• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The NBA's initial statement last week used the word "regrettable," which Silver emphasized was describing the reaction of Chinese government officials, business executives and NBA fans in China — not the content of Morey's tweet itself. "Maybe I was trying too hard to be a diplomat," Silver said. "I didn't see it as my role as the commissioner of the NBA to weigh in on the substance of the protest, but to say here's this platform" for free expression.
"We made clear that we were being asked to fire him, by the Chinese government, by the parties we dealt with, government and business," Silver said. "We said there's no chance that's happening. There's no chance we'll even discipline him."
While other companies have apologized to the Chinese government for various actions, Silver noted that the NBA did not give in to China's demands. "These American values — we are an American business — travel with us wherever we go," Silver said. "And one of those values is free expression. We wanted to make sure that everyone understood we were supporting free expression."

Fire me if old.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I find this to be REALLY admirable on Silver's part. Well done sir. Goodell would have caved so hard.

Slyfox

Oct 28, 2017
Also, he rejected Lebron's demand to fire Morey too. /s
Silver is good.

Edit: First comment was sarcasm. Apologies

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this was also a calculated decision. The blowback would have been much worse if they had fired Morey for it.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I appreciate that statement but have a hard time squaring it with some of the comments Steve Kerr, LeBron, and James Harden have made. Maybe they're toeing the line because it affects everyone's paycheck, but it sure looked like they were told to not say anything that could even obliquely be construed as China criticism.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm not going to applaud this. The very idea he deserves any sort of praise for not firing someone because a communist dictatorship half way around the world demanded it is completely absurd.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
My first read on their initial response was that they weren't going to punish Morey so I was confused as to the negative reaction, at least initially. Maybe that it wasn't strong enough but this certainly resolves that. I highly doubt they are going to lose money exactly. Like most of these businesses it's about making less more money.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Silver has really impressed me with how he handled this alongside Stotts, Kanter, and Brad Stevens. I thought Shannon Sharpe and Max Kellerman handled it well media wise as well.

An article by Dave McMenamin on ESPN.com he basically stated that a player would be punished and Silver pushed back on that thought.

Mind you James had the backing of the majority the league according to one one source (don't have it off hand).

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see an American company stand up to the CCP's demands. Hopefully I get to watch the CCP collapse in my lifetime.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I don't think Adam Silver could have fired Morey even if he wanted to

Why not? I'm sure they could find someone to replace him...

5b196a041ae66247008b4dd9-750-375.jpg