• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Funny note, I have just recently released a video about one such game - the Chambers of Secrets one for PC (PS2 version is absolutely different but gotta make a video about that one too).

In general, with the exception of maybe something like Spider-Man 2, licensed movie tie-in games are criminally underrepresented on YouTube, at most you will find somebody going through a bit of let's play nostalgia or something like that, most of the time.

I always found these games to be fascinating, especially because in terms of development they're probably some of the most difficult ones to make.

As oftentimes you have so many blockers coming from license holders. Good Disney games are especially surprising, because Disney are NOTORIOUS for their difficulty to work with (at the least pre-2015ish, not sure if things have changed now with them to the better).

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starbreeze really put out some legendary stuff:

ChroniclesOfRiddick_XboxBox.gif
Darkness_cover.jpg
These two are at the top for me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the Capcom Disney and Marvel stuff, I really love the recent RGGS/Sega Hokuto no Ken game - Hokuto Ga Gotoku. I love the gameplay, love the combat. Its slick and exactly how I want a HnK game to play. Its far from perfect, but I loved it, and really want to replay it (if only another RGGS game wasnt stealing all my time!)
The ASW HnK fighter from a couple of gens back is pretty awesome as well. Completely broken, but awesome.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
while I'd struggle to recommend these to anyone I remember really enjoying both Mission Impossible on the N64 and Die Hard Vendetta on gamecube

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Transformers Devastation was such a stupidly fun game with a kickass soundtrack

Sucks that it got taken off of stores along with the Cybertron games because Activision didn't renew the license

I own this digitally on PS, was playing through it again. Really love this game for the fantastic G1 art and sound. I also bought physical copies of this and the Platinum TMNT gameā€¦even though it's not good only because it got pulled as well. Both are still sealed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I own this digitally on PS, was playing through it again. Really love this game for the fantastic G1 art and sound. I also bought physical copies of this and the Platinum TMNT gameā€¦even though it's not good only because it got pulled as well. Both are still sealed.
Yeah, Devastation is an awesome game. A nice love letter to the G1 series and it plays incredibly well to boot. Pity we never got a sequel but at least what we got is amazing...
I actually didnt hate Turtles. I mean... its not great either but it had slithers of a good idea in there - the less linear, more open levels definitely showed how a good TMNT game could be done, but yeah execution was not good. I loved the idea that other bosses could interrupt the main boss fight, but hate how random it is... should have made it easier to trigger for skilled players, Id have gotten way more out of it if they did.

Anyway... I quite like the One Piece Pirate Warriors games. Not the best way of experiencing One Piece, neither the most involved games to play, but it does actually do a good job of highlighting how Luffy and co. just shred through pirates and the marines no problem until boss fights crop up (boss fights could do with being harder but that's really my main complaint...)
In terms of licensed anime games they are definitely a step above most.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Vampire_Hunter_D_Coverart.png

I won't claim that Vampire Hunter D is a perfect game, but it does a very good job of being a faithful adaptation of the source material. I alsothink it's a pretty good game in its own right. It's got limitations pretty typical of that era of games, but it's an interesting mix of Resident Evil style navigation and exploration, with emphasis on melee combat.

The music and art direction are also awesome.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
I was reminded of South Park: The Stick of Truth today and remembered it is pretty great and I've probably only seen like two episodes of South Park in my whole life. The combat and gameplay loop is just so fun. It has a sequel but I've heard they totally changed the combat which bunmed me out so I haven't tried it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was reminded of South Park: The Stick of Truth today and remembered it is pretty great and I've probably only seen like two episodes of South Park in my whole life. The combat and gameplay loop is just so fun. It has a sequel but I've heard they totally changed the combat which bunmed me out so I haven't tried it.
The other game in question is "A Fractured But Whole" and its still really good. Most people (at least at the time) seemed to suggest combat was better but honestly I preferred Stick of Truth's combat. But that's all secondary because really Im just a huge South Park fan and loved the games for being very accurate to the series.