• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada

You can hear Adam angrily whisper "They're still showing it! They're still still showing it!" before it cuts here at 1:38:45

Okay, here we go.

So, we get access to broadcast the Xbox press conference live, first time since Nintendo's Gamecube announcement. This is exciting for many reasons but especially because of the Halo 3 trailer.

While I helped arrange the broadcast I never considered that we would air commercials DURING the press conference, just cut in during the Mass Effect and Modern Warfare trailers without resuming where we had left off.

That was already bad but....the FCC requires all stations (including cable, I don;t understand how) to do a station identification at 12:00 a.m every day or receive a fine...a $1k fine or something pretty small if you're a broadcaster.

So, as with all things live, the press conference is going long, we're going to hit midnight during the trailer.

Suddenly someone in my earpiece is telling me that I need to take the audience to commercial during the trailer

I am being asked to explain to the audience that we're going to break into the fucking thing we've been hyping for weeks, but we'll be back shortly

I know our audience well enough that if I said Cthulu had risen and was coming at us in Santa Monica, that would still be unacceptable.

I tried saying something into the handheld mic but couldn't. I put it down and walked away and talked into my lavolier mike that i wouldn't do it, I was not going to be the fall guy in front of the audience for the stupidest decision ever.

except I may have used a lot more profanity and invective. And I was loud. Despite putting the handheld mic down and being several yards from it, my voice was picked up faintly and someone on YouTube discovered it.

We just cut to commercial without my explanation and the internet freaked out, deservedly. When the press conference was over I timidly talked to some of the (awesome) Xbox reps we had been working with and timidly hinted that things may not have gone as desired.

THE NEXT MORNING. There were not enough fans to handle the shit flying. G4's CEO, who had personally been excited about the trailer was in a rage over the decision, Xbox wanted everyone's head and felt betrayed that we were not forthright about how we would broadcast the presser

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes.

Is there a youtube link of the broadcast when this happened for reference ?

edit: I see it in the new OP.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alternate format for readability:

Okay, here we go.

So, we get access to broadcast the Xbox press conference live, first time since Nintendo's Gamecube announcement. This is exciting for many reasons but especially because of the Halo 3 trailer.

While I helped arrange the broadcast I never considered that we would air commercials DURING the press conference, just cut in during the Mass Effect and Modern Warfare trailers without resuming where we had left off.

That was already bad but....the FCC requires all stations (including cable, I don;t understand how) to do a station identification at 12:00 a.m every day or receive a fine...a $1k fine or something pretty small if you're a broadcaster.

So, as with all things live, the press conference is going long, we're going to hit midnight during the trailer.

Suddenly someone in my earpiece is telling me that I need to take the audience to commercial during the trailer

I am being asked to explain to the audience that we're going to break into the fucking thing we've been hyping for weeks, but we'll be back shortly

I know our audience well enough that if I said Cthulu had risen and was coming at us in Santa Monica, that would still be unacceptable.

We just cut to commercial without my explanation and the internet freaked out, deservedly. When the press conference was over I timidly talked to some of the (awesome) Xbox reps we had been working with and timidly hinted that things may not have gone as desired.

THE NEXT MORNING. There were not enough fans to handle the shit flying. G4's CEO, who had personally been excited about the trailer was in a rage over the decision, Xbox wanted everyone's head and felt betrayed that we were not forthright about how we would broadcast the presser

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how platforms like GameSpot, G4 and GameTrailers paid to get the press conference feed.
Today the publishers see it as marketing and make it free and even allow it to restream it. How times changed

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching it live and hearing Adam's hot mic going "You can't do that, this is unprofessional!" But it's been so fucking long it could just be my memory fucking with me.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Questions: What is a station identification? How much of a process is it? Why couldn't they do one and resume broadcasting the conference?

OP
OP
BY2K

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada

But, because I threw a tantrum and the mic picked it up and the internet found it I was a little in the clear. I was told that the inimitable @PeterMooreLFC said, "Well at least we know Sessler wasn't part of that shitshow"

it was bad, but it kinda gets worse. The Friday of that E3 week we were back in the studio, there was tons of contrition about myriad disasters that week, it was a new beginning, best foot forward. We were going to acknowledge our mistake and run the trailer in its entireity.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaaaaaan I remember that. Everyone involved with that production had to be furious they had their hand forced on that especially the hosts who really had the bag left in their hand on that one.

OP
OP
BY2K

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Oh my God it got worse

honestly it's was a nominal gesture since every internet outlet had the trailer in its entirety from the last 4 days but having a Mea Culpa sounded right and a good way to make peace with our audience.

