• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Unless the interview was being done live (which I'd guess it wasn't since it doesn't seem like this was heard by the public?) I don't see why these clips can't be added into the audio after the fact, and have to be done during the discussion.
No idea

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame him at all. I trained myself to get used to seeing and hearing my stupid self perform for QI purposes, but it really does blow and I don't blame him for leaving—especially since it was known before hand.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They didn't ignore him. That's why they gave him advanced notice when clips would be played so he wouldn't hear them.

I have severe anxiety and depression so I am not discounting his feelings in the slightest. They took extra precautions but apparently it wasn't enough. I don't think this is a "huge thing," just something worth discussing.
Yep. It's like they didn't read the story. They warned him ahead of time and played the clip while there was a break.

They didn't do this out of the blue.

Nov 13, 2017
I blame the radio station. There is a zero percent chance that Adam's team didn't tee up the radio station with a warning about what not to ask or do during the interview.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Fresh Air knew that he disliked listening to himself, and then attempted to have a clip play with him present anyway? The show is not live, just add it in post, I don't blame Driver at all when it was a whole thing during his last interview with Terry.

I listen to Fresh Air all the time, really strange that they wouldn't accommodate his preferences considering how easy it is to drop relevant clips in without actually playing them. Driver literally gets nauseous when listening/seeing himself perform. I absolutely don't blame him for walking out if they're not going to respect his health and well being.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
What's even the point of pressuring an actor over something like that?

Years ago, he already made it clear to her how much he hated it. But then she did it in this new interview anyways.

The interview was not even broadcast live, it would've been super easy to just put the clip in during post and not have him listen to something that makes him very uncomfortable.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm with Driver on this one. They knew it made him uncomfortable and did it anyway. Then they drop the story the day before his movie releases. Fuck them.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna hate on him for leaving, because I get how anxiety is.

Terry Gross is a legendary interviewer, and she's notoriously probing in her questions sometimes. It might've just been too much for Driver that day.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Just gonna point a few things out

Adam Driver has been on Fresh Air before and understands how the show is presented.
Adam Driver made it clear he has essentially a phobia of hearing / watching himself.
Fresh Air encouraged Adam Driver to remove his headphones during pocket moments in the interview where audio of him acting would be played.

The whole point of playing those clips is to provide context and segue to the next segment. Adam Driver knows this.

Why are people faulting Fresh Air for presenting their show normally because Adam Driver unfortunately could not bear to hear himself, even with headphones off, during an interview that he agreed to on a show that he's been on before?

It's just a shitty situation. No one is unprofessional here.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it.

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
It's weird to read this. Fresh Air should have at least tried to accommodate him, but at the same time its weird to just walk out all together.

Last edited:

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019

Adam Driver has been on Fresh Air before and understands how the show is presented.
Adam Driver made it clear he has essentially a phobia of hearing / watching himself.
Fresh Air encouraged Adam Driver to remove his headphones during pocket moments in the interview where audio of him acting would be played.

The whole point of playing those clips is to provide context and segue to the next segment. Adam Driver knows this.

Why are people faulting Fresh Air for presenting their show normally because Adam Driver unfortunately could not bear to hear himself, even with headphones off, during an interview that he agreed to on a show that he's been on before?

He fucking told them not to play the clip as a condition of his interview. This isn't rocket science.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they knew it made him uncomfortable, but they still did it anyway. Yeah I'm with Driver, what a shitty thing for them to do.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Acting is super weird. Plenty of actors go on about this and have this insecurity, never will watch themselves perform because they have low self-esteem or have imposter syndrome. A lot of people can't stand watching themselves or listen to themselves. The fact that the team knew about this beforehand is dickish.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fresh Air knew that he disliked listening to himself, and then attempted to have a clip play with him present anyway? The show is not live, just add it in post, I don't blame Driver at all when it was a whole thing during his last interview with Terry.
What's even the point of pressuring an actor over something like that?
Yeah, I'm with Driver on this one. They knew it made him uncomfortable and did it anyway. Then they drop the story the day before his movie releases. Fuck them.

Did y'all even read the article in the OP?
According to one source, Gross' team was aware that Driver prefers not to listen to recordings of himself and encouraged him to remove his headphones while any clips played back

It's not like they disregarded his wishes.

