• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Adam Conover, host of the show Adam Ruins Everything which is a comedy show that discusses different subjects that many people take for granted in our daily lives, did a talk at a festival called "XOXO" which is a festival aimed at people who work on the internet to talk about their experiences. And I found it quite eye opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1gMAivD0U

The last bit of his talk touching upon the phrase "preaching to the choir" is what hit me the most. I really recommend that people give this a listen.

I love the show Adam Ruins Everything, it may not always be correct, sometimes they get a few things wrong and he does acknowledge that, but I think the show is excellent to be transparent about that and also, most of all, encourage people to think critically. It's thanks to the show I learned about the diamond industry's scam, the interesting history of jaywalking in America and more. And while the show is mostly focused on America, there is a lot of good stuff to take away for the rest of us as well and I do like to look up subjects he brings up and see how they are handled here in Sweden and Europe in general. The latest episode focuses on the tech industry and I am curious to know what the laws are for them here in the EU.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Check out his recent appearance on the Hollywood Handbook podcast. I busted up laughing in the subway.

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I dig his show. I don't go out of my way to look for it, but when it pops up on TV I usually stop to watch.
It's sadly a lot more difficult to see him on TV outside of the US. (no idea what TruTV really is, is it a TV channel? a web streaming platform?) but luckily they do post often long clips on CollegeHumor which is what I usually find and watch him through. I do wish that his show would be available on some streaming platform here like Netflix or whatever.
Check out his recent appearance on the Hollywood Handbook podcast. I busted up laughing in the subway.
I will gladly!

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
the show is good, his podcast where there's more that can't fit in a tv episode is also good. the episode on gun violence really danced around, tho.
you can't say "well the NRA has a base of motivated voters that you can't do much about" but later say we need to study gun violence as a public health issue. guess who is going to oppose that at every turn. so, charlie brown never kicks the football because it keeps moving and lucy is tangentially related to it at best.

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
the show is good, his podcast where there's more that can't fit in a tv episode is also good. the episode on gun violence really danced around, tho.
you can't say "well the NRA has a base of motivated voters that you can't do much about" but later say we need to study gun violence as a public health issue. guess who is going to oppose that at every turn. so, charlie brown never kicks the football because it keeps moving and lucy is tangentially related to it at best.
Really need to take a moment to sit down with those podcasts.

Haven't seen the gun violence episode but I thought the clip about blacks in relation to gun rights was good.

Especially combined with that within 24 hours, Trevor Noah also had a bit of a talk about his view on how blacks with guns are treated in the US.

Pretty happy that they brought in Raphael's Black Panther bit from CollegeHumor to the Adam show.

Maybe it's time for that movement to be reborn? If America has made it clear more than anything, is that it is WAY more afraid of black people with guns than gun control laws.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the video, so on point about the choir thing.

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Just finished the video, so on point about the choir thing.
Right? It feels like a weight off the shoulders that we don't have to convince every hardcore advocate who just dig deeper and deeper into their beliefs when confronted with facts to the opposite. It's better in the end to talk with those who are open minded, and even those who already know some of the things but are eager to learn more.

And as he says, "the choir is really fucking big".

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
It's sadly a lot more difficult to see him on TV outside of the US. (no idea what TruTV really is, is it a TV channel? a web streaming platform?) but luckily they do post often long clips on CollegeHumor which is what I usually find and watch him through. I do wish that his show would be available on some streaming platform here like Netflix or whatever.

I will gladly!
It is on Netflix in the US, is it only US?

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
What's the choir thing? I can't listen at the moment.
That saying "preaching to the choir", like telling someone a message they already agree with, usually means it is pointless because it's not really changing anyone's minds. However what it does is that it might deepen the understanding of the message/issue/whatever for that person and also strengthen the resolve and unity of the so called "choir". And for those who aren't entirely convinced but more open minded, bringing more facts to the table then helps them see better as well

He's touched upon it before in the show that when people are confronted with facts that oppose something they believe in, they usually just dig their holes deeper to defend themselves cause, well, we're all human in the end and being wrong feels awful so we defend ourselves against that. A backfire effect. So he talks about it for example how people reacted when he brought up the myth of "Alphas" in society or how people reacted to the history of suburban development or "Redlining" more specifically, while he won't probably change the mind of those who are hardcore believers in the psuedoscience of "alphas" and "betas" and other shit, he at least helps those more open minded to understand the topic better.

Damn, do you have a VPN

I don't, but I guess I'll have to look into it more now then!

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
this season has been good so far. The gun control episode was pretty good, the best parts were about how racist the laws are. I think they went too far trying to be both sides on the rest of the issue though.

the tech industry one i watched last night. My wife and I have been leaning towards cancelling our prime membership this might push us over the edge.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That was great, I love Adam Ruins Everything (except last season, cartoon Adam ruining history?) I don't get TruTV, so this is one of the very few TV shows I actually pay for (on Amazon Instant Video)

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
When I first saw a Video of his and he introduced himself,i always thought his Name was "Adam Combover" and it was a joke about his hair

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always avoided watching Adam Ruins Everything because the name makes it sound obnoxious as hell, but I happened across an episode on why gun control laws are often very anti-black, and it was pretty good. I hated the format and the humor in general, but I definitely saw the value in explaining the issue in a way that might be more accessible for white folks who haven't thought about this stuff already.