• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
OIP.-xFrHTRS3tExMZyPYx167wHaLH
Is this Blue Steel or Max Payne?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People just can't accept that huge Hollywood stars from the 80s and 90s are no longer relevant anymore and can't star in whatever they want. And also, maybe they don't want to work on some fucking indie for 3 months away from their families making next to nothing (for them, lol).
TV is the space a lot of those former stars should be looking at. Attaching themselves to unexpected roles. It worked wonders for former Hollywood superstars like Christian Slater (Mr. Robot) and Winona Ryder (Stranger Things).

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TV is the space a lot of those former stars should be looking at. Attaching themselves to unexpected roles. It worked wonders for former Hollywood superstars like Christian Slater (Mr. Robot) and Winona Ryder (Stranger Things).

I wonder if a lot of these people are still stuck on that 80s/90s mentality that TV is beneath them or something.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I almost want to say Ben Kingsley, just because he's been in some genuinely dire shit in relation to his abilities as an actor, but then I think of Iron Man 3 and remember that, goddamnit, that man gives his all to a project.
He's a blast in his Marvel roles. Was surprised at the complaints of his last one.

Also... do I need to see Mask 2 for Alan Cumming now...?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if RDJ will fall into this. The Judge & Doolittle didn't do too well. I feel like playing Tony Stark for a decade will be a curse post MCU.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If you have a million dollars, you get Willis. It really is his only qualification, and it's apparently in an effort to accrue as much coin as possible before he physically and mentally collapses.

If Era found a way to collectively raise one million for a flick, we could book him.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Does/Did Christopher Walken count? Or is he in the Samuel L. Jackson "always got a job" category?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Ya'll... if you could make MILLIONS of dollars while walking on set for a FRACTION of the time, you'd take it.

You have nothing left to prove, the jobs are super easy... absolutely at his age, with as much as he's done - it's the absolute right decision.

It does not mean it's not absolute drek and sad... but there's a market for this. Your dads and your grandpas are LOVING these movies.

Nov 2, 2017
I think actors like Sam Jackson, Eric Roberts, and Nic Cage aren't picky with their projects because they genuinely love acting and working (although I know Cage has financial problems). They typically always bring it even if the movie is crap.

Hard to think of a more blatant example than Willis off the top of my head.

Exactly I bet actors like Sam J, Nic C, Neeson are extremely fun to work with, they might not be picky because personal issues but that doesn't mean they don't enjoy their work.

And there are once B/C tier actors like Aaron who can't get top work for one reason or the other, even if they want to.

And there is Bruce W. My guy's is fucking doooooone with all this shit. He neither enjoys working nor he has any aspirations to act in big movies anymore.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Liam Neeson deliberately hasn't stopped working since his wife's death.

I think I remember reading that Eric Roberts and maybe Samuel L Jackson don't say "no" to any roles.

If I remember right its in an interview he said it was less about the money but Jackson choses roles that are 'fun' often often beyond the actual worth of the project. Like "Me and the fam got to stay in a Villa off the Caspian Sea when I played the one eyed/one armed robot leader." "I loved Knight Rider so when they told me it was an evil talking car and I could be a badass Michael Knight I was in, ol.

Kilgore Trout

Oct 25, 2017
At least Neeson is even in his movies. Yeah, a lot of it is one note cliche stuff, but me and wife enjoy the general dumb fun of them. They all blend together, but sometimes I just want to watch a guns go bang movie.

Like Willis is hardly even in "his" movies anymore. He will be in a boring 5 minute scene and then some D actor is the actual star for 95% of it.

May 31, 2021
Willis, Travolta and Cage are in this weird space.

Willis has talent, but doesn't try. Travolta tries, but doesn't have talent. Cage, at least, has both. If you see a bad Cage movie, it is always a bad movie with a good Cage performance, see: Willy's Wonderland.

