and his wording is very clear he supports Morey to say what he wants, not that he supports Hong Kong. Nor do I think the NBA likes being told to fire owners, GM, etc based upon what they say on twitter by the players. I'm sure all the rest of the Owners are looking for excuses to remove his ass anyways. NBA comes out looking strong in the US, this flies over in China in a bit with no more incidents occurring and matters go back to normal. China probably doesn't want to lose the money either of what the NBA brings in. In the end, money still wins.

Basically the only real loser going forward is going to be LeBron's dumbass. Because it now discredits every past action as was he doing it for the money or because he believed in the cause. Dude should have stopped after the first comment and realized he was going in the wrong direction.

Interesting read. Let's see if Morey sticks around.

In any case, it's a relief that the NBA didn't give in to China's demands - at least publicly/officially. Because elsewhere in the world, there are too many powers that be who toss aside sense and principles and sell out. I didn't expect this from Adam Silver. I'm not saying he was upholding some lofty morals here. But just affirming the prerogative of the NBA to make its own management decisions at the cost of losing all that money: I'm impressed.

The NBA is losing money either way. Support China it hurts your western buisness, Support Democracy it hurts Chinese buisness.

Silver did the math and chose USD over Yen. He was never putting himself at risk

hey man, yen isn't the currency of China.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019

Don't dismiss other people's claims cause you don't want to report or call people out for other racist shit.

Just to be clear, I wasn't deciding that it wasn't racist and I'm not going to decide what terms are offensive for any other minority group other than my own. Was just saying I didn't see it, and I'm willing to own up to being obtuse

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018

Don't worry, not even every Asians have the same taste for humor. I am Asian and if He wants to bow in China in Qing Dynasty style, then he deserve to be called just that.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I disagree. Morey fucked up, plain and simple.
Losing money doesn't make you right.
I may have phrased it wrong. Money is symptomatic of the problem.
Not wrong about choosing money over human lives? Fuck that stupid sentiment.
He didn't say this. No one said this. Morey didn't think about the ramifications of that tweet. At the end of the day he runs a business. He fucked his business. No one is going to out right say it because of how it would look but I guarantee no one in the league is pleased about that tweet. I support the right to say it, and I agree with the sentiment. I, in his position wouldn't have said it. PR exists for a reason. I 100% support the NBA just saying fuck China. Still given that people's lives are wrapped up in it, a discussion between ownership and players needed to occur. You can't just say what you want to or feel in that type of position. Regardless of how you feel you represent an organization of multiple people. LeBron again should've kept his mouth shut, but I'm not gonna pretend I don't get it and that he's necessarily wrong. He isn't. This is about more than money imo.

Jun 17, 2019
Just to be clear, I wasn't deciding that it wasn't racist and I'm not going to decide what terms are offensive for any other minority group other than my own. Was just saying I didn't see it, and I'm willing to own up to being obtuse

Best way to put it is that the choice of words comes off as the same as me, a white person, using some ebonics like language to describe him or the word Boy, which can carry some big negative connotations for blacks here in the states.

The Juan thing can be shitty too, especially if it's being used to act like someone is lower than you.

I get the point of seeing him bowing to a dynasty, but it can also carry some f'd up connotations in there. Hell one could argue that the next step would be some asshole on another site saying that he's being put in his place by Silver, or that hes bowing to his masters.

And I even feel gross just thinking this because you know some alt rights ass is probably thinking the same thing.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
For a government that likes to piss and moan endlessly about foreign interference the CCP should like to do it.

Maybe they need to get in touch with the very little things and some careful thought.
abaf2afba3ef02352a64dbc566cd7b05.jpg

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): racism, prior severe infraction

To be fair, if your little bitch wants to be Chinese, it's racially insensitive to nickname it anything other than Chinese-related. You just have to respect its choice, pet or not. Else, emotionally and spiritually many hurt... :( Poor puppy.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are giving Morey way too much credit.

If he meant what he tweeted, he wouldn't delete the tweet and hide like a coward while having the rest of the NBA especially the players deal with the fallout.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
To be fair, if your little bitch wants to be Chinese, it's racially insensitive to nickname it anything other than Chinese-related. You just have to respect its choice, pet or not. Else, emotionally and spiritually many hurt... :( Poor puppy.

I've honestly been wondering where the line is when it comes to puns and jokes.

All the playing on words you're seeing on Lebron's name referencing historic Chinese people, places, dynasties etc. Or altering/ blending images of Mao and their current president w Lebron's face, that cartoon comic posted where he is dressed as a Chinese soldier in Tiananmen Square...

I tried to think for example for me*, if Lebron shilled for Mexico and people came with
"LeJuan James" , " Pancho James" , made images of Lebron's face with a sombrero and mustache , etc. I personally wouldn't care, I would get it, but I would not question at all someone taking offense to it .

I think it's just too serious a topic to risk derailing discussion with jokes that are tacky at best , racist at worst.

But yea, is all of that above considered inherently racist? Actually asking , not " just asking questions"

* I am Mexican which is why I chose this example.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019

All the playing on words you're seeing on Lebron's name referencing historic Chinese people, places, dynasties etc. Or altering/ blending images of Mao and their current president w Lebron's face, that cartoon comic posted where he is dressed as a Chinese soldier in Tiananmen Square...

I tried to think for example for me*, if Lebron shilled for Mexico and people came with
"LeJuan James" , " Pancho James" , made images of Lebron's face with a sombrero and mustache , etc. I personally wouldn't care, I would get it, but I would not question at all someone taking offense to it .

I think it's just too serious a topic to risk derailing discussion with jokes that are tacky at best , racist at worst.

But yea, is all of that above considered inherently racist? Actually asking , not " just asking questions"

i don't think the image i posted of Lebron as Mao would be insensitive as the word play names

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
This implying Asians can't have anything but Asian names but go on with your trying to rationalize your shit behavior.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
*Meant to quote ThousandEyes*

Yea that's why I'm asking where exactly the line crossing into racism is, political cartoons especially do that sort of thing all the time

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure where the line is either with the nicknames and graphics. But below is where the line gets sharp and clear:

Using broken English to mock Chinese. Unequivocally racist. And casts light on the motivation of some who really really really want to use those nicknames.

edit: I'm aware of Lebron saying that people could've been harmed "physically, emotionally, spiritually." It's fair game for mockery. But twisting the syntax and grammar to sound like broken English - as a weak attempt to imitate accented English - is foul.

Last edited:

realSentientStone

alt account
Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Many countries and territories integrate polarization as part of the story of its identity... the enemy if you will is but perception. Things are just getting worse as everything becomes fueled by groupthink memes and black and white antagonization on both sides: East vs West, Democrats vs Republicans, America vs China. Yet reality is not so simple, and is in a way much more humorous than memes.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

The words Qing and Ching are one the acceptable possible origins of the racial slur, "chink", and seeing that posted here, and given the recent events and Era's increasing anti Asian posts, just rubs me the wrong way.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
modpost - reiterating forum rules

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
It's fine if you want to criticize LeBron or the Chinese government, but doing so using racist jokes, tropes, and language is, and always has been, totally unacceptable. Anyone doing so will be actioned severely.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are giving Morey way too much credit.

If he meant what he tweeted, he wouldn't delete the tweet and hide like a coward while having the rest of the NBA especially the players deal with the fallout.

He deleted the tweet because he was getting brigaded, threatened, and harassed by pro-Chinese government accounts to the tune of two per second.

He's the only fucking person in the entire league who has said anything pro Hong Kong, there is no such thing as too much credit where this is concerned.

It's hilarious you call him a coward when literally everyone in his business is dead silent and pissed off at him for what he tweeted. The people you claim are dealing with the fallout are the cowards.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to give him that much credit. Rockets ownership is waiting Morey to sneeze in the wrong direction as an excuse to fire him.

Jun 17, 2019
Shou
I'm not sure where the line is either with the nicknames and graphics. But below is where the line gets sharp and clear:

Using broken English to mock Chinese. Unequivocally racist. And casts light on the motivation of some who really really really want to use those nicknames.
[/QU

Yeah it's making me side eye a lot here. Wonder if the posters that are saying these things would be a okay with jokes based on James nationality.

I get cheering that he got shot down. but seriously yikes.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Good faith question: Why is posting pictures making LeBron look like a Chinese military member, or look like Mao not racist mocking, but making his name resemble Chinese names is racist mocking? They both don't seem to be trying to mock how Chinese people look (the pictures) or how they sound (the names.)

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Glad he stood up against the assholes at home (Lebron) and the ones aboard(China) that wanted the NBA to bend to the Chinese will.

Last edited:

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Just so the mods are aware, Chinese currency is called Yuan, hence Chinese money + Lebron. I don't think it was meant to be a joke based on "lol, Chinese name".

Though with all the thinly veiled racism going on, I can see why the joke may be considered problematic.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
He didn't say this. No one said this. Morey didn't think about the ramifications of that tweet. At the end of the day he runs a business. He fucked his business. No one is going to out right say it because of how it would look but I guarantee no one in the league is pleased about that tweet. I support the right to say it, and I agree with the sentiment. I, in his position wouldn't have said it. PR exists for a reason. I 100% support the NBA just saying fuck China. Still given that people's lives are wrapped up in it, a discussion between ownership and players needed to occur. You can't just say what you want to or feel in that type of position. Regardless of how you feel you represent an organization of multiple people. LeBron again should've kept his mouth shut, but I'm not gonna pretend I don't get it and that he's necessarily wrong. He isn't. This is about more than money imo.

This right here is why we'll never get proper LGBTQ+ protections in america.

"This is a business, and we have to cater to the centrist attitudes or else we'll lose money, and it's not really up to us if these people continue to be marginalized".

This is why we are fucked for the foreseeable future.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
It's not. LeBron sold out and the moniker is apropos.

Would we have an issue with Donald Trum₽ or Rubli Giuliani?
Or Franc-N-Stein. But seriously, as someone who is Asian, I wouldn't mind someone explaining to me how "LeYuan James" is anything other than a really funny and timely joke. Who is reading that and feeling hated?