Except, on that Friday, after all the apologies and protestations and acknowledgement that we let everyone down...

we ran the Halo 3 trailer from 2006. Some poor, harried, exhausted PA grabbed the wrong tape.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect it's not that surprising they turned to commercial. It was the Neal Tiles era afterall. But I don't know what Sessler means by the FCC mandating station identification at midnight: that doesn't apply to cable, I don't remember a station identification being what interrupted the trailer, and it wasn't midnight. Was that just something they made up and told Sessler at the time to try and get him to go to commercial? Lol

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Oh my God, that story just got worse and worse. I can't for the life of me remember this happening.

Nov 1, 2017
I kind of wish someone would write up a book about G4, the shit that happened and why.

There has to be a ton of batshit crazy stories.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Adam regrets not ignoring the demand and just paying that $1k fine or whatever. Would've saved him and G4 from all of this chaos evidently.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
Haha I remember this moment very well. The president of G4 had to write a long apology letter to Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
The moment Sessler says "You guys enjoying this?" and then the prompt cut to commercial felt like an absolute slap in the face. I can remember hearing the frantic whispering as well and knowing Sessler was probably pissed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yea I find this completely insane to happen over $1,000. Has to be more to it. No one would take that kind of rep hit for such a paltry (relatively) amount.

How familiar are you with corporate America?

I can easily envision it just being that. The production team had a policy from corporate they were following and weren't familiar enough with video games to know that it was definitely a time to break the policy. Corporations do dumb shit all the time when people "just follow orders."

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Something seems off about this story. I dont understand why they would have to go to commercial break nor do I ever remember watching cable at midnight and whatever live event or show I was watching just cut out .

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Adam regrets not ignoring the demand and just paying that $1k fine or whatever. Would've saved him and G4 from all of this chaos evidently.
Hosts don't have control of the feed cutting to commercial or not so it's not like he could have stopped it. That was someone else's call (producer or director probably?).

Something seems off about this story. I dont understand why they would have to go to commercial break nor do I ever remember watching cable at midnight and whatever live event or show I was watching just cut out .
Thinking about it, they usually hide these in commercial breaks. Most channels are cutting to one on the hour so it's easy to do that.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Them accidentally running the 2006 trailer during their "apology", is pretty much the perfect conclusion to this story, lol.

I didn't see this live, but I definitely heard about it all over the internet in the days afterward. The most G4 thing ever.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Hosts don't have control of the feed cutting to commercial or not so it's not like he could have stopped it. That was someone else's call (producer or director probably?).

Thinking about it, they usually hide these in commercial breaks. Most channels are cutting to one on the hour so it's easy to do that.

Yeah I guess but I dont think I have ever noticed this before , especially not premium channels. More importantly did they not know this was a thing until last minute?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Well I've just spent twenty minutes of my life reading about fcc station identification requirements. I can't find anywhere that cable is exempt from them, and I can't find anywhere that they're required to have them.

I'm sure it was just channel policy regardless.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I miss both Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb. They both had, or still have, a real passion for the industry. I wish Xbox or even Geoff's showcase here would let them have a few minutes for old time sake.

Well I've just spent twenty minutes of my life reading about fcc station identification requirements. I can't find anywhere that cable is exempt from them, and I can't find anywhere that they're required to have them.

I'm sure it was just channel policy regardless.

I didn't know about this either until the movie Private Parts. Then I had it explained to me by a local rock DJ, named Theresa for those who live in the Houston area, that they must at the top of every hour identify their station. She said currently that TV could get away with it because a lot of them just simply put a watermark on screen. It may have been different back then.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I hate G4 and all that it stood for. I miss Tech TV, or ZDTV as it was known back then.

Screw G4! I wish Comcast had never merged the two channels.

I think they were both strongest right after they merged (And it was "G4 TechTV). The only thing I really liked on TechTV was The Screen Savers, and that carried over with the merger (at least for a bit).

It had a fantastic lineup for awhile with The Screensavers/Attack of the Show, Cheat, Xplay, Judgement Day, Arena, Cinamatech, Icons, Code Monkeys, Game Makers, and The Electric Playground.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching this live and being so frustrated they cut off at the press conference highlight

getting e3 coverage back then was amazing because it wasn't just a live blog or a magazine article a month later. But frustrating because you'd get stuff like this or very poor video quality internet streaming

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I probably watched this live with them. Afterwards, I decided to just stream everything from Gamespot.

Old media can't adapt.