• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I want to agree but every other international business is bowing to the dollar.

I don't think he deserves praise. I think the NBA is protecting their interest. If they fire someone for an innocuous comment about HK they'd have the US government up their ass, and none of the owners would want that. At the end of the day, they're still a US company and I really don't think they'd want that sort of attention.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
It kind of insane, things like this can only escalate. Chinas government thinks it owns the world and takes offence at everything.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
The Arena in China is still packed and the Chinese TV are still broadcasting it. Maybe they finally realize China is nothing but a paper tiger. Hey, afterall, what they are going to watch? CBA for the whole season? LUL

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this was also a calculated decision. The blowback would have been much worse if they had fired Morey for it.

Yeah, but he didn't have to go the extra mile and say "We won't even discipline him." When they're demanding he be fired and Silver is like, that's not happening and in fact we're not even going to slap his wrists, that's tantamount to saying, "Fuck you, China." At least that's how I'm reading it.

Still might be a calculated business decision, but it's a pretty firm stance.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that silver told them there is no chance in anything happening even discipline action makes me so damn glad.

thank you Adam silver, you understand that you have a platform that stands for freedom of speech

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yay...I guess? No shit you don't fire or punish someone for making that tweet. They'll find a way to blackball him anyway like they did Craig Hodges back in the day.

/golfclap

Pretty much, he spoke out and no one backed him up on his BS. Wonderful

Privately almost everyone in the NBA is backing him. There are reports that the NBA is overwhelming in the "fuck Morey" camp.

I appreciate that statement but have a hard time squaring it with some of the comments Steve Kerr, LeBron, and James Harden have made. Maybe they're toeing the line because it affects everyone's paycheck, but it sure looked like they were told to not say anything that could even obliquely be construed as China criticism.

LeBron was in a meeting and asked Silver to punish Morey. Then they held a players meeting where the players, led by LeBron, agreed to all say silent. They're toeing the line over money, not because they were told to do so.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Better response than the very start, but definitely the best response we've had out of basically anyone involved so far.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think he deserves praise. I think the NBA is protecting their interest. If they fire someone for an innocuous comment about HK they'd have the US government up their ass, and none of the owners would want that. At the end of the day, they're still a US company and I really don't think they'd want that sort of attention.

Hahahahaha. Companies are doing shit like this all the time and the US government doesn't give a flying fuck.

Maybe Morey gets fired and files a civil lawsuit in whatever jurisdiction his contract allows or more likely confidential binding arbitration. Maybe he doesn't lose the counterclaim showing the loss of millions in revenue due to his actions.

The NBA took a massive hit in their biggest overseas market backing Morey and they should be praised for it. More companies need to do the same.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We don't have a team in St Louis so I've always just wanted to watch Lebron lose. Can I hop on the Pelicans bandwagon? I feel like I should support someone willing to lose money for human rights advancement.

LittleBee

alt account
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
v9ngkcwzi5t31.jpg

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of naming China directly, this was the only outcome Silver could do. Fire him and lawsuits begin. NBA will take a hit in the US, but also every other market that isn't a fan of China. In a year or so, Morey is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they've worked something out with China already to prevent it from happening again and his wording is very clear he supports Morey to say what he wants, not that he supports Hong Kong. Nor do I think the NBA likes being told to fire owners, GM, etc based upon what they say on twitter by the players. I'm sure all the rest of the Owners are looking for excuses to remove his ass anyways. NBA comes out looking strong in the US, this flies over in China in a bit with no more incidents occurring and matters go back to normal. China probably doesn't want to lose the money either of what the NBA brings in. In the end, money still wins.

Basically the only real loser going forward is going to be LeBron's dumbass. Because it now discredits every past action as was he doing it for the money or because he believed in the cause. Dude should have stopped after the first comment and realized he was going in the wrong direction.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
The NBA is losing money either way. Support China it hurts your western buisness, Support Democracy it hurts Chinese buisness.