He fucking told them not to play the clip as a condition of his interview. This isn't rocket science.

Did I miss this in the article OP posted? I don't see that written anywhere, just that he

expressed displeasure at the idea of listening to a clip of himself singing

That's not "don't play the clip or I don't do the interview."

Oct 25, 2017
Above what? Did you miss the part where they were on break and gave Driver advance notice so he could take off his headphones?

If watching/ listening to himself perform gives him a high level of anxiety, I'm not sure 'sit there with your headphones off while everybody else in the room listens to your performance' is much of an anxiety busting strategy.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess he just needed some fresh air

It is strange that they would play the clip while they were recording even though it wasn't live, it seems like a weird format under normal circumstances, let alone one where they were well aware of his request. I don't understand why they wouldn't just add it in later

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who is this post even talking about?
The fucking article explicitly stated that they gave him advanced notice, they they asked him to take of his earphones so he doesn't have to listen to himself, and that they did it on break.

A bunch of people here harping on NPR as if they fucking acted unprofessional when Driver fucking knew the deal, was told in advance what would happen, and was not forced to listen to himself. He acted like a child

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Above what? Did you miss the part where they were on break and gave Driver advance notice so he could take off his headphones?
I see someone saying they don't like X, and being told "OK you can ignore it"

what if he took he the headphones off and it's still loud enough for him to hear the clip? There's a lot here that's missing from the article and I'm inclined to believe the guy who says they have a phobia of the situation

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame him. I remember when I used to act in plays and whatnot and I really hated watching footage of it afterwards. There was a discomfort to it that I have rarely felt outside of those instances. Actors are often their own harshest critics and there can be something uncanny to returning back to something that is so "of the moment". I can only imagine how much more amplified that is when you are one of the best actors of your generation.

I used to feel something very similar to this about music I recorded. I could never listen to it because it made me feel this weird sense of anxiety / awkwardness. "Why are you listening to your own shit?" - I guess. I got over it by just continuing to listen over and over. IDK. Yeah, it's weird.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017

I kind of think Driver was unprofessional to walk out.

Terry Gross was in this situation before when she interviewed Denzel Washington. She explained to the audience that Denzel does not like to hear or watch his performances, she alerted him she was about to play a clip, and Denzel said (paraphrased) "Okay, I won't listen for thirty seconds" or whatever. She played the clip, he came back on the phone, and they continued their discussion. It wasn't a big deal at all.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did y'all even read the article in the OP?

It's not like they disregarded his wishes.

Did I miss this in the article OP posted? I don't see that written anywhere, just that he

That's not "don't play the clip or I don't do the interview."
Haha I know right? ResetEra jumping the gun again.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Famous people aren't allowed to be normal and have normal issues.

That is not how I feel in the slightest. As someone with severe anxiety and depression, I recognize and appreciate when people make special accommodations for me like NPR did here with Driver. He was there to promote a movie. They gave him advance notice when a clip would be played so he wouldn't hear it, but it wasn't enough, so he left. I disagree with how he handled it. If you think NPR was in the wrong that's fine too. I don't think it's some huge deal. I don't think Driver is some terrible person, "abnormal," nor do I think this one incident defines him. I just thought it was worth discussing.

If it makes anyone feel better, I'm getting a panic attack reading some of these responses.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I see someone saying they don't like X, and being told "OK you can ignore it"

what if he took he the headphones off and it's still loud enough for him to hear the clip? There's a lot here that's missing from the article and I'm inclined to believe the guy who says they have a phobia of the situation

There's no chance that the fact that clips would be played wasn't discussed beforehand with his team, since they had prior knowledge of his concerns. People are acting like they sprung this on him, which is absurd.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
The fucking article explicitly stated that they gave him advanced notice, they they asked him to take of his earphones so he doesn't have to listen to himself, and that they did it on break.

A bunch of people here harping on NPR as if they fucking acted unprofessional when Driver fucking knew the deal, was told in advance what would happen, and was not forced to listen to himself. He acted like a child

You have no fucking idea what phobias are apparently. Sit down and learn something.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

It wasn't a live interview, it was being taped for edit and I really don't think they needed to still play the audio to him. Edit that stuff in later if it's distressing someone you agreed to host an interview with.

Status
Not open for further replies.