• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Outsiders thread?

0730_outsiders1.jpeg

The Outsiders thread. I bet most people today can name everyone in that shot except the lead actor.
C. Thomas Howell at least had Soul Man, and The Hitcher after that. So his career wasn't a total loss.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like this thread but feels needed some rules

Like what are we defining as side characters because some of them are like leads on ensemble TV shows, yes that has a center but also if you're around for 5-10 seasons....

And others are like blink and you miss it cameos, which would bolster a lot of shows that have procedural designs.

And then fame, are we defining it by box-office, general reception/movie star power or awards or a combination of everything

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Numerous Australian actors from tv shows Neighbours and Home and Away. Chris Hemsworth, Kylie Minogue, Margot Robbie, Holly Valance, Guy Pearce, Natalie Imbrulia, Russell Crowe, Caitlyn Stacey, Isla Fisher, Heath Ledger, Melissa George, Naomi Watts etc.

I remember Margot Robbie as a guest character and straight away you could see she was better than the regular teens. She became a regular but even then played the sidekick to one of the most annoying and badly acted charachters ever in a show that's had some real bad ones. Somehow the bad actress got all the major storylines and guys lusting after her while Margot was left to shine in the background for ages, then when she was more focused they took away much of what made her charachter interesting and she left soon after.

Just so you can see how bad her co-star was this is her infamous reaction to a friend having a miscarriage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXYa_LCJ7E

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
60% of the side characters of Band of Brothers became huge stars at one point or another

Neal McDonough
Michael Fassbender
David Schwimmer
Tom Hardy
Simon Pegg
Colin Hanks
Dominic Cooper
Jimmy Fallon
James McAvoy

BoB is probably unmatched for the number of future big names showing up in small/supporting roles.

Edit: probably excluding UK/Australian soap operas.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just older than everyone here, but the first one that came to mind was a Two-fer from Wings — Tony Shalhoub and Thomas Haden Church.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
none of that is true.

It's not only the number of shows, but the consistency of work AND the recognition.

Dreyfus has had a bigger audience than Jerry Seinfeld consistently for nearly *twenty straight years* now.

read that again. Jerry hasn''t done anything worth watching (and I saw that netflix special) in TWENTY YEARS.

Dreyfus has been the lead in television shows that have an audience of millions for two straight decades almost without stopping while Jerry was literally coasting on re-runs. Re-runs that she was in, almost without exception.

In terms of industry recognition she is also so far past where he is in terms of emmys, golden globe nominations, SAG awards etc that Jerry will never, ever catch up to her if he had the rest of his life to do it.

If you grew up after the peak of Seinfeld's popularity, Julia is going to be the more recognizable figure than Jerry, because Jerry has done jack shit since 1998.

And no one has any idea how much money she has- her father owned a shipping company worth billions before he died in 2016. Julia doesn't talk about that wealth and any estimates of her ACTUAL net worth because of this are impossible to figure out.

This is completely true. Anyone who missed Seinfeld would have little idea of who he is while Dreyfus has had so many different things that people associate her with.

I for one only knew her as the lead in Veep because I didn't watch Seinfeld until recently. Seinfeld I don't think I have seen in anything other than Seinfeld.

Seinfeld is probably more popular to a certain age group.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Amanda Seyfried and Tessa Thompson started off with small, recurring roles in Veronica Mars. Amanda's role was actually slightly expanded due to her performance (she was only supposed to appear in a handful of scenes) and Tessa got her first break.

While they don't have as big of a career as Kristen Bell overall - especially if we take into account her VA role as Princess Anna -, they are certainly getting much more prominent parts in film, while Kristen's movie career hasn't gone anywhere.

MV5BM2VmZjc5MzctZjAyZi00NjEzLTk2ZWMtZmVlNmY3YzU1OTFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzg4NTkwMjk@._V1_.jpg

bd1af759-1489-4b37-a771-ef084f85be60.jpg
You also forgot

krysten-ritter.jpg

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Time for some Nickelodeon..

