• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Laura Bailey is easily one of my favorite VA's in video games these days. So sad to see her have to deal with this, and it's just sad to see people get attacked like this on social media in general.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Infurtiatiing and disgusting. Imagine being such a chud that you've become emasculated by a female game character just because she has an atypical body type.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much never use my twitter account, but I did write encouraging post earlier. She deserves it ♥

Same, I felt like I was basically pressing F to pay respects because compliments feel cheesy but I legitimately do adore her work. She doesn't deserve the hate she's getting.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't there legal consequences for incitement of violence? Like report this on social media and then somewhere down the line they get fined?
Can people be prosecuted for making violent threats online? This should not be tolerated. They should be identified and charges brought on them.
I wish, too. I think incitement of violence should count for something. Beyond getting permabanned on the platform.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Stuff like this is the reason why I'll never call myself a gamer. It's embarrassing to be associated with all the crap that's happening right now in the industry.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I think they should REALLY consider taking legal action against those people. Like, Naughty Dog hiring a squad or lawyers to go after each and everyone of the people sending this this type of things, this is disgusting and unacceptable.

Edit: keep sending support her way, to at least balance it all out.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy to see the waves of positive tweets being sent her way. For this one moment, it appears that Twitter is acting as a conduit for good. Honestly, I hope the love keeps flooding in. Laura deserves so much better.

Don't forget that there are emotional Era posters that probably feel this way too. They just know better than to keep posting cause they'll get roasted.

This isn't a hypothetical situation at all. In one of the TLOU2 threads someone posted about being so angry that they wanted to find Abby's face model and physically assault her. That happened.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Ableism, prior severe bans.
Unfortunately everyone uses the internet, including the mentally ill

you would have to be mentally ill to go after an actor for the actions of a character they didn't write for, let alone threatening violence over fiction in general.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure they understand the concept of fiction. And if that's the case they're likely pretty dangerous people to be around.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Laura is so good at her craft, it saddens me to see that these ppl are overwhelming her. Understandable though when you're getting so much hate and death threats, and ppl wonder sometimes why celebs lose their cool and respond to these losers.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit sickens me. Sent her some positive vibes her way. Fuck toxic ass gamers and also fuck toxic ass fucks who enable such bs via their platforms.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Oh, HELL NO. Laura is a treasure. Met her at a convention, have followed her work and Critical Role, and she and her husband Travis are just the best people.

Ugh, this just reminds me of the Vic bullshit. Probably many of the same groups. I don't even have any more words for this kind of bullshit.

Jayuk

Oct 27, 2017
I always get embarrassed as fuck knowing that my favorite hobby is filled with a bunch of manchildren. I understand that it's not just in gaming communities, but to see this stuff in the hobby I love the most, it's garbage and disappointing.

ForlornFate

Jun 12, 2019
I never understood why "fans" lash out at the actors and actresses portraying the characters. Sure, they have creative input about the characters they portray, but they aren't solely responsible for the character being the way they are. I totally understand hating a character though. I think that's the best compliment you could ever give a writer is that you as the audience connected so much with the story that it actually made you feel strong emotions like that, but it's silly that these people can't separate the character from the actor/actress.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I watched her spoilercast with KindaFunny and you couldn't find a voice actor/actress who's more caring and protective of their characters-played...I just wish these *words that would get me banned*...fucking degenerates would try to understand/respect who she is as a person befor puking up their bile on her. Sickening.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This makes me really ashamed to be apart of the gaming community. This is embarrassing and bewilderingly gross.

This is fiction, it's media. How?

How do people think this is OK???

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I'm so happy to see the waves of positive tweets being sent her way. For this one moment, it appears that Twitter is acting as a conduit for good. Honestly, I hope the love keeps flooding in. Laura deserves so much better.

This isn't a hypothetical situation at all. In one of the TLOU2 threads someone posted about being so angry that they wanted to find Abby's face model and physically assault her. That happened.
Funny how they didn't want to fight the crossfitter who is her body model.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get hating a character, but why the fuck would you attack the fucking VA/actor? Even attacking the person responsible, like the director is taking it too far. I would say "gamers suck", but same shit happened with Star Wars. Fuck this planet.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Embarrassing!!
some people are really strange!!!
how this is even possible!
if you analise this you come to a conclusion that some of this people can be really dangerous and need some kind of a treatment.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't people do something similar to the voice actress of Brigitte or what ever her name is in over watch?

Aug 12, 2019
There is no justifying any of this behavior towards Laura Bailey just because she acted in something that they didn't approve of. It's the same vile and immature stuff we've seen continually poison any discussion on this game, and it's frustrating to see it continue to threats of violence on a voice actor.

One thing that a friend of mine did point out though is that Druckmann's response saying that he hopes they get the "mental help" they need though is kind of the absolute wrong way to go around this. It conflates shitty behavior with genuine mental illness that is already stigmatized enough in society and I really wish he hadn't taken that approach in his response. Sometimes, probably even in most instances here TBH, people are just hateful all of their own doing.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Didn't people do something similar to the voice actress of Brigitte or what ever her name is in over watch?
Yes it did, people harassed her because the character she voiced was 'overpowered', I mean how toxic and disgusting must you be to attack the voice actress for that?

The same obviously applies for all these people attacking Laura, toxic manbabies hiding behind a screen sending death threats to her are absolutely vile people. It's sickening.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I don't use social media but this has been the one time I've been tempted to create a Twitter account just so I can send a positive message of support to these people.

Fuck the morons who sent these threats, each and every one of them needs a visit from law enforcement to get it in their thick heads that this shit isn't acceptable.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I hope in the face of this hate that Naughty Dog and more studios dig in their heels to push further into the topics and character moments that's causing these awful reactions. Don't give in to these hateful assholes.

Oct 31, 2017
Fucking weirdos and incels man. This is why people look down on gamers and the gaming hobby.

Who gets this mad over a videogame or any form of entertainment for that matter?

Imagine if TLOU2 wins GOTY? These people will commit mass suicide.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I just don't get it. Its a fuckin' video game. A piece of media that at the end of the day, doesn't even fucking matter. These people need therapy... Or Jesus!