• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Dedrek Finley, 55, claims the "Rent" star's mother and stepfather deliberately and repeatedly misgendered him in disparaging comments — and that Rosario ignored his complaints and took part in an assault that ended with the theft of his cell phone.

Finley says he officially "came out" as transgender to Rosario, her mom Isabel Dawson, her stepfather Gregory Dawson and her uncle Gustavo Vazquez in December 2017 after knowing the family for two decades.

"Immediately after Mr. Finley coming out as transgender, the family misgendered him multiple times each day, with deliberate indifference," the lawsuit claims.

The paperwork claim's Rosario's teen daughter pleaded with one family member to use the proper pronouns but was ignored.

Finley claims he recorded cell phone video of one verbal assault allegedly waged by Rosario's mom.
He claims Isabel ripped off a window screen and dragged him by his arm out of the window and attacked him.

"Once Mr. Finley was lying helpless on the ground outside, Isabel, who is substantially larger than Mr. Finley, got on top of Mr. Finley's body and began punching him," the lawsuit claims.

"You're not so much of a man now," the mom allegedly said, according to the lawsuit.

"Mom, stop being petty," Rosario allegedly responded.

"Initially, because of Rosario's exclamation, Mr. Finley believed that Rosario was going to pull Isabel off of him. However, Rosario, aiding and abetting Isabel's wrongful behavior, sat down on top of Mr. Finley, actively restraining him while he was on the ground to ensure that her mother could continue battering him," the paperwork claims.

Finley claims Isabel threatened to kill his cat if he didn't move out and that the women took his phone when they left.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
He claims Isabel ripped off a window screen and dragged him by his arm out of the window and attacked him.

"Once Mr. Finley was lying helpless on the ground outside, Isabel, who is substantially larger than Mr. Finley, got on top of Mr. Finley's body and began punching him," the lawsuit claims.

"You're not so much of a man now," the mom allegedly said, according to the lawsuit.

Jesus, what the hell is wrong with them!?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
This seems all forms of fucked up. At first I thought after 20 years maybe they just had trouble switching to the new pronoun but this just seems malicious overall.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
Not knowing Rosario, I thought she'd be a teen from reading those excerpts, not a 40 year old

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Rosario held him down while her mom punched the shit out of him. That's not harassment, that's assault.

Fucking trash ass headlines.

Edit: also she's Cory Booker's girlfriend?? I thought she was still dating Eric Andre

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Rosario held him down while her mom punched the shit out of him. That's not harassment, that's assault.

Not saying the guy is lying by any means, but are they supposed to definitively say Rosario and Co. beat his ass based on the guys claims? No news org is doing that.

Edit: misunderstood. They should have noted it was a claim of assault in the headline.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: also she's Cory Booker's girlfriend?? I thought she was still dating Eric Andre
Yeah that changed like a year or so ago I think. And yep, definitely sounds like assault

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I have no problem believing older Latinos are being assholes and abusing trans people, but Rosario holding him down and assaulting him is wild

Edit: fixed my mistake

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
is there any proof at all of this?

it just says a cell phone video of a completely unrelated incident and then this:
Shortly after the alleged attack, Finley sought and received an emergency restraining order. It was later dropped for lack of prosecution, according to court records.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This sounds indee insane. Holy shit...

I thought she was a fairly progressive person...

Wait and see situation?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
"Initially, because of Rosario's exclamation, Mr. Finley believed that Rosario was going to pull Isabel off of him. However, Rosario, aiding and abetting Isabel's wrongful behavior, sat down on top of Mr. Finley, actively restraining him while he was on the ground to ensure that her mother could continue battering him," the paperwork claims.

Holy shit!

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
These allegations sound so crazy that it's almost hard to believe them. if they are true then the whole family should be in jail, forget just having to pay the money.

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Holy shit!
Wow one of ERA's celebrity crushes goes on a transphobic rampage with fam..jeezus...sounds terrible all round

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Every source on this story I've read has to sneak in his deadname somewhere in the article. At least they're not misgendering, something I'd have expected not too long ago.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These allegations sound so crazy that it's almost hard to believe them. if they are true then the whole family should be in jail, forget just having to pay the money.

Does sound really bizarre, that's true. I mean, holding someone down and beating them up because... reasons? Who breaks their own window to get to the person outside recording them? Threatening to kill someone's cat is also weird.

I don't know how much of the allegations are true but, if any of them are, then it just goes to show you can't even trust people you've known for decades.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the restraining order was dropped due to lack of prosecution he's not gonna have better luck with a civil suit, it'll just turn into he said/she said and they can literally come up with any reason they want via their defense attorney as the reason they wanted him off the property.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have to wait until this comes out as undiniably true, but i guess if it is, thats one more celebrity who I'm never supporting in anything ever again

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Who breaks their own window to get to the person outside recording them?

It looks like Dedrek was living in the residence, but that the Dawson's paid his rent.

The lawsuit alleges that in February 2018, Isabel sent him a text message ordering him to move out of his residence, which was paid for by the family.

Finley claims the text was improper and that he continued to live at the residence and work for Rosario until the actress and her mom allegedly confronted him on April 28, 2018, to demand he vacate the premises.

Also, it looks like they mention other charges in the story itself, just not the headline. Since some people asked.

Finley is suing for assault, battery and violation of his civil rights. He's asking for real and punitive damages to be decided by a civil trial.

This story is crazy. Why did they turn on him so abruptly after asking him specifically to move from NYC to LA? Why demand he leave before his contract was up? Why were the assault and theft of his phone not followed up on and his restraining order denied?

Oct 25, 2017
The use of gendered terms in the title are really bothering me. Then again, maybe they could theoretically be preferred here? I really don't know but I feel compelled to point it out.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not that people can't say one thing and do another, 'cause Rosario has done philanthropy work for LGBTQ+ organizations in the past. I don't think I'm in a position to make a call on this one, but I hope it isn't true.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not that people can't say one thing and do another, 'cause Rosario has done philanthropy work for LGBTQ+ organizations in the past. I don't think I'm in a position to make a call on this one, but I hope it isn't true.

The sad fact is that many people don't consider the T to be a valid part of LGBTQIA+. Some rich people also use philanthropy as a smokescreen. "I can't hate this marginalized group! I've given them so much money!"

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Calling assault "harassment"... wtf...

Fuck Dawson and her family too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
surprised this isnt getting more attention, the story is even a day old and wasnt on here that i saw

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Is this getting attention anywhere yet? I see it was just reported today in the NY Daily News, was it reported anywhere else yet such that people would've even heard about it yet? This'll probably blow up nationally if it gets to like...TMZ or something, and more salacious details keep coming out.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
So the cops weren't called after the assault or after property was stolen? I didn't see that mentioned in the reporting. If a police report was filed that could help prove the case. If not it's going to be hard to prove anything of this actually happened.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I really all this isn't true, but that's beyond fucked up if it is, especially if they did that to someone they knew for decades.

May 26, 2018
Aww man, not Rosario. I thought she was cool.

All I can do is hope this isn't true, or there is some extreme circumstance we don't know about, but what would justify holding down another human being to have the daylights beat out of them?

damn, man

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Is this getting attention anywhere yet? I see it was just reported today in the NY Daily News, was it reported anywhere else yet such that people would've even heard about it yet? This'll probably blow up nationally if it gets to like...TMZ or something, and more salacious details keep coming out.

TMZ reported it 4 days ago.

Rosario might not be "popular enough" for this to get a lot of coverage. Most of her headlines these days are about dating Cory Booker.