• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Kit Harrington: The Thread.
He wasn't great in GoT.

Some incredible takes here. Nicolas Cage, Russel Crowe, Sam Neil ?

Will was not "terrible" in Enemy of the state, I Robot, the first Men in Black, even I am legend and Hancock, whatever we can think of those movies. He also did Six degrees of separation after Fresh Prince, and even If I didn't see the movie, I heard he was good in Pursuit of happyness.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leonard Nimoy. Outstanding as spock.
Absolutely terrible when he was supposed to be the master of disguise in Mission Impossible

We need a thread about actors who also sing and he'd be the GOAT.
I feel like this is true with pretty much every actor in the Sopranos. I don't remember James Gandolfini standing out in any post-Sopranos films. Plus, it's really, really, really hard to follow up something like the Sopranos. It's like a Top 3 TV show of all time.
Thought he was really good in Killing Them Softly. Though he appreared to be on the verge of a heart attack the whole time.
Judge Reinhold was incredible in Beverly Hills Cops 1,2 and 3. He never got much of a chance besides shitty family fare after that. He should have been the next Eddie Murphy or Dave Chappelle but white.
Never seen Vice Versa, the second best body switching movie after Like Father, Like Son?
honestly is surreal how incredible Jon Hamm was Mad Men and how completely unremarkable his career outside of it is. I always get excited for a moment when he shows up in any film and then immediately disappointed.
He's definitely better at his post-MM comedy roles. Dude is amazing.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this is true with pretty much every actor in the Sopranos. I don't remember James Gandolfini standing out in any post-Sopranos films. Plus, it's really, really, really hard to follow up something like the Sopranos. It's like a Top 3 TV show of all time.
Watch Gandolfinj in "The Mexican"

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Will was not "terrible" in Enemy of the state, I Robot, the first Men in Black, even I am legend and Hancock, whatever we can think of those movies. He also did Six degrees of separation after Fresh Prince, and even If I didn't see the movie, I heard he was good in Pursuit of happyness.
In most films Will Smith basically plays himself. He may have a different job or he might live in different time/place but the characterization is pretty much the same.

In Ali he gives an actually convincing portrayal of a real person. It's the only performance from him I have seen where I stopped thinking about the character just as a Will Smith alter ego.

Elysium and A Team. But that's still better than 95% of the picks posted.
And Free Fire.

Oct 25, 2017
In most films Will Smith basically plays himself. He may have a different job or he might live in different time/place but the characterization is pretty much the same.

In Ali he gives an actually convincing portrayal of a real person. It's the only performance from him I have seen where I stopped thinking about the character just as a Will Smith alter ego.
Again, Pursuit of Happiness, I Am Legend and Six Degrees and even Enemy of the State.

Hell, I don't even think he's that good as Ali because you can hear him fighting himself in parts of it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
ttvD03Q.jpg

She was incredible. The end of her story literally made my then girlfriend cry as we were leaving the theater. But after that it seemed like everything she was in was plain poor or had bad writing.

Oct 25, 2017
Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)
Adrian Brody (The pianist)
Okay my last correction because I fucking can't with you guys

Jeremy Renner - The Town, Wind River, American Hustle
Adrian Brody - Midnight in Paris (granted, it was a cameo), King Kong, Grand Budapest
Daniel Radcliffe - Swiss Army Man, What If, Miracle Workers

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Gandolfini had some decent roles but no major lead role afaik. He went into production and theater after The Sopranosa and had a couple of nominations, so still successful.
Eide Falco had Nurse Jackie (won an Emmy, six nominations).
Lorraine Bracco was known before through The Goodfellas. And many others had small roles in other gangster movies before so they were easy to recognize (Imperioli as well in Goodfellas).
Steven van Zandt continued his music career.

Others sort of fizzled away, many simply too old (Pauli for example). Imperioli was one who had potential but he didn't make much of it. Real shame.

chromefrog

Nov 26, 2017
Almost every take in this thread is bad.

Mine doesn't quite fit the bill, but for instance Aaron Paul seems to only excel at playing Jesse, and then goes on to half-ass it as Jesse lite characters. I genuinely believe Breaking Bad was just a case of "right place, right time". I haven't watched The Path mind you, so I'd like to be proven wrong with this. But with what I've seen he hasn't been impressive in years.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to say "awful", necessarily, but Kim Basinger in LA Confidential is outstanding when considering the rest of her career.

More of a burden of being typecast as a sex symbol and given paper thin roles to play than anything else.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Holy shit we actually have Russel Crowe, Gary Oldman, Nicholas Cage, Ben Kingsley, DiCaprio and Sam Neil mentioned here lmao. Watch more stuff people

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
raisinghed.jpg

Nicolas Cage's only good role (H. I. McDunnough from Raising Arizona.) He is absolutely terrible in everything else that I have seen him in.
Then you need to see Adaptation and Leaving Las Vegas Cage has a reputation but when he wants he knocks it out of the park these two specifically are some of the best performances I can think of ever from any actor

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
People are taking the op too literally.

Of course, there aren't any (well-known) actors that are great in one thing and terrible in everything else. Even a mediocre actor isn't terrible in every project they do. They wouldn't be able to sustain a career longer than a few years if that was true.

Better way to frame this thread would be "actors with one performance that is considerably better than everything else they have done" but that wouldn't be hyperbolic enough for this place so the thread would probably die before the first page.

Oct 25, 2017
People are taking the op too literally.

Of course, there aren't any (well-known) actors that are great in one thing and terrible in everything else. Even a mediocre actor isn't terrible in every project they do. They wouldn't be able to sustain a career longer than a few years if that was true.

Better way to frame this thread would be "actors with one performance that is considerably better than everything else they have done" but that wouldn't be hyperbolic enough for this place so the thread would probably die before the first page.
A lot of these answers would still be terrible still.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom

I agree. It also feels a bit mean spirited picking apart careers of B-listers and below, given the job situation and current times.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Pretty late to the thread but Imperioli is way more of a theater and low budget film actor than a mainstream film actor. He ran a successful theatre school and acted or wrote a lot of small indie films.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please convince me that Sharlto Copley doesn't belong in this thread.
I won't because he absolutely does. District 9 was his first and only convincing performance.
Holy shit we actually have Russel Crowe, Gary Oldman, Nicholas Cage, Ben Kingsley, DiCaprio and Sam Neil mentioned here lmao. Watch more stuff people
I mentally checked out after seeing someone mention fucking Gene Wilder.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Has Matt Smith ever done anything close to the level of his Doctor Who work?
I feel like that's as much as the quality of roles he's given as anything else. I don't know if that bizarre Ryan Gosling film or failed Terminator Reboot No. 124 are enough to go off. Wasn't he axed from Rise of Skywalker too? (Probably a blessing for him)