There is almost certainly the last edge of this square where someone lacks talent and doesn't try, but I'm assuming that is just giant pile of basically everyone else. Maybe, Thomas Jane as the first that comes to mind.
You can't tell me cage's co-star from face off doesn't have talent.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember right its in an interview he said it was less about the money but Jackson choses roles that are 'fun' often often beyond the actual worth of the project. Like "Me and the fam got to stay in a Villa off the Caspian Sea when I played the one eyed/one armed robot leader." "I loved Knight Rider so when they told me it was an evil talking car and I could be a badass Michael Knight I was in, ol.
Plus Sam Jackson didn't really hit big until he was in his mid 30's, so there was definitely a bit of 'make the money while I can cause who knows how long it's gonna last.'

Oct 26, 2017
How could I forget Lance Henrikson? One of my favorite actors who has starred in some of my favorite movies of all time, but by this point in his career the amount of pure work-for-hire dogshit has long since overtaken his classic roles.
Lance Henrikson was never "big" though, he probably doesn't have the luxury of being picky.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
He's a blast in his Marvel roles. Was surprised at the complaints of his last one.

Also... do I need to see Mask 2 for Alan Cumming now...?
Granted it's been years since I tried watching it but I would say no. Its not one of those "so-bad-its-good" movies, it's just painful and embarrassing for everyone involved.
Lance Henrikson was never "big" though, he probably doesn't have the luxury of being picky.
This is true, I guess his career path just hurts me on a personal level because, goddamnit, he was so great in Near Dark.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Can an actor retroactively ruin their career like this? I mean at what point does 12 Monkeys completely vanish from time?

Maybe if they really do a bunch of shit that gets circulated a lot (in memes I suppose). In the old days, you didn't worry about direct-to-DVD schlock affecting your reputation because honestly, barely anyone was going to see it. But today, I could see a constant run of awful acting get memed in a way that makes it difficult to rewatch their good stuff.

So, potential hot-take, but does Harrison Ford count? I mean, he clearly still has some passion projects that he puts effort into, but, boy, do I feel like he has also slept through some shit. I could be misremembering his performance, but I recall being legit shocked at how checked out he seemed in Ender's Game.

I don't think he ever truly wanted to be an actor. He just landed Star Wars and then Indiana Jones and blew up in a way that didn't make him happy. His last films that he tried for were in the 90s.

Fassbender went to live in Portugal with Alicia Vikander and their baby and from all accounts they're rather secretive so it's more like he's chosen to work less, it seems. But he'll be in the next Taika Waititi movie and he's currently doing the new David Fincher for Netflix.

Hey, you'd need a break too after that Assassin's Creed movie

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I don't think he ever truly wanted to be an actor. He just landed Star Wars and then Indiana Jones and blew up in a way that didn't make him happy. His last films that he tried for were in the 90s.
Yeah, you definitely get the sense that he'd rather just fly his planes and mostly just be left alone, which, hey, fair play to him if that's the case.

EXMaster

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought this skit summed up Nic Cage best:

www.youtube.com

Nicolas Cage's Agent

See exclusive articles and pictures onhttp://www.collegehumor.com !This next one's definitely going to ruin his career.LIKE us on: http://www.facebook.com/co...

He doesn't give a shit about high brow vs low brow. He just loves being in movies and acting.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Don Cheadle in all the Marvel movies this guy does not give a fuck zero effort. Give me my check here are your lines and I'm out.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Willis' last "proper" film was Looper, a decade ago. Since then it's all straight to VOD or him begrudgingly reprising a role.

I think I remember reading that Eric Roberts and maybe Samuel L Jackson don't say "no" to any roles.
Eric Roberts even did a podcast for Kinda Funny at the last minute.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
This is true, I guess his career path just hurts me on a personal level because, goddamnit, he was so great in Near Dark.

For all the garbage Lance is in (and boy is there a lot of it) he does occasionally make a properly great movie such as 'Falling' last year with Viggo Mortensen.

Nawwww seems like he's picking fun movies at the very least. Kinda reminds me of Elijah Woods movies in the last few years

Vince has made some great stuff lately. He has a really funny supporting role on Curb Your Enthusiasm and Freaky was fantastic. He was outstanding in Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete a few years ago. Dude still has it.