Silver did the math and chose USD over Yen. He was never putting himself at risk

China is a multibillion dollar market if you think he's not at risk you're insane or naive. If that statement doesn't go over well with the ownership then he and morey would be gone but lunch. He's easily risking his job by standing by morey.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
"I don't know where we go from here. The financial consequences have been and may continue to be fairly dramatic."

I'd like to talk about this for a bit.

What do you all think this will mean for the next CBA? Is it safe to assume that the size of contracts that have been tendered over the last off-season (the super-maxes) are going to actually come down when negotiations come back around? I would have to assume that negotiations are, in part, based on current and future growth trajectories and associated income to the league and I would think that China was envisioned to be a massive part of that growth. Well for now they aren't and those numbers go with them.

If China can not be counted on as a reliable new pillar for the NBA to be grown atop (and how can you count on growth that can be taken away with the slightest offense???), then all those financial forecasts are going to have to change. No? There's no way around that, I don't think.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how pissed off the owners and players are with Morey personally from a financial perspective. He's easily cost them hundreds of millions at the very least.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I think LeBron cemented his reaction based on emotion in the heat of the moment, and now he's trying to back it up intellectually, which is usually a bad idea.

I can see how you're on an overseas trip to the other side of the world, doing your job (as fun as their job is), traveling with your brothers, and the moment you land, you find out that some guy back home in the comfort of his office fired off a tweet that took him 2 seconds but that has flipped your whole trip upside down. Yes, it is about freedom and about democracy, but in that moment, the emotion is one of betrayal and separation -- someone else has decided that this trip is about to become much more tense and more difficult for you. I think everyone can understand this emotion.

Where LeBron went wrong is taking this emotion and then reverse-justifying a stance that Morey was wrong to speak out. He should realize that this is a big issue, bigger than any one man and team, and probably requires some emotional and physical distance to speak about.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but while I think he's wrong, I'm not about to claim that he values his personal finances more than other people's freedom. I think he's making a bad mistake that looks even worse considering the standard that he's set for himself as a human being.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Losing money doesn't make you right.
But it hurts me spiritually and emotionally

What do you all think this will mean for the next CBA?
tbh, for the next CBA, I wonder if they're just gonna get rid of the super max. It doesn't seem like players are willing to really stay for it outside of a handful and with the possibility of the cap decreasing with the shakiness of China, I guess it's possible that maxes and overall salaries go back down?

giannis still gonna get paid 50mil/year tho lmao

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
Facing a dictator

Silver: standing
Lebron: bowing
The rest: kneeling

What kind of crazy alternate universe we are living in?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
China is a multibillion dollar market if you think he's not at risk you're insane or naive. If that statement doesn't go over well with the ownership then he and morey would be gone but lunch. He's easily risking his job by standing by morey.

Wait, you think Silver decided this unilaterally without at least checking with the owners?

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's reports suggesting that players across the league are siding with Lebron behind closed doors and are upset with Morey

Edit: They aren't necessarily siding with Lebron but according to Ethan Strauss the atmosphere is very Anti-Morey
Not surprising. Imagine someone at your job saying something that pisses off a client and then your salary suddenly gets cut by 20-30%. I have no problem with what Morey said, but given the personal relationship that the Rockets of all teams has with China, he probably should've seen this coming. Either that or he thought he was logged in to an alt account and wasn't. Oops.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what will happen if you have a NBA commissioner who has no spine and caves in to China's pressure. Good on Silver for sticking up for what is right.

Jun 17, 2019
Christ, guys! Knock it off with the racial mocking! You can tell Lebron to fuck himself without using incinderary terms like this. Your sounding like the assholes who were using racial slurs against Kaepernick. seriously I thought Era was better than this bullshit.

marches

Dec 18, 2018
The only racial mocking I see are from LeBron stans. I suspect they're trolls. The "For Honk Kong and "Fuck Ching James", are particularly offensive.

Last edited: