• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Right now there are so many families who just lost their healthcare and trying to find a safe place to live, but bills are currently being debated to make it illegal to even cross into another state for the purpose of, say, getting lifesaving HRT meds for your kid.

With this law, as long as the family can make it safely to Connecticut, they'll tell the state they left to pound dirt, they'll refuse to comply with any attempt to charge them or force them to return.

They weren't the first state to propose this, hopefully we see more soon.

Anyway enjoy this bit of sanity, it's absolutely incredible that this was needed in the first place -- another plan to deal with American refugees from another state! -- but a really good reminder that not EVERYONE has lost their goddamn minds.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
i suspect certain states like Conn., Mass., NY, Cali will also be safe haven abortion states even if GOP passes abortion ban federally.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see. But it's a terrible state of affairs that the country has to resort to the creation of safe-havens in the first place:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the fugitive slave laws.

Really cool country we got here.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
will it reach the point that you'll be able to drop everything and show up in another state for protection and human rights?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
On the plus side, it's good to see Blue states standing up and putting these rules in the books.
The law is thorough and verbose, so it does look like a LOT of time and thought went into the details.
On the negative side, it's hard to not see this as a sort of runaway slave analog, being a portend to further polarization between the states.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Awesome!

Not sure if it will hold up in court under the Full Faith and Credit Clause but fuck it. We need more of this.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen saying there's going to be a war (or sorts) between red and blue states in the coming years. it's not going to be pretty.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling the courts will throw it out, but I'm glad they did it anyway. At least they're trying to do something.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I look forward to how the states' rights loving FedSoc courts react.

But this is good. Someone gives a shit. Watching the groundwork for trans genocide being laid while people call it "divisive" or whatever makes my trans ass feel pretty fucking despondent!

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I will never understand how we always get republican governors. Fuck Charlie Baker
People straddling the fence probably think they need a Rep governor to keep the Dems in check. BeCauSe BaLaNCe.

Tourism won't suffer. People still go to places like North Korea, Russia, Iraq, Iran, etc, all the time.
Isn't that also partly those countries paying/luring useful idiots to spread propaganda about how happy their citizens are and that foreign countries are lying about their human rights violations?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

But this is good. Someone gives a shit. Watching the groundwork for trans genocide being laid while people call it "divisive" or whatever makes my trans ass feel pretty fucking despondent!

They are going to react negatively because the Constitution says states can't really do this. But fuck 'em. Blue states should ignore any ruling against this.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Blue states are going to protect me. Red states are trying to erase me. It's great when your existence is a political battleground.

This is good news however.

kreepmode

Oct 25, 2017
This is good news. Meanwhile in Virginia the new AG is doing is disgusting shit like this:

Good thing they backed off after considerable backlash.

Don't abuse the legal process to harm trans kids.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017

As someone who studies a humanities field, I recognize these actions against the trans community as genocide and I take it very seriously. Unfortunately, I'm just one person and I don't have a ton of influence on my own.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Would love to see the pride flag with "Don't Tread on Me" flying under the CT flag around here.
transgender-if-this-flag-offends-you-ar-15-gun-rights-trans-yvonne-remick.jpg

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
My partner and I are both trans. We live in Maine, which is okay right now for trans people (at least where I live), but I don't trust it to stay that way. We are seriously considering moving to Mass or another "safer" blue state. When we came out, things seemed to be getting better for trans people, so we felt somewhat safe. It sucks that we don't feel safe anymore.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
As someone who studies a humanities field, I recognize these actions against the trans community as genocide and I take it very seriously. Unfortunately, I'm just one person and I don't have a ton of influence on my own.

Support your local trans charities and mutual aid funds. Donate and volunteer for them.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of line in the sand all blue states should be drawing. Good to see despite the nightmare conditions that lead to it.

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
Hard to believe the backslide of rights in this country. But having Free states vs. forced birth states is pretty crazy. (or perfectly on brand I guess?)

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
What a tragic American dystopia that people are going to need to flee to another state for protections about their body or identity. It's horrible to realize that yes, we are at this point.

What happens when the refugee returns to their state after a procedure? They're effed?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
What a tragic American dystopia that people are going to need to flee to another state for protections about their body or identity. It's horrible to realize that yes, we are at this point.

What happens when the refugee returns to their state after a procedure? They're effed?

It's been this way for a while in the South.

Yes, they would likely be charged.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel for those who are in red states without the autonomy or means to leave yet for whatever reason, and worse so that they even have to do so for basic rights.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Tourism won't suffer. People still go to places like North Korea, Russia, Iraq, Iran, etc, all the time.
I guess the question is, will people risk traveling to e.g. from Connecticut to Texas if they risk arrest there because there is an open warrant for them due to an abortion they had/supported 5 years ago?