• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Giancarlo Esposito I have neever seen him be anything other than great in everything I've seen him in.
722fe7a08a16310dd8369a6b7926fcda61193162.jpg
ouat_mirror.png

Inexplicably another OUAT alumnus. How did they do it

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Portia de Rossi starred in three shows (Arrested Development, Better Off Ted, and Ally McBeal) and made all of them better. She's one of the more underrated "She makes shows better!" actresses around.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Tilda Swinton and Cate Blanchett elevate absolutely everything. Mads Mikkelsen is pretty great too.

Hannibal is a great show but without Mads, it's not a show worth watching.
I wouldn't go that far, because the art and sound direction as well as the ensemble cast are stellar, but Mads as Hannibal is absolutely one of a kind, and I don't think there's a better actor on the planet for that role in that show. Mads is the definitive Hannibal.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Giancarlo Esposito I have neever seen him be anything other than great in everything I've seen him in.
Can't wait to see what he does in The Mandalorian
722fe7a08a16310dd8369a6b7926fcda61193162.jpg

Yes. He even made Revolution somewhat watchable.

But I'll see your fantastic Mr. Esposito and raise you another BB alum, Dean Norris. Who also made Under the Dome somewhat watchable.

MV5BMTUzOTQ2NDIzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE0OTYwOQ@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I'll watch anything with Walken in it. He's been in some dreck, but he's always the best thing.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Nicholas Cage in basically every bad movie he's ever starred in. The fact that he always gives it his all, no matter how bad the script is, really improves the entertainment value. Like, for instance, would anyone remember The Wicker Man remake if it wan't for him? Doubtful.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Nicholas Cage in basically every bad movie he's ever starred in. The fact that he always gives it his all, no matter how bad the script is, really improves the entertainment value. Like, for instance, would anyone remember The Wicker Man remake if it wan't for him? Doubtful.

I will watch things I would never watch in a million years if I see Nic Cage in the credits.

Samuel L Jackson too. Had Anthony Anderson been the lead in Snake on a Plane I never would have watched it.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Watching Luke Wilson in Stargirl actually working instead of slacking and selling lines and moments that lesser actors couldn't made me realize that I probably wouldn't enjoy the show half as much without him and Brec Bassinger getting to just bounce off each other. I've been noticing this as a trend in the DC shows: hire good actors to make up for mediocre writing.

To me this is exemplified by this man right here:

440px-Tom_Cavanagh_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells/
Various Other Wells/Eobard Thawne (Reverse Flash)

This man took material and characters that should flatly not have worked and just sold it.

My other top pick might be controversial, but hear me out:

Gene_Wilder_as_Willy_Wonka.jpeg

Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka

Let me ask a question, remember Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Now, remove your memories that contain Gene Wilder. I'm going to guess what is left is probably only the musical numbers (and not even "Charlie's Song"), and maybe the child "deaths" if you want to just edit out the parts with Gene Wilder. This man made this movie. It was his idea for Wonka to come out limping with the cane into the somersault, because to paraphrase, "the audience wouldn't know what was real or a lie for the rest of the movie".

I feel like this is also one of the strengths of the MCU: the casting. Think about how many roles in the MCU are going to be forever associated with one actor: Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man, Chris Evans is Captain America, etc.

I just thought people could highlight the actors who elevate their works to another level.
Gene Wilder played Willy Wonker so perfectly, he was just the right amount of crazy, whimsical, serious, scary and loving all at once.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Some good picks in here, JK Simmons for sure

Andre Braugher is my pick. He was a force of nature on Homicide and the perfect deadpan on B99

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
John Lithgow

After his season of Dexter, it was just all downhill.
CoarseScholarlyGuillemot-size_restricted.gif

He was the best part of 3rd Rock From the Sun, and his Lord Farquaad was great in Shrek.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
I may get some criticism but Sean Connery in Indy Jones: The Last Crusade. He had some great one liners.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There are honestly too many examples (folks like Christopher Walken, Ed Harris, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Tim Roth, Guy Pearce, Hugo Weaving, Ewan McGregor, Song Kang-ho, Naomi Watts, Laura Linney, Julie Delpy, Eva Green, Mia Wasikowska, etc who manage to come out squeaky clean / good even in bad projects), but my favourite is probably Jeffrey Combs:

0fac355b0b4c32a3f5b6af1e98d24cf42c6e1036_hq.jpg

He's an absolutely terrific screen presence, and while he's occasionally found himself in some great flicks (Re-Animator), he's mostly spent his career being the lone bright spot in a lot of terrible low budget stuff.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ELOhhnpXUAAshYK.png

Joseph Morgan. He's just simply fantastic as a villain. Even when he has nothing good to work with, you can't help but love him.