FIFTEEN - Ryan Reynolds
bd3a0629e4cf5709e1da1fd57666c074.jpg

KIDS INCORPORATED - Fergie/Jennifer Love Hewitt
kids_incorporated.jpg

YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION - Alanis Morrisette
slide_247365_1443186_free.jpg

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Most folk will know of Capaldi's role in Fire's of Pompeii before becoming the Doctor...

But Colin Baker also played some guy in Doctor Who before being cast as the titular protagonist.
Well+colin+baker+played+commander+maxil+before+he+was+the+_060405171180a45a0b1abf85fca5499e.png

Daniel Kaluuya had a supporting role in Psychoville before being launched into Hollywood.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Was jack black big when he was on the x-files? If not then Jack Black. In fact the X-Files has a lot of this stuff.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you! All the Parks and Recs references for Pratt were driving me crazy with people leaving out Everwood. It was a great show and it's not that old. Watch it for free on a roku with the CW Seed App!

I loved and still love Everwood.
I probably have seen every Episode like 8 times minimum because it aired here in a loop for years after all the Anime that came on TV after school.

The whole Story outside of a small parts with Madison were just great as a Kid/Teenager and the characters were all loveable.
Especially in that Age i rooted so hard for Ephram and in the beginning when i watched it the first time hated Bright/Chris Pratt a lot before he became one of my favorites in the later parts and re-runs.

Great Show.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was it LOST that made her big? It's bizarre watching that GIF now.

Is she still big? I feel like I rarely see her now.

Edit: Wait yeah, she's The Wasp.

She has a really weird career arc. After lost she was completely gone for a while but came back with hobbit and antman. When does this ever happen for a woman?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Bob Odenkirk had a tiny, pre-Mr. Show role in Wayne's World 2.

J92VXxT.jpg

It took two decades and two huge shows, but he's arguably leapfrogged Mike Myers.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Amanda Seyfried and Tessa Thompson started off with small, recurring roles in Veronica Mars. Amanda's role was actually slightly expanded due to her performance (she was only supposed to appear in a handful of scenes) and Tessa got her first break.

While they don't have as big of a career as Kristen Bell overall - especially if we take into account her VA role as Princess Anna -, they are certainly getting much more prominent parts in film, while Kristen's movie career hasn't gone anywhere.

MV5BM2VmZjc5MzctZjAyZi00NjEzLTk2ZWMtZmVlNmY3YzU1OTFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzg4NTkwMjk@._V1_.jpg

bd1af759-1489-4b37-a771-ef084f85be60.jpg
This was almost my OP.

Oct 27, 2017
ITT people list major characters who didn't have their names listed first on the show. The Plastics in Mean Girls aren't side characters, they're the damn Mean Girls!

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
It's a blink-and-miss-it part where he's a Ranger being asked to sacrifice himself so his side can fool the enemy into going to a certain part of space to fulfill a strategic objective.

He gets a few lines but it's a bit part.

That's awesome, gonna have to find and watch that lol.

Edit: Found it. That's awesome. He was also a side character on Seinfeld and King of Queens pretty often too.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Chris Pratt's career has become far bigger than anyone else on Parks & Rec.

Discounting Rob Lowe, since he's been around for decades and was well-known prior to the show.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Citation needed.

and name recognition and "bigger career" are two very different things. More people probably know Marylin Monroe's name than Idis Elba's, but that doesn't mean Monroe had the bigger career.

Seinfeld benefits from having his name slapped on the show while no one else did. That grants him a certain level of recognition no one else on the show got as a result (note that this did not happen for FRIENDS). But since 1998 Jerry has done literally nothing. Dreyfus has raked in awards by the armload and eyeballs by the millions.

she has this, until he can prove he's capable of putting together two more hit shows like she did.
He's made nothing in 20 years yet he is worth about a Billion dollars and makes about $70 